Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 14 - Singapore Grand Prix

Options
  • 18-09-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

14%20Singapore%2014%20Preview%20v3.jpg14%20Singapore%2014%20Preview%20v32.jpg
    14%20Singapore%2014%20Preview%20v33.jpg14%20Singapore%2014%20Preview%20v34.jpg14Singapore14Previewv35_0.jpgTheoretically, Singapore's Marina Bay Street Circuit will offer Red Bull the opportunity to take the fight to Mercedes. But that won't be the only source of pressure for the Silver Arrows: whatever happens, we can expect Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to continue their intense battle for the 2014 drivers' crown - and in doing so light up the Singapore night.

"Singapore is a race that I'm sure the whole paddock looks forward to," says Paddy Lowe, Mercedes' executive director (technical). "It's a glamorous event with a fantastic atmosphere - standing on the starting grid under the thousands of spotlights feels much like being on stage, waiting for the theatre to begin.

"We were incredibly happy with the result in Monza - they were fantastic drives from both Lewis and Nico and it was a welcome return to winning ways. [Singapore] could not stand as more of a contrast to Monza, with a lot of low-speed corner content. It's also a long race - often running to the full two-hour limit and frequently characterised by safety cars.

"It's a tricky one to manage no matter what position you might be in, with fortune playing a part depending on the nature and timing of any issues which may arise. It's always an action-packed, incident-filled race, with the nature of the track and the heat playing a role in retirements - both mechanical and by human error. We'll be aiming to steer clear of any drama and come away with another strong result as the season enters its final third."

This will not be the first time Rosberg and Hamilton have duelled in Singapore - Rosberg held off Hamilton to secure second in the maiden edition of the race in 2008, when they were racing for Williams and McLaren respectively.

"Singapore is definitely one of the highlights of the year," Rosberg says. "There's an amazing atmosphere and the whole city really comes to life for the race weekend. It's just unreal - I would really recommend anybody to come here if they can as it's a fantastic experience.

"I got my second-ever podium here with P2 in 2008 and I generally enjoy street circuits, so I'm looking to go one better this time around."

Hamilton, however, might just have the psychological edge this weekend after his crucial victory in Italy, which moved him to within 22 points of Rosberg in the title hunt.

"This is a great place to begin the final flyaway phase of the season. The city is buzzing and the track is mega," the Briton says. "I love street circuits. I won here in 2009 which was a really special experience, plus I had a podium - which should really have been a win - at the first race in 2008. My luck hasn't been great at this circuit since then, but hopefully that will change this weekend."

Singapore is undoubtedly one of the toughest races on the calendar: high ambient temperatures and 23 corners - more than any other Grand Prix circuit - make for a punishing combination. Traction and braking on the bumpy surface are crucial, while drivers have to constantly be on the alert for street furniture like manhole covers and painted white lines, which can catch them out and send them into the walls.

This year, the field will also be racing on Pirelli's two fastest tyre compounds - the yellow-marked softs and the red-marked supersofts. That might at least help the track to ‘rubber in' faster over the course of the weekend - grip levels should improve gradually across the three days, meaning there is a continuous need to reset the cars for optimum performance.

Like Monaco, Singapore is also a maximum downforce track, which is why Red Bull - winners of the last three Grands Prix on the Marina Bay circuit - hope it will give them a strong chance to defeat Mercedes.

"We've always gone well here in the last few years," team boss Christian Horner acknowledges. "But there are no guarantees in this business, and we expect the Mercedes to be incredibly quick here.

"We also expect Williams to be a factor because they have been at most of the races through the summer. It's going to be as tight as ever, but hopefully we should be a lot closer to ultimate pace than we were at Monza."

Williams are less optimistic, believing that Marina Bay won't suit their FW36 as well as Spa or Monza did. And head of performance Rob Smedley makes it clear that their focus will be on scoring points rather than tilting for victory: "The main focus for us is the constructors' championship now and we have to establish ourselves in third position, which we regained from Ferrari in Monza. The track has a few issues that we have to work around, such as the lack of grip that on a normal track would improve, but here doesn't. This results in a lot of wheelspin and oversteer which affects the balance of the car."

Across at Ferrari, Singapore will represent the team's first race since 1991 without the background presence of departed chairman Luca di Montezemolo, and it is fair to say there isn't a huge amount of expectation in the camp - particularly as the circuit could, like Monza and Spa, expose the F14 T's shortcomings.

McLaren, however, are moving in the opposite direction, growing increasingly confident as their technical changes keep coming on stream.

"We had a positive showing at Spa and Monza, and we're continuing to develop and improve the car," Jenson Button says. "As we move back to higher-downforce circuits, it'll be interesting to see how the pack reshuffles itself - I think we'll still be able to maintain our forward momentum."

Momentum has, conversely, been in short supply this year for Sauber and Caterham, with both teams heading into Singapore still chasing their first points of 2014. Sauber can at least draw upon the fact they scored points in last year's Grand Prix, while Caterham have undergone further changes since Monza, with Manfredi Ravetto acting as team chief for the first time this weekend following Christijan Albers' resignation.

There have been changes away from the circuit too, with governing body the FIA ushering in new restrictions on pit-to-car radio messages. The move, which follows recent media scrutiny about the amount of information being given to drivers by their race engineers, applies to both radios and pit boards. Messages now outlawed include information about a competitor's sector times and fuel saving advice.

Just how significant the new regulation will prove, in terms of the dynamics between team mates and during the sessions, will be fascinating to observe as the weekend progresses.

Whatever transpires, it adds a new dimension to a race already bristling with complexity, as Pirelli - who are anticipating two-stop strategies to be the norm - outline. "It's always a great pleasure for us to come to Singapore, which has consistently proved itself to be one of the most spectacular races of the year," says motorsport director Paul Hembery. "Racing under the lights in such a vibrant city provides an amazing atmosphere that showcases Formula One at its very best.

"The unique nature of the race at night obviously has an impact on the tyres, and we've selected the two softest tyres in the range for their rapid warm-up and high levels of mechanical grip: vital characteristics on a street circuit. This is actually a step softer than last year, when we nominated the medium and supersoft, so we should see some interesting tyre strategies with teams taking full advantage of the performance on offer.

"There's traditionally quite a high incidence of safety cars, so every strategy has to be flexible enough to bear this eventuality in mind as well. With the championship seemingly getting closer, all the signs suggest that we're in for an exciting and unpredictable race."

The weather could also add to the spectacle: while temperatures are expected to hit highs of between 29 and 30 degrees Celsius across the weekend, there is also a strong chance of showers on all four days.

The track itself has been resurfaced in various places, although a track jet sweeper will be used to ensure that the new sections have the same grip levels as the older asphalt. As was the case last year, there will be two DRS zones. The first will be activated 48m after Turn 5, with the detection point at Turn 4, while the second will be activated before the start/finish line, with the detection 80m before Turn 22.

The race will run over 61 laps of the 5.065-kilometre (3.147-mile) circuit, or or 308.828 kms (191.905 miles), and starts at 20.00 hours local time, 12.00 GMT.

Race Stats:

Did you know that Fernando Alonso has missed out on the podium just once in six editions of the Singapore Grand Prix? Or that Sebastian Vettel has led nearly half of the laps that have taken place on the Marina Bay Street Circuit? Ahead of this weekend’s 2014 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix, we present all the need-to-know facts, stats and trivia…

Circuit: Marina Bay Street Circuit

Circuit length: 5.065 km

Number of corners: 23 (9 right, 14 left)

DRS zones: 2

Race laps: 61

Race distance: 308.828 km

2014 tyre compounds: supersoft, soft

Circuit lap record: 1m 48.574s - Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 2013

First world championship Grand Prix in Singapore: 2008 (won by Fernando Alonso, Renault)

Number of races: 6

Number of races at Singapore with at least one safety-car appearance: 6 (there has been at least one safety car in every Grand Prix run at Marina Bay)

Longest race: 2012 (2h 00m 26.1s)

Shortest race: 2009 (1h 56m 06.3s)

Last year's pole position: 1m 42.841s, Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull

Last year's podium: 1 - Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull), 2 - Fernando Alonso (Ferrari), 3 - Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus)

Most appearances (current field): 6 - Sebastian Vettel, Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button; 4 - Kimi Raikkonen; 3 - Daniel Ricciardo, Romain Grosjean, Pastor Maldonado, Kamui Kobayashi, Sergio Perez, Nico Hulkenberg

Most Singapore Grand Prix wins (driver): 3 - Sebastian Vettel; 2 - Fernando Alonso; 1 - Lewis Hamilton

Most Singapore Grand Prix wins (constructor): 3 - Red Bull; 1 - Renault, McLaren, Ferrari

Most Singapore Grand Prix wins (engine manufacturer): 4 - Renault; 1 - Mercedes, Ferrari

Most Singapore Grand Prix pole positions (driver): 2 - Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel; 1 - Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso

Most Singapore Grand Prix pole positions (constructor): 2 - Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull

Most Singapore Grand Prix pole positions (engine manufacturer): 2 - Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault

Number of wins from pole: 4 from 6 races (66 percent)

Lowest winning grid position: 15th (Fernando Alonso, Renault, 2008)

Laps led (current field): 159 - Sebastian Vettel; 93 - Fernando Alonso; 76 - Lewis Hamilton; 17 - Felipe Massa; 11 - Nico Rosberg; 3 - Jenson Button

Most podium places (current field): 5 - Fernando Alonso; 4 - Sebastian Vettel; 2 - Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button; 1 - Nico Rosberg, Kimi Raikkonen

Percentage of 2014 season complete: 68 percent

Maximum number of world championship points still available to a single driver: 175

Significant running sequences going into this weekend:
    Ferrari - 80 consecutive races in the points - the longest run in F1 history; Daniel Ricciardo - 11 consecutive points finishes; Nico Rosberg - has led at least one lap for nine consecutive races

Fascinating fact:
    Singapore has more corners - 23 - than any other circuit on the 2014 calendar. It is also one of the most demanding to drive - not only do drivers have to make an average of 80 gear changes per lap, but due to the heat and humidity, drivers can lose up to 3kg of fluid during the race

Potential record breakers: Mercedes have scored seven one-two finishes this year. They need four more over the remaining six races to tie McLaren's 1988 record for the most one-twos in a season, and four more to eclipse it.

Turbo history: If a Ferrari-powered car wins the race it'll be the first Ferrari turbo win since the 1988 Italian Grand Prix.

Session Times:

Friday 19th September
    10:45 to 12:50 – F1: Practice 1 (Sky Sports F1)
    10:55 to 12:35 – F1: Practice 1 (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    14:15 to 16:15 – F1: Practice 2 (Sky Sports F1)
    14:25 to 16:05 – F1: Practice 2 (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    16:15 to 17:00 – F1: Team Press Conference (Sky Sports F1)
    18:30 to 19:30 – The F1 Show (Sky Sports F1)
    18:45 to 19:00 – Inside F1 (BBC News Channel)

Saturday 20th September
    10:45 to 12:15 – F1: Practice 3 (Sky Sports F1)
    10:55 to 12:05 – F1: Practice 3 (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    13:00 to 15:45 – F1: Qualifying (Sky Sports F1)
    13:55 to 15:05 – F1: Qualifying (BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)
    17:10 to 18:25 – F1: Qualifying Highlights (BBC One)
    18:45 to 19:00 – Inside F1 (BBC News Channel)
    22:30 to 05:35 – WEC: Austin (Motors TV)
    23:00 to 05:00 – WEC: Austin (Eurosport)

Sunday 21st September
    11:30 to 16:30 – F1: Race (Sky Sports F1)
    => 11:30 – Track Parade
    => 12:00 – Race
    => 15:45 – Paddock Live
    12:55 to 15:00 – F1: Race (BBC Radio 5 Live)
    16:30 to 17:30 – Legends: Niki Lauda (Sky Sports F1)
    17:00 to 18:35 – F1: Race Highlights (BBC One)

Team Quotes:
    With the European leg of the season complete, the teams and drivers head to Singapore and the spectacular Marina Bay Street Circuit for the second floodlit race of the year. Those involved in the 2014 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix discuss their prospects…

Sauber
    Esteban Gutierrez
    2013 Qualifying - 10th, 2013 Race - 12th

"I am looking forward to the Singapore Grand Prix, as it is one of my favourite tracks. The fact that the race is hold at night brings a great atmosphere, which I really enjoy. Because of the high humidity, racing is a physical challenge there. I remember last year, not only when I was driving, but even more so when I finished the race, I noticed how much energy this climate consumed. Overall I have good memories from Singapore. In 2013 we had a good qualifying, and it was the first time I made it into Q3. In terms of track layout, I think the characteristics will suit the C33. We have been working intensely on the mechanical set-up of the car, which will be crucial on this circuit, as the track has many tight corners and only a few short straights. I am really looking forward to the weekend, and especially to getting the maximum out of the updates to the car we are having there. It is going to be an interesting race, and there is a realistic chance for a positive result."

Adrian Sutil
    2013 Qualifying - 15th, 2013 Race - 10th

"Driving on the track in Singapore is good fun, and, on top of that, it is a street circuit which I personally like a lot. The circuit has relatively short straights and 23 corners, which makes it the track with the most corners on the calendar. Sheer engine power is not crucial here; rather a high mechanical grip is important because of the many tight corners. Good stability of the car as well as high downforce will be essential, as the circuit has several kerbs and is quite bumpy in some places. I think we will have the best chance for a better result there. Moreover, the night race in Singapore is always special and offers the spectators a great backdrop. I am looking forward to the Asian trip; the Singapore Grand Prix is one of the season highlights."

Giampaolo Dall'Ara, Sauber head of track engineering
    "Considering that the Singapore track is one of those circuits which are less dependent on engine power, as well as the fact that we will be introducing an aerodynamic update package with a new engine cover and a modified front wing, the team is feeling quite positive about regrouping in Singapore. The night race on the street circuit is one of a kind; the track offers the typical engineering challenges of a street circuit with the need for mechanical grip, traction, stability and cooling on top of the job list. To the drivers it is unforgiving in places, it is therefore essential to provide them with a set-up they can fully trust. The show will benefit from Pirelli's compound choice of soft and supersoft, and the safety car deployment rate of 100 percent in the races so far."

Mercedes
    Lewis Hamilton
    2013 Qualifying - 5th, 2013 Race - 5th

“It was a good feeling to finally get back on the top step at Monza - especially after another tough start to the race. The car was just flying out there after those difficult first few laps and it was great to be able to capitalise on the pace I felt I'd had right from the beginning of the weekend. Obviously, with Nico coming second I haven't been able to close the gap too much - but there's still plenty of points to be won and I'm glad to have taken a step forwards. Despite the highs and lows, I'm still well and truly in the hunt for the championship and that is something that gives me huge motivation for the final six races - starting in Singapore. It's a great place to begin the final flyaway phase of the season. The city is buzzing and the track is mega. It's a street circuit and I love street circuits. I won there in 2009 which was a really special experience, plus I had a podium - which should really have been a win - at the first race in 2008. My luck hasn't been great at this circuit since then but hopefully that will change next weekend.”

Nico Rosberg
    2013 Qualifying - 2nd, 2013 Race - 4th

“Even though it didn't work out quite the way I'd hoped, there were still plenty of positives to take away from Monza. Once again our Silver Arrow looked super quick compared to our rivals and hopefully we can carry that right through to the end of the season. Of course, I was disappointed to drop points to my team mate in the championship battle - but I still have the lead and I'm determined to hold on to it. Next up it's the Singapore Grand Prix, which is definitely one of the highlights of the year. There's an amazing atmosphere and the whole city really comes to life for the race weekend. It's just unreal - I would really recommend anybody to go there if they can as it's a fantastic experience. The circuit, the city, the atmosphere... everything! The way they basically shut down a whole place just for Formula One is incredible and it's amazing to think of all the work that must go into making it happen. I got my second ever podium here with P2 in 2008 and I generally enjoy street circuits, so I'm looking to go one better this time around.”

Toto Wolff, head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
    “Italy was a fantastic way to wrap up the European phase of the season after a tough few weekends at the preceding races. It was our first one-two finish since Austria and, realistically, the results in between had not matched the high standards we set ourselves as a team. To see both drivers on the top two steps was a thoroughly deserved reward for all the hard work put in by the people at Brackley, Brixworth and Stuttgart. Lewis produced a fantastic drive to recover from a difficult start and take a well-earned win. For Nico, it was unusual to see a few mistakes when he is usually so consistent - but he has all the mental strength required to bounce back. Away from the racing, it's been a busy week for both the team and for Formula One. On track, it has been confirmed that we will now see less radio traffic. This is a complex and controversial decision which will require a significant effort from the teams to understand how best we can work around it. The directive is not yet fully clear and there will inevitably be some controversy, so it will need further clarification as to how much the essential on-track procedures will be affected - particularly before the start of the race. Also, in the wider world of the sport, we have seen Luca di Montezemolo stand down from his position at Ferrari. Mr di Montezemolo has been an iconic figure in Formula One for many, many years and I personally wish him all the very best. Looking ahead, we now approach the final six races of the season - beginning with the spectacular Singapore Grand Prix. This is an event which the entire paddock looks forward to each year, and we fully intend to kick off the final third of the season with another top result.”

Paddy Lowe, Mercedes team executive director (technical)
    “As a team we were incredibly happy with the result in Monza. It's one of the great circuits of the season and a challenging one to take a win, let alone achieve a one-two finish, so that was extremely satisfying. They were fantastic drives from both Lewis and Nico and it was a welcome return to winning ways. Singapore is a race that I'm sure the whole paddock looks forward to. It's a glamorous event with a fantastic atmosphere - to the extent that standing on the starting grid under the thousands of spotlights feels much like being on stage, waiting for the theatre to begin. It really is a unique weekend - not least because of the peculiar timings. The circuit itself could not stand as more of a contrast to Monza, with a lot of low-speed corner content. The demands on the car are still very high in terms of braking, steering and also the engine. It's also a long race - often running to the full two hour limit and frequently characterised by safety cars. It's a tricky one to manage no matter what position you might be in, with fortune playing a part depending on the nature and timing of any issues which may arise. It's always an action-packed, incident-filled race, with the nature of the track and the heat playing a role in retirements - both mechanical and by human error. We'll be aiming to steer clear of any drama and come away with another strong result as the season enters its final third.”

Red Bull
    Sebastian Vettel
    2013 Qualifying - 1st, 2013 Race - 1st

“I love to come to this amazing and also very clean city. The race track is a bumpy ride and you are being jogged around a lot in the driver’s seat. The circuit is fun but at the same time very challenging. You have to get close to your limits and risk a lot, in order to get the greatest efficiency out of your car. The toughest challenges in Singapore are the heat and the amount of turns. The chicanes are very difficult to drive and you barely get to catch your breath. Very important for a fast lap is the last turn before heading to the start finish line. There is an extremely high curb, which you should not hit otherwise the car lifts up. My greatest memories are the wins of 2011, 2012 and 2013, because I think it’s one of the toughest races of the year. It’s very long, there’s no space for mistakes and the race just seems to go on forever.”

Daniel Ricciardo
    2013 Qualifying - 9th, 2013 Race - DNF

“When you walk around on Thursday, the surface always looks pretty dirty. Modern street races like this tend to wash and scrub the track but even that doesn’t really change the fact that what you’re driving on is a public road with all the grit and grime and dirt that those have. It means you’re in for a slithery, bumpy weekend - which I love! The important thing in Singapore is to not get caught chasing the set-up on a Friday. The track is going to evolve, you’ve just got to be patient and let it happen without constantly tweaking your car, trying to hit a moving target. It’s one of those races where you’re never completely satisfied with the amount of preparation that you do.”

Lotus
    Romain Grosjean
    2013 Qualifying - 3rd, 2013 Race - DNF

“The track is really impressive with some technical parts and some classic street circuit ‘90 degree’ turns. There are a few decent straights but it is mainly busy, busy, busy for us, with corner after corner. Going over landmarks like the (Anderson) Bridge and down the Raffles Boulevard make for a fantastic sight from both the cockpit and also for the TV viewers. This year will be interesting with the new cars. As we saw at Monaco, I am sure that the drivers will be working very hard in the cockpit, especially getting the power down out of the tight turns. And if it is wet at any stage then it will be particularly interesting.

“I really love racing at this track and in fact I love the country as a whole. The Singapore people are very friendly and it is nice to see so many coming downtown to the race. It has a completely unique vibe for the Grand Prix weekend and it takes on an ambience like nowhere else we go to.

“Last weekend was a difficult one for us because the nature of the Monza track was like a penalty. Singapore offers less in terms of compromising the downforce for straight-line speed, so we should be able to fight higher up the grid. We managed to get some points at Monaco, so I am hoping we can achieve something similar on this street circuit too.”

Pastor Maldonado
    2013 Qualifying - 18th, 2013 Race - 11th

“The traction will be fundamental at Singapore, a really big factor. This is because the corners are generally slow and tight, so it means the way we exit them will be critical to ensure a good lap time. The 2014 spec cars will make it very interesting out there and I expect it to be very tricky, especially the first and third sectors. This is where a lot of time can be won or lost. It will be tough to regulate the torque and the traction out of the slow-speed corners. It will be a good challenge but a tough one lap after lap. It should look good for the spectators and TV viewers though. Marina Bay is a test, but this is the reason we love to be F1 drivers. There is something new and challenging every year for us to get to grips with, literally in this case!

“It should be better at Singapore for us and a step forward from Monza. At this stage of the season it is not going to be a massive step, but we expect better things for sure. We will do our very best to make sure that we find a good balance for Singapore because it is a very particular track with lots of different challenges. Of course the one big challenge is the race and most of the other running happens later in the day.

“Overall it is a very demanding track where you get no rest at all really. You are constantly turning or braking and there are only two short straights, not enough to really have a proper rest. But I like it this way because you get a rhythm going quickly. Physically it is tough because the humidity is so high and the race so long, much longer than Monza for instance.”

Federico Gastaldi, Lotus deputy team principal
    “Monza was always going to be very hard for us. Singapore should see an improvement in pace as the track characteristics will suit us more. The drivers are fighters and they really enjoy street circuits, so I think we have the potential to extract a good level of performance from the E22 there. Pastor and Romain will have a stronger package relative to Monza, so I am sure they will grasp this and make the most of it.”

Nick Chester, Lotus technical director
    “It is a high-downforce track, so everybody will be running toward their maximum downforce set-up. Then it really is all about how you manage the mechanical set-up to get the best out of the car in terms of handling the kerbs. Ensuring a good level of grip in the low speed corners is also crucial at Marina Bay.

“In terms of energy management there is a lot of recovery on the brakes enabling you to recharge the battery quite nicely as there isn’t as much time full throttle as other tracks. It is probably more important to look after the car under braking here.

“There will be some new bodywork parts and some new mechanical parts for this race that we will evaluate in the free practice sessions.”

Force India
    Nico Hulkenberg
    2013 Qualifying - 11th, 2013 Race - 9th

"The last race in Italy was disappointing for me. After the race the team found some damage to the floor, which is why we had the balance problems. It made the car difficult to drive. I'm confident things will be better in Singapore and I will be fighting hard to get a good result. It's definitely a tough race. It's hot and humid, and the race usually runs close to two hours, so physically it's probably the most difficult race of the year. It's mentally tough, too, because street circuits are more unforgiving. The walls are close and you have to get close to them if you want to be quick. The other challenge is to get your sleep pattern sorted at the start of the week."

Sergio Perez
    2013 Qualifying - 14th, 2013 Race - 8th

"The result in Monza was an important boost for everyone in the team. It shows that we will continue to fight hard for every point until the end of the season. The battle with Jenson was very clean. Neither of us wanted to give up and it got very close at times, but I knew it was crucial to stay ahead. I enjoy the track and I've always scored points in Singapore so I will try to keep up my record. I think we can be quick. There are a lot of slow corners and that usually works well for our car. I've always liked street circuits so it's up there as one of my favourites. It's a very demanding race and usually quite unpredictable. You have to use the kerbs and attack the corners, which suits my driving style."

Dr Vijay Mallya, Force India team principal
    "I'm cautiously optimistic. This year we've delivered a car that has worked on all tracks so we don't have any concerns about Singapore. The warm temperatures and softer tyre compounds should also work in our favour. We've been working hard to bring some performance to the car as well, which should help us for the rest of the season. We are enjoying the fight and the close competition. Fifth place is just one point away so there is all to play for. For a team like ours to be where we are, fighting with teams that have won races and championships, shows how far we have come. I'm very proud."

Toro Rosso
    Jean-Eric Vergne
    2013 Qualifying - 12th, 2013 Race - 14th

"Singapore is possibly the most difficult Grand Prix for the driver, a really long race on a tricky track, in hot conditions. The track surface is quite bumpy and demanding for the driver, but that makes it challenging which is why it's a track that I love. We will have some performance updates for this race and I hope that means we can make a step forward and get a good result. The fact it's a night race has no real effect on how we tackle the race as visibility is good, in fact the lights are so bright that you don't even use a clear visor, instead I choose a medium tint. Racing at night is fun, it's quite cool to go to bed at five in the morning and get up at two in the afternoon and just stay on French time. Physical preparation is important as it is such a hot race, so we train in very hot conditions wherever possible during the European summer to prepare and I don't expect any problems on that front."

Daniil Kvyat
    2013 Qualifying - n/a, 2013 Race - n/a

"I have actually driven the Singapore track back in 2010. It was in Formula BMW, but of course I only had 140 horsepower then and this year I will have a few times more than that! Therefore it's going to be a very different experience this time and one I am looking forward to. I do like the track a lot, because although it's a street circuit, it's much quicker than Monaco for example. Recently I was able to drive it again, although only on the simulator and the feeling I had was good. Although the walls are very close to you, the track itself is quite wide. I enjoy the aspect of racing at night and actually, after this year's Bahrain GP I said we should have more night races because the atmosphere is really cool. I'm sure it's going to be quite tough physically, but I am prepared for that. In terms of our performance, the fact that absolute power is not the most important part of the package, means we can expect the STR9 to be more competitive than, for example, down the long straights at the last race in Monza. Let's wait and see but on paper it looks more promising, even though we were still able to put up a fight in Italy."

Pirelli
    Paul Hembery, Pirelli motorsport director

"It's always a great pleasure for us to come to Singapore, which has consistently proved itself to be one of the most spectacular races of the year. Racing under the lights in such a vibrant city provides an amazing atmosphere that showcases Formula One at its very best. The unique nature of the race at night obviously has an impact on the tyres, and we've selected the two softest tyres in the range for their rapid warm-up and high levels of mechanical grip: vital characteristics on a street circuit. This is actually a step softer than last year, when we nominated the medium and supersoft, so we should see some interesting tyre strategies with teams taking full advantage of the performance on offer. There's traditionally quite a high incidence of safety cars, so every strategy has to be flexible enough to bear this eventuality in mind as well. With the championship seemingly getting closer, all the signs suggest that we're in for an exciting and unpredictable race."

Williams
    Felipe Massa
    2013 Qualifying - 6th, 2013 Race - 6th

"The Singapore race is fantastic, but also exceptionally difficult. The temperatures are so high and the humidity really affects the drivers physically. The track is similar to Monaco but almost twice the length which adds to the challenge. Staying on European time helps with it being a night race, but it's still a bit strange going to bed at 3am. I really enjoy the race and hope to carry the success we had in Monza into the remaining races of the season."

Valtteri Bottas
    2013 Qualifying - 16th, 2013 Race - 13th

"I'm looking forward to Singapore, it's a very special race - the setting there is really cool, the track is very challenging and there's no room for mistakes. It's a night race but the lights are very bright so it doesn't make a big difference to drive, everything just looks awesome which is great for the fans and builds the atmosphere. The race is long. Normally it goes up to two hours, so it's a challenge for the cars with tyre degradation, and for the drivers physically it will be probably the toughest race of the season due to the heat and humidity. Singapore could be a little more difficult for us compared to Monza, but we have some aero upgrades which should give us more downforce. We go there hoping to fight with Ferrari and Red Bull but we know Mercedes will be very strong."

Rob Smedley, Williams head of vehicle performance
    "Singapore is a night race and even though that brings certain challenges for those who work there, it offers a great spectacle for Formula 1. The track has a few issues that we have to work around, such as the lack of grip that on a normal track would improve, but here doesn't. This results in a lot of wheel spin and oversteer which affects the balance of the car. The main focus for the team is the Constructors' Championship now and we have to establish ourselves in third position, which we regained from Ferrari in Monza."

McLaren
    Jenson Button
    2013 Qualifying - 8th, 2013 Race - 7th

"This is such a special race. The whole weekend feels different - there's a buzz to the paddock when you first walk in on Thursday afternoon and it never goes away. You can feel the vibe - and the tension and anticipation climb higher and higher as we get closer to the race itself on Sunday night.

"We had a positive showing at Spa and Monza, and we're continuing to develop and improve the car. As we move back to higher-downforce circuits, it'll be interesting to see how the pack reshuffles itself - I think we'll still be able to maintain our forward momentum.

"I also think Monza showed us that this formula is working - we had some fantastically close battles in Italy, and I really hope that we continue that in Singapore. It's not the easiest of tracks for racing, but I think Monza has shown that the new regulations are in fact making the racing better. I'm really looking forward to getting out on track and seeing what these cars can do."

Kevin Magnussen

"I've been looking forward to this race all year! I've never done a night race before, so this is going to be such a special weekend. Racing at night under the spotlights really feels like a show, and I think it's an incredible and positive thing for the sport as a whole.

"This is also probably going to be one of the physically toughest races of the year - it'll last for nearly two hours, and there aren't too many opportunities around the lap to relax. But I like that - I like tracks that are quite intense: I really enjoyed the Hungaroring, which is quite relentless, and this looks pretty similar.

"Finally, I think the impending ban on over-the-radio instructions will be interesting. As with any sudden change to the interpretation of the regulations, it's going to be tricky to know exactly how best to proceed, but I'm sure we'll find a way to make it work."

Eric Boullier, McLaren racing director
    "The start of the flyaways marks the final chapter of the world championship season. It's a time when the whole team needs to dig deep as we continue our work to improve the car and carry some positive momentum across the winter and into next year. It's an important time for everyone - and it will be interesting to see how our car responds to the return to the high-downforce circuits that proliferate for the remainder of the year.

"The Singapore Grand Prix has very quickly become one of Formula 1's most important, vibrant and glamorous events. It's a must-see race, and one that shows just what this sport can achieve with an open-minded approach to creating something new, unusual and innovative.

"We are still evaluating the full consequences of the new interpretation of Article 20.1 of the FIA Sporting Regulations, but, as a team, we will of course find a solution that works and which follows this new interpretation. Singapore is a difficult race to manage under normal circumstances, so this will definitely add an extra dimension to our preparations."

Marussia
    Max Chilton
    2013 Qualifying - 22nd, 2013 Race - 17th

“It’s great to be heading back to Singapore. It’s a fantastic city and the atmosphere of the night race is totally electric. I have great memories of winning there in GP2 in 2012, so it’s always nice to come back and race here. The track is not dissimilar to Monaco, another street circuit, and we know our car is well-suited to those track characteristics. I had quite a good race here last year and with only six races remaining, it’s important that we have a good showing at every round.”

Jules Bianchi
    2013 Qualifying - 21st, 2013 Race - 18th

“I really enjoyed my first night race experience here last year; it’s such an unusual and exciting event with a really great atmosphere. It’s fun, doing things differently. Having to push yourself to adopt a new regime is an interesting challenge that requires real discipline. The track characteristics are quite a lot like Monaco, which is a race that is special for a couple of reasons, not least because I finished in the points there. With so many similarities, this is a circuit that also gives me a good feeling. Last year the race did not pan out so well for me, but we learned a great deal and I hope we can bring that experience together to achieve a good result this year. Our car should work well here with all the corners, and as it is often an eventful race, we will be fighting to take advantage of every opportunity.”

John Booth, Marussia team principal
    “Singapore is a fantastic destination at which to begin the final phase of the season. The tempo of the races really steps up a notch from this point as, up and down the field, there is still so much to play for. So it is quite fitting that we get the fly-away races underway in such a vibrant city and one which does a fabulous job of hosting a Grand Prix. Over the past four years we have become well-versed in coping with the unique challenges that this event poses; racing under the lights, operating to a European schedule, eating breakfast in the afternoon, to name but a few. That familiarity has done little to diminish the whole experience and we are excited to get into the swing of the race weekend proper. Of course, the Marina Bay Street Circuit closely resembles Monaco, and within our team we cannot think of Monaco without remembering it as the biggest milestone in our young history - our first points. One cannot take anything for granted though; just like Monaco this is a very unforgiving and demanding track that punishes even a small mistake. Nonetheless, we know our drivers enjoy the tough conditions this race presents and will make the most of the fact that this track, with it short straights and plentiful corners, is one that is ideally suited to our package.”

Mattia Binotto, Scuderia Ferrari chief operating officer - power unit division
    “The Singapore track is very similar, in terms of its characteristics, to Monaco, the circuit where Marussia picked up its best result of the season. The Marina Bay track therefore represents a good opportunity to demonstrate the car’s potential. The aim is to be ready to make the most of any opportunity that might present itself for the team to bring home more points. As usual in Singapore, one of the critical aspects is the high temperature. We will therefore have to pay particular attention to keep all the car’s systems under control, especially the ERS. In this race, reliability will be key and it will be necessary to be very attentive to it at all times.”

Caterham
    Kamui Kobayashi

"I always like the Singapore Grand Prix because it's a night race and its festive atmosphere is definitely one of the highlights of the season. It's a very technical track, with lots of changes of direction, and it's a challenging race for everyone. After finishing ahead of our closest rivals in Italy, I look forward to another good fight out on track in Singapore - it will be good to see what we are capable of with the updated car at the Marina Bay Street Circuit - at street circuits anything can happen and we need to make sure we do our best."

Marcus Ericsson

"Singapore is one of my favourite cities and I cannot wait for my first Formula One night race experience. It's a circuit I know quite well - I've finished on the podium every time I've raced there with GP2, so it brings back very good memories. The track is bumpy and it reminds me a lot of Monaco, even though the Singapore layout is much more physical and requires double the amount of energy over a single lap compared to Monte Carlo. The heat and humidity also make it a tough race weekend, but I've been training hard to make sure I am ready for the challenge and I look forward to the weekend ahead."

Stats from the F1 Stat Blog:
    This will be the seventh Singapore GP, all of which have taken place at the Marina Bay Street Circuit. One lap is 5.073km long and the race will have 61 laps giving a total race distance of 309.453km, fourth longest in 2014 behind Sepang and Sochi. The Singapore GP has been won from pole four times (66.67%) but has never been won from second on the grid. The first Singapore GP in 2008 was (controversially) won from 15th by Alonso, with Rosberg in second and Hamilton in third. The only other race at Marina Bay not won from pole was 2012, Sebastian Vettel won from third on the grid with the two drivers starting on the front row, Hamilton and Maldonado, both retiring.

Just three drivers have won in Singapore, and all are racing this weekend, Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. Vettel is most successful in Singapore with three wins, the last three races were all won by him, he can potentially make it four in a row, but I’d put my money on Mercedes for fairly obvious reasons. The fastest racing lap of the Marina Bay Street Circuit was Kimi Raikkonen’s Ferrari in 2008, lapping in 1:45.599 and an average speed of 173kph or 107mph, second slowest in 2014 behind only Monaco.

At this same point last year Red Bull had 377 points in the Constructors’ Championship, Mercedes are currently on 454.

The Silly Stats

You would need 3.2 million 250g jars of Marmite to cover the track with 1cm of Marmite. 6 million slices of bread would also cover the track, about 300,000 loaves of bread.
    The lights at Singapore use 3,180,000 watts, enough to power all 20 Formula E cars for five and a half races.

Preview courtesy of the FIA, formula1.com, f1broadcasting.wordpress.com, and f1statblog.co.uk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

BxpP9JSCEAEiT1j.png:large

ubs-formula-1-f1-race-strategy-briefing-infographic-singapore-singapore.png

1_d08sin1607ax.jpg
    The first ever F1 night race is go! 2008
    The inaugural Singapore Grand Prix in 2008 was one of the most eagerly anticipated races in Formula One history - and it didn’t disappoint, with drivers and fans declaring the event an instant hit. A huge crowd turned out to see Ferrari’s Felipe Massa (red car, bottom right of picture) lead the field away at the start of the first ever F1 night race, with the famous Singapore Flyer big wheel providing a spectacular backdrop to the action. Over the course of the next 61 laps the fans would be treated to thrills, spills and a surprise winner, but more on that below…
    (© Sutton Images)

2_d08sin1379.jpg
    Controversial Piquet crash hands victory to Alonso, 2008
    When Nelson Piquet Jr (pictured) slammed his Renault into the wall coming out of Turn 17 on lap 13 of the 2008 race in Marina Bay, it looked like a strange crash. Little did people know at the time just how unusual it was. What was evident was that the accident - and subsequent safety car - helped Piquet’s team mate Fernando Alonso considerably. The Spaniard was able to gain crucial track position, which eventually proved decisive in handing the double world champion - who’d started down in 15th - an extremely unlikely victory. Alonso had been incredibly fortunate, or so it seemed until new evidence emerged almost a year later which indicated that Renault team principal Flavio Briatore and executive director of engineering Pat Symonds had ordered Piquet to crash in order to benefit his team mate’s strategy. The FIA launched an immediate investigation into the incident, during which Renault admitted to conspiring to cause a deliberate crash. Unsurprisingly Briatore and Symonds were handed lengthy bans from the sport.
    (© Sutton Images)

3_d08sin1357.jpg
    Nightmare pit stop puts Massa on the back foot, 2008
    This moment didn’t cost Felipe Massa the 2008 world championship, but it certainly didn’t help. The Brazilian, who went on to lose the title to McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton by just one point, led in the early stages of the race before the disastrous pit stop pictured here dropped him down the order. The problems began when Massa was given an erroneous signal to leave his pit box whilst the fuel hose was still attached. As his mechanics tumbled like dominoes, the Brazilian carried on down the pit lane, dragging the severed hose with him. After a minor kerfuffle, Massa eventually got going again, but there was worse to come. At his next pit stop he earned a drive-through penalty for an unsafe release into the path of Adrian Sutil’s Force India, and then later on he spun whilst trying to fight his way back into the points. He eventually finished 13th, ten places behind title rival Hamilton, who extended his points lead over the Ferrari driver to seven points.
    (© Sutton Images)

4_d09sin1408.jpg
    Hamilton makes amends for Monza slip, 2009
    Having ended the previous race in Italy in the barriers, Lewis Hamilton entered the 2009 Singapore Grand Prix sorely wanting to make amends, not just for his mistake at Monza (which occurred on the last lap whilst chasing Jenson Button for second), but for what had been a pretty poor season all round. In the first part of the year the reigning world champion and his McLaren team had struggled to match the pace of the dominant Brawns and Red Bulls, but a dramatic mid-season performance upswing enabled Hamilton to return to contention in Hungary, where he took a fine victory. When the action shifted to Marina Bay four races later, the Briton - out of the title race and with nothing to lose - was on the attack again and duly stuck his KERS-equipped MP4-24 on pole, before easing to a comfortable victory in the race. “I wanted to redeem myself after the last lap in Monza,” Hamilton said afterwards. “We came here hoping for a good result - and we got it!”
    (© Sutton Images)

5_d10sin1792.jpg
    Kovalainen indulges in an impromptu spot of firefighting, 2010
    “That was not quite how I thought my race would end!” exclaimed Heikki Kovalainen after seeing his Lotus spectacularly go up in flames on lap 58 of the 2010 race at Marina Bay. The Finn had been dicing with Toro Rosso’s Sebastien Buemi for 13th place when the pair made contact, forcing Kovalainen into a spin. The former McLaren race-winner spun his car back around, but in doing so unwittingly cracked the fuel tank pressure release valve, causing a fire in his T127’s airbox. “I didn’t want to come into the pits as it definitely wasn’t safe enough to do so, so I pulled over on the main straight,” explained Kovalainen. “A couple of guys from Williams gave me an extinguisher, so I put the fire out on my own.” Although disappointed to retire, he was able to see the funny side of the incident after the race: “I told Tony (Fernandes, Lotus Racing’s team boss) and Mike (Gascoyne, technical chief) that they maybe need to pay me more as I’m now a fireman as well…”
    (© Sutton Images)

6_d10sin1806.jpg
    Alonso jumps for joy after seeing off Vettel challenge, 2010
    There are not many drivers who could sustain intense pressure from Sebastian Vettel for lap after lap, and even fewer that could do it in an arguably inferior machine, but that’s just what Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso did in the 2010 race at Singapore. The Spaniard made his feelings clear on the very first lap, chopping across the front of Vettel’s faster starting Red Bull to establish what would be a crucial lead. From then on, whilst he couldn’t shake the German off, Alonso controlled proceedings, remaining error-free for nearly two hours of racing in hot and humid conditions to claim his third win in five races and thrust himself into second in the championship standings. Rarely has the phrase ‘cool under pressure’ seemed so apt. No wonder he was so happy on the podium…
    (© Sutton Images)

7_d11sin2356.jpg
    Hamilton and Massa tangle - again, 2011
    McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari’s Felipe Massa collided no fewer than five times in the 2011 season, with the moment pictured here leading to the duo’s most heated post-race exchange. It occurred on lap 12 of the race at Marina Bay as Hamilton, trying to find a way past the fourth-placed Brazilian, clipped Massa’s right-rear tyre with his front wing endplate, puncturing it instantly. The Briton was handed a drive-through penalty for the incident, but that wasn’t enough to satisfy a furious Massa. “There’s no point in me hiding the disappointment and anger I feel at the end of a race that could have delivered a very different result,” he said after coming home ninth, four places behind his rival. “The damage following contact with Hamilton penalised me a lot because I lost so much time in the early stages when the traffic was still very heavy. After the race, I tried to talk to him to clear the air but he walked away without even answering, so I told him what I thought when we found ourselves in the interview area…” Two further collisions would follow before the season was out.
    (© Sutton Images)

8_x5j8237.jpg
    Schumacher runs into the back of Vergne, 2012
    Michael Schumacher wasn’t a driver predisposed to making mistakes, but on lap 39 of the 2012 Singapore race he made a big one. The seven-time world champion (silver car, right of picture) was running close behind Toro Rosso’s Jean-Eric Vergne when he inexplicably ran into the back of the Frenchman’s tenth-placed car (left of picture) under braking, taking both drivers spectacularly out of the race. As you can see from this picture, both cars suffered considerable damage and the safety car was instantly deployed whilst the debris was cleared. Schumacher immediately accepted blame for the unusual incident and apologised to Vergne, but that didn’t stop the stewards handing the Mercedes star a 10-place grid drop for the next race in Japan.
    (© LAT Photographic)

9_dn1323se132.jpg
    Sparkling Vettel completes Singapore hat-trick, 2013
    In recent times Sebastian Vettel has developed a knack for raising his game as the season swings into its latter stages, and over the last three years his charge has begun in Singapore. The four-time world champion was a victor at Marina Bay in 2011 and 2012, but his most dominant win at the demanding street circuit came in last year’s event. After claiming pole by 0.091s on Saturday, Vettel led every lap of Sunday’s race, setting the fastest lap along the way to complete his third career grand slam. So, how did the German explain such perfection? “When others are already sitting at the poolside we (Red Bull) are still in the paddock working meticulously on the smallest detail.” Ouch.
    (© Sutton Images)

10_dpl1322se025.jpg
    Webber hitches an expensive lift with Alonso, 2013
    There are many famous examples of drivers hitching a lift back to the pits on other cars - think back to Ayrton Senna perching on the side of rival Nigel Mansell’s Williams at Silverstone, or Jean Alesi memorably celebrating his maiden F1 victory whilst clinging to the back of Michael Schumacher’s Benetton in Canada. But when Mark Webber took a ride on Fernando Alonso’s Ferrari following last year’s race in Singapore, the duo found themselves in hot water. The problem, according to the stewards, was not the lift itself but the fact that the Red Bull driver, whose RB9 had expired on the final lap, had entered the track without the permission of the marshals. Alonso, meanwhile, was punished for ‘actions that could have been dangerous to other drivers or persons’ after the Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg were forced to swerve around his slowing car. Both Webber and Alonso were, unsurprisingly, handed reprimands.
    (© Sutton Images)

Via formula1.com

Yes, it was that short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Im over here now for it, City and track look amazing, Id be extremely surprised if it rained, im here a week tomorrow and it has rained once for about 20 minutes, although when it rains it absolutely buckets it down.

2d6qq7t.jpg
    vgnbyo.jpg

Oh and those of you into cars they had a ferrari convention outside the Fullerton Hotel yesterday, lost count of the amount of prancing horses I saw, unfortuantely didnt have my camera and the phone was dead but got a few off twitter today..

1236462_10151589840077484_780125534_n.jpg?oh=8a55e731be22531367e98d59623a1911&oe=5496E5E1&__gda__=1419293529_3c29fcca9f4f227cd08ada9127448680

11jqkqr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

6 years since crash gate. Welcome back Flav.

The most likely person to get Bernie's job when it comes time!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Rosberg now resorting to throwing his wing mirror glass under Hamilton's wheels. Doesn't work as well when it's just practice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Good result there in FP1 for Alonso. Despite it only being Friday, we knew the Red Bulls were hoping to get with two tenths of the Mercs & couldn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    Good result there in FP1 for Alonso. Despite it only being Friday, we knew the Red Bulls were hoping to get with two tenths of the Mercs & couldn't.

I don't think anything will change with the pecking order though. Alonso will go backwards in quali and the Mercs will be streets ahead.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I don't think anything will change with the pecking order though. Alonso will go backwards in quali and the Mercs will be streets ahead.

Ah yeah, the Mercs have a lot in reserve I imagine. Unless Red Bull are bluffing though, could Ferrari be after making some gains here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

That's the fifth practice session Alonso has topped this year. Hasn't come to anything the other times. It appears to be something they go for.

• Advertisement

Gillespy wrote: »
    That's the fifth practice session Alonso has topped this year. Hasn't come to anything the other times. It appears to be something they go for.

Yeah perhaps, light on fuel in FP1?

Maldonado in the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Maldonado in the wall!

Shocked ;-)

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    Shocked ;-)

Ha, they were saying during FP1 that he was normally good around here too. He really is the ultimate argument against pay drivers isn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Brilliant headline on planetf1.com- "Lewis hits the front, Pastor the wall"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maldonado in the wall!
    At this stage he seems to have jinxed himself. I wonder does he spend most his time in the car thinking about not crashing leading to distraction. Or is he just a terrible driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Ha, they were saying during FP1 that he was normally good around here too. He really is the ultimate argument against pay drivers isn't he

Can't believe he has a drive for next season as well. Someone like JEV should get his seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Money talks, unfortunately :-(

On topic: surprisingly poor show from Williams in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Zcott wrote: »
    Money talks, unfortunately :-(

On topic: surprisingly poor show from Williams in practice.

A few journalists are saying that Williams speed was down to heavy fuel loads, but Felipe Massa in interviews has said that they are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Hamilton extremely lucky not to plant it in the wall there. Mercedes will be very comfortable pace wise here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Rosberg practising a Monaco repeat for q3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We could have one of the closet races this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Lewis put in a super lap to claim pole today. Just .007 of a second quicker than his team mate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Gintonious wrote: »
    We could have one of the closet races this year!

Unfortunately overtaking can be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Infoanon wrote: »
    Unfortunately overtaking can be difficult.

Thats true, but with people pushing and the different strategies on tyres we could get some safety car action.

Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Great qualifying, and hilarious to hear Rosberg shout 'damnit!' when told he lost out by 0.007. Very human.

Zcott wrote: »
    Great qualifying, and hilarious to hear Rosberg shout 'damnit!' when told he lost out by 0.007. Very human.

Yeah, like he said in the press conference, he could see everywhere on his lap that he could have made the time. "It's nothing" was what he called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ScumLord wrote: »
    At this stage he seems to have jinxed himself. I wonder does he spend most his time in the car thinking about not crashing leading to distraction. Or is he just a terrible driver?

Maybe he is a terrible driver or maybe not. I am suprised they ae keeping him on next year considering the amount of crash he has had.They must really need the money he brings as a paid driver. There is no doubting do that the car certainly is not good and you got to remember that a) Lotus never got to do the prober tests on there suspension before the season started b)the FRIC suspenson they had is no longer on the car as it was banned mid season stupid decision and c) they are no longer developing the car no more updates for it. So ye Id say it does not help that the car is not good. I agree there is definitely a few better drivers out there that would no doubt do a better job in the car than him. Id say at the moment even Jules Bianchi might do a better job than him and Koboyashi certainly would. But look at Grojoan he was really bad for a while but is much better now so maybe next season Maldonado will be too. If Lotus can do with him what they done for Grojoan otherwise if he is still crashing next year as well then he should think about getting another job somewhere else.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tough start for Rosberg. Back of the pits. And Kamui out already?

Nightmare. I really want a Lewis/Nico battle on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Interesting warm up lap, gutted for Rosberg. Looks like he has got Hamiltons early season bad luck

Advertisement