Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Ah cool :) Let us know hows the Radar in a bit :P

Well I have it for review so I plan on doing just that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't know what I want from a phone. Using a HTC Sensation at the moment, but I really loved my Omnia when I had it, but got rid of it due to a few irritants which seem to have been rectified with Mango (no address bar in landscape, grrrrr)

I was playing with the Radar last week and it basically looks like a Trophy with a better screen. I've taken a demo Trophy home so I'll update it to Mango and see if it suits a bit better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Oh i really wish HTC would bring out a revamped version of the mozart. Maybe with a slightly larger screen and thinner bezel.

In looks Mozart and Desire S are the nicest looking phones to me.

If they brought the mozart out with 16GB NAND, better camera, slightly bigger camera and 1.5ghz it would be a winner for me :)

Im really not digging the looks of the Radar and Titan that much. But it could change once i get a hands on.

I thought the Omnia 7 was ugly when i was looking at pics. But when i seen a real one i loved it :)

Still waiting for Sammy to bring out something better than Omnia W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Oh i really wish HTC would bring out a revamped version of the mozart. Maybe with a slightly larger screen and thinner bezel.

If they brought the mozart out with 16GB NAND, better camera, slightly bigger camera and 1.5ghz it would be a winner for me :)

Im really not digging the looks of the Radar and Titan that much. But it could change once i get a hands on.

I thought the Omnia 7 was ugly when i was looking at pics. But when i seen a real one i loved it :)

The radar really is an ugly device. From the initial shots I thought it had a slide out keyboard - owing to that odd/huge bezel. Do like the Titan, it's probably the first HTC phone to grab my attention in a long time and this is coming form someone who pretty much loathes their current design language on the Android line. I really wish they'd break away from that "slight variation on a single design" they've got going. Still think the HD2 is one of the most attractive phones ever designed.

The radar really is an ugly device. From the initial shots I thought it had a slide out keyboard - owing to that odd/huge bezel. Do like the Titan, it's probably the first HTC phone to grab my attention in a long time and this is coming form someone who pretty much loathes their current design language on the Android line. I really wish they'd break away from that "slight variation on a single design" they've got going. Still think the HD2 is one of the most attractive phones ever designed.

Nah, at the time HD2 was a very lovely looking phone. But the hardware buttons sorta got ugly after a while :)

Mozart, Samsung Focus S, Nexus One/S, Desire s, Wildfire S. My favorite phone desigs. Not a big fan of slab like devices and if you noticed most of these phones are quite curvy :)

I just wish minimum specs were 16gb for storage. One of the main things holding me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Got an email today from Vodafone - HTC Titan now out! Price varies from free to €199. €479 on prepay which is surprisingly alright I guess.

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/paymonthly/porting/index.jsp?handset=TITAN&manufacturerSelected=ALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Guys whats the latest update out there?

I checked my phone thru zune today, it saidno update avail. And that the last rollback pt was april.

My current os version is 7.0.7390

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

I checked my phone thru zune today, it saidno update avail. And that the last rollback pt was april.

What phone do you have?

You can check update availability here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-world.aspx

Trevor451 wrote: »

What phone do you have?

You can check update availability here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-world.aspx
    Htc hd7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Got an email today from Vodafone - HTC Titan now out! Price varies from free to €199. €479 on prepay which is surprisingly alright I guess.

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/paymonthly/porting/index.jsp?handset=TITAN&manufacturerSelected=ALL

Was playing with it a few times over the past few weeks and I have to admit to being very very impressed with it. Feels really nice in the hands, tasty screen and very snappy.

Good to hear. I'll be annoying carphonewarehouse employees tomorrow then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

According to reviews, the video camera on this reverts back to basic settings. So everytime you want to make a 720p movie you have to first change the settings. There is no way of saving the settings. Can anyone tell me is this a HTC thing, or is it an OS thing? If its HTC then I'll hold off and wait for another handset to be released. If its an OS thing then I'll go for an Android or iPhone tbh! This is just bad design and I can see it annoying the bejesus out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

According to reviews, the video camera on this reverts back to basic settings. So everytime you want to make a 720p movie you have to first change the settings. There is no way of saving the settings. Can anyone tell me is this a HTC thing, or is it an OS thing? If its HTC then I'll hold off and wait for another handset to be released. If its an OS thing then I'll go for an Android or iPhone tbh! This is just bad design and I can see it annoying the bejesus out of me.

Can you link to where is says the HTC Titan doesn't save the camera settings, I haven't seen any reviews of the HTC Titan saying this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Can you link to where is says the HTC Titan doesn't save the camera settings, I haven't seen any reviews of the HTC Titan saying this? :confused:

HTC Titan Review
    But there is one quirk we found here that will quickly annoy regular shooters. By default, the HTC Titan is set up out of the box to take advantage of the bare minimum of settings (shoot in VGA, turn off stereo recording and so on).
    You can, of course, change all of this so that you shoot in the best possible mode, but as soon as you exit the camera app it reverts back to the original poorer settings and you have to go in and change it all each time you use it.
    We're aware that HTC has probably done this so that you're always set up to shoot MMS-shareable videos by default, but we really wish that we were given the option to save our most recent settings as most smartphones do.

After reading again they seem to be suggesting its a HTC thing...still disappointing the wait for a Mango phone continues :(

HTC Titan Review
    But there is one quirk we found here that will quickly annoy regular shooters. By default, the HTC Titan is set up out of the box to take advantage of the bare minimum of settings (shoot in VGA, turn off stereo recording and so on).
    You can, of course, change all of this so that you shoot in the best possible mode, but as soon as you exit the camera app it reverts back to the original poorer settings and you have to go in and change it all each time you use it.
    We're aware that HTC has probably done this so that you're always set up to shoot MMS-shareable videos by default, but we really wish that we were given the option to save our most recent settings as most smartphones do.

After reading again they seem to be suggesting its a HTC thing...still disappointing the wait for a Mango phone continues :(

Watch pocketnow.com review of the titan. I think he saved the settings and went in and out after

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

All WP7 phones did this before Mango, you should be able to save the settings on all of them with Mango (works for the Omnia7 anyway).

Watch pocketnow.com review of the titan. I think he saved the settings and went in and out after

Yes and here's slashgear saying the same.

"As for video recording, while Full HD would be nice we’re limited to 720p on the Titan. Continuous focus and stereo audio recording are both options – the former on by default, the latter off – and happily there’s now a “save settings” option which locks your choices in. Previous Windows Phones would reset you back to the VGA quality option (as well as lose any other settings changes you’d made) each time you reopened the camera app."

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-titan-review-12187565/

Yes and here's slashgear saying the same.

"As for video recording, while Full HD would be nice we’re limited to 720p on the Titan. Continuous focus and stereo audio recording are both options – the former on by default, the latter off – and happily there’s now a “save settings” option which locks your choices in. Previous Windows Phones would reset you back to the VGA quality option (as well as lose any other settings changes you’d made) each time you reopened the camera app."

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-titan-review-12187565/
    I know that. Don't know what was going through their head when they forgot to include that option in 7.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone know what the online thing is next to text messaging, it always says no one is online.

Is there a list of what is in mango?

Jet Black wrote: »
    Anyone know what the online thing is next to text messaging, it always says no one is online.

If you use MSN messenger or Facebook chat your online friends appear in that list when they are online and you can send them messages from there. Works great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I just tried plugging my phone into my xbox to listen to music while playing my games, only to find it doesnt work.
    What the hell Microsoft? iPhones work, but Windows Phones dont? Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

DjFlin wrote: »
    I just tried plugging my phone into my xbox to listen to music while playing my games, only to find it doesnt work.
    What the hell Microsoft? iPhones work, but Windows Phones dont? Seriously?

Good point!

Small bit annoyed. I updated a few of the shop phones to Mango, and now I can't download apps until November 12th because I've used too many devices and have to wait to remove one until that date! Good thing there's excellent Twitter and Facebook integration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I'm a little concerned that the GPS on my LG no longer works after Mango. Because if the work i am involved in, i rely heavily on my satnav. I went down to the car phone warehouse where i bought the phone, and they weren't interested. I called vodafone support and they told me to contact LG. I called LG and they just logged the fault. At the end of the day who is responsible? If i bought a washer dryer and it stopped drying who is my legal claim to replacement/refund with? I am getting tired of being fobbed off.

I'm a little concerned that the GPS on my LG no longer works after Mango. Because if the work i am involved in, i rely heavily on my satnav. I went down to the car phone warehouse where i bought the phone, and they weren't interested. I called vodafone support and they told me to contact LG. I called LG and they just logged the fault. At the end of the day who is responsible? If i bought a washer dryer and it stopped drying who is my legal claim to replacement/refund with? I am getting tired of being fobbed off.

...and now lg have told me to contact microsoft....

...and now lg have told me to contact microsoft....

Have you tested the GPS with any other apps?

Maybe try a warrenty claim with LG and send it back to them.

http://www.lg.com/ie/support/repair/support-warranty-claims.jsp

Try dealing with Samsung or Three for support. See which ones worse :)

• Advertisement

Have you tested the GPS with any other apps?

Maybe try a warrenty claim with LG and send it back to them.

http://www.lg.com/ie/support/repair/support-warranty-claims.jsp

When I called LG they said that they didn't have a repair centre in Ireland however they gave me a number in Dublin of a phone repair crowd they recommend. I can imagine some back street workshop going at my phone with a set of screw drivers for 8 weeks and finding nothing wrong with the hardware. I have found this http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-Manufacturers-and-OS/GPS-Fails-after-WP7-Mango-Update/td-p/872141

I am going to try the trick of turning off location services, restarting the phone and they turning it back on again.

Try dealing with Samsung or Three for support. See which ones worse :)

Try dealing with HP AND running Linux!

When I called LG they said that they didn't have a repair centre in Ireland however they gave me a number in Dublin of a phone repair crowd they recommend. I can imagine some back street workshop going at my phone with a set of screw drivers for 8 weeks and finding nothing wrong with the hardware. I have found this http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-Manufacturers-and-OS/GPS-Fails-after-WP7-Mango-Update/td-p/872141

I am going to try the trick of turning off location services, restarting the phone and they turning it back on again.

You'll have to send it off to the LG in the UK to get it fixed under warrenty. Ring this number 0044 844 847 5454 and book it in.

You have tested this with other GPS apps?

You'll have to send it off to the LG in the UK to get it fixed under warrenty. Ring this number 0044 844 847 5454 and book it in.

You have tested this with other GPS apps?

I have tested it with other apps. It's definitely not confined to the turn by turn software that i bought.
    I will be going out in half an hour. I will see then if the fix i mentioned above works. If it does then I don't see any point in sending it into a repair shop. I think it is OS related.

I have tested it with other apps. It's definitely not confined to the turn by turn software that i bought.
    I will be going out in half an hour. I will see then if the fix i mentioned above works. If it does then I don't see any point in sending it into a repair shop. I think it is OS related.

Ugh i would disagree.

If it was an OS issue all of us would be stuck without GPS.

For once i noticed that Bing maps does take longer to catch a valid GPS signal compared to NoDo or Mango Beta's than other apps.

It could be a driver issue or it might be OS considering other apps for me catch the signal no problem

I tried turning off location and restarting. No joy. The good folks at the car phone warehouse were onto me via fb and got me to change a couple of things in the engineering menu. I was also able to test the gps directly from there. It ain't happening gentlemen. The problem has been raised with Microsoft. How much is that new HTC on Vodafone's €60/300 minute plan?

The HTC Titan is free on there €65 plan

500 worldwide minutes - 500 worldwide texts - 1GB data allowance

I'd just flash on the original firmware and see if that makes a difference. I don't think it's anything to do with the OS, it just's a coincidence its happened around the same time as the Mango update

EDIT:

Here's a link to the instructions http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935578

I would install the EUROPE OPEN firmware

I will talk to Vodafone first and see about the HTC. I don't hold out too much hope as the last time I was looking for an early upgrade I was told I would have to wail until after Christmas (I was due in febuary). I pulled the receipt for this phone and its showing 14th January.

I will talk to Vodafone first and see about the HTC. I don't hold out too much hope as the last time I was looking for an early upgrade I was told I would have to wail until after Christmas (I was due in febuary). I pulled the receipt for this phone and its showing 14th January.

Yeah their not very willing to give out early upgrades. In some cases they could manage to shake of a couple of days for the sake of convenience.

But sales reps, or customer care reps on the phone cant do anything about it unless their manager is around

• Advertisement

Engadgets mostly positive review of the Titan mentioned scratched glass as well. I'm seeing the same complaint from a number of users around the net since it launched. HTC havent confirmed if it's using gorilla glass but I'm beginning to wonder if they cheaped out on this. Corning's HTC product page doesn't mention the Titan either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Got a bit of a fright yesterday....my car started reading my texts to me and giving me the option to reply:pac:

I presume this is something to do with mango or LG update ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

gps is not working on my optimus 7 also. Its just using A-GPS.

Got a bit of a fright yesterday....my car started reading my texts to me and giving me the option to reply:pac:

I presume this is something to do with mango or LG update ?

Its Microsoft TellMe Speech Client. It reads out your texts, you can also send texts and open apps or search bing by just pressing and holding the home button or call button in car kits.

Very handy feature in the car. Couldnt live without it now :)

No more annoyed people for not texting back while driving :D

You can also change a few options in settings and speech option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Are those updated Maps I see...? :D

Are those updated Maps I see...? :D

Yes they are :) Not alot of changes to Ireland in my experience. Just mainly different color scheme. Some people reported road fixes in other "MORE IMPORTANT" countries :)

Anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyway :) Press Shots from Nokia :) Hope these are real :) cause thats slick slick slick :)

Nokia-800-Black.jpg
    Nokia-800-Blue.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yes they are :) Not alot of changes to Ireland in my experience. Just mainly different color scheme. Some people reported road fixes in other "MORE IMPORTANT" countries :)

Anyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyway :) Press Shots from Nokia :) Hope these are real :) cause thats slick slick slick :)

Nokia-800-Black.jpg
    Nokia-800-Blue.jpg

looks like they just 'shopped an n9 :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    looks like they just 'shopped an n9 :confused:

Most consumers wont even know what the N9 is considering the N9 wont be released here via a carrier :(

So meh :)

Its all go for me if the specs are right :)

The company I work for have just launched their App for 1 of their 2 main brands and guess what ....

iPhone and Android devices only!?:mad:

When I challanged this I was told the following:

9.12% of visits are from mobile devices.
    Of the mobile visits the following are the percentages:
    iphone
    47%
    ipad
    29%
    Android
    18%
    iPod
    4%
    Symbian
    1%
    Blackberry
    1%
    Windows
    0%
    Nokia
    0%

5.58% of all site transactions are from mobile devices
    Of these the following are the percentages:
    iPad
    73%
    iPhone
    17%
    Android
    10%

So, no value in developing an app for windows phones at the mo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Interesting. I knew the % of market share for Windows phones was low. I didn't think it was that low.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The company I work for have just launched their App for 1 of their 2 main brands and guess what ....

iPhone and Android devices only!?:mad:

When I challanged this I was told the following:

9.12% of visits are from mobile devices.
    Of the mobile visits the following are the percentages:
    iphone
    47%
    ipad
    29%
    Android
    18%
    iPod
    4%
    Symbian
    1%
    Blackberry
    1%
    Windows
    0%
    Nokia
    0%

5.58% of all site transactions are from mobile devices
    Of these the following are the percentages:
    iPad
    73%
    iPhone
    17%
    Android
    10%

So, no value in developing an app for windows phones at the mo :(

It was the same for Android when it was released. iPhone this, iPhone that. Nothing for android. Microsoft seem to be putting their weight behind WP7, when they do that they can be dangerous. Look at how the Xbox has done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement