Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engagement rings: Diamonds & Vanity?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

I got married in December 2010. We didn't want to spend over €1,000 for all our rings put together and we managed! I had wanted a sapphire ring but alas it was before Kate and William got married so it was hard to find. But we found an "engagement" ring in a shop in our town for €260 - it was sapphire, diamonds and white gold and has a (faux) antique feel to it. And we managed to get our wedding rings for under €750 at a really nice jeweller's called Corr's in Powerscourt Shopping Centre of Grafton Street. Everywhere else, our budget was laughed at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

byrned17 wrote: »
    I got married in December 2010. We didn't want to spend over €1,000 for all our rings put together and we managed! I had wanted a sapphire ring but alas it was before Kate and William got married so it was hard to find. But we found an "engagement" ring in a shop in our town for €260 - it was sapphire, diamonds and white gold and has a (faux) antique feel to it. And we managed to get our wedding rings for under €750 at a really nice jeweller's called Corr's in Powerscourt Shopping Centre of Grafton Street. Everywhere else, our budget was laughed at!

(And I have never owned expensive jewellery before!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

byrned17 wrote: »
    (And I have never owned expensive jewellery before!)

Neither did I. My ring was 1495, the wedding band was 150. My husbands wedding band was 795.

I see some on the wedding forum spending 3k on a dress they are going to wear for one day. That's mad, most of their dresses cost more than my ring and I wear it every day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

The judgement works both ways... People are judging women for wanting a diamond, yet dont want to be judged for not wanting one..

Double standards anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why does anyone give a **** about others think of what you have on your finger. Its for you, not them. They dont give a **** either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Wow I would stop worrying about what others think and others do right now as its only going to get worse with the wedding.

I was given a diamond ring even though I said I did just wanted a silver one, so now I have a white gold ring which im allergic to and embarrassed to wear because it looks flashy and not me. My partner tries to keep up appearances, I don't.. I have thrown out the window every idea of what others do on their wedding and said I want a simple dress, normal suits, no flashy bridesmaid dress, just a ceremony, nice dinner somewhere and a dance, none of this oh you HAVE to spend a grand on flowers because that's what everyone does, or you have to have a champagne reception for everyone etc. no I have to have what suits me not what is the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

I think engagement rings (like everything else) follow trends. When I got engaged 20 years ago cluster rings were in vogue and coloured stones. I had my eye on a peridot and diamond cluster but my ex-husband got me a solitaire.

I got some strange comments about my solitaire such as, it's a bit plain isn't it? He didn't give it much thought did he? etc., etc. I loved my solitaire and didn't care but to be honest 6 years down the line and 2 kids I had gotten fed up with it.

1.) The money on my finger could have relieved alot of stresses

2.) Everyone had a solitaire ring then and it looked the same as everyone elses.

15 years down the line, it is in a safe with my wedding ring and the kids can do what they want with them. :D

20 years down the line it seems I have told 50 young women that their rings are gorgeous when in fact they are just the same as mine and everyone elses.

My cousin is a jeweller and she said the trend is swinging back towards clusters and coloured stones. Whether this is the "Kate effect" or the effect of the recession I don't know.

Even though I have developed an aversion to diamond rings because they have become the norm and therefore common,(In frequency not taste) I think an engagement ring is very personal to the couple, their tastes, the meaning and their financial circumstances. I don't think anyone has the right to judge anyone on their choice of engagement ring and no-one has the right to comment.

but which would you prefer

http://www.thediamondstore.co.uk/peridot-&-007ct-diamond-ring-9k-white-gold-p3331c269.cfm

or

http://www.serendipitydiamonds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=R1D019

:D:D:D:D

Conrach wrote: »

I wouldnt wear either, i went for a 7 stone ring, not typical trilogy ring as i have 4 smaller stones either side of the middle stone the at each end middle sized stones. I wanted a unique ring and TBH ive never seen another ring like mine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

One of my college tutors has a huge rock and I must admit it is a fabulous piece of jewellery. But if I was to get the same ring, it would swamp my hand as I have slimmer fingers.

Nothing ruins a lovely ring faster than when it doesn't suit the woman's hand, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't have an engagement ring. I'm not into rings anyway but we really couldn't afford it and everything was on a budget so I told him to hang onto his money and put it into the wedding instead.

I think if you are going into marriage with a list of "must haves" then you need to ask yourself what you want. A marriage or a wedding?

By all means have the most expensive ring in the shop if you can afford it but not having one or going cheap on it doesn't mean your relationship will be any less valid/romantic/special or successful.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't have an engagement ring. I'm not into rings anyway but we really couldn't afford it and everything was on a budget so I told him to hang onto his money and put it into the wedding instead.

I think if you are going into marriage with a list of "must haves" then you need to ask yourself what you want. A marriage or a wedding?

By all means have the most expensive ring in the shop if you can afford it but not having one or going cheap on it doesn't mean your relationship will be any less valid/romantic/special or successful.

That was my mom, she was with my dad for 30 years before he died and she never had a wedding ring, let alone an engagement ring. They got married when i was 8 or 9 (i was the youngest), i think she does feel hard done by, if he could afford to by a boat or spend 60 pound a week on alcohol (im 30 so your talking a couple of decades ago) he could have saved up for some sort of ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Further to inheriting my engagement ring I have now found out I am also getting my grandmother's eternity ring as my wedding ring...all 7 diamonds of it :eek: I put it on and nearly died when I saw how shiny the whole lot was, I was happy to buy a €400 plain band, so I don't know how well I'll deal with the shiny one, might try it on a few times and see. I'm already sick of jewellers and other women making the most vapid materialistic comments about my rings and diamond rings in general, afraid the two rings together might make it worse! I'd also be afraid people will think I'm one of them women who had the lists of demands re: diamonds and flashy wedding stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Acoshla wrote: »
    Further to inheriting my engagement ring I have now found out I am also getting my grandmother's eternity ring as my wedding ring...all 7 diamonds of it :eek: I put it on and nearly died when I saw how shiny the whole lot was, I was happy to buy a €400 plain band, so I don't know how well I'll deal with the shiny one, might try it on a few times and see. I'm already sick of jewellers and other women making the most vapid materialistic comments about my rings and diamond rings in general, afraid the two rings together might make it worse! I'd also be afraid people will think I'm one of them women who had the lists of demands re: diamonds and flashy wedding stuff.

Just say, "Family heirloom" and feck the begrudgers! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Acoshla wrote: »
    Who cares what they think? It's your ring, it's what's important to you that matters. Not some daft judgemental twat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

This is a great thread with all sorts of views, some posters have aid tribute to their partners in ways that jewellery could never do.

My tuppence worth

Love what you have.

It is impossible to be sure that diamonds are not blood or conflict diamonds, the kimberley process is a failure.

Diamonds are beautiful but savagely overpriced. Anyone who thinks they are an investment should try getting a good price selling them, Jewellers will give you a fantastic valuation for insurance but ask a broker for actual cash and the price is shockingly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Cedrus wrote: »
    It is impossible to be sure that diamonds are not blood or conflict diamonds, the kimberley process is a failure.

While agreeing the Kimberley process has a million loopholes, I do disagree with the other statement above.
    By buying a lab created diamond you can be 100% sure that your diamond is not a product of the dirty side of the jewel trade.
    These diamonds are created artificially while still possessing all the chemical and aesthetic features of a mined one, however these diamonds cannot be a product of conflict and do not cause the same level of environmental damage.

evilmonkee wrote: »
    While agreeing the Kimberley process has a million loopholes, I do disagree with the other statement above.
    By buying a lab created diamond you can be 100% sure that your diamond is not a product of the dirty side of the jewel trade.
    These diamonds are created artificially while still possessing all the chemical and aesthetic features of a mined one, however these diamonds cannot be a product of conflict and do not cause the same level of environmental damage.

Sorry, I forgot Synthetic Diamonds, it would of course be feasible for these to have full traceability, some who value diamonds a bit too much, do not feel the same about these though.
    I wouldn't be so sure about their environmental impact as they take a lot of energy to produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

They're really cute I've never seen them before!!

What about something totally mad but really cool like this?:D

Boodles.jpg

• Advertisement

I saw this picture on Facebook earlier and immediately thought of this thread. Now THIS is the kind of quirky rings I would go for if I were into the whole marriage thing :D

420092_311689685533529_249435905092241_797085_874374567_n.jpg

I can guess which is his and which is hers. Not my thing.

I saw this picture on Facebook earlier and immediately thought of this thread. Now THIS is the kind of quirky rings I would go for if I were into the whole marriage thing :D

Perfect for the Romantics who want to express their strong bond and close fit, and the Cynics who think they're getting screwed. :p

I can guess which is his and which is hers. Not my thing.

Actually I would have said the screw is hers (it has a diamond) and the bolt is his. It amuses me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I when I was growing up always wanted a ruby surrpunded by synthetic diamonds.

I mean, as a scientist, it's just a bunch of Carbon atoms together, its the thought that counts!!

I'm not engaged yet but would love something like this : http://blogs.wsj.com/runway/2008/12/11/lunchtime-snap-engagement-bling-loses-some-sparkle/

(ignore articical, just look at the big ring :O )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

My late grandmothers ring is waiting for me. It's gorgeous. Gold band, 4 white diamonds either side of a ruby stone with is raised above the others. It's really beautiful and it has huge sentimental meaning too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

People who judge other people's wedding rings need to get over themselves
    and that includes people who shame women for wanting diamonds,

not all diamonds are blood diamonds FFS

People who judge other people's wedding rings need to get over themselves
    and that includes people who shame women for wanting diamonds,

Define Blood Diamond and come up with a system of proving it or GTFO
    The Kimberley Process is a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

My partner got me a white gold diamond ring and I don't wear it , I'm embarrassed to be wearing a diamond because its not me and I'm allergic to it fml he's gonna think I don't love him :pac: I just want a little silver ring its only a symbol after all and I don't understand why people want to walk around with 1000's worth of jewelry on them :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So much judgement in one little thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Honey-ec wrote: »

Was just thinking the same thing.

Are people not entitled to their own tastes anymore? Simple or extravagant, it's nothing to do with me what people want to put on their hands.

• Advertisement

stop judging me you judger :mad::pac:

Fair enough, there's no no way of knowing.

But you should still back the f*ck off telling other women what to do, its none of your damn business where they got their ring.

And not wanting a diamond ring is fine also, but it doesn't make you super unique morally better.

But you should still back the f*ck off telling other women what to do, its none of your damn business where they got their ring.

And not wanting a diamond ring is fine also, but it doesn't make you super unique morally better.

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

:eek::eek:

You were asking for it, in fairness.

You were asking for it, in fairness.

Why? How?

For questioning the Kimberly Process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Why? How?

For questioning the Kimberly Process?

For requesting that she get the f*ck out if she couldn't define blood diamond and prove it?!

But you should still back the f*ck off telling other women what to do, .....

I only spoke the lingua franca.

I only spoke the lingua franca.

"FFS" was mild enough expression of exasperation I used and not directed at anyone in particular.

I don't take rudeness from anyone on these boards, you told me to GTFO which is pretty nasty, how did you expect me to respond?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK folks lets dial it back please, we're among friends. Thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement