Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League on pay TV only?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »

I am assuming that they will have a studio for GAA coverage in Ireland.

They won't - they'll be presenting from temporary sets at grounds, though not quite pitch side as TV3 often did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    They won't - they'll be presenting from temporary sets at grounds, though not quite pitch side as TV3 often did.

What about there midweek highlights show?

Either way I don't see Sky not taking an interest in Irish Rights to Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

If the keep irish subscribers I don't see why it won't be worthwhile.

It would be very different to sky news Ireland but it shows the possibility.

I am assuming that they will have a studio for GAA coverage in Ireland.

It's not impossible that SKY will take an interest in the rights, but it's unlikely. Yes there are Irish Subscribers, but if you take into account all the hassle they'd have to go through it might just not be worth their while. SKY Sports subscribers in Ireland are probably 5 to 10 percent of the overall Market. I will say that those that got SKY in the earlier days in the UK where more likely to subscribe to Sky Sports than Here. Many who subscribe here do it out of necessity for choice, so they're more likely to be on a basic package.

On top of that getting the GAA rights means that current Irish Subscribers are more likely to hang on to their subscription. At the end of the day it comes down to return for cash laid out and IMHO and from past experience SKY have never gone for Irish rights alone...But I may be wrong.

What about there midweek highlights show

No analysis. Presumably they can tape a short introduction on the day of their live game or have Carney do it from Iselworth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

No analysis. Presumably they can tape a short introduction on the day of their live game or have Carney do it from Iselworth.

They could do something that most international sports do at this stage with highlights shows. No in vision introduction at all, just a voiceover over pictures and graphics between match highlights and interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/11132035/BT-Sport-in-talks-with-ITV-over-sharing-Champions-League-and-Europa-League-games.html
    discussions have taken place between the broadcasters that may result in BT subletting a certain number of Champions League and Europa League matches it holds the exclusive rights to from 2015.

BT did commit to making certain matches available free-to-air across both the Champions League and Europa League, including both finals and at least one match per season involving each English club involved in the competitions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

The Cush wrote: »

second picks games on tuesday nights up on itv maybe

I hope bt sport get the irish rights and keep it all on pay tv as they have the red button on sky now

ftakeith wrote: »
    I hope bt sport get the irish rights and keep it all on pay tv as they have the red button on sky now

I would say they will do a similar deal with one of the Irish channels if they do pick up the rights. I'd say it will be RTÉ if it does happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Why would you actually hope for and/or prefer that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

is there a risk next year that the games on BT will be geo blocked for us in the ROI as is the case with the Europa league at the moment

kooga wrote: »
    is there a risk next year that the games on BT will be geo blocked for us in the ROI as is the case with the Europa league at the moment

We won't know what way any of it will work until the Irish rights have been sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I would say they will do a similar deal with one of the Irish channels if they do pick up the rights. I'd say it will be RTÉ if it does happen.

Or UTV Ireland .. who could re-broadcast ITV's coverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Time for a name change I think.

Or UTV Ireland .. who could re-broadcast ITV's coverage?

No, different territory for TV rights. The RoI media rights are tendered for separately and UTVI can bid for those rights.

The Cush wrote: »
    No, different territory for TV rights. The RoI media rights are tendered for separately and UTVI can bid for those rights.

Point made is regarding possibilities in the event of BT winning all the RoI rights...

• Advertisement

radiowaves wrote: »
    Point made is regarding possibilities in the event of BT winning all the RoI rights...

Ok, didn't read the quoted post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cool666

Its coming into November. So i think start of November but maybe someone else knows. I reckon Tv3 with money they have saved up over the summer with no GAA rights and Utv Ireland will get it Big loss to Rte once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

cool666 wrote: »
    Its coming into November. So i think start of November but maybe someone else knows. I reckon Tv3 with money they have saved up over the summer with no GAA rights and Utv Ireland will get it Big loss to Rte once again.

UTV Ireland will have no interest in it. ITV have lost champions league rights so there is no real reason to bid for it for them. TV3 maybe and Setanta/BT are the other contenders unless RTE can justify spending vast sums of licence fee money.

I think that the amount of money being spent by TV3 on Red Rock and RWC 2015 rules them out of any big deals.

I am guessing it will be BT/Setanta with RTÉ/TV3/UTV taking the FTA rights. UTV as their parent network in NI will have those same rights and they can just relay ITV's coverage.

I think that the amount of money being spent by TV3 on Red Rock and RWC 2015 rules them out of any big deals.

I am guessing it will be BT/Setanta with RTÉ/TV3/UTV taking the FTA rights. UTV as their parent network in NI will have those same rights and they can just relay ITV's coverage.

BT Sport won the next set of rights for the UK exclusively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

And as we all know what usually happens in the UK regarding rights, happens in Ireland too.

BT Sport won the next set of rights for the UK exclusively.

I thought they did a deal with ITV to have a certain number of matches appear on FTA TV via ITV?

I thought they did a deal with ITV to have a certain number of matches appear on FTA TV via ITV?

Pure speculation.

And even if that was the case the deal would be with ITV not UTV Ireland.

They'll be showing some games (including the final) free to air, but have yet to outline how they plan to achieve that. It may be through subletting to a free to air network, making their own channels free to air for the duration of some games, or streaming them on the internet. All depends on what their deal with UEFA allows though.

Pure speculation.

And even if that was the case the deal would be with ITV not UTV Ireland.

I know but UTV maybe interested should BT get the irish rights and if ITV get to sublet the FTA games in UK as UTV Ireland may not be as inclined to provide Irish commentators and panels like RTÉ & TV3.

Would be interesting to see if BT will enter the FTA market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think there was a highlights package agreed, but nothing said about live matches yet.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think there was a highlights package agreed, but nothing said about live matches yet.

The highlights package deal was made with UEFA not with BT Sport.

The situation with live matches is just pure speculation on behalf of newspaper journalists.

ITV would really only be interested in showing attractive ties (ie featuring English teams) and those are exactly the sort of games that BT wouldn't dream of selling on.

Games not featuring English teams (apart from the odd high profile fixture) are getting near zero ratings on Sky.

What happens with the UK fta rights means nothing for the irish rights

I can see RTEtv keeping wednesdays first choice games

Its Tuedays a fight between tv3 and utvi, or bt sport/setanta may bid for the whole lot

sky are out

The situation with live matches is just pure speculation on behalf of newspaper journalists.

ITV would really only be interested in showing attractive ties (ie featuring English teams) and those are exactly the sort of games that BT wouldn't dream of selling on.

There will definitely be free live matches in the UK, it's the how that has yet to be announced. As I say it may not be subletting, it may be through temporarily making the coverage free to view to Sky viewing card holders or online streaming. And they will include each English club at least once as well as the final.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/bt-sport-wins-all-live-uk-tv-rights-to-champions-league-and-europa-league-S11363847946944

There will definitely be free live matches in the UK, it's the how that has yet to be announced. As I say it may not be subletting, it may be through temporarily making the coverage free to view to Sky viewing card holders or online streaming. And they will include each English club at least once as well as the final.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/bt-sport-wins-all-live-uk-tv-rights-to-champions-league-and-europa-league-S11363847946944

Never said that wouldn't be the case; the specific discussion you've quoted is re: ITV.

It is very well documented that BT have agreed to show games free; how that manifests itself is still just speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

The highlights package deal was made with UEFA not with BT Sport.

Games not featuring English teams (apart from the odd high profile fixture) are getting near zero ratings on Sky.

Not a chance of BT Sport subletting any live matches to ITV. The idea just makes absolutely no sense.

some thoughts on other forums that the extra charge will be £4 per month for champions league if you avail of it via a sky box or no charge if you take the BT vision service.
    I wonder what will Setanta charge(if they do get exclusive rights to mirror the BT UK rights).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Even if BT sublet some games to another broadcaster there's nothing to suggest that BT wouldn't show the same games simultaneously.

Not at all.

One possiblity, though I'm not sure UK law permits it, is that BT could buy lock stock and barrel the time on a commercial free to air network to show the games. In other words they'd be aired on ITV, but produced by BT Sport using its own (or Sunset and Vine's) facilities and on air talent and BT would get all the advertising revenue. It's not an arrangement normally seen over here but Sportsnet has a similar arrangement with the CBC in Canada for certain NHL games.

Not at all.

One possiblity, though I'm not sure UK law permits it, is that BT could buy lock stock and barrel the time on a commercial free to air network to show the games. In other words they'd be aired on ITV, but produced by BT Sport using its own (or Sunset and Vine's) facilities and on air talent and BT would get all the advertising revenue. It's not an arrangement normally seen over here but Sportsnet has a similar arrangement with the CBC in Canada for certain NHL games.

I bow to your greater knowledge as would not be aware of such a situation in Canada. Not the same case, the recent Bathurst 1000km motor race was shown SD on Motor's TV who had the rights but had no way to provide HD coverage so they made it available to BT Sport and it was shown on one of their channels.

However I still stand by my previous comment, that it would be absolutely crazy by BT Sport to do any similar arrangement by BT Sport to sublet any games to ITV. Having squeezed them out of the market with their massive bid, it makes no sense to then give them back some prestige games.

BT Sport I am sure have plans in place already as to how they will implement the provisions to provide some matches free. I would further speculate that it is likely that they might have a third branded channel as part of their suite of channels to launch next summer.

So Tuesday 25th November is deadline day. Presumably we'll know who has won in early December.

Interesting. I wonder will tv3 go all out for both nights seeing as they have some spare cash.

Interesting. I wonder will tv3 go all out for both nights seeing as they have some spare cash.

They've probably pumped a lot into Rugby World Cup and Red Rock, so I wouldn't say they are flush with cash. It would help them a lot though if they secured the two nights. I'm sure they aren't bothered about Europa League though - the quality of matches in that league/cup is terrible.

• Advertisement

The thing is that with RTE in a period of retrenchment they won't pay above the odds for a competition that has no Irish involvement (or at least not at the stages at which centralised rights kick in). If they can renew at a reasonable price they will but don't expect them to overbid if faced with someone with deep pockets. Only UEFA's desire to keep some of the matches free to air (which appears to have waned substantially in this particular auction) would save them then.

so if allowed can we make predications as to the outcome and see who gets it right? mine is (purely guesswork of course without any inside knowledge) tv3 tuesday or wednesday. BT full Irish rights both nights and/or Setanta Wednesday and secondary rights on Tuesday. RTE to loose out...

My most likely outcome is status quo.

Second most likely outcome is TV3 to get first pick on one of the nights and either Setanta or BT to pick up all remaining games with RTE withdrawing.

Third scenario is BT picking up all rights. What I would say though is, since their audacious picking up of all UK UEFA club football rights, that BT Sport appears to have fallen slightly out of favour within the group as a whole and their long term commitment to the sports operation seems to be under question the closer to the now only months away Premier League auction gets.

Either way we should have an announcement from UEFA if not within the fortnight, certainly this side of Christmas.

My most likely outcome is status quo.

Second most likely outcome is TV3 to get first pick on one of the nights and either Setanta or BT to pick up all remaining games with RTE withdrawing.

Third scenario is BT picking up all rights. What I would say though is, since their audacious picking up of all UK UEFA club football rights, that BT Sport appears to have fallen slightly out of favour within the group as a whole and their long term commitment to the sports operation seems to be under question the closer to the now only months away Premier League auction gets.

Either way we should have an announcement from UEFA if not within the fortnight, certainly this side of Christmas.

I think Setanta will get 1st pick for a teaser for the Setanta pack and BT sport for the other games in the setanta pack
    I know there is no setanta in HD but overall their champions league coverage is very good
    Their studio presentation is better than TV3/rtetv

It will be really interesting to see where these live matches will be shown from next August onwards.

Neither RTE or TV3 have really expressed anything towards negotiations of the CL (probably due to the press not asking them about it).

Hopefully we'll still see both match nights on free to air tv, and not bundled into a Setanta Sports back. Leaving the way as it is probably suits TV3 and RTE. They can both say they have coverage of the Champions League and they're not overspending their budget to outdo each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cool666

Ok I think Utv Ireland 1st pick Wed Night and Tv3 For Tuesday Night. Why would BT get the rights it has all the uk rights. Setanta your joking me free to air all the way. With Rte to loose out and maybe getting a Highlight pack.

• Advertisement

I think we can rule out UTV - the 2007 Rugby World Cup was the last time they covered live sport in their own right and the only reason they had the rights at all was that ITV had them. Their sports department has been all but dismantled long since.

I think we can rule out UTV - the 2007 Rugby World Cup was the last time they covered live sport in their own right and the only reason they had the rights at all was that ITV had them. Their sports department has been all but dismantled long since.

Interesting to see if they put a bit in even if it is in conjunction with another broadcaster, though I'd rule out TV3 on that front. It would be an absolute killer if UTV got some live rights and TV3 had none. TV3 may look to be exclusive Irish Broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

When should we hear the details? before Christmas?

Took less than two weeks last time round, I'd say late next week or certainly not later than the following week - after that things start winding down for Christmas.

Whatever happens TV3 will not be exclusive Irish broadcasters - even employing both TV3 and 3e on every matchday they'd only be able to show two games a night (with the odd bonus game in Russia I suppose). At the moment even excluding Sky there are three games available during the group stages each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It will be very interesting to see who wins out here - the rights would be potentially very lucrative for RTÉ, TV3, UTVI and especially Setanta/BT if they could take all games away from FTA television... I have a feeling that UEFA will want some games to remain FTA whatever bids have gone in. UTVI are the total dark horses here, more then likely they have no interest but if they secured rights it would be a massive coup for the new channel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement