Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things a gentleman should be able to do

Options
  • 19-12-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that a lot of skills that would have been common in my father's or grandfather's times are no longer so prevalent amongst the current crop of gentleman. Everyday, simple skills that were necessary or simply advantageous to have in bygone days are falling by the wayside due to changing lifestyles and increasingly omnipresent technology. Why learn how to re-wire a plug when the building's handyman can do it for you; why bother acquiring the ability to tell North from South when an app will do it for you?

Of course I'm generalising here. Lots of gentlemen know lots of skills, but I d think that there has been some slippage. And I'm at the head of the pack when it comes to these un- or under-acquired skillsets. So I thought it might be an interesting project to assemble a list of the skills and abilities that a gentleman should have, and set about working on the list in the new year. Maybe acquire a new skill every two weeks or something.

And, not having acquired the skill of compiling exhaustively complete lists, I thought I'd turn to the upstanding denizens of The GC for inspiration. Put simply, can you add a few skills or abilities that you believe every man should have in an ideal society. Anything and everything can be included, but try to keep it somewhat serious!

I'll start with a few:

1. The ability to wire a plug
    2. The ability to sew a button onto a shirt/ simple darning
    3. The ability to chart a course using the sun or stars or other natural methods
    4. The ability to change a tyre on a car

And so on and so forth...

(this is where you lot come in! :D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Shave with a cut-throat razor

Tie a double windsor

Tie a bow tie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Jawgap wrote: »
    Shave with a cut-throat razor

Tie a double windsor

Tie a bow tie

I must shamefully say that I cannot do any of the above :(

For my own contribution I will add:

* Mend a puncture on a bicycle.
    * Set a nice fire (coal or wood).
    * Open a metal topped bottle without the need for a bottleopener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Jawgap wrote: »

Tie a double windsor

Tie a bow tie

Agree with this though I would proffer that a full Windsor knot would be the least preferred knot unless using a tie of thin material. A Pratt/Shelby or FIH knot would be my choice.

My own addition - and not part of the skillset of many men from previous generations - is the ability to:

- Iron properly. No man should have to rely on his mother or some other significant woman in his life to wear a respectable looking shirt.

- Cook a decent meal from scratch. I'm not saying meals should be of Michelin star quality but they should definitely be beyond pour in sauces and be of a decent enough standard to serve to guests if you had them over for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

~ write a love letter
    ~ court a woman
    ~ dance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Be able to name the varieties of trees about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Polish a pair of shoes properly, a proper mirror shine is something my grandad taught me yet it appears to be a dying art in favour of shine pads at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

These practicalities are things that every able-bodied man should be able to do. Knowledge of these doesn't make a man a Gentleman. Every gentleman is a man but not every man is a gentleman.

Bleed and flush heating system.
    Know your fuse box.
    Cook food.
    Use a washing machine and dishwasher.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Heavy Pierre

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Agree with this though I would proffer that a full Windsor knot would be the least preferred knot unless using a tie of thin material. A Pratt/Shelby or FIH knot would be my choice.

My own addition - and not part of the skillset of many men from previous generations - is the ability to:

- Iron properly. No man should have to rely on his mother or some other significant woman in his life to wear a respectable looking shirt.

- Cook a decent meal from scratch. I'm not saying meals should be of Michelin star quality but they should definitely be beyond pour in sauces and be of a decent enough standard to serve to guests if you had them over for dinner.

Full Windsor knot is the way to go. FIH knots have a tendency to become loose. Also Pratt knots can look lopsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

"A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't."
    - Tom Waits.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Was a thread on this a couple of years back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71393952

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Know the correct forms of fighting a duel over an affair of honour. For as Chesterton said, 'Even a bad shot is dignified when he accepts a duel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Parallel park
    • Tell a joke properly
    • Fix a dripping tap
    • Build a campfire and keep it burning
    • Know how to smoke a cigar
    • Solve a quadratic equation
    • Not renege on his word (including wagers)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Einhard wrote: »
    It seems to me that a lot of skills that would have been common in my father's or grandfather's times are no longer so prevalent amongst the current crop of gentleman. Everyday, simple skills that were necessary or simply advantageous to have in bygone days are falling by the wayside due to changing lifestyles and increasingly omnipresent technology. Why learn how to re-wire a plug when the building's handyman can do it for you; why bother acquiring the ability to tell North from South when an app will do it for you?

Of course I'm generalising here. Lots of gentlemen know lots of skills, but I d think that there has been some slippage. And I'm at the head of the pack when it comes to these un- or under-acquired skillsets. So I thought it might be an interesting project to assemble a list of the skills and abilities that a gentleman should have, and set about working on the list in the new year. Maybe acquire a new skill every two weeks or something.

And, not having acquired the skill of compiling exhaustively complete lists, I thought I'd turn to the upstanding denizens of The GC for inspiration. Put simply, can you add a few skills or abilities that you believe every man should have in an ideal society. Anything and everything can be included, but try to keep it somewhat serious!

I'll start with a few:

1. The ability to wire a plug
    2. The ability to sew a button onto a shirt/ simple darning
    3. The ability to chart a course using the sun or stars or other natural methods
    4. The ability to change a tyre on a car

And so on and so forth...

(this is where you lot come in! :D)
    Surely a gentleman would have servants to do all of that for him?

I took this thread to something of an extreme myself some years ago. I have a lot of land around my house due to a fortunate purchase and I decided I would not just rectify my lack of plug wiring skills but my lack of any skills. I became the ultimate DIY junkie.

To the point I ended up building a house. Foundations - cellar - walls - wiring - plumbing - insulation - the lot. It it not a huge affair. Its very open plan - rugged - but high tech in a few ways too. Bathroom - bedroom - open plan kitchen/living/eating area. So I guess these days I am well able to wire a plug and work out how to replace the washers on some taps :)

I do not see anything as being pretty gentlemanly per se however. My daugther is 4 and I have already thought her how to wire a plug - do fuses - and a few other tricks with hammers and screw drivers. Though she knows well also never to engage in any of this unsupervised. She will be every bit as capable as any of your or my grandparents by the time she is 12.

I therefore struggle with defining the word "Gentleman" which is why I am on this area of the forum - hoping I will work out a definition that fits. I can not think of anything that fits that word for me that does not equally apply to women. Someday I might :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

I am proud to say, all of the above my ten year old can do..

mostly learned through scouts, he can wire a plug, tell north from south, know a fair few trees, can change a fuse in a plug, alot from scouts and in fact I learned the same skills through girl guides.

I new generation of gentlemen on their way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My daugther is 4 and I have already thought her how to wire a plug - do fuses - and a few other tricks with hammers and screw drivers.

lol, yeah.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    lol, yeah... Sure.

Yip. She also thought me recently how to do loom bands. Pretty dextrous stuff it is too - took me multiple(!) tries to get it right too.

Kids are far more capable at things than we give them credit for and when you sit them down and show them how to do things that require simple dexterity and repetitive action - they are insanely good at it. And wiring a plug when you think about it - is not the hardest thing in the world by far. Id love to know which step in the process your skeptical reaction is focused on :)

They will surprise you with their skills - if you let them. They can also sit and mindlessly watch peppa pig for hours if you let them do that too :)

Though I love how your skepticism leapt first to a 4 year old wiring a plug and not a 30 year old learning masonry plumbing and electronics to the degree he built his own house :)
    animum wrote: »

mostly learned through scouts, he can wire a plug, tell north from south, know a fair few trees, can change a fuse in a plug, alot from scouts and in fact I learned the same skills through girl guides.

Its one of the great things about having kids. You get to relearn this stuff by teaching it to them. Or learning it yourself to teach to them. In fact I have read a few times that the BEST way to learn anything is to spend the time while learning it - working out how you will teach it to someone else. Rather than absorb facts and skills therefore - you really engage with the fact and skills in your planning of how to re transmit them to the next person.

animum wrote: »

Must be a scout thing........

I'm still tying bowlines, sheep shanks etc 30 years after I left!!

So to add I think a gentleman should be able to tie the following knots......
    • The reef knot - always useful along with the sheepshank
    • the bowline - for tying up one's yacht (extra bonus points for being able to it one handed!!) or the round turn and two (or more) half hitches
    • The highway man's hitch - for tying up your horse
    • How to splice a rope and to coil unattached rope neatly and properly using a gasket type coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Full Windsor knot is the way to go. FIH knots have a tendency to become loose. Also Pratt knows can look lopsided.

We'll have to agree to disagree on which knot though I'm sure we can both agree being able to properly tie at least one knot is important!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I took this thread to something of an extreme myself some years ago. I have a lot of land around my house due to a fortunate purchase and I decided I would not just rectify my lack of plug wiring skills but my lack of any skills. I became the ultimate DIY junkie.

To the point I ended up building a house. Foundations - cellar - walls - wiring - plumbing - insulation - the lot. It it not a huge affair. Its very open plan - rugged - but high tech in a few ways too. Bathroom - bedroom - open plan kitchen/living/eating area. So I guess these days I am well able to wire a plug and work out how to replace the washers on some taps :)

Do you mind if I ask how you accomplished that, T? Books, help from neightbours or friends, Youtube videos, etc? That's quite an achievement.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Given the specialization of jobs that there is today, I reckon that a lot of basic skills are just not prevalent any more.

If you go back to the 1950s, I understand that people were carrying out their own auto repairs. Granted, the electronics in today's motors makes self repair a tougher task now but it just isn't done to the same extent at all anymore as far as I can see.

I have to say that I quite admire the likes of Crapbag in the Bushcraft thread in Outdoor Pursuits. He is a big advocate of primitive skills. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055315103/1

If I had to pick a skill I would choose starting a fire without a lighter or matches.

Got to be honest and say there's a lot of stuff there that anyone with any reasonable scouting experience to venture level could do.

Thanks my years spent scouting I can still tie plenty of useful knots (and lashings- incredibly useful for shelter building), start a fire without matches, navigate using a map & compass, tell direction (not just N,S,E, & W) with an analogue watch, figure out how much daylight is left on any given day, cook (without utensils), make a biscuit tin oven, as well as first aid and 'hygiene in the field.'

In later years, post-scouting I learned how to skin and butcher, and how to forage for wild mushrooms.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Squat, deadlift, rows and run for 30 minutes straight.

Change a tyre

Not be afraid to cry or show emotion

Be able to do chin up/pull ups

Gut a fish

Shave with a knife

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

build a house

repair a car

divine for water

tell the time by the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Have good water pressure in house . Nothing worse than bad water pressure .

Do you mind if I ask how you accomplished that, T? Books, help from neightbours or friends, Youtube videos, etc? That's quite an achievement.

Books and videos sure - but mostly forums on different things. DIY fanatics - hobbyists and the like. Couple of trade friends gave me pointers too. So it was an amalgamation of things.

Was a nice project to do on my land - and in the end I let a girl I met from the internet who needed a bit of help stay there a couple of years for free with her brother. So it became a charity thing too. Also helped to have the building lived in a bit too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given the specialization of jobs that there is today, I reckon that a lot of basic skills are just not prevalent any more.
    Very much so TM. I was lucky in some ways in that my dad was born before 1920 and was an engineer, so I grew up with that fix it if you can mentality.
    If you go back to the 1950s, I understand that people were carrying out their own auto repairs. Granted, the electronics in today's motors makes self repair a tougher task now but it just isn't done to the same extent at all anymore as far as I can see.
    Yep and I've seen that up close. A few years back I was going out with someone who was a bit younger than me. Anyhoo, she reckoned her car needed a service and her garage was charging like a wounded bull for the privilege(IMHO). So I said feck that, I'll service your car and show you how for future reference. So I bought the oil, filters, brake pads etc and went ahead, with the help of the interwebs for her particular model. Anyway, some of her male mates were there on the day and they were self describing petrolheads and they were watching me do the service like I was practicing some arcane alchemy. These days with the interwebs it's actually easier to do this stuff, yet so few do. Oh and she picked it up first time and did her own servicing afterwards.
    If I had to pick a skill I would choose starting a fire without a lighter or matches.
    I can actually do that TM. Oh and knock up stone tools(Neandertal stylee) in a pinch. If it was 80,000 years ago I'd be in the back of the cave with the slow kids, but I can actually do it after a fashion.
    Oh god no SD. Unless you have a cardiologist and you want to test the local emergency services response time... :D
    Change a tyre
    Check.
    Depending entirely on circumstances, but yep.
    I can do a couple... See above.
    Gut a fish
    Yep, though actually catching the fish in the first place is the real trick.
    Shave with a knife
    I've shaved with an obsidian blade. Oh yes. Full caveman here. :D Though I would add, the ability to actually grow a beard, that wasn't a few sparse hairs on the upper lip and some bum fluff below the chin line. There's a reason why "neckbeard" is a pejorative term. OK if you're 17, but if you're 27, get thee to an endocrinologist and fast.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Change a tyre

Gut a fish

Shave with a knife

I can do one of these. Excellent.
    Books and videos sure - but mostly forums on different things. DIY fanatics - hobbyists and the like. Couple of trade friends gave me pointers too. So it was an amalgamation of things.

Fair play though. Can't have been easy or quick.
    Was a nice project to do on my land - and in the end I let a girl I met from the internet who needed a bit of help stay there a couple of years for free with her brother. So it became a charity thing too. Also helped to have the building lived in a bit too.

I think I read this in one of your old posts. Again, fair play.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Full Windsor knot is the way to go. FIH knots have a tendency to become loose. Also Pratt knots can look lopsided.

I find the full windsor to be a bit bulky. The lack of symmetry in the FIH offends me... Half Windsor is my standard knot.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I really really like it when a man can dance well, and lead. Few my age can unfortunately.

Advertisement