Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

daragh_ wrote: »
    diy-wall-bike-hanger.jpeg

Unfortunately, my parents don't like the idea of my bikes inside the house, nevermind hanging in their living room....god only knows why :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just goes to show you can't have everything, great artist, awful taste in music.

Awful taste in music? :eek: Don't think so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Zyzz wrote: »

Mumford and Sons Lyric or Gandalf Quote sums it up really :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This time next year people will be asking Mumford and who ? :)

Y'all are entitled to your own opinions :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

colm_gti wrote: »
    Sold my TT bike a few months ago due to lack of use, and picked up a set of cheap clip-on aero bars for the odd occasion that I do a TT now, to compliment my skin suit and pointy helmet....

Went about seeing if they'd fit my fancy-ish handlebars (FSA K-Force Compact Carbon) the other day. The instructions on the clip-ons say to tighten the handlebar clamp to 8-10Nm....bit tight I thought, so I opted for the same torque as the stem (5Nm) to start with to see if that was tight enough.....bars didn't slip, happy out!

Removed them shortly afterwards to find they had made a slight crease/indentation in the carbon on one side, frig! Can't really trust them anymore for racing on, bars replaced with a set of aluminium 3T bars (which are actually more comfortable, and match my 3T stem).

So, I have a 42cm FSA K-Force carbon handlebar, that is potentially fatally damaged that I don't know what to do with. If anybody wants to take it off my hands, it's all yours, but don't hold it against me if they snap in half mid-spin....

Hi,

I'd take the potentially fatal bars please. A buddy of mine teaches in LIT and is occasionally looking for fancy carbon bars to test in the lab with the students.
    Or I'll hang a bike on them as per the suggestion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This time next year people will be asking Mumford and who ? :)

They'll be like ' is that the fellas selling a bag of chicken fillets for a fiver '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Got up this morning to find our kitchen floor smeared with blood across a large area. Sometimes I utterly hate cats, and now we have to wonder whether there is a half-alive frog or mouse (not a rat, not a rat, please don't let it be a rat!) dying slowly in some nook or cranny in the kitchen. Not a good way to start the day. I guess if there is a (near) corpse there somewhere we'll soon be able to follow the trail of flies to find it. I hate flies, corpses, and cats (and rats, I particularly hate rats).

My toast with raspberry jam held a little less appeal this morning too. On the plus side though, I didn't get soaked on the way into work but it'll take more than that to redeem this day so hopefully the ICL race tonight will avoid the rain too. But still though, up yours cats, up yours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

doozerie wrote: »
    Got up this morning to find our kitchen floor smeared with blood across a large area. Sometimes I utterly hate cats, and now we have to wonder whether there is a half-alive frog or mouse (not a rat, not a rat, please don't let it be a rat!) dying slowly in some nook or cranny in the kitchen. Not a good way to start the day. I guess if there is a (near) corpse there somewhere we'll soon be able to follow the trail of flies to find it. I hate flies, corpses, and cats (and rats, I particularly hate rats).

My toast with raspberry jam held a little less appeal this morning too. On the plus side though, I didn't get soaked on the way into work but it'll take more than that to redeem this day so hopefully the ICL race tonight will avoid the rain too. But still though, up yours cats, up yours!

Your only mistake was "Sometimes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Got up this morning to find our kitchen floor smeared with blood across a large area. Sometimes I utterly hate cats, and now we have to wonder whether there is a half-alive frog or mouse
    Growing up our cat used to occasionally leave dead animals at our door. I read somewhere that it was the cat's way of giving you a present*.
    I hate flies,
    Flies hate cloves. Leave some cloves on a jam jar lid wherever you don't want flies*.

and rats, I particularly hate rats)
    Rats hate cats. Our apartment complex used to have a rat problem near the bin area. The management company got some wild cats, spayed them, left them around the complex and the rats disappeared.

*Could be nonsense.

• Advertisement

The lesson here is; cover your cat in cloves and all your problems will disappear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Growing up our cat used to occasionally leave dead animals at our door. I read somewhere that it was the cat's way of giving you a present*.

Our cats are pretty generous so, been like Christmas here for the last month. Usually if they're peckish they just leave us the head, but we've had a pretty large variety of whole and partial vermin of late including mice, rats, small birds, two pigeons and even a magpie. Living next door to a shop with a deli counter leads to a fair number of rats, and having cats keeps them at bay. I don't mind small animals per se, but when one crawls under the floorboards / dry lined walls and dies it becomes a major issue. I had this last year and still have the many holes drilled in the floor of one room to prove it. Anyone need the loan of a backlit builders endoscope, let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

smacl wrote: »
    Our cats are pretty generous so, been like Christmas here for the last month. Usually if they're peckish they just leave us the head
    Back when I had a cat, he used to leave just the stomach of whatever he'd killed :o Nice and tidy, no blood, just a little greyish pouch on the doorstep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The only logical answer is zombies I'm afraid....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I didn't get soaked on the way into work but it'll take more than that to redeem this day so hopefully the ICL race tonight will avoid the rain too.

How did that go for you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Hey thought this might be of interest to forum:

Troicki a player inside top 100 has been banned for 18months by ITF (tennis UCI and probably as bad in how they preform duties) huge suprise as they have barely ever come after any of their top names before usually punishing lesser known players with lifetime bans etc and slap of wrists for other players. He gave a pee test but refused to give blood. article here

all links back to operation puerto piece i did which has many links to not just tennis but also football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Didn't think my question justified a new thread so here I am.

Can anybody tell me if there's much of a difference between the Orbita Trekking and the Jupiter Tuscon? If they're decent bikes, to replace a mountain bike so can only presume it'll be a lot faster? Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any info!

How did that go for you? ;)

Pedaling out to race, keeping an eye on dark clouds in the distance, I was all "I'll be fine". About 1km from Brittas the skies opened up a bit and I was all "Ah jaysus" as i pulled on my rain jacket. Dried up before the start and I was all "Ah grand" as I put my soaked rain jacket back in my pocket.

During the race I was all "Ouch!" and "Slow down ye feckers!". When I got dropped I was all "*puff*, *pant*, and *wheeze*".

After putting my rain jacket back on for the ride home and discovering it was soggy and sticking to my arms I was all "Ah jaysus" again. Then my Garmin starting acting the maggot and beeping at me like a mad thing and I was all "Ah heyor. Ah jaysus" once more.

So, on balance, it was a fun but a largely "ah jaysus" evening, which counts as much better than the "Ah fookin' hell!" morning bit. Yayyy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Looking for some maintenance advice
    I'm beginning to get a small bit of play from my bottom bracket. I can slightly rock the cranks and there is an occasional cracking/creaking noise from that general area.

So is the BB dying or can I do something to tighten things up? It's a shimano press fit on a 2011 Giant TCR1 (2011).

If I have to replace it, is it a job I could reasonably tackle (i've replaced threaded BBs before) or is it one for the LBS?

Ta

NMG

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if there's much of a difference between the Orbita Trekking and the Jupiter Tuscon? If they're decent bikes, to replace a mountain bike so can only presume it'll be a lot faster? Anything else I should know?

To cut a long story short, neither are great and you won't get anyone recommending either. They are only fit for the occasional trip to the shop. The cheapest decent quality bikes you can buy are Carrera's from Halfords, B'Twin from Decathlon (in the North) or second hand (if you know what you are looking for).

To cut a long story short, neither are great and you won't get anyone recommending either. They are only fit for the occasional trip to the shop. The cheapest decent quality bikes you can buy are Carrera's from Halfords, B'Twin from Decathlon (in the North) or second hand (if you know what you are looking for).

My apologies I nor my Dad knew of this and the deal has been scrapped. Thanks for the warnings!

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Which, of course, turn out to be fraud...

Didn't know that.. Guess we're not getting new bikes soon then! :o

Thanks for the warning, fairly in the dark about the C2W scheme as was my dad. Will let him know, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Was in the Jervis Centre earlier - Cycle Bike have opened a cycle accessories store on the first floor (next to the jacks!).

Nice looking outlet - small shop but a broad range. Apparently they are going to be expanding their own brand of clothing soon too. They also have a proper fitting room and a mirror so you don't have to wait until you get home to see how yer new bib shorts look on ya! ;)

They have a couple of bikes but they are for display only - they are feeding the bike inquiries to the main shop up the road.

Best of luck to them. They are a nice bunch of guys so I hope it works out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I was laughed at and told I was mental when I bought a new Regatta rain jacket last month, it was on sale and I figured why not.

Who's laughing now? :pac:

Got my single speed beater (Raleigh Outland MTB) up and running despite a few hitches (thanks Thinkbike for a few extra spacers) but it's still not finished, I can't get the cranks off to remove the extra chainrings because it's got a weird (to me) nut in the cranks, that's too shallow to grip with a socket wrench, too tight to turn with the teeth of a spanner and too wide to use the crankpuller over (as if that would have worked).

Currently on the look out for a 14mm box wrench so I can complete this little project...bike maintenance used to be a whole lot more complicated. Adjusting the Cantis required 3 different tools!

Deep breath...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

^^ It's a beater, leave the chainrings on it!

Lumen wrote: »
    ^^ It's a beater, leave the chainrings on it!

But then I'd miss my chance to experience disassembling chainrings!

It's going to live outside so I'm planning to keep it going for as long as possibly my keeping it slimier than Jabba the Hutt's slime gland, anyone got any suggestions for what products to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Tempted to start training to complete an ironman..

Am I crazy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Am I crazy?

Yes, you pretty much have to be crazy to complete an Ironman but don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Am I crazy?

Would you like to have a life? Because the amount of training it seems to take seems ridiculous to me...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Am I crazy?

Turn you licence in, buy your bra top and kiss your dignity good bye.

Ps prepare to fall off more often and forget how to corner....

Does anyone have experience with the Giant Defy 5?

(extremely sorry about the post earlier, teaches me for not reading into things more)

Does anyone have experience with the Giant Defy 5?

(extremely sorry about the post earlier, teaches me for not reading into things more)

Very simply put - Good frame, very basic gears. If you're pretty sure you'll like cycling and stick with it, it's worth spending a bit more. If you could up your budget now to get the Defy with Shimano Sora or Tiagra on it, you'll save yourself buying another bike in a year or 18 months.

Very simply put - Good frame, very basic gears. If you're pretty sure you'll like cycling and stick with it, it's worth spending a bit more. If you could up your budget now to get the Defy with Shimano Sora or Tiagra on it, you'll save yourself buying another bike in a year or 18 months.

Biggest problem is I'm not sure how I'll handle this type of bike. Only had 2 bikes in my life. Both Dual Suspension, Steel Framed and heavy as feck to cycle. I enjoy cycling quite a bit, but the current bike reduces the range I could go comfortably by quite a margin.

Biggest problem is I'm not sure how I'll handle this type of bike. Only had 2 bikes in my life. Both Dual Suspension, Steel Framed and heavy as feck to cycle. I enjoy cycling quite a bit, but the current bike reduces the range I could go comfortably by quite a margin.

It'll be a shock the first time you take a road bike out on the roads, but you'll love it in no time. When I first moved onto a proper road bike, I just loved how responsive it was to subtle changes in both steering and pedalling effort. It'll be like pushing a wheelbarrow around and then jumping into a Lambourghini. Bit of a shock, but well worth the patience to get used to it.

It'll be a shock the first time you take a road bike out on the roads, but you'll love it in no time. When I first moved onto a proper road bike, I just loved how responsive it was to subtle changes in both steering and pedalling effort. It'll be like pushing a wheelbarrow around and then jumping into a Lambourghini. Bit of a shock, but well worth the patience to get used to it.

Brilliant :p I'll have a look into the better Shimano sets and hopefully find something to keep us going for a few years to come! Thanks for the help! :o

Yeah getting a better gearset is something you'll spend a lot of time thinking about in the long run. This year I upgraded from an older giant defy with shimano Sora gears to a much more expensive carbon fibre bike with shimano 105 gears. I can honestly say the most noticeable and worthwhile upgrade was the gears rather than the lighter frame. If you're not sure about the shimano gearset hierarchy, you can find it easily on google.

Yeah getting a better gearset is something you'll spend a lot of time thinking about in the long run. This year I upgraded from an older giant defy with shimano Sora gears to a much more expensive carbon fibre bike with shimano 105 gears. I can honestly say the most noticeable and worthwhile upgrade was the gears rather than the lighter frame. If you're not sure about the shimano gearset hierarchy, you can find it easily on google.

I'll have a look now and try and get a feel for it. Used to twist gears, so nothing could be worse than them! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Am I crazy?

You re dead to me.

Heads up.

Seems to be an awful lot of grit on Killakee road this morning.

Skidding at 50kph = not fun

AstraMonti wrote: »
    You re dead to me.

Does this mean you are breaking up with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Does this mean you are breaking up with me?

Depends, are you going to wear the man-bra?

Anyone seen the cycle clothing on sale in TESCOs?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Depends, are you going to wear the man-bra?

G63r8se.gif

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ps prepare to fall off more often and forget how to corner....

By coincidence, while out for a spin last weekend I encountered a triathlon passing through Laragh. Coming up to the turn for Rathdrum the triathlete in front of me appeared to be trying to make the turn as a single 90-degree turn of the handlebars despite having plenty of sensible lines to take as the road was clear ahead of him. It was quite impressive to see, as was the inevitable panic not to take a header as the laws of physics refused to be denied.

After several zigs and zags, and skimming past a very nervous looking garda in the process, he eventually completed the turn on the other side of the road. It would have been hilarious had it not been for the fact that I unfortunately took the same line as him (my riding partner turned late, probably due to being distracted by the sight of yer man, so my preferred line was cut off by both him and the gravel to his right). The poor garda had to contend with yet another cyclist hitting a line which seemed to be on a collision course with him. I avoided the garda but my mortification lives on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

73 year old Sean Lally arms aloft in celebration of victory in the vets Age CP at the Curragh this morning:

996883_10201541201201319_89042174_n.jpg

But who's that sneaking up on the inside?

74787_10201541204881411_1409469697_n.jpg

None other that Jimmy Lally (a mere 70 years old) getting a rare sprint victory over big brother ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

darn whippersnappers!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think Sean's learned his lesson - he's going to put a bit more air in the tyres next time....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement