Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rye River Brewing Co

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Might be a good time to change the title of this thread now. Started off as a bit of a hate camaign itself but is now leaning towards an appreciation thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorted.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    It's sad really that someone would spend time creating stickers in the same font as the packaging.

Yeah, the lunatic that did this went to an awful lot of effort, and they had an awful lot of time during the process to think about what they were doing and to reassess their stupid idea. It's not as if it was done by a marker pen on a whim.

On a more positive note, I had their Grafters Pale Ale recently and really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

As Alex (rye river brewer) raised the issue on Beoirs forum. Beoir has issue a response, some may have not see it. But if its OK the the mods i will post it here.

"Beoir was founded on the principles of supporting the indigenous, independent microbreweries of Ireland. That withstanding, we have kept out of the discussions of personal preferences within the Irish craft beer movement, mainly because they are personal and thus subjective. What happened today in a Waterford shop is something we felt we had to speak out against. It was wrong pure and simple and seems to be motivated by a hatered that is not generally found in the Irish craft beer scene, but it does appear to have reared its ugly head. Ireland currently has a rich and growing brewery community, filled with some really great people. Rye River is brewery that meets both Beoir’s and revenue's criteria for a microbrewery and this act is nothing short of an attack on the Irish craft beer consumers and consumer choice. Support Irish craft beer, acts like this run against our principles.

Beoir Officers."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone's on the borderline between a sadcase and being quite dangerous there, I think. That's a Supervalu, surely they'd have CCTV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what's CCTV going to do, exactly? Stick someone's face out there and you could land in defamation hot water, I mean it's probably extremely mean spirited and a bit sad, but it's not illegal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

what's CCTV going to do, exactly? Stick someone's face out there and you could land in defamation hot water, I mean it's probably extremely mean spirited and a bit sad, but it's not illegal.

It's damaging the retailers stock - that is illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

There are some mean spirited mofos out there.

Don't like the product, let your €'s do the talking...

Placing stickers on a product is seriously OTT & vindictive IMHO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'm really surprised that someone felt strongly enough to go to the considerable effort to make the stickers. There are far greater affronts to Irish beer and to other Irish products out there.

Next stop: Calvita cheese, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Anyone who posted in here from Wexford??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

oblivious wrote: »
    As Alex (rye river brewer) raised the issue on Beoirs forum. Beoir has issue a response, some may have not see it. But if its OK the the mods i will post it here.

"Beoir was founded on the principles of supporting the indigenous, independent microbreweries of Ireland. That withstanding, we have kept out of the discussions of personal preferences within the Irish craft beer movement, mainly because they are personal and thus subjective. What happened today in a Waterford shop is something we felt we had to speak out against. It was wrong pure and simple and seems to be motivated by a hatered that is not generally found in the Irish craft beer scene, but it does appear to have reared its ugly head. Ireland currently has a rich and growing brewery community, filled with some really great people. Rye River is brewery that meets both Beoir’s and revenue's criteria for a microbrewery and this act is nothing short of an attack on the Irish craft beer consumers and consumer choice. Support Irish craft beer, acts like this run against our principles.

Beoir Officers."

I'm a little amused at this as there has been plenty of bashing of RR/McGargles by one or two posters on here with large Beoir sigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

n97 mini wrote: »
    I'm a little amused at this as there has been plenty of bashing of RR/McGargles by one or two posters on here with large Beoir sigs.

Just because you're a member of Beoir doesn't mean that you're not allowed have an opinion.

What goes on on Beoir should stay there. Keep on-topic please.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

But what happens if you think it's an insult to Irish craft beer....which I personally think it is.
    It's down the drain stuff.
    Although it ain't the only brewery from Ireland who I've been less than impressed with and left me scratching my head as to why someone would go brew something so crap.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But what happens if you think it's an insult to Irish craft beer....which I personally think it is.

You don't buy it, simple as that. Why anyone would feel the need to print stickers to express their dislike for any product is beyond me. Will they be stickering Budweiser as an insult to beer in general next?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I'd be very surprised if the person who did the sticker deed is not on this forum, or this thread. I'd also be shocked if they have even tasted any of the range recently, or perhaps had one but only after deciding they hated it before hand. There's a lot of band wagon jumping here by those that are easily lead or don't know any better.

It's brewed to a price - and not an expensive price - and for a target market that's not those who are the most vocal on this site. This whole drain-pour nonsense and ott complaining can be cringeworthy to laughable at times.

As has been said before, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

But if you really want to form an opinion of their beers then do a blind tasting of it with other Irish 'craft' beers and see where it comes. Many of you are not being honest to yourselves or those who read this forum and thread.

And no I'm not RR 'fan boy' - I won't be wearing a 'Je Suis McGargles' badge any time soon. I don't often buy their beers, mainly because the come in 4 packs and I don't like the branding, but I tried a couple of the McG range recently and they're fine, not beers I'd buy every week but there's nothing wrong with them, they have no infections or major flaws. Neither do any of the rest of the RR brands that I've tried, including the Lidl range.

And no, I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, but maybe form it in an unbiased more impartial way, and maybe clarify that opinion with something credible and more helpful to those new to craft beer who visit this forum.

Haters really do be hatin' sometimes ... Who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I wouldn't drink it because it tastes like piss, but the sticker thing is not called for. If you don't like it just support better beers by buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Their West coast ipa is up for beer of the festival this weekend, ive heard lots of good reviews, I also tried the crafty range stout and really liked it. And at 4.99 for 4 it's great value. Onwards and upwards for Rye river.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The festival seems like the perfect opportunity for the unconvinced to try some of their more ambitious brews. I, for one, will be trying some of their stuff out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Quite messed up that someone would do this, cowardly act by some misguided idiot who thinks he is helping the industry. It's crap like this the poisons the market and goodwill, you don't like something you vote with your wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I've tried the McGargles beers before and didn't like them. Then I tried the Solas beers from Tesco and didn't like them. Then I picked up a pack of stout from the lidl selection and I didn't like them either. So I was in Dunnes last weekend looking for a budget craft beer and all that was on offer was a beer I'd never heard of, Grafters Pale Ale. I looked at the back of the bottle and lo and behold it was another Rye River beer. I bought 2 of them and wasn't expecting much at all. Thank god I was totally wrong, it's a lovely beer with a great hoppy freshness and aroma and a lovely sweet caramel finish with a medium body. If this stays at €2 a bottle, this will be my go to Pale Ale. Fair play Rye River and I hope this is a turning point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I had their West Coast IPA tonight. Wasn't spectacular, but drinkable enough. Better than others I've tried. I've almost become a supporter of theirs as a result of the sticker thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I enjoyed the baltic porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Ah ****e this thread is still active, can a mod at least add a note to my original post saying I've completely changed my mind, and am now a supporter of Rye River?

Had their smoked dunkelweizen at the RDS tonight. I was well impressed with it, the smokiness was present but very subtle and the beer itself was as good as any other dunkelweizens I've had. But what I enjoyed most was the blackboard they had at the back of the stand proclaiming today as "Insult to craft beer day". Fair play to them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Going to make a point of trying some of their new stuff tomorrow, that sticker thing was completely uncalled for. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I would never let some stickers get in the way of trying a new beer. Having said that, tried the McGargles larger (in a bar in which it was the only craft-like beer) recently and was pretty disappointed. Sadly Guinness' Hop House 13 was the only other reasonable choice and won out in the battle of the taste wars. Will keep an open mind, but will wait for some favourable reviews before dipping my oar in again. That smoked dunkelweizen sounds right up my alley though. Hope it's available in a more general release.

That smoked dunkelweizen sounds right up my alley though. Hope it's available in a more general release.

The guy on the stand told me it'll be available in bottles some time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wonder how many people didn't bother trying their beers at Altech but because of the sticker thing were interested to try them at the RDS?

There really is no such thing as bad publicity!

• Advertisement

Ah ****e this thread is still active, can a mod at least add a note to my original post saying I've completely changed my mind, and am now a supporter of Rye River?

Sorted. ;)

tHB

Advertisement