Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

Hey guys sorry for reposting, just to organize questions before hand here are some links to my VP Welfare Campaign

Find my manifesto here
    http://www.cathal4welfare.posterous.com/

Facebook page is here
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cathal...05787662765379

See you tomorrow for a reassuringly nerve wrecking session :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'd say it's definitely'll be worth your while popping in after you lectures. These things rarely start bang on the nose and with the VP positions being the last to speak on both days I'd say you'd definitely catch the post-speech questions.
    Yeah think I will head over afterwards anyway! Is anyone going to be taking note of what people are saying during the hustings? I remember someone (banquo I think) did it last year and posted it on here - it was really useful in case anyone misses what's said or can't make it. I'd do it if it wasn't for the fact I won't be there for all of it!

Imma go send some questions to Duddy now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

Is anyone going to be taking note of what people are saying during the hustings? I remember someone (banquo I think) did it last year and posted it on here - it was really useful in case anyone misses what's said or can't make it. I'd do it if it wasn't for the fact I won't be there for all of it!

NVM - I keep forgetting tomorrow isnt Thursday

/back to programming

We can do a bit of a rota I suppose? I'm free on Monday, so I can do it then. Do you stilll want to do it Thursday AdmaialNimitz?

God I'm such a nerd :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Wait, this hustings business sounds very civilised.
    Which is the event where we get to throw stuff at the candidates?

We can do a bit of a rota I suppose? I'm free on Monday, so I can do it then. Do you stilll want to do it Thursday AdmaialNimitz?

God I'm such a nerd :/

Nah - turns out I misread my calander and Im in 2-3 not 1-2 like I thought...

Hmm I may have a solution...I have/had a digital voice recorder knocking around somewhere...if noone is around tomorrow/thursday then it may be better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Nah - turns out I misread my calander and Im in 2-3 not 1-2 like I thought...

Hmm I may have a solution...I have/had a digital voice recorder knocking around somewhere...if noone is around tomorrow/thursday then it may be better than nothing.

It's actually illegal to record someone without their permission.

The Media Society have been asked to get involved and record the hustings, so even if you can't make it on the day there should be footage on YouTube a few days before voting (permission gave given casually by all those gathered at the candidates meeting earlier).

It's actually illegal to record someone without their permission.

Oh I know - had this been the only option left I would have gone trough the RO etc for the various permissions...

mickstupp wrote: »
    Wait, this hustings business sounds very civilised.
    Which is the event where we get to throw stuff at the candidates?

There are several such events, namely each week day between now and wednesday :D Thursday if you're feeling really harsh :)

• Advertisement

There are several such events, namely each week day between now and wednesday :D Thursday if you're feeling really harsh :)

Do it on Tuesday when most of the Candidates will be taking part in Amnesty's 'Walk a Mile in Her Shoes'...watching them trying to dodge stuff in heels would be gold!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Mediasoc are busying away with election vid but we'll have a mic and camera there tomorrow - may not be perfect but you'll get the gist!

Duddy wrote: »
    Mediasoc are busying away with election vid but we'll have a mic and camera there tomorrow - may not be perfect but you'll get the gist!
    Aw that's cool so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Abdul Abhaile

Hey, It's Ruaidhri here, I won't use the FYR profile for the rest of the campaign because it's technically the First Year Rep profile. My Finance Facebook profile is here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ruaidhri-Boland-Your-choice-for-Finance/155055114552432

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah think I will head over afterwards anyway! Is anyone going to be taking note of what people are saying during the hustings? I remember someone (banquo I think) did it last year and posted it on here - it was really useful in case anyone misses what's said or can't make it. I'd do it if it wasn't for the fact I won't be there for all of it!

Imma go send some questions to Duddy now :D

That was me. I'll only be at the Presidents one this year though.

Would have been a bit biased if Banquo had of reported on his own(and his opponent's) hustings speech. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shay09

:DMaura Garihhy is running for this position for St Pat's Rep. She is a 2nd year Theology and Business student. She is highly involved in St Pat's. She is on the editorial team for the college magazine Siolta. Also she represented the college in Macedonia last year with another 2nd year student. Maura volunteers full time for a national organisation, as their PRO. Her experience has left her efficient and organised, with ideal characteristics for the St Pat's Rep. She has creative and ambitious ideas to help St Pat's students. I am posting this to encourage all St Pat's students to come out and vote on March 9th. Vote Maura no1 to have a greater voice in St Pat's and MSU. Also don't forget to vote yes to the referendum on the SU constituion:cool:, have your say. Thanks for the support:Dattachment.php?attachmentid=150173&d=1299084624

• Advertisement

Camera batteries ran out - no video:( bleh. May have St.Pats up though.

Just to confirm that Pádraig Ó' Lionáin has withdrawn as a candidate for Irish Language and Cultural Officer

Shay09 wrote: »
    :DMaura Garihhy is running for this position for St Pat's Rep. She is a 2nd year Theology and Business student. She is highly involved in St Pat's. She is on the editorial team for the college magazine Siolta. Also she represented the college in Macedonia last year with another 2nd year student. Maura volunteers full time for a national organisation, as their PRO. Her experience has left her efficient and organised, with ideal characteristics for the St Pat's Rep. She has creative and ambitious ideas to help St Pat's students. I am posting this to encourage all St Pat's students to come out and vote on March 9th. Vote Maura no1 to have a greater voice in St Pat's and MSU. Also don't forget to vote yes to the referendum on the SU constituion:cool:, have your say. Thanks for the support:Dattachment.php?attachmentid=150173&d=1299084624

Absolutely nothing against Maura, I only met her for the 1st time yesterday and she seems lovely, but what about Shmick? Having worked with him all year I know how hard working and dedicated he his, what are the arguments against him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Well i'll be voting maura shes actually a very dedicated and nice person

So how do people think VP Welfare & ed hustings went yesterday?

• Advertisement

Shay09 wrote: »
    Maura volunteers full time for a national organisation, as their PRO.

What National Organisation???

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

i'll be voting for anyone who isn't a labour party hack and is not running for election just to further their prospects for national politics/trade union positions

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

westdub15 wrote: »
    i'll be voting for anyone who isn't a labour party hack and is not running for election just to further their prospects for national politics/trade union positions

And who would that refer to?? :rolleyes:

I assume that that's aimed at me. Would you care to substantiate this remark or is this just a brain fart that hit the keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

considering i don't know who you are abdul abhaile no it was not aimed at you

Eilis Carey has withdrawn as a candidate for VP Comms/Dev

considering i don't know who you are abdul abhaile no it was not aimed at you

Ruaidhri Boland, running for Finance and as was raised today at hustings a Labour member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Duddy wrote: »
    Anne Walsh has withdrawn as a candidate for VP Comms/Dev

Anne Walsh? Don't you mean Eilis Carey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Vp Comms / Dev hustings was The. Most. Fun. Ever.

Edited! *massages temples*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Shay09

Elation is one of the organisations, it is for a band that tours Ireland and England, playing and teaching music to young people. Another that she helps out in allot holds Irelands biggest youth conference every summer. Which Maura both helped organised and was also a key note speaker. She is talented and organised and passionate for St Pats issues. A voice for theology students!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hey, It's Ruaidhri here, I won't use the FYR profile for the rest of the campaign because it's technically the First Year Rep profile. My Finance Facebook profile is here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ruaidhri-Boland-Your-choice-for-Finance/155055114552432

Just wondering Ruaidhrí. I saw some posters from your previous campaign from First Year Rep. You clearly said that you personally would campaign in order to keep the registration fee capped to €1,500. What have you done in a personal capacity (I.E not including SU protests or initiatives arranged by others) to do this? Secondly, do you now think that this was an unrealistic promise to make?

You've mentioned very clearly that you are a member of Labour. In which way will this impact your campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steve 4 enters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Will someone be recording either audio or just writing the presidents hustings on Monday. I have a question given to Duddy but I have a lecture at the same time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Enough grammar and spelling mistakes to give me a headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

banquo wrote: »
    Vp Comms / Dev hustings was The. Most. Fun. Ever.

"Man, its a pity there isn't some kind of interconnected network of computers to make this easier. A web of sorts..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Should this thread be closed? Surely this conversation belongs in the MSU election thread? Otherwise we'll have seperate threads for each race, and indeed maybe each candidate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shmici

ha!
    forgot to mention to the boardies that I'm re-running for pat's....
    all i've done so fr was give out about the fact the tread was originally called NUIMSU elections!
    not that really any of you can vote for me, or that any of you really care about the position itself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Merged with St.Pat's Rep thread.

All election based shenanigans in this thread please.

• Advertisement

Now that my own are over, i'm looking forward to the Presidential hustings :) Roll on the 70 candidates i've got all day on Monday and a tonne of free tea so hit me with your rhetoric sticks! :D

Just saw a picture of one of the current MSU VP's campaigning with an SU President candidate, in a tshirt for that SU candidate. Surely that's not allowed? Fcking appalling interference in the election tbh.

It's a jokeshop out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

18873210210611653749510.jpg

I sincerely doubt that's constitutional.

She has stepped down for the week as far as I know, along with a number of the exec who are running for positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

ash xxx wrote: »
    She has stepped down for the week as far as I know, along with a number of the exec who are running for positions

She has stepped down, this is allowed, she isn't breaking any rules.

I like how our Student Union elections seem to take place in a couple of pubs. Don't suppose anyone has been at the train station in the morning talking to commuters?
    She has stepped down for the week as far as I know

So she won't be doing her job for a week so she can campaign for someone else? Pathetic.

Some members of the Union take a hammering for Labour affiliations, but they would never 'take a week off' to campaign for another Labour member. The elected SU should stay out of the elections.

She knows damn well the effect an endorsement from a member of the sitting Exec would have on a campaign. God forbid we'd a serious and fair election.

• Advertisement

declan06 wrote: »
    She has stepped down, this is allowed, she isn't breaking any rules.

Anyone with a crisis pregnancy better wait a week then.:rolleyes:

But seriously, how does one step down for a week without resigning? Is there seriously a mechanism for that in our constitution?

Haha, well if they want to go speak to Aengus, they can. He's pretty much acting most of the SU exec positions during the elections

Anyone with a crisis pregnancy better wait a week then.

Yeah, imagine...
    This is an automatic respose.

I'm off campaigning for my mate this week, ring back next Monday? Must be someone in the Yellow Pages you can ring.

kthanx bye.

If people lose a loved one, I understand them taking time off from the SU. An elected representative taking time off to campaign for someone else (to take up a full time paid job) reeks to me.

Also, getting bar staff to wear 'vote for ________' tshirts is out of order. You wouldn't get away with that anywhere else. It shows people don't even take these elections seriously. If your election battlefield is The Roost, there are serious questions for me.

Waiting for someone to actually offer me a fiver for a vote
    Fianna Fail would cringe at some of this sh/te.

At least Jackie Healy Rae gets you some of the stuff he promises rather than just handing you a pack of Haribo. Grace is promising a swimming pool on North Campus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement