Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kendrick Lamar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Give the recipe a few more listens, it grows on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

yea not a bad song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Give section.80 a proper listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Big fan of everything black hippy are doing lately (except maybe for Jay Rock). Schoolboy q and ab soul had really great albums this year - though kendrick steals the show on his feature on each.

Kendrick steals a feature on nearly everybody though.

Must give each BH members solo stuff a listen before the BH album, yet another collection of music to add to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

floggg wrote: »
    Big fan of everything black hippy are doing lately (except maybe for Jay Rock). Schoolboy q and ab soul had really great albums this year - though kendrick steals the show on his feature on each.

ye its amazing that jay rock was the original flagship artist for the group but was just totally eclipsed by lamar and schoolboy who i think is second in command as far as talent goes.

I like ab soul but i cant get into his debut album for the life of me, really dont like it. Jay rock is the more old fashioned typical gangsta rapper of the group, everyone else seems to be a lot more broad in their music in terms of what they actually rap about.

I like them all though, jay rock is still a good gangsta rapper imo. He's the one who introduced me to lamar and black hippy in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anyone listen to pre Section 80? Like the Kendrick Lamar EP.

Are they any good?

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Anyone listen to pre Section 80? Like the Kendrick Lamar EP.

Are they any good?

without a doubt listen to overly dedicated, that's my favorite out of the 2. give them both a listen, you wont be disappointed.

love the end of the heart when he nearly chokes himself from rapping lol.

He was on one or two Game* songs that were alright, nothing enough for me to notice him at the time though.

This is when he was called k dot after that I only hear him way after section.80 and even after the r.e.d album.

*well Game was also on one or two of his/others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

First I ever heard of "K-Dot" was on a Jay Rock track that also feature Lil Wayne:

As I was a getting into Jay Rock due to this being one of my favourite tracks at the time:

Then section 80.

• Advertisement

Just saw on lamars Facebook that the video for the receipe is due in the next 3 weeks but more excitingly he's said we could have the 2nd single from the album this month !

Can't wait for both especially the new single ! Also I hope cartoons & cereal is on the album despite it sounding like a section 80 leftover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

cool

This is going to be a long wait ! I honestly taught we'd get it this summer considering the receipe was released around 2 months ago.

Receipe video should be due out this week too. In all not happy about this release date, fu*king ages away.

There's a new single though dropping soon according to Lamar.

TBH i am still waiting on a big hit from him. i dont think his the new nas/eminem though. maybe he will be as good as "GAME"?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Really like some of Section 80, love Hiiipower and Recipe (took a few listens). He destroys Game on his own albums and is a far better MC than him in my humble opinion. I reckon KL going to be monster!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Let's not start comparing him to The Game please. The thread will be closed if that starts happening.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Let's not start comparing him to The Game please. The thread will be closed if that starts happening.

im not being smart but is the game taboo here now or something? its a relevant point that was brought up, both are west coast artists aswell as dre's past and present.

i agree with sarabroderick, but lamar is making any track he ft's on his own not just the city with game. KL is 100 times the mc game is but i doubt he'l have games commercial success tbh.
    TBH i am still waiting on a big hit from him. i dont think his the new nas/eminem though

do you not like the receipe? when the video comes out it might blow up. I think a KL single ft label mate eminem could kick start his commercial career.

im not being smart but is the game taboo here now or something? its a relevant point that was brought up, both are west coast artists aswell as dre's past and present.

i agree with sarabroderick, but lamar is making any track he ft's on his own not just the city with game. KL is 100 times the mc game is but i doubt he'l have games commercial success tbh.

do you not like the receipe? when the video comes out it might blow up. I think a KL single ft label mate eminem could kick start his commercial career.

i've had a few listens to recipe and it doesnt "wow" me the same way nas/eminem wowed us when they first came into the scene.

To me he looks like another "Game" but i will reserve judgment for when more songs come out.

Game was decent but Dre's name carried him. Cant say the same about Eminem, he created his own style etc, like Nas

i've had a few listens to recipe and it doesnt "wow" me the same way nas/eminem wowed us when they first came into the scene.

To me he looks like another "Game" but i will reserve judgment for when more songs come out.

Game was decent but Dre's name carried him. Cant say the same about Eminem, he created his own style etc, like Nas

He's nothing like the game, he's a better MC, nicer flow etc. If you think he sounds like game after hearing section 80 then you probably didnt listen to it.

And eminem didnt create his own style, he jacked Nas' and AZ's flows when he first came out, he eventually developed his own style though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Slightly taboo, every time he is brought up it decends into a rollercoaster ride on the forum of name calling and bannings/infractions. I'm trying to nip thing before they start.
    I'm all for healthy discussion, if it can be kept civil it's allowed, but once the madness begins i'm putting an end to it with bannings.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    he eventually developed his own style though.

Kinda sorta.

He is a better rapper than Game though and has more potential wider consumer appeal.

(He is also better than 50, kanye and several others too imo but it is very early on in his career)

It is too early in Kendricks career to be talking Nas, Eminem, 2pac etc

Slightly taboo, every time he is brought up it decends into a rollercoaster ride on the forum of name calling and bannings/infractions. I'm trying to nip thing before they start.
    I'm all for healthy discussion, if it can be kept civil it's allowed, but once the madness begins i'm putting an end to it with bannings.

fair enough but i think its healthy enough at the moment after all lamar is the biggest rapper out of the west since game so a comparison is inevitable here at some stage even though they are completely different in terms of style and the majority of their content.
    It is too early in Kendricks career to be talking Nas, Eminem, 2pac etc

very good point, the man hasnt even an album out yet.

lamar freestyled for westwood without a blackberry in sight.:D

Not best debut, best album period.

That is a bold statement, especially from someone who isn't that cocky.

Not best debut, best album period.

That is a bold statement, especially from someone who isn't that cocky.

i know, its crazy tbh.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    He's nothing like the game, he's a better MC, nicer flow etc. If you think he sounds like game after hearing section 80 then you probably didnt listen to it.

And eminem didnt create his own style, he jacked Nas' and AZ's flows when he first came out, he eventually developed his own style though.

i diddnt hear Nas talking about similar subjects then eminem and eminem doesnt have same flow as Nas. far from it.

Eminem can rap a comedy song with fouled mouth catchy lyrics, Nas? far from it. he is more of a traditional serious rapper not joking around in his songs.

I will check out section 80 now and see if it can wow me like eminem/nas. if not we will wait til his album drops.

I am now hearing this kid is saying his album is the best ever made? such a bold redicolous statement showing cockiness already when hasnt done anything meaningful at all.

Not a good sign so far but lets wait and see. i think he wil just be another "bog standard" rapper that offers no refreshing uniqness to the rap game.

i diddnt hear Nas talking about similar subjects then eminem and eminem doesnt have same flow as Nas. far from it.

Right, you havent listened to infinite then, it's like listening to Nas or AZ but with a different voice, if you disagree then you're just in denial.
    I am now hearing this kid is saying his album is the best ever made? such a bold redicolous statement showing cockiness already when hasnt done anything meaningful at all.

It's a promotion technique, he gets people like you doubting him then comes along with a piece of work that blows peoples minds, it happens. It's like Muhammad Ali calling himself the greatest fighter that ever lived when he hadnt beaten anybody of note, he was an extreme underdog and then he goes and beats Sonny Liston for the title.

Kendrick could seriously surprise us all, he's extremely talented, and this is coming from somebody who isnt even a big fan of him.
    Not a good sign so far but lets wait and see. i think he wil just be another "bog standard" rapper that offers no refreshing uniqness to the rap game.

He's already proven himself as somebody who isnt a "bog standard" rapper, he's different and is already offering uniqueness to hip hop. I can see him going places with the effort Dre seems to be putting in to him. With all the work dre is doing at the moment he found time to feature on a song with kendrick, that must mean he has ideas for kendrick.

I agree with paddy.

my own personal opinion is that section 80 is arguably the best piece of hip hop released in the last 5 years along with WTT, there the only 2 recent albums that i really listen to. I think section 80 is genunally a modern day hip hop classic tbh.

There hasn't been a new rapper that has caught my attention like Lamar since 50 and kanye broke through in the early 00's, everyone else just started of with promise but they either fell of or failed to live up to the hype i.e j.cole ( still a fan, just didn't like his debut for the best part, letdown.)

I started of a fan and someone who liked lamars music but after hearing section 80 it turned him into one of my favourite rappers and he doesn't even have an album which is crazy but overly dedicated and section 80 are better than the majority of hip hop released in recent years plus I love the fact he's from LA and that he's very unique in style and what he raps about.

But none the less it is an incredibly Cocky thing to say, better than illmatic, doggystyle, MMLP, chronic etc ? I really really hope it is for the sake of hip hop. Most rappers are like fighters though conditioning themselves to feel like their the best, it's nothing new but it can come across cocky or disrespectful to those before him.

• Advertisement

2Pacalypse Now, NWA, Death Certificate and 1/2 more cube solo albums, BDP, EB&R, Run-Dmc, a lot of PE, a lot of Beasties etc all came before this cut off point of 20 years ago btw.

But better than all of Nas, Jay, Biggie, solo Rakim, a lot of Ice Cube, Snoop, Dre, Eminem etc (just to name really succesful mostly 90's rappers)

But he is essentially take the most recent (and most sizeable chunk) of hip-hop and saying his debut will be better, I hope it does not flop.

I genuinely dont think it's gonna be the greatest album ever, but it's gonna surprise the doubters. To be called the greatest album ever its gonna have to be better than the likes of,illmatic, sslp, ob4cl, reasonable doubt, speakerboxx etc etc

I want it to be a really good album though, I'm looking for a reason to start liking him, i just cant seem to get into him no matter how much i listen to section 80.

Section.80 has such a high replay value, not even individual tracks I have found myself re-listening to the whole album whenever a song pops up on random on my iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Saying that this album will be the best album of the last twenty years will inevitably lead to this disappointing a lot of people, no matter what.

I really hope it is though.

The Hip Hop machine is always looking for the next best and greatest group or individual to appear on the scene and deliver a classic debut album.
    There have been so many people over the last X number of years that have been hailed as the next greatest but always tend to disappear or not live up to the hype. Probably the most recent example is J.Cole, although his music is decent, it just didnt live up to expectation, Jay Electronica before that, which is a different story entirely......this can continue back for 20 years as K.Dot puts it, because has there been anyone since Biggie that has realeased a 5 star, classic debut album that has lived up to the hype.

If we look at some of the majors at the moment, Kanye went pretty un-noticed for a while, his debut did eventually get some recognition, but was out with about 2 or 3 singles before it did. Jay-Z didnt get mega large until his 3rd album. Lil Wayne only has gotten his popularity in the last few years but has been rapping and recording for about 15 years. Again, this can go on and on.

But Kendrick definitely has the potential to release that classic debut that will blow people away. There is nothing wrong with the confidence that he is displaying, as he has the form so far to go with that confidence.

I myself dont think that Section.80 is a classic, there are alot of songs that could be stripped off that, but there are some excellent tracks on it. Rigamortis is one of the best songs that I have heard in a long time.
    If he builds on that and produces more of the good consistenly for Good Kid, Bad City, they it could definitly be a classic.

I agree mostly but SSLP was an instant classic and was after Biggies first/second.

If Kendrick said "best album of the last 10 years" I think people would be skeptical but would be a lot more open to it.

But I hope it does live up to it, if not he can be another Game or even Crooked I and still release good music but not sell a lot.

• Advertisement

I agree mostly but SSLP was an instant classic and was after Biggies first/second.

Not a debut album though! I'm also not sure if there was too much hype about SSLP, i think it gained a bigger momentum after the first single release, which was after the album was in stores.....i may be wrong here.
    But any hype at the time was about a white rapper being signed to aftermath, rather than the quality of the work. It then escalated after the first single was released.

There are probably many other rappers/albums that I've forgotten about!

Not a debut album though! I'm also not sure if there was too much hype about SSLP, i think it gained a bigger momentum after the first single release, which was after the album was in stores.....i may be wrong here.
    But any hype at the time was about a white rapper being signed to aftermath, rather than the quality of the work. It then escalated after the first single was released.

There are probably many other rappers/albums that I've forgotten about!

Infinite should not count if Section.80 does not count, imo.

I agree on the white angle, but still the album stands up there with other classic "first"/first albums quality wise (although it sold a lot more)

I myself dont think that Section.80 is a classic, there are alot of songs that could be stripped off that, but there are some excellent tracks on it. Rigamortis is one of the best songs that I have heard in a long time.
    If he builds on that and produces more of the good consistenly for Good Kid, Bad City, they it could definitly be a classic.

as far as hip hop sounds today i think its as close to a classic you can get, fair enough it didn't sell that well and impact the commercial scene to an extent where the public can be brainwashed into thinking lamar is on the same level as a eminem, nas, kanye, jay z etc but then again you have average rappers/albums like a officer rick ross an industry created fictional character that you would easily be fooled into thinking he's the big commercial thing in hip hop atm but in reality his bark is worse than his bite, the man has never gone platinum with like 6 albums, he barely goes gold, he's all hype worse thing 50 ever did was respond to him because he put him in the limelight.

back on topic :), Bar WTT i honestly struggle to compare a recent album to section 80, if you cant comfortably call this a modern classic what else is there? I dont see what songs you could really strip off it , theirs a proper story behind it, each song is like a chapter they blend into each other perfect.

Tracks 13-15 could possibly be seen to be excess and be stripped, but after several listens I like them too.

But they definitely fit in imo, and they are great songs but just not on the other 13 songs level but that is more nitpicking than anything else for me.

Those 3 songs have grown on me though, much like Lamar in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Wouldn't take the "best album" comments too literally, just another way of drawing attention to the release date. Kendrick's not for everyone, a lot of people I know love him on the likes of 'The City' but would never listen to something like Section.80. He doesn't have a huge commercial appeal, nowhere near Wayne, Em, Jay, etc. Really looking forward to his album but I won't be comparing it so Illmatic and SSLP right off the bat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Section.80 was dope and stuff like Keisha's song were very refreshing but I dunno...not really hyped for the album. I think it's gonna be like KRIT all over. I liked LFTU but it couldn't mess with Returnof4eva or 4evanaday...I think K-Dot is gonna be the same!!

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Ditto...although The Format>...that was just insane. Good album too....absolutely pissed AZ's not on Life Is Good...and the same with Primo....wtf is Nas at?

Btw speaking of Primo, I just found out about one of his ancient collabs like 2 weeks ago but I've been playing everyday since...it's by Craig G. the dude who murked Supernat...it's called Ready Set Begin...good ish
    Premo submitted beats for Life Is Good but Nas decided not to use them as they didnt fit with the overall theme of the album. But they are planning a full album together instead.

To get this back on topic, what about Kendick over Primo beats, i think that would work.

The Primo/Nas collab has been talked about with yonks...of course I'd love to see it happen but unless they have over half the tracks in the vault from the 90s it'll disappoint me. Primo isn't as dope as he used to be and the same can be said for Nas but to a lesser extent. Still though it'd be crazy dope and you'd defo have AZ, Jada, Rakim maybe and more on it. Why couldn't that have happened in the 90's?haha

As for K-Dot over Primo. That'd be very interesting but yeah I agree it would work nicely. Yes Primo and X, What A Mess that was great. The GZA vocal on the hook was real dope

As for other west coast artists collabing with Primo. Well I remember him f-ing with Snoop and Ras Kass and remember last year Game's Born In The Trap and Evidence too who he seems to be really down with.

He isnt called the teacha for no reason, he goes out there to give a message, not display how good a lyricist he is like Nas would.

Sooooooooo kendrick..............

Yes thats true but still when Nas wants to spread a message I think he does that better too. Look at Black Zombie. Even though I or probably most of us here can't relate to it directly the message in it is brilliant but yet its a very catchy and it's one of my favourites by Nas. And then I Can which is poppish but its a great song again. Look it I'm done with discussing KRS here for a while :L

haha yes K-Dot. So what you all make of The Recipe? Absolute banger imo...even Dre wasn't too bad

The recipe is song of the year for me so far, purely because nothing better has come out imo. Dre just jacked Kendricks flow which is to be expected because he jacks the flow of any rapper that writes for him. Scoop did a nice job on the beat, i'd be interested to see if he has any roll to play on kendricks upcoming album.

Yeah it was the first thing I recognised too but I think it worked well....yeah this year has been pretty bad for good releases. I've been busy with the Leaving Cert so the amount of albums I've checked out has been reduced. Daughters by Nas stands out for me. Rahlo by One Be Lo was another. And that Reks/Action Bronson collab on Straight No Chaser. Anyway K-Dot. Honestly I don't know much about the beats he gets or the producers he's down with. I'm really slacking when it comes to paying attention to producers haha. I'm expecting something with J. Cole though. Their planned project is actually supposed to going ahead too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

KL will at least have a few classics, history I fear will not be as kind to Drake or Lil Wayne

MOD NOTE: I've moved loads of the off-topic posts to the 'Everything Else' thread, nothings been deleted

2nd song of good kid in a m.a.a.d city "swimming pools". Fairy decent , laid back kind of song.

dont know if its an official single but the recipe video is coming in the next week or 2 aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement