Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thought i would share my exciting news.

Options
  • 25-03-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Hows it going lads,
    I just thought i would share with you some news i received today. As some of you know i have emigrated to Deutschland and have been actively seeking an "ausbildung als Büchsenmacher (which basically means an apprentice to a master gunmaker/gunsmith)" for the last two years flying over and back until i recently moved last september.

Anyway I recently enough applied (again as my application never arrived last year as it was lost in the post:mad: lol) to a company i have been very interested in which has been making firearms since 1827. And was called for an interview two weeks ago. They had over 30 applications from all across the country but picked only two of us for the interview stages.

They specialize in building double rifles, combination guns, custom Mauser's, and high quality shotguns etc.. The interview went well and i was then to work there for the next two days completing several different tasks, To be honest i forgot i was meant to be at an interview, As myself and the head gunsmith were excitingly exchanging stories and comparing our complex laws etc.. the general kind of banter you would expect although i didn't really expect it here and now. Anyhow it was great craic, i have never had as much fun in work as i did those days and i was sad to leave. On one of the days i had a rifle worth €57,000 in my hands it was a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and art. I was terrified of dropping it though lol.

So after the interview bit i was to wait for a week and a half until the other lad had also gone in and completed his two days. Fast forward a week and a half and there is no sign of a call, I thought i had blown it as we were talking so much and generally having a laugh. So i gave the place a call and was informed i would have to wait another week to find out as they couldn't decide.
    Today was the day they decided to call and at ten this morning my missus bursts in the door with the phone in her hand telling me to get me arse out of bed "I had been out for a pint in the first time in about three months last night." lol.
    It was my potential employer on the phone, when i answered he seemed to have a sad kind of tone to his voice which had led me believe he was ringing to tell me that i had gotten the chop.
    Anyway after our little chat he then turns around and says actually we are ringing you from the range at the moment and just want to say we are excited to congratulate our new "lehrling (first year apprentice)" and colleague to the team. He had been pulling me leg the whole time, ha.:pac: Anyway i cant control my excitement, ive to go in tomorrow to sign my new contract.

So you can all expect to be seeing a new Irish firearms manufacturer / qualified Gunsmith in the near future, all things going to plan. :D:D:D:pac::pac::cool::P

This was one of the tasks i had to do during the interview. I had to fit a new buttpad to the stock which is obviously oversized at first and then on the belt sander shape it etc.. then it was a case of filing and sanding the stock removing some of the dings etc..
    11035620_10204870285969601_9176223160972313406_n.jpg?oh=a801558fa7821dc0166694ccc83e7c87&oe=55715BFB&__gda__=1437022189_5b1b833fa55eacbf09766e62389c0f68
    This is the kind of thing that they manufacture. :cool::eek::D:pac:
    1907471_945433718824073_3791764588487947349_n.jpg?oh=3ff526903e23199a48e0f79d321057b8&oe=55B1E5B6&__gda__=1437163309_5b13dfa9f47dba95621d11947d40cc94

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

Well done young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Congrats.
    Being in a job you love....you landed on your feet. Well done.

A good news story for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Exceptional stuff juice, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Best of luck with the new job. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Thanks very much lads means alot, I am over the moon. Still hasn't hit me yet. The last two years have been full of stress and frustration (due to the language lol) but it is all worth it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

Congratulations on getting the job. Its always great to hear stories like this.

Just on a side note (as Im half thinking of going over there myself) could you go over and learn the language as you go, or would ya have to be able to speak a bit of it before going over.

Edit: You got that last post about language in just before me. So I guess I would have to learn it here then :(

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting the job. Its always great to hear stories like this.

Just on a side note (as Im half thinking of going over there myself) could you go over and learn the language as you go, or would ya have to be able to speak a bit of it before going over.

Edit: You got that last post about language in just before me. So I guess I would have to learn it here then :(

Not exactly my German is pretty poor at the moment, I can understand an awful lot but when i have to speak it becomes a real problem. There is a program called "The job of my life" (i am a participant in the program) funnily enough quite fitting i would say , That is run by the German social welfare department for getting foreign workers in to complete apprenticeships, They pay for your language school costs, moving expenses etc.. I was meant to be at level B1 before i got here but the Irish side messed it all up and we only did the A1 course it goes A1,A2,B1,B2 etc.... We had a class of about 40 people to begin with about 10 went to Germany and there are 3 of us left. You can either have them find you an apprenticeship or you can find one yourself as i have.
    I was told by two other gunsmiths i would have an apprenticeship this year if they had the space, Ummerax promised me a position this year if my german improved i went for an interview with them last year and did all their aptitude tests, i have another apprenticeship as a precision machinist which i am now going to give up etc.. so I would say yes you could easily find work here if you decide to give it a go. That is the thing really i got sick of not being able to find anything in Ireland, literally i would apply for anything even tesco, working as a night porter in a hotel, as a kitchen porter. No one would give me the time of day. I moved here and everyone is interested because they can see that i actually want to work they are willing to give you the opportunity to do this too.
    One of the other lads off the German course his German was very very poor and i mean very poor but he is living here now working as an apprentice car mechanic happy as larry.
    Most people can speak good English and they love Irish people. I have a friend in Köln managing a bar and his German is not great at all, he has been living here for the last four years.
    Do you have any idea what you would like to do?
    I have walked into jobs here very handy working as a machinist for the last few months. I had no previous experience and my German was really terrible at the the but i had an understanding of what i was meant to be at. I was actually doing that job to gain some experience to put down on my cv for the gunsmithing.
    There is alot of stuff here that would melt your head all the form filling etc.. "Everything must be in order" lol There is even a government agency that goes to your business to make sure everything is in order ha no joke.

I am still learning the language which is what i find so frustrating i can do all the work i am asked to do. I understand what i am told but having a long winded conversation is a real problem. However you learn an pick up the language much quicker here than you would at home.
    If you have any questions just send me a Pm and i would be happy to answer them the best i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ak51535

well done man! just wondering what level qualification would you get at the end of it?

ak51535 wrote: »
    well done man! just wondering what level qualification would you get at the end of it?
    Thanks man, :)
    After the first 3.5 years of the apprenticeship i will be a qualified gunsmith/gunmaker, You can then go on to do another year to become a Master gunsmith/gunmaker I actually left school early i will also get a school leaving certificate from this, I have a fetac equivalent but this will be better.
    You can also go on to have a degree in mechanical engineering then after another year if you wish.
    The German qualifications would be to a very high standard and well respected around the globe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ak51535

That's great! Some opportunity! keeps us posted on how it goes! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

well done lad following your dream

• Registered Users Posts: 49 J s682

Congratulations and the very best of luck in your new career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

I'll say again mate, great news.
    See you in July for the Nationals and chew the cud over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

That's great news well done. Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Congratulations lad.

There is an old saying that if you are in a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

Excellent news and expecting reports and pictures whenever you can.

Congrats again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I'm not into guns etc, but saw your post on the front page..

Fair play to you for sticking at it!
    Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Well done I look forward to possibly buying one of your guns one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

Thanks for the great info. :)

I guess the big difference is I have all my qualifications and plenty of experience already (just fancying a change of scenery from Ireland to be honest) so if I was to go to Germany Id be hoping to get right into the job market.
    juice1304 wrote: »

If you have any questions just send me a Pm and i would be happy to answer them the best i can.

I might just take you up on that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Fair play man!

Great to hear you'll be doing what you have always wanted to!

Couldn't of happened to a nicer lad to be fair!

PS I'll be wrecking yer head for everything from now on...

'hdz

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Congratulations lad.

There is an old saying that if you are in a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

Excellent news and expecting reports and pictures whenever you can.

Congrats again.

Thanks everyone, i was so excited i couldn't keep it to myself.

Yes Cass i totally agree, and i will be posting pics as often as i can. We will be building on average one complete rifle a month with an awful lot of other work on the go too. There is an order in for about 10 rifles now so there will be lots to be done. You should see some of the stuff they have in this place they can lock me in there for the rest of my life and i would be happy out lol.
    During the interview i was told that we have to take a long lunch it drags out the day a little bit 2hrs, but i was then told we are allowed to build our own firearms during this time if we wish. :cool::D:D
    Between once and twice a week we also have to go to the range for the day to test and zero customers firearms and teach classes etc... :pac::cool:

hedzball wrote: »
    Fair play man!

Great to hear you'll be doing what you have always wanted to!

Couldn't of happened to a nicer lad to be fair!

PS I'll be wrecking yer head for everything from now on...

'hdz
    Cheers mate, much appreciated.
    You have permission to wreck my head as much as you like lol. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Well done, very interesting job.
    Don't forget, we all want mates rates on a new rifle now!
    Cheers
    Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Na Gratuliere und Hals und bein bruch im neuen beruf.:P
    Juice will translate that no bother for us.:D

Stick that out for the four years including the master exam and you can seriously name your own price with whomever you want to work with.Go to the States with a German qualification like that and custom gun company bosses will be at the door every morning with a cup of coffee and the red carpet to welcome you ,its that much of a prestige thing to have a German master gunsmith working for them.

Seriously happy and jealous at the same time for you:),as it is not everyone that gets chosen for these apprenticeships in Germany and especially a foreigner so you must have really wowed them,and jealous that I'm not 30 years younger and looking for a career in life.:(

BTW hows the "jagd schein"[ Hunters liscense] coming along??Thats another apprenticedhip in itself.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

well done and the of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Still here thinking about it. Its fantastic, and as many others have hinted at, we are all secretly jealous that you get to work at something we would all love to do. Will make ya a cuppa in the club house when you are back over in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

Thanks everyone, i was so excited i couldn't keep it to myself.

Yes Cass i totally agree, and i will be posting pics as often as i can. We will be building on average one complete rifle a month with an awful lot of other work on the go too. There is an order in for about 10 rifles now so there will be lots to be done. You should see some of the stuff they have in this place they can lock me in there for the rest of my life and i would be happy out lol.
    During the interview i was told that we have to take a long lunch it drags out the day a little bit 2hrs, but i was then told we are allowed to build our own firearms during this time if we wish. :cool::D:D
    Between once and twice a week we also have to go to the range for the day to test and zero customers firearms and teach classes etc... :pac::cool:

I think I don't like you any more after reading that. You can make your own coffee now
    ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

You poor fecker, but at least you're getting paid for it. If it gets too much maybe one of us could help you out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Fair play to you , best of luck with the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement