Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Youre wrong .

In 2010,Walsh stared and lasted against Kerry,in kerry,Wexford and Dublin and Down.

He went off after 20 minutes,against Kerry in the replay,due to a hamstring.

The only two games he was subbed in ,Limerick in the qualifer,and Roscommon.

He was actually very good against Limerick,but so was Derek Kavanagh.
    As Rebel Girl,said and correctly,so Cork had the tendency to bring on fresh legs,and righty so ,and would bring on Murphy,when it hit the 50 minute mark.

The only game ,he played bad was against Roscomoon,when Mannion had the better of him.

Walsh was in hes first year with Cork and learning.He had a blinder against ,Dublin in the Semifinal,such that AOC was taken off,when Murphy was introduced.

Walsh started and lasted all games in 2011 bar the Down game.

He started in the defeat to mayo and performed as well as he could,considering AOC was well beaten.
    2012 he was not subbed,and against Donegal,he was the better option ,than AOC,who was taken off.

In relation to Donegal,he done okay,certainly no worse than O Connor.

He gave away possesion cheaply at times,by kicking woefully,but still won it.

This game,showed that he is certainly has not the foot passing skills for a CF.

You say he may not end up at 11.I certainly hope so.That is my point,he is not a Centre Forward.

The centre forward role now, requires creativity.To win an all ireland ,you need some one that has that in that role.

Cooper,Kilkenny are the heart beat of Kerry and Dublin's attack,but no way will Walsh do the same for cork.

Walsh was tried at full forward before,and while he can do a spefic job their,Cork with Goulding,O Connor,and Hurley,kerrigan and O Neill next year have better scoring forwards.

Cork are lacking depth at midfield now,but Walsh is our best midfielder,ahead of AOC and O Neill.

What am i wrong about? i said Walsh was subbed off or struggled in midfield in some key games which is true. If he's Corks best midfielder then you are indeed lacking depth.

Remember not all forwards have to be great scorers Mayo for example have shown that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

What am i wrong about? i said Walsh was subbed off or struggled in midfield in some key games which is true. If he's Corks best midfielder then you are indeed lacking depth.

Remember not all forwards have to be great scorers Mayo for example have shown that.

One game,only one,against Roscommon was he subbed over bad form.
    Your point was he was taken off in a few games,due to poor games.And contrary to your beliefs,it was not just the Down game ,it was throughout the season,that made him a top midfielder in 2010.

You said he was a better forward.He is a better midfielder,and always will be.

He may well do a job,against Galway,as a third midfielder,and running down the centre,but against Mayo,or Dublin or Monaghan,he will need a lot more to break down their blanket defences.

For Cork to win an all ireland,a blanket style is necessary ,and to move the ball quick from defence.

A Cf dropping deep that can kick and has the mindset to play fast ball is whats needed.
    I agree in some way,a Cf does not always need to score.He does need to be able to create though.He cant do that.

D'agger made a valid point,that he can forage and wins the breaks.

But we do not need Walsh when O Rourke does that.

Sheehan is a much better fit outside than inside.He is wasted inside.He's appetite for the ball,means Cork should like Kerry and Dublin do,base their game around their CF.If he wants sheehan,inside,Kelly must start.

The game may have evolved,but the old basic ,fundamentals of CF play has not changed greatly.You got to have creativity.In Hurling,you will get away with a forager,not football in the modern game.

Walsh can probably do a job against Galway,but to even reach the final,not to mind win it,he won't do.

Walsh CF is not a Couinhan masterpiece,it is more panic than anything else.
    He did not try this during the league,just at the end of the kerry game,and it worked.
    CC now thinks it's fine.CC had the right idea against Donegal last year,when he put Gould at half back.It failed though as it was never planned ,and Gould was not given enough games to adapt to it.
    It was pure panic.

Nothing is planned with CC.Their gambles half the time.

Cork would be better served with Walsh and Gould at midfield,and Kelly or Sheehan at CF.

A lot of people don't realise Sheehan is very good in the air.He could be used as a third midfielder for Kick outs,as unlike walsh when he gets the ball,he can create things,thats if they want to go with a three man midfield.

Counihan thinks Cork had a problem in the full forward line,hence sheehan now moved in their.We never had that problem.The problem is they never got any ball.You play Sheehan inside,it is imperative you play Kelly at Cf.

With O Rourke,Kelly,and Collins ,Cork have creativity in the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

One game,only one,against Roscommon was he subbed over bad form.
    Your point was he was taken off in a few games,due to poor games.And contrary to your beliefs,it was not just the Down game ,it was throughout the season,that made him a top midfielder in 2010.

You said he was a better forward.He is a better midfielder,and always will be.

I said he looks more like forward than midfield thats my opinion nothing more. Walsh got his high rank from the 2010 AI final i don't think he was that great in the other games if anything Murphy played a bigger part in midfield. (limerick,Roscommon games a case in point)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Moneymaker wrote: »
    As a Dublin fan i'm fearful of the day Cork get a competent management team. The depth of talent and the sheer size and power throughout the side is astonishing. It's quite incredible they've only the 1 All-Ireland to show for it all imo.

Could'nt agree more,amazing that Cork have only managed to win one Ireland in recent years considering their depth of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd agree with that too. If a fairy were to wave a magic wand at me, I'd wish for Counihan to stay with Cork pretty much forever really. (With apologies to all lovers of world peace.) They have been very unlucky with injuries though. Losing Colm O'Neil was a huge blow. I'm not sure where the scores would come from (or enough scores to win the AI) even if they had a more tactically astute manager on the side lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

What is it with Cork and not being able to deliver? We are supposed to have a depth of talent? I think we are overrated to be fair. I think ive a funny feeling we will lose this game. Might be the only way to get rid of Counihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Galway 0-8 Cork 0-7 at half time

Cork havent scored from play since the 11 min. Simply not good enough and needs to be better. I think if Cork get a goal they could pull away though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If Cork get beat, the only consolation will be that Counihan will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FT. Cork 1-17 Galway 1-16 ... An awful game of Football from a Cork perspective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Good news Cork won
    Bad new Counihan still there

• Advertisement

Haunted...This team is going no where under CC.We are going backwards.
    Counihan has not a clue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It would be better for the Cork team had they lost, Conon Counhian doing them no favors at all, Galway threw it away in the last 5 mins, Michael Meehan is one the finest footballers to ever grace the hallowed sod.

Haunted...This team is going no where under CC.We are going backwards.
    Counihan has not a clue.

Yeah we have nothing to worry about next round with Dublin Mayo or Monaghan there. We will be beaten out of park by all of those three

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Galway 0-8 Cork 0-7 at half time
    . I think if Cork get a goal they could pull away though

Well I was kinda right :pac:

Cork looked like a team who were sure they were going to win and got complacent. We have no right to think that and should be just buckling down and playing from the start. When we get desperate we get more direct it seems!

I did think a goal would kill Galway off and when it finally came we got on top.

This won't work against better teams and we will get beaten if its like this again. Counihan doesnt seem to know what to do when things are going wrong and other than the Masterplan of emptying the bench that anyone would do, it looked very poor.

Stinicker wrote: »
    It would be better for the Cork team had they lost, Conon Counhian doing them no favors at all, Galway threw it away in the last 5 mins, Michael Meehan is one the finest footballers to ever grace the hallowed sod.

I agree with you. That performance isnt good enough and CC is a disgrace. Like i said we will be on the exit of the next round anyway going by what we saw there. Cork have good footballers i think but no one to guide them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well there's no fear that they are peaking too early anyway :rolleyes:

First things first,CC Wheter beaten or not is here to stay,til 2014 ,no matter what happened today.

The CC Board like him,and asked and encouraged to take a two year term.Does anyone think,they admit they are wrong,or frown at failure.
    FfS,lets call a spade a spade.These are the same men,that will give Kenneally a second term,possibly another two year term to Ger Fitz,and appointed a selector that was part of the last four years as a minor selector in Donal O Sullivan.

People are deluding themselves if they think he will resign.He doesnt believe in walking away.

The match was a shambles,and Galway who lost a Key man in Cummins,could have beaten Cork.

We will hear rubbish about if we had taken our goal chances.The fact,is like i said during the week ,Galway were weak at the back,and no team in the q final is as defensively weak.

I said it ,Walsh is Not or Never will be a CF.He was brillant driving in from midfield and got a good goal but not in a forward role.

AOC and Pearse O Neill were like oil and water,a terrible combination.

AOC is finished in all honesty.After a brief cameo,he coudnt win any ball,and was completely exposed through the middle.

O Neill was the same.We made Gary O Donnell,look like an all star,complety destroying Walsh and driving at our midfield.Disgraceful,shambolic,inept,clueless management waited 50 minutes to make a change.

I like many,said this was a dissaster waiting to happen,yet our manager had waited 50 minutes.

Sheehan,like i posted, would be wasted inside.Jesus christ,he won us the match when Walsh went to midfievd,and Sheehan acted as a third midfielder.

Yet CC wont start him at midfield or at half forward.The usal fan club,lazy journalists who worship him lack the b**s to question why he was not moved out field for 50 minutes or why the clear mismatch of Canty on Armstrong,and our immobile midfield was allowed on.

And why a fit Kelly didnt start.He was superb when he came on.

Clancy done well as the game moved on,but was clearly exposed as a corner back,until cummins got injured.

Cork as a team dont look like they know what system to play,and its as clear as day,now play like a team that has lost faith in their manager.

Cork are going out next weekend no matter who we meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dublin v Cork

And i was disgusted,Loughrey our best half back,was taken off,for Kissane.

Wait for it,kissane starts next week ahead of Loughrey.As i said it would,at least the team named started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dublin v Cork

. Thats what ye deserve after using up all ye're luck today.:D:D:D

SeaFields wrote: »
    Well there's no fear that they are peaking too early anyway :rolleyes:

That performance today wont do at all. They are away off the standard required to win All Ireland. Nothing there today showed me that they would beat Kerry Dublin or Mayo if we do meet them. FFS look what happened Galway against Mayo in Connacht and Cork fell over the line today. Horrible stuff.

Amprodude wrote: »
    I agree with you. That performance isnt good enough and CC is a disgrace. Like i said we will be existing next round anyway going by what we saw there. Cork have good footballers i think but no one to guide them.
    Any Cork fan,me or you,would do a much better job.
    He fails to read a game or react to its game flow.
    Galway are good,but we should beat them easily.

Dublin will finish Counihan and Cork next week. Kerry in a great position now for All Ireland.

Dublin v Cork
    Were fu**ed.And when dublin beat us,no questions will be asked as Dublin are seen as Favs.
    Wait for it,im seldom wrong,Kissane on Ciaran Kilkenny.

Walsh at Full forward,he will drop O Rourke and put Gould on instead.

And the same midfield again.

Dublin will finish Counihan and Cork next week. Kerry in a great position now for All Ireland.

Their laughing.Mayo will beat Donegal.

Dublin and kerry in a semifinal.

Dublin will finish cork,but Couinhan wont go.Im hope i am wrong mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Mayo beating Donegal wouldn't be as easy as some are saying

Mayo beating Donegal wouldn't be as easy as some are saying

Mayo have a great record of beating defending All Ireland Champs bar Kerry. If Kerry werent there I believe Mayo would go all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

When you see Cork play with the swagger and power in the last 10 minutes it makes me more pissed off having to watch what they produce the rest of the time. Going knowhere with Counihan in charge.

Paddy Kelly showed such cleverness in his play that tells me he should be 1st name on the teamsheet. Is he still recovering from injury?

What the **** is Dr. Con telling Counihan on the line?

Seriously, it's a joke.

Cant see mayo getting past winners of cork dublin anyways . They wil win nothing ,three tough games in a row I think they'll fall short again

When you see Cork play with the swagger and power in the last 10 minutes it makes me more pissed off having to watch what they produce the rest of the time. Going knowhere with Counihan in charge.

Paddy Kelly showed more the cleverness in his play that tells me he should be 1st name on the teamsheet. Is he still recovering from injury?

What the **** it Dr. Con telling Counihan on the line?

Seriously, it's a joke.

If an astronomical result happened and we somehow beat Dublin, we would be playing Kerry in semis (who will beat Cavan btw) we would be facing Kerry AGAIN in Croke Park and wewill be beaten anyway so 2013 championship is out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

Just watch, Cork will come out like mad men next week and destroy Dublin, just to be beaten by Kerry in the semi final.

Well I was kinda right :pac:

Cork looked like a team who were sure they were going to win and got complacent. We have no right to think that and should be just buckling down and playing from the start. When we get desperate we get more direct it seems!

I did think a goal would kill Galway off and when it finally came we got on top.

This won't work against better teams and we will get beaten if its like this again. Counihan doesnt seem to know what to do when things are going wrong and other than the Masterplan of emptying the bench that anyone would do, it looked very poor.

Wrong,when you say we played like a team expecting to win.

When a team,plays that expect to win like KK or dublin ,they play with clinical execution,and a fluency and rythmn to their play.

We played like a team,that now under CC,are so afraid to play football and expect to be beaten,a team thats is clearly disfunctional due to a totally wrong team thats lacks balance starting for us.
    It is depressing.

If Meath had us today they would have beaten us.

We are like a jigsaw with the wrong pieces in the wrong place ,making it look a horrible disjointed piece,that could be a state of art,if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Wrong,when you say we played like a team expecting to win.

When a team,plays that expect to win like KK or dublin ,they play with clinical execution,and a fluency and rythmn to their play.

We played like a team,that now under CC,are so afraid to play football and expect to be beaten,a team thats is clearly disfunctional due to a totally wrong team thats lacks balance starting for us.
    It is depressing.

If Meath had us today they would have beaten us.

We are like a jigsaw with the wrong pieces in the wrong place ,making it look a horrible disjointed piece,that could be a state of art,if done right.
    As a matter of interest who would you have as the starting 15?

m0ynihan wrote: »
    , just to be beaten by Kerry in the semi final.

I would rate Cavans chances of beating Kerry higher than Corks right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Sam Crow

I'd love a Cork win, as it'd be a great thing for the game, but I can't see it happening.

Cork have very chance the dubs are nothing special. Cork are by far the best team they'll have played in 2013 champ so far

Prowetod wrote: »
    As a matter of interest who would you have as the starting 15?
    Halloran- not much between him and quirke ..Quirke I'm a big fan but not the future

Jamie Sullivan
    Shields
    Cadogan

In relation to the full back line i would not have let Cotter go.

But this is the best we half.

Cahalane,Loughrey,Clancy.

Walsh and Canty or Gould.
    Has to be a blanket style,as Canty can not play if we go man to man,as he like armstrong proved greatly lacks pace.

Sheehan,kelly and collins.

Sheehan can be used as a third midfielder and draws defenders out as he can not be unmarked.As Dongeal proved last year,you do not have to be aerial dominant ,all the time, but to win the breaking ball is a must.They had four men surrounding Corks,midfield last year,and gobbled up the breaking ball.Simple but effective.

Hurley,Goulding are inside.

Kerrigan,O Connor ,or Rourke ,either one can do a job.DOC is the more direct route,but Kerrigan and O Rourke are all able to play a MCBreatry role.

To beat the blanket you got to play like one.At least that team,has pace,and the ability and mindset to move the ball at pace.
    The team CC picks can not play any other way but the way they know.It is unfair to ask them play the 2010 way and expect them to stay with modern teams.

It is not their fault,when their picked time and again.But it is the manager's fault for picking them.They were great servants,but only one or two,are suitable for the game now.

Cork have very chance the dubs are nothing special. Cork are by far the best team they'll have played in 2013 champ so far
    Im not sure,we are.Meath do not have the players,we had but at least played to a system that suits their system,and moved the ball at pace,and used the width of the ptich to expose Dublin.

We have more firepower than Meath,but we play,two slow,lateral and predictable.

We will likely,finish the last ten minutes,with our best team,but the game will be over then.

Next Sat 7pm v Dublin

Tyrone V Monaghan at 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

I cant see much wrong this this statement

• Advertisement

PP have Dublin at 4/9 and Cork at 21/10.
    It seems right, even a tad generous to Cork,with the handicap at only 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why is there such a hatred for CC? What should he do that he isn't (apart from fu.cking off)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think you could end up regretting saying that.At the moment I'd have Dublin as at least 6 points better than Cork and if the Dubs hit form they could really destroy Cork.Cork have no real game plan and they went a huge amount of time not scoring from play today against a Galway team who aren't great defensively.

Is there one player in the Cork team who is playing consistently well at the moment.

If Cork had a top class manager they would be a great team but they are unconvincing at the moment.

Neeson wrote: »
    Why is there such a hatred for CC? What should he do that he isn't (apart from fu.cking off)?

He is a very poor manager. He is slow to make changes and decisions. He is always tactially slow and three steps behind his opposition especially when things are not going to plan. Can't pick a team that will win a match especially with the players he has. He has a good choice of players and yet never delivers.

2009 was my highlight, Cork were by far the best team in the country and we came up short against Kerry who weren't as good as they were from 2004-2007. Since then he has always come out second best to Kerry and his record is just shameful. We won AI in 2010 by the skin of our teeth against an average enough Down side that weren't heard of since.

I often wondered if this Cork team had a manager like Jack O Connor,Brian Cody, Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte, or even Sean Boylan, would we play better as a unit? I think we would have a better system and style of playing and we would be hard to beat no doubt. This Cork setup is going nowhere under CC and we won't ever ever win an All Ireland again with him in charge.

On average Cork win an All Ireland in Senior football every 17-20 years and it has been longer than that before 1973. We have some good footballers at the moment, sadly we won't ever achieve what may be possible with them(,i.e. 2-3 All Irelands). Worse players and teams have won more Celtic crosses than current Cork panel of players.

Ah in fairness ,,.does that need to be answered.

I dont think hatred is the right word.Thats personal view ,that and i speak for myself dont have hatred for the man.

Not one bit.I have posted many times,he is a nice man,dedicated ,and loves Cork football.

But thats now how we judge him.Fans have every right to criticise him as a manager,and its not harsh,when the mistakes have been repeated since 2010.

Their is a lot of nice men,dedicated to sport all their lives,who lives and breed Cork Gaa ,whether it is club men,players,volunteers,die hard fans who go to every game,and all sheer a passion for Cork Football,but are never management material.

Its the same with Counihan.Yes and he deserves immense credit for 2010,but he is taking Cork backwards now.

Better managers have been let go,like Morgan,and in other Counties knew when to go themselves.

Take Jack O Connor,Pat Gilroy,they knew when to go.

Nobody can doubt he dedication.The man leaves work in chareville,and straight in to training.I do not fault but admire that.

But their are equally top class managers in Cork,who would gave the same commitment as CC,that deserve their chance to take Cork to the next level.

He had three years.The players must be remebered too and deserve the best man in charge,to get the best out of them.

But as a manager,based on the results and performances,its fair to say tactially Cork are clueless.

Nothing personal,purely a judgement on him as Cork football manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He did win Munster and the league last year though.

He is a very poor manager. He is slow to make changes and decisions. He is always tactially slow and three steps behind his opposition especially when things are not going to plan. Can't pick a team that will win a match especially with the players he has. He has a good choice of players and yet never delivers.

2009 was my highlight, Cork were by far the best team in the country and we came up short against Kerry who weren't as good as they were from 2004-2007. Since then he has always come out second best to Kerry and his record is just shameful. We won AI in 2010 by the skin of our teeth against an average enough Down side that weren't heard of since.

I often wondered if this Cork team had a manager like Jack O Connor,Brian Cody, Jim McGuinness, Mickey Harte, or even Sean Boylan, would we play better as a unit? I think we would have a better system and style of playing and we would be hard to beat no doubt. This Cork setup is going nowhere under CC and we won't ever ever win an All Ireland again with him in charge.

On average Cork win an All Ireland in Senior football every 17-20 years and it has been longer than that before 1973. We have some good footballers at the moment, sadly we won't ever achieve what may be possible with them(,i.e. 2-3 All Irelands). Worse players and teams have won more Celtic crosses than current Cork panel of players.
    totally agree.Limerick should and Dublin for indiscipline and panicked could have beaten us.

The Dublin team under Gavin next week may stutter,but wont self destruct like 3 years ago.

Ah stop the lights,with all due respect,this must be a wind up.Munster title at home.

Leauge means nothing.

I'd gladly give back our 4 league titles and 3 Munster titles for 2-3 more All Ireland's with the panel of players we had from 2008-2013 under his reign.

• Advertisement

I'd gladly give back our 4 league titles and 3 Munster titles for 2-3 more All Ireland's with the panel of players we had from 2008-2013 under his reign.

I met a Cork player in November,and when i mentioned the league,as the fixtures were announced for it,he said what u said.League titles were taken,but never the priority.Winning for them is all irelands..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement