Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank Fire Pistol - Questions

Options
  • 02-08-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've a couple questions on getting a blank fire pistol in ROI. I've read a number of threads here, and I know that all I need is permission from my local super.

My question is, how likely is my super to grant permission?

Context:

• 20 Year old Student (Working full time over the summer)
    • No prior convictions
    • No existing firearms licence

The reason I want the pistol is for use in WW2 Re-enactment. I'd be looking at getting Walther P38 or Luger P08 if possible. Failing that a .22 revolver.

Also, what information do I need to supply? What timescale would I be looking at? Are there particular models of blank fires that I should avoid (eg the Olympic one that prompted the ban in the UK?)

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The FCA1 is an application for a firearm. As the blank firing guns are not categorised as a firearm, and there is no allowance for them on the FCA1 it is not needed.

You must apply, most likely in writing, to the Superintendent of the local district. Supply the reason why you want the pistol, any supporting paperwork you can provide to show you are a member of a re-enactment group, and a letter from the dealer you are buying from stating clearly it is a blank firer.

If you are into WWII then no modern day pistol replicas need consideration. So the Olympic(s) one you mention is irrelevant as is the ban on any firearm in the UK. It has no bearing on Irish law. I'd also be curious as to where such blank firers can be gotten. Most any i have seen are replicas of modern day firearms. Might not suit the theme.

Lastly the timescale. No one knows and that is an unfortunate but truthful answer. There backlogs all over the country for real firearm applications, and unless they process authorisations for blank firers differently or faster than real ones it could be days to weeks to months before you get it.

That is about as much as i can give in terms of advice. Perhaps if someone has been through the process they might clarify any mistakes i've made.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 evidex

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

I got one issued for training a dog.

It was a long drawn out process. Basically its not normal run of the mill stuff for the super so he had go and do some homework. But of course that took a while.

There was a lot of questions. Why wouldnt a cap gun work? What about a recording hooked into a minispeaker? How many rounds will I need? How long will I need it for. And of course what proof do I have that I actually need it? Why am I the only person applying for one, why arent other hunters applying for their dogs? What methods are other hunters using? In short precise bullet points, write down and explain why exactly do I *NEED* this.

After a few months of faffing around he finally granted it in the end for 4 months. In the interview I told him I would need it for 3 months just to get the dog used to bangs etc... but on the letter he said he'd give me an extra month which was nice of him. But at the end of the 4 months I had to give it back to a firearms dealer and send the receipt into the station or I could apply for an extension. Failure to do either of those would result in me possessing... I cant remember the exact words... but basically possessing something Im not authorized to have and I'd be arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Given that all the WWII stuff ( maybe with the exception of 8mm Nambu ) are still current calibers I reckon you'll find a lot of deactivated guns available from Colt 1911's to Lugers, Webley revolvers and you name it but I'm afraid that anything using a derivative of a normal round or ultimately capable of being reconditioned to live firing capability will require a standard FCA1 application.

As for blank firing only lookalikes have a look here; http://www.modelguns.eu/pistols.htm

It appears like the pistols advertised use a particular kind of load that makes it impossible to load with either a crimped regular pistol round or a "live" pistol round. If anything it may make your journey towards owning one a bit easier.

Advertisement