Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nadroir

Receivers changed locks and moved in yesterday found out

I went up today planning to spend a few bob there..Closed sign on the door...Two very official looking guys with clipboards standing outside.

nadroir wrote: »
    Receivers changed locks and moved in yesterday found out
    Aw, thats a pity. Hate seeing any business closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭bobster453

Aw, thats a pity. Hate seeing any business closing.

True..but it was nothing to do with the receivers.DID were supposed to take it over themselves but the guy running it jumped the gun and closed it wednesday night..afaik DID were going to keep the staff on but not so sure now.Those official looking guys with clipboards work for DID and are there to take details if people have queries about deposits etc.
    Locks were not changed..same locks but DID had no keys and knew nothing about what was going to happen wednesday night

bobster453 wrote: »
    True..but it was nothing to do with the receivers.DID were supposed to take it over themselves but the guy running it jumped the gun and closed it wednesday night..afaik DID were going to keep the staff on but not so sure now.Those official looking guys with clipboards work for DID and are there to take details if people have queries about deposits etc.
    Locks were not changed..same locks but DID had no keys and knew nothing about what was going to happen wednesday night

I wonder why he closed it,if DID were to take over?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭bobster453

Think you just answered your own question there :)

bobster453 wrote: »
    Think you just answered your own question there :)

Reading again..yes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭tiegan

Now that DID is closed where is the best place to buy fridges, tv's etc in Clonmel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

tiegan wrote: »
    Now that DID is closed where is the best place to buy fridges, tv's etc in Clonmel?

I'd imagine there is few place left apart from Sean hacketts and Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I'd go to Sean Hackett for anything like fridges. He's been in business since I was a child and I've always found him really good to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

tinyk68 wrote: »
    I'd go to Sean Hackett for anything like fridges. He's been in business since I was a child and I've always found him really good to deal with.

I'd agree 100%. The last item I purchased there gave trouble and was replaced on the spot without any fuss.

I'm probably getting old but I like that old school personal service touch that exists there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Lots of work going on in Mourdants old place the last couple of days,opening soon I'd say.

tippspur wrote: »
    Lots of work going on in Mourdants old place the last couple of days,opening soon I'd say.

Barlos are going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

What kinda a stroking is being pulled on this one.... knowing the people involved anything is possible, and no doubt a money saving exercise.

When a business is sold to a new owner and the new owner wants to carry on the same business as before, its not uncommon to close for a day or two. That way the staffs new contracts can be drawn up and a full inventory can be carried out. Whether this is the case here, I don't know. But from what I heard the franchise owner takeover is still going ahead, so I would expect to see the place re-open next week.

The other side of it could be that the original owner could have been instructed by the banks to shut the doors as he was not gonna be able to pay wages or something on that lines and that DID can't actually open the shop until the agreed take over date.

On another note, its great to see Barlows expanding into the old Mordaunts place. Id say Georgie boy must really be pissed off seeing them move Nissan back in there..

When a business is sold to a new owner and the new owner wants to carry on the same business as before, its not uncommon to close for a day or two. That way the staffs new contracts can be drawn up and a full inventory can be carried out. Whether this is the case here, I don't know. But from what I heard the franchise owner takeover is still going ahead, so I would expect to see the place re-open next week.

The other side of it could be that the original owner could have been instructed by the banks to shut the doors as he was not gonna be able to pay wages or something on that lines and that DID can't actually open the shop until the agreed take over date.

On another note, its great to see Barlows expanding into the old Mordaunts place. Id say Georgie boy must really be pissed off seeing them move Nissan back in there..

Poor lad might choke on his Humble Shepherds Pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Moanna

Poor lad might choke on his Humble Shepherds Pie!

Anyone know if Abbott are taking on people and what are they like to work for

Moanna wrote: »

It's best contact their HR dept direct. I don't know if they are recruiting at the moment, though. Many people are working there for years, so they can't be that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

If DID are closed where do people stand with their guarantees etc? Can you go to another DID store or is each franchise a stand alone operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 And324

touts wrote: »
    If DID are closed where do people stand with their guarantees etc? Can you go to another DID store or is each franchise a stand alone operation?

I spoke to their head office on Friday as I bought an extended guarantee with an item there last week. They said the guarantee still stands I just have to contact the main customer service number in Dublin if there's any problems with the item I bought. Guy I spoke to told me that the Clonmel franchise had been closed. Didn't say anything about possibility of it re-opening.

• Advertisement

Moanna wrote: »

Have a look at their website, any jobs will be listed on it. Anyone I know up there on my has good things to say about them. I hear that there may be a few vacancies coming soon for a new product they're starting there after Xmas, so keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Have a look at their website, any jobs will be listed on it. Anyone I know up there on my has good things to say about them. I hear that there may be a few vacancies coming soon for a new product they're starting there after Xmas, so keep an eye out.

I must be working for a different company, working there 10 yrs and apart from the fact that they pay well,I don't have anything good to say about them! And I'm not that hard to please. But in this day and age,we are willing to put up with a lot rather than walk out of a job,also the fact that we are non unionized! Somewhat limits your bargaining power!

maryfred wrote: »
    I must be working for a different company, working there 10 yrs and apart from the fact that they pay well,I don't have anything good to say about them! And I'm not that hard to please. But in this day and age,we are willing to put up with a lot rather than walk out of a job,also the fact that we are non unionized! Somewhat limits your bargaining power!

I can only give then impression I got from people I know there. No job will ever suit 100% of the workers. As for not having a Union, well most of the American multinational companies here dont have them, so your not alone on that front.

Can anyone recommend a good Wedding DJ in the Clonmel area, please. Thinkng of just having DJ and no band. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

The one and only billy bop!!!!!

The one and only billy bop!!!!!

Thanks - I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

A little more information on DID in Clonmel - taken from Wed 29th Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/electrical-shop-claims-retail-chain-interfering-in-its-business-1.1979892

A Co Tipperary electrical store has claimed that national retail chain DID Electrical has been trying to interfere with its business since a franchise agreement ended.

Pansea Ltd, which had run an outlet in Clonmel under the DID brand name since October 2011, is seeking High Court orders or undertakings preventing Home Appliances, trading as DID Electrical, from interfering with its business.

Patrick Leonard SC, for Pansea, said the ending of the franchise last week followed a breakdown in negotiations in which DID had proposed buying his client’s business for €1.7 million.

Last Thursday, Mr Leonard said, representatives of DID turned up outside the Clonmel store, closed at that time for rebranding after the franchise arrangement ended, and intercepted business destined for his clients.

This included setting up a laptop on a table outside the premises whereby DID representatives began taking over customers on their way into the store, he added.

Pansea’s solicitors wrote to DID seeking undertakings that this would stop but, despite an exchange of correspondence and an initial undertaking not to interfere, the latest reply yesterday morning from DID was “ambiguous”, Mr Leonard said. As a result, his client sought ex-parte injunctions or undertakings.

Mr Justice Paul Gilligan gave Mr Leonard permission to serve proceedings at short notice on DID.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ahdi

Parks in clonmel? Hill ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Denis Burke park in the old bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ahdi

Thanks will visit..

Advertisement