Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under The Dome [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **] (Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

They have totally deviated from the book which I won't go into for spoiler reasons, but it's a lot darker. There isn't a single likable character you can identify with and root for. The way the fire started was an insult to the viewers intelligence.

Totally agree after ep2, I had hope after the 1st one but characters were what made the book so good, and the fact that Jim and Jr were so unlikable and loathsome in contrast to Barbie and some others,

SK can't write endings by boy can he write characters, I don't blame the actors here they are working with what they have been given, makes me hope the Dark Tower movie/series never sees the light of day.

Edit: Actual now i think about it when I read the book, actually it was an Audio book each chapter was 40 minutes long, I remember thinking this would make a great tv show, the script is essentially written in the book, it's 40 minutes per chapter /episode long all they need to do was roll camera.

That said I realise there would need to be cuts made here and there to make it shorter and flow a little faster but the book was essentially a screen play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Episode 3 is 42 minutes (yes, I was clock-watching during it) of my life that I'm not getting back.
    A mysterious dome engulfs a town and the responsible adults play with guns in the woods while the teenagers get a free house.
    Oh, Nancy Drew and her weird friend get lost in the dark but escape due to a matchbook with super powers.
    By day three, I'd expect some form of contact with the outside to be established (writing is still impervious to a see-through dome).
    I've seen bad SK adaptations before but never one as boring as this. Its not the original books fault - I raced through the 800 odd pages of that in a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So the general opinion is....getting worse with each episode. But it'll still get amazing ratings and get renewed.....lol.

Glad i passed on this turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

So the general opinion is....getting worse with each episode. But it'll still get amazing ratings and get renewed.....lol.

"General opinion"? One person has posted about the 3rd episode.

I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes anyway, won't judge the 3rd until I see it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've loved all 3 episodes so far. Maybe it's because I suspend my disbelief at the door and just get lost in it for what it is - was never expecting it to be The Wire...
    Think the casting has been superb, love that it has moved away from the book and taken its own spin, and just genuinely enjoying it...

• Advertisement

It's hard to know what to think about the show - it's a decent premise (I must admit that I was put off reading this book due to the sheer size of the original novel), but executed pretty terribly. Many of the actors are just terrible and some are already becoming annoying- but it's likely to become one of those shows I'll watch week in and week out, until the shows I actually love come back or something better appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I like nerds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm enjoying the premise and to a certain extent the suspense but the acting is so wooden and the set pieces are terribly executed.

I'll continue on a bit more but I don't think this is going to be one of my shows.

Reporter girl, 'I like nerds' girl and stoner best friend need stop getting so much screen time. They are very very very annoying.

And I really wish they didn't cross their hands when the go into that fit, it's like some bad Harlem shake video.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ah, I'm enjoying it! I don't think the acting's too bad at all (except for the female cop - she's terrible).

Yes it could move a tad faster perhaps and I'd like to see more being done to explore and investigate the actual cause of the dome itself, but I'm enjoying getting to know the characters and seeing how the storyline progresses every week.

One question, though....why is the nerdy kid not wondering where his sister is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭naughto

Originally Posted by Richard Dower viewpost.gif
    Season opener out, passing on this myself.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richard Dower viewpost.gif
    good opener, and britt robertson is a fave of mine, massive numbers!

13.1 million and a huge 3.2 d

so why are u still on the thread if u think its crap

filler ep this week nothing happening just boring crap,ll keep watching though cos this could be good.
    the woman cop is very bad actor,junior is a pain in the ho1le as well.
    chick in the bunker is hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I don't think it's crap, it's just decent.

Takes the attention away for a good 40 minutes.
    I'll keep watching because I want to know what is up with Big Jim and Barbie though (and the seizures).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That reporter is damn annoying

Not sure what to make of that episode. On the one hand, I enjoyed the development of the micro society that is forming under the dome... Big Jim making a power play, vigilante groups being formed (Big Jim's buddies), the first signs that the place in general becoming quite lawless. I also liked the nod to to food supplies (need more bacon). So, on the one hand, we're not getting high stakes, high tension drama just yet but it does feel like it is building to it with all these little touches.

Aside from that though, it was a bit paint by numbers. We all knew Junior's attempt to find a way would fail. Sticking the reporter in there was just a way to put a question mark over Barbie in her mind. TBH, it did that but it wasn't terribly entertaining. Junior smashing against the dome was a good moment though, the added setting of being in a dark tunnel really amped up the claustrophobic feeling of being trapped. The house party was average enough too, very obvious what was going to happen. Nice to see the seizure plot line is still going strong though as opposed to being 'tantalizingly' tip-toed around for 10 episodes :) It looks weird though and I'm not sure that it had the 'horror' effect it was aiming for.

The acting is patchy in a few places but it's not distractingly bad.

I think now that they've firmly established the setting and the players, they need to start doing two things...
    1. Raise the stakes with the Barbie/Big Jim/Junior/Angie. At the moment, they're just ambling along. They need to give those plots direction. Angie is finally playing it smart with Junior but I don't how much longer they can keep that plot interesting if she's just stuck in the basement. Unfortunately, her getting out would be the end of Junior and I don't see where they could go from there with him.
    2. Start showing the outside world. If they really want to carry this show across multiple seasons, I think they need to start exploring the other side of the dome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Still nothing of the outside world beyond the mysterious withdrawal of troops. I can think of only one reason for that and no US President would let off a nuke on US soil.
    At last we have a mini-epidemic and the prospect of something more serious than a cigarette shortage (a lack of drugs and only one partially trained doctor).
    Overall improving - I don't fancy the girl in the cellars chances though.

when did they find to time to take the clothes off the police lady

Hmnmmm, mixed feeling about this episode. In many ways, the weakest so far with some truly awful dialogue and that whole "oh my God, the regular cast member and old nice lady we just met earlier are dying... AND WE ONLY HAVE ONE ANTIBIOTIC LEFT!" All that was missing was a dramatic camera zoom and "dun dun duuuuun". I didn't really enjoy Junior's whole guard the door thing either. Noone seemed to give a sh*t until in carried the gun in and said noone can leave. His speech was cringeworthy too.

On the other hand, the epidemic was a nice plot device. It fleshed out a few things... the importance of drugs, the lack of doctors, the lack of facilities & gave one of the mothers something to do. The seizure storyline is progressing too and had a fairly creepy moment during the video recording. The ending was great too with Big Jim. Wonder what's going to happen there next... will he help Junior cover his tracks?

I think the Barbie/Maria reveal was a bit of a let down... her husband had gambling debt. Barbie was a debt collector. Ok, he lied about the husband being dead but really, it was all a bit flat.

Still nothing from the outside world... I've a feeling there going to save that for near the end of the season... have an episode told from the outside from when it first goes down. Book spoiler...
    this would bring Barbie into the story proper for the season end and season 2 (if it gets another season).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

It was an OK episode, better than the last one.

I had a bit of an issue Junior, who has a girl locked up in his bunker, giving a rousing speech about trusting in the town and its people. I can only imagine that Junior's dad is not going to let the girl out so that story line is going to run for another bit. Not a bad cliffhanger though.

The Harlem Shake couple are a bit irritating, especially the girl. The scene where he looks at the phone and puts his finger over his mouth would have worked better at night time to give it a spookier feel

Barbie's storyline moved forward slightly, I'm not sure I caught what's going on with him and the DJ. I wonder will they flesh out that story a bit more.

any one can be a sheriff these days if there giving it to junior.why not barbie with the army experience behind him.
    the whole we only have one antibotic left was as Bacchus said very badly done.
    babrie saves red heads life and she still kicks him out of the house the ungratefull b1tch.
    some one need to but a bullet in the priest as he pisses me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I'm out, this is crap tv.

I'm out, this is crap tv.

Me too, as I mentioned already the book was essentially a screen play ready to be filmed. what we got on screen is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

calex71 wrote: »
    Me too, as I mentioned already the book was essentially a screen play ready to be filmed. what we got on screen is rubbish.

Never read the book, I like the concept but it's just failing on most scenes for me.

ill give it the full season to make up my mind.the last ep was pretty bad tho

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'd be under that dome for about 10 minutes before it occurred to me to find the centre of the dome. Stupid episode again, the quality went off a cliff after that excellent pilot, never seen a show drop so drastically, good scene where he sits up and says shhh to the camera though, very creepy.

I really wish they had condensed it now like it or the stand to 2 or 3 tv movie length parts, how many episodes is it to run for??? Hopefully it was scheduled for a second season and gets cancelled and folks nver see how bad the ending its, assuming they haven't changed it for tv.

My hopes of it being a brilliant character driven show like the book was are gone, not saying the book was brilliant but the characters were, if HBO had made this it might have been closer to the mark!!!!!, there were some very dark moments and I think HBO would have had these in it, for example Angie's character in the book and Sammy Bushey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Well, I thought that was a much better episode!

It moved along at a much faster pace and far more happened; Angie finally being freed (and swiftly recaptured), the wall of butterflies, the crazy reverend's death and the citizens of Chester's Mill almost being obliterated by a missile.

So now the government knows that even nuclear weapons can't penetrate the dome what next.....?

I've had the book for well over a year now, but never got around to reading it. I might just start tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Well I think im finished with this after that episode. Its gotten progressively worse as the series went on.

The "family greeting" scene has to be some of the worst telly I have seen in a while. Whoever cast the female cop and her fiance should be sacked. Awful acting and cringy as ****. "They want to make a reality show about us"......"Cool, I can't wait"........Barf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

When 'annoying teenage girl' makes some comment in the hospital to 'annoying teenage boy' about Wolverine and he says
    "You know X-Men?"

I nearly picked up my tv and threw it out the window in disgust.

It may be entering the realms of 'so bad, it's good' - so might stick with it for a couple of more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

When 'annoying teenage girl' makes some comment in the hospital to 'annoying teenage boy' about Wolverine and he says
    "You know X-Men?"

I nearly picked up my tv and threw it out the window in disgust.

It may be entering the realms of 'so bad, it's good' - so might stick with it for a couple of more episodes.
    Haha yeah, and the 30 year old Asian guy playing a totally hip teenager "Dude!" "Off the hook!" "Twitter!" "Radical!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Well, I thought that was a much better episode!

It moved along at a much faster pace and far more happened; Angie finally being freed (and swiftly recaptured), the wall of butterflies, the crazy reverend's death and the citizens of Chester's Mill almost being obliterated by a missile.

So now the government knows that even nuclear weapons can't penetrate the dome what next.....?

I've had the book for well over a year now, but never got around to reading it. I might just start tonight.

A MOAB is non nuclear. Maybe they'll line up a FOAB for next week.

Watched a few episodes of this and its getting very bad very quick imo.

• Advertisement

Do you realise most caterpillars are eaten before they turn into butterflies

Advertisement