Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

As I mentioned previously the lamb is good, I think the fillet beef is also nice...(amber fire fillet steak is lovely) They do this stuff called chicken japenese style, (I think) which is also lovely and not spicy, lots of chicken and mushrooms in a soy based sauce....yum!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

Four seas is nice, but as one poster said there are no nice Chinese's in Thurles, i have to say i LOVE Kambo's over Kickeys pub. They are really friendly in their and the food is so tasty. Each to their own tho i suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Passed what was formerly Sous le Vent earlier today and there was some work going on with new paintwork and signage over the front. All I was able to see while passing was the word "Restaurant" and a phone no. Any update on re-opening plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Restaurant named New St seems to have opened in the last few days where Sous le Vent used to be. Anyone been yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

Havent been yet but a few people I work with have been and said that they are refusing to honour SLV vouchers.

• Advertisement

I walked past it this morning....

It's no replacement for SLV as it is a sambo type place that is only open 'till 5.

Looks like we are heading back to the old days of only the chinese/indian option for eating out.

Must give Mitchell Hse another go...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Rhalliord wrote: »
    Havent been yet but a few people I work with have been and said that they are refusing to honour SLV vouchers.

You claimed earlier on this thread that all SLV vouchers would be honoured by the new owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

flipall wrote: »
    Four seas is nice, but as one poster said there are no nice Chinese's in Thurles, i have to say i LOVE Kambo's over Kickeys pub. They are really friendly in their and the food is so tasty. Each to their own tho i suppose!!

Kambo's isn't great food wise. But the staff are good and friendly, bonus points for them going to the pub for you and bringing up drinks :)
    Food is average to below average, but the service is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Rabies wrote: »
    Kambo's isn't great food wise. But the staff are good and friendly, bonus points for them going to the pub for you and bringing up drinks :)
    Food is average to below average, but the service is good.

I'd be a fan of their food. Love their Duck, sweet and sour chicken, bbq ribs and agree with ya that you can't beat having a few pints with your dinner if your on a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I used to like Kambo about 2 years ago but have found their chicken to be of poor quality recently. But as said the staff are really friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

hinault wrote: »
    You claimed earlier on this thread that all SLV vouchers would be honoured by the new owners?

Thats what Brendan told me . Guess either him or the new owner is/was full of ****

Thats what Brendan told me . Guess either him or the new owner is/was full of ****

Apparently someone is full of sh1te.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Apparently someone is full of sh1te.:rolleyes:

I spoke to Tom (the new proprietor) and the condensed version of the story re the vouchers is as follows .....

While negotiations were ongoing Tom was told by Brendan that they (he and Marcus) had 2 bank accounts, one for the normal stuff and one for the vouchers.

Brendan said the voucher money would be transferred over to the new owners, hence the promises that the vouchers would be honoured.

The money was never handed over and in fact the second bank account never even existed.

And another plus for any of you heading in there you will be pleased to hear that the kitchen is now spotless and all the broken equipment has been fixed.

:)

Cerbera wrote: »
    I spoke to Tom (the new proprietor) and the condensed version of the story re the vouchers is as follows .....

While negotiations were ongoing Tom was told by Brendan that they (he and Marcus) had 2 bank accounts, one for the normal stuff and one for the vouchers.

Brendan said the voucher money would be transferred over to the new owners, hence the promises that the vouchers would be honoured.

The money was never handed over and in fact the second bank account never even existed.

And another plus for any of you heading in there you will be pleased to hear that the kitchen is now spotless and all the broken equipment has been fixed.

thanks for the update.

Personally I don't a give a flying fig who is responsible.

If the new owner refuses to honour the SLV vouchers that his decision.
    He will not get any business from me going forward.
    (and I put a considerable amount of business SLV's way).

Also I hope the previous owners don't cross my path in the future:mad:

thanks for the update.

Personally I don't a give a flying fig who is responsible.

If the new owner refuses to honour the SLV vouchers that his decision.
    He will not get any business from me going forward.
    (and I put a considerable amount of business SLV's way).

Also I hope the previous owners don't cross my path in the future:mad:

That doesn't make any sense to me.

The previous owner lied to you, took your voucher money even though he knew he was closing and then fu(ked off with your money in his pocket and you blame the new owner?

:confused:

Maybe I'm missing something here and perhaps you can explain .....

Apparently old owners also left a local butcher with a substantial bill unpaid....:mad:

Seems to fit with the voucher issue....

That doesn't make any sense to me.

The previous owner lied to you, took your voucher money even though he knew he was closing and then fu(ked off with your money in his pocket and you blame the new owner?

:confused:

Maybe I'm missing something here and perhaps you can explain .....

It's quite simple.

When the new owner was buying the existing business, the asking price for the business would have been determined by how much turnover the business had, how much the business owed (creditors = suppliers, voucher holders etc)
    and how much the business was owed (credit extended to customers etc).

The values of what was owed by the business would have been factored in to whatever selling price was agreed with the new owner.
    The new owner bought the business factoring in what was owed by the previous owner to existing customers.

or else he's been ripped off too : which doesn't augur well:rolleyes:(and that's being charitable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

It's quite simple.

When the new owner was buying the existing business, the asking price for the business would have been determined by how much turnover the business had, how much the business owed (creditors = suppliers, voucher holders etc)
    and how much the business was owed (credit extended to customers etc).

The values of what was owed by the business would have been factored in to whatever selling price was agreed with the new owner.
    The new owner bought the business factoring in what was owed by the previous owner to existing customers.

or else he's been ripped off too : which doesn't augur well:rolleyes:(and that's being charitable).
    The country is full of people with vouchers for businesses that no longer exist. Vouchers for any business were always very vulnerable in that they have no standing in law. The previous proprieter of this business sold you a voucher and now its useless. I would draw a line under it and give the new proprieter a chance to bulid their business. Bitterness and vindictive sniping will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I'd imagine the new owner didn't buy the old business but is just renting the premises after the other one closed so they wouldn't have any obligation to the old business but I could be wrong.

There's more to this than can, or will, be posted on here.

Basically the previous proprietor got your money, took it and ran.

Face it, he screwed you.

:eek:

• Advertisement

There's more to this than can, or will, be posted on here.

Basically the previous proprietor got your money, took it and ran.

Face it, he screwed you.

:eek:

As I said earlier I hope the previous owner doesn't cross my path.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JMLB94

macjohn wrote: »
    Depends on what you are after - there is a little place in the homevalu hardware store, in by the ford dealership, on the Nenagh road that I have poped into a few times. Wraps baps that kinda stuff nice cakes and gateau but for me if on the road they do lovely coffee.
    The last time I was in they seemed to know most customers names - often a good sign that have a lot of regulars which often indicates a nice place

That place is called The Runnerbean, fab coffee in there and the desserts are all home made which is a nice touch. Alot of places tend to bulk buy their desserts but this place obviously makes everything in house. Must head up there again soon. I think they also do outside catering for wedding, christenings etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree with JMLB the Runner bean has nice desserts and lovely sambos and smoothies, wasn't fond of the soup though but I'm fussy. So many places have bought in desserts but these are made afaik there.

Treated ourselves to Mitchel House recently not something we get to do often but they are really really good value now esp. the early bird and the food's tasty, not sure if the desserts are bought in but they don't taste or look bought in they just look really well made and they're yum!

Imo if going for a nice breakfast or a nice soup or a tasty traditional dinner the Tara wins hands down, if going for relaxing early evening or evening meal Mitchel House, if going for a nice sambo or panini Runner Bean.
    Shimla I love, staff are so friendly and I love their food.

Would love to try the New st. one, never got a chance to go to SLV but would like to try New St. I'd give them the benifit of the doubt.

Kambos is ok but I do think it'd be nice to have a really good Chinese in the town. Jumbo food is so bad even I couldn't eat the stuff bleah. It used to be grand years ago what happened??

Hungry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

well New Street in place of SLV didnt last long, has been closed since before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jockey123

I am from the Thurles area and have always found the Horse and Jockey the best place to eat.Fair enough the place is heaving at times but that is only a testament to how good the food and atmosphere is.Good bar,friendly locals and one of the only hotels in the country not under NAMA I heard recently.
    Wouldn't dream of eating in Thurles.Maybe Shimla though..

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

new Italian (run by polish) gone into new street/ sou le vent/ nearbuy/ ryans...what next

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Jockey123 wrote: »
    I am from the Thurles area and have always found the Horse and Jockey the best place to eat.Fair enough the place is heaving at times but that is only a testament to how good the food and atmosphere is.Good bar,friendly locals and one of the only hotels in the country not under NAMA I heard recently.
    Wouldn't dream of eating in Thurles.Maybe Shimla though..

Very average food and mediocre service.
    Normal pub dinners, nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Rabies wrote: »
    Very average food and mediocre service.
    Normal pub dinners, nothing special.

+1
    very normal, or sometimes mediorce at busy times.
    Whether its in nama hardly relevant to this thread.
    Bit unfair to compare very standard hotel/pub grub to an entire town??

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

tippguy wrote: »
    new Italian (run by polish) gone into new street/ sou le vent/ nearbuy/ ryans...what next

Always good to see new business trying, hope they do well.

Was driving but had they some notice in the window about cashcards? Couldn't see it properly - hope they didnt open before ready, like to pay with card.

Any indication of (i) Opening hours? (which seems to be a regular letdown in this venue no matter who is running it)
    (ii)what market they targetting? Formal-ish sit down like the previous crowd or more cafe/bistro style?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Shimla is nice, and the restaraunt in the shopping centre do a nice fry up.
    Townhouse deli used to do lovely sausage rolls if you need a quick fix, dunno if they are still open.

Advertisement