Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Sorry for not replying sooner. If it's under warranty and getting an error 20 (usually shutter issues/phase switch on shutter faults) then you should bring it back to the shop and leave it in for repair or replacement because a camera that new shouldn't be getting any errors at all and a shutter failure isn't something that can be remedied easily especially if under warranty.

Im sure the present giver will understand that it needed repair if it was faulty and the warranty should cover it (if it wasn't grey market).

All those Canon troubleshooting tips are pretty much useless for most errors and are pretty much the only user available troubleshooting for resetting the camera (not even hard resetting).

It was bought from hong kong but the company have an office in Sydney (so not sure if that is still grey market)and i was in with them yesterday. They said it would be shipped to Hong Kong and they would take a look and either repair or replace. I am pushing for a replace, but what is the situation with having it replaced, is there a defined period of warranty where it will be replaced?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

alfalad wrote: »
    It was bought from hong kong but the company have an office in Sydney (so not sure if that is still grey market)and i was in with them yesterday. They said it would be shipped to Hong Kong and they would take a look and either repair or replace. I am pushing for a replace, but what is the situation with having it replaced, is there a defined period of warranty where it will be replaced?

Thanks for your help.

I would say it is grey market if it came from hong kong (digital rev by any chance?). Basically with grey market there is no warranty from the manufacturer but usually those shops will have a limited warranty and with that they will probably choose the cheapest option for them. you would have to read the small print of their shop/warranty card with your camera and see what the story is. If they did repair it they would probably be replacing the shutter in the camera so after that there shouldn't be any problems but I couldn't blame you for wanting a replacement unlikely event in the event that the camera had two faulty parts in it.

I would say it is grey market if it came from hong kong (digital rev by any chance?). Basically with grey market there is no warranty from the manufacturer but usually those shops will have a limited warranty and with that they will probably choose the cheapest option for them. you would have to read the small print of their shop/warranty card with your camera and see what the story is. If they did repair it they would probably be replacing the shutter in the camera so after that there shouldn't be any problems but I couldn't blame you for wanting a replacement unlikely event in the event that the camera had two faulty parts in it.

Ah assumed the manufactures warranty would still apply. I had a look at the small print and says they will repair or replace but seems to be up to them. To be a fair to the company (DWI Digital Cameras) I bought a lens and they were very good. Tracked courier etc and not real delay in getting the product to me. Good prices too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭aido182

Make - Canon

Item - DSLR

Model - 40D

Fault - BuSY error on top LCD screen

I took my 40D out today at my nieces Christening only to find this message on the top LCD.

I have removed the battery and the CF card, and put them back. It is still the same.

Also, there is nothing appearing on the rear LCD. I cant access any menus, view any photos...anything.

Not sure if this is relevant but I just got home from Belgium with the camera. Any chance the xray machine at the airport could have had an adverse effect?

Any help or tips appreciated.

aido182 wrote: »
    Make - Canon

Item - DSLR

Model - 40D

Fault - BuSY error on top LCD screen

I took my 40D out today at my nieces Christening only to find this message on the top LCD.

I have removed the battery and the CF card, and put them back. It is still the same.

Also, there is nothing appearing on the rear LCD. I cant access any menus, view any photos...anything.

Not sure if this is relevant but I just got home from Belgium with the camera. Any chance the xray machine at the airport could have had an adverse effect?

Any help or tips appreciated.

The X-ray machine should have no effect on the camera but could you check one thing. Is the shutter button spongy when pressed as this would be the rubber membrane on the switch being punctured and this would result in the switch being stuck in a half press and it would exhibit similar if not identical behaviour to what you have mentioned. This is also a common enough fault with the XXD series (although probably wouldn't display busy on the top LCD).

Was the camera stored with any liquid or could the bag have gotten wet when in transit causing even moisture to be present in the bag (damp clothes etc...) as the "busy" error is quite common in the 1000D due to main board failure so moisture could cause just that to happen in a 40D or any other model if the main PCB was damaged in a similar fashion.

Other than trying that I could have a look at it for you as I do repairs if you want to PM me and I can see what I can find out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

then you should bring it back to the shop and leave it in for repair or replacement
    do *not* settle for a repair. demand a replacement; you are entitled to refund, repair or replacement, at your discretion if it has this problem from the first day.

do *not* settle for a repair. demand a replacement; you are entitled to refund, repair or replacement, at your discretion if it has this problem from the first day.

I know that is the case in Ireland but does that apply worldwide or in the case of buying across continents.

Also the small print/shop T&Cs would probably have something in there about returns for faulty goods etc...so that would be a good starting point as then he wouldn't have to go to much trouble if the camera fell under the returnable conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭aido182

The X-ray machine should have no effect on the camera but could you check one thing. Is the shutter button spongy when pressed as this would be the rubber membrane on the switch being punctured and this would result in the switch being stuck in a half press and it would exhibit similar if not identical behaviour to what you have mentioned. This is also a common enough fault with the XXD series (although probably wouldn't display busy on the top LCD).

Was the camera stored with any liquid or could the bag have gotten wet when in transit causing even moisture to be present in the bag (damp clothes etc...) as the "busy" error is quite common in the 1000D due to main board failure so moisture could cause just that to happen in a 40D or any other model if the main PCB was damaged in a similar fashion.

Other than trying that I could have a look at it for you as I do repairs if you want to PM me and I can see what I can find out?

Hi Zerohamster,

Thanks for the reply. I just checked the shutter button. It seems fine. I forgot to mention, the AF works fine. When I half press the button, the camera focuses as normal. the problem only starts after that. When I try to fully depress the button, "BuSY" appears on the top LCD and in the viewfinder.

Thanks for your offer to look at it for me but I will be out of the country for a while.

Adrian

I know that is the case in Ireland but does that apply worldwide or in the case of buying across continents.

Also the small print/shop T&Cs would probably have something in there about returns for faulty goods etc...so that would be a good starting point as then he wouldn't have to go to much trouble if the camera fell under the returnable conditions

Well it has been returned and I fully intend to push for the replacement but given there terms and conditions they may just repair. I should hear back in the next 5 days or so as it's been shipped to hong kong. If they say they will only repair i will ask for a refund and see how that goes down, if they agree then i'll reorder and hope I get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Make - Canon

Item - DSLR

Model - 7D

Fault -needs a clean

I can see dust spots on the mirror/focussing screen (which don't turn up on the sensor), can you clean them?

Thanks,

Fran (see my next post as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Second query!

Make - Sigma

Item - Lens

Model - EX DC HSM 10-20mm 4-5.6

Fault - Odd uniform grainy view through viewfinder

Its an odd one, but thought I'd throw it up here anyway. When I mount this lens and look through the viewfinder (7D), The view looks uniformly "granular". Its kinda like what you used to see on some older film cameras that had a split focus screen. Lens focusses fine etc. Effect is not present when I mount other lenses (although the camera does need a clean!).

Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Make: Canon

Item: Lens

Model: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS

Fault: The manual focus ring feels rough and doesn't rotate smoothly but still works correctly. There is a grinding sound as if there is grit under the focus ring. All lens functions operate as expected.

When/how it happened: Been like this for months can't really say when or how.

The Lens was bought second hand and seemed fine when I inspected it but it was shortly after I had bought it that I noticed the problem. The lens itself auto focuses fine and works perfectly but this is a minor annoyance.

I had a problem with my 60D in that the rubber grip had swollen and started detached itself from the body so I sent it to Image Supply Systems as the Canon Authorised Service Facility for a warranty repair. While I was sending up my camera I said I may as well send in the lens to be examined and for a repair quote. ISS have just emailed me a quote of €144.00 + VAT@13.5% for the lens repair with the quote simply stating "Replace Lens Barrel Assembly".

This seems a bit steep to fix what is a minor annoyance and I was wondering does this seem like a reasonable quote and what alternative options there are to get this fixed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If it is the bottom cases that needs replacing then first remove the four screws you can see holding the foot mount on and very carefully removing the connectors as you take the mount off, what ever you do dont try to yank them as they are pitifully weak and tear easily.

Then you turn the flash head sideways so that it would be facing the roof but rotated so the beam would be infront and behind rather than to each side of you. you should see some more screws (4 screws, 2x on each side) then open the battery lid, press the bounce head lock pin and seperate the cover paying attention to two hooks at the top front.

Today in town I bought myself a decent set of Jewllers Screwdrivers. Armed with these I fixed my Helicopter. Flew that around the house for a bit then moved on to my sick Flash. Most of the functions have been working. Still chuffed with my success with the Helicopter and the information here I thought I'd give it a lash.

Took the 4 screws out of the base and there was a problem. A ribbon cable was not connected. Got some pliers and pushed the cable back. Then reassembled the base. It now all works again. I don't think I would go much deeper into it.

A big thanks to zerohamster for the excellent advise. I owe you a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Make: Pentax

Item: 35mm Compact slr

Model: S1a

Fault: Second shutter curtain is sticking

When/how it happened: Fatigue

7ixmV.jpg
    Seems to be a pretty common problem with this camera, I think I've located the problem, it matches up with some descriptions of how it is fixed. The above spring is too slack, I rang around some of the larger camera shops asking for help. As soon as I mentioned pentax I got force fed the we do not do pentax..uk repair..you're f***ed etc.

One camera repair shop in dame street was recommended but I'm not able to get a hold of them. I'm bringing this in to a jewelers in Dundrum tomorrow to see if he can tighten the spring. If not I'm out of luck. Suggestions on somewhere that can service this and also CLA it?

chisel wrote: »
    Make - Canon

Item - DSLR

Model - 7D

Fault -needs a clean

I can see dust spots on the mirror/focussing screen (which don't turn up on the sensor), can you clean them?

Thanks,

Fran (see my next post as well)

Hey,

sorry for the late reply.

I can indeed clean them if you want to send me a PM?

chisel wrote: »
    Second query!

Make - Sigma

Item - Lens

Model - EX DC HSM 10-20mm 4-5.6

Fault - Odd uniform grainy view through viewfinder

Its an odd one, but thought I'd throw it up here anyway. When I mount this lens and look through the viewfinder (7D), The view looks uniformly "granular". Its kinda like what you used to see on some older film cameras that had a split focus screen. Lens focusses fine etc. Effect is not present when I mount other lenses (although the camera does need a clean!).

Fran

For this one Im thinking the f/4-5.6 aperture value being quite small is making the texture more noticable. On another lens try setting the aperture to f/11 or more and press the DOF preview button whilst looking through the viewfinder. When you do this is that the same effect you refer to? If so then it is probably just because of the small aperture of the lens or worst case scenario the aperture is jammed slightly closed on the lens (ever get underexposure or trouble focusing?)

fran426ft wrote: »

Model: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS

Fault: The manual focus ring feels rough and doesn't rotate smoothly but still works correctly. There is a grinding sound as if there is grit under the focus ring. All lens functions operate as expected.

When/how it happened: Been like this for months can't really say when or how.

The Lens was bought second hand and seemed fine when I inspected it but it was shortly after I had bought it that I noticed the problem. The lens itself auto focuses fine and works perfectly but this is a minor annoyance.

I had a problem with my 60D in that the rubber grip had swollen and started detached itself from the body so I sent it to Image Supply Systems as the Canon Authorised Service Facility for a warranty repair. While I was sending up my camera I said I may as well send in the lens to be examined and for a repair quote. ISS have just emailed me a quote of €144.00 + VAT@13.5% for the lens repair with the quote simply stating "Replace Lens Barrel Assembly".

This seems a bit steep to fix what is a minor annoyance and I was wondering does this seem like a reasonable quote and what alternative options there are to get this fixed?

I can't say for sure what the problem actually could be without seeing it but one thing I know is that ISS despite being the Canon ASF in Ireland actually do no repairs and just send them off to the UK ASF that actually do repairs. What they are qouting you sounds like some sort of minimum repair price to replace whatever parts are needed (which can be beneficial sometimes).

The part they refer to as the lens barrel assembly could mean two different parts of the lens as the name wasn't specific to either part but I'm guessing they are basically replacing the rear plastic outer casing which would be in contact with the focus ring. Judging by the price of the lens the part would cost in between €35-50 so it sounds like an ASF flat rate price at €144 plus VAT if that is all they are doing because that repair is not that heavy on labour.

If you didn't give them the go ahead I would be happy to have a look as the only other alternative to an ASF is to go to a non ASF if you wanted it cheaper really
    (then again it depends on if they charged for looking at it etc...)

Hope that helps.

Make: Pentax

Item: 35mm Compact slr

Model: S1a

Fault: Second shutter curtain is sticking

When/how it happened: Fatigue

Seems to be a pretty common problem with this camera, I think I've located the problem, it matches up with some descriptions of how it is fixed. The above spring is too slack, I rang around some of the larger camera shops asking for help. As soon as I mentioned pentax I got force fed the we do not do pentax..uk repair..you're f***ed etc.

One camera repair shop in dame street was recommended but I'm not able to get a hold of them. I'm bringing this in to a jewelers in Dundrum tomorrow to see if he can tighten the spring. If not I'm out of luck. Suggestions on somewhere that can service this and also CLA it?

Did you get this sorted with the jewellers?

If not Id be happy to have a look and see if I can help although I don't see many Pentax models?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Thanks Zerohamster,

Interesting that ISS don't actually do any repairs. I don't think I'll be proceeding with the ISS repair so I might take you up on your offer yet.

I was searching the web to see what would be involved in the work that would justify the price quoted and trying to figure out how the wole thing goes together when I came across this guide on instructables.com for a 17-55 lens repair.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/RepairAdjustClean-Canon-17-55mm-f28-Dropped-/
    From what I can tell I would only need to go as far as step 5 to get as far as the focus ring and see for myself if it just needs a clean or if there is actually some damage.

I'm pretty sure, having seen this, that it is something I could handle myself as it doesn't look like I'd even need to go as far as any of the lens elements and risk messing up lens calibration. What's do you think? Do you think it's too risky for a novice to tear apart a lens or have you any advise if I was to attempt this myself?

fran426ft wrote: »
    Thanks Zerohamster,

Interesting that ISS don't actually do any repairs. I don't think I'll be proceeding with the ISS repair so I might take you up on your offer yet.

I was searching the web to see what would be involved in the work that would justify the price quoted and trying to figure out how the wole thing goes together when I came across this guide on instructables.com for a 17-55 lens repair.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/RepairAdjustClean-Canon-17-55mm-f28-Dropped-/
    From what I can tell I would only need to go as far as step 5 to get as far as the focus ring and see for myself if it just needs a clean or if there is actually some damage.

I'm pretty sure, having seen this, that it is something I could handle myself as it doesn't look like I'd even need to go as far as any of the lens elements and risk messing up lens calibration. What's do you think? Do you think it's too risky for a novice to tear apart a lens or have you any advise if I was to attempt this myself?

No problem,

I also found it strange that the only ASF in Ireland doesn't actually repair things but Im sure Canon may have decided that there just wasn't enough repairs being generated from Ireland to constitute a full ASF here so they picked a shop and let them generate some money as the "ASF" here.

The part I believe they are going to replace is the outer barrel in step 4 actually as the previous one probably had sand or grit that wore it down making it jerky or that the lubricant dried up or something.

I would say it is something someone could do but being such an expensive lens there are a good few things that could go wrong especially if you weren't use to taking the black plastic cover off the mount (step 2) as you have to be so careful not to tear or rip the lens contacts off the main PCB (€€€ if that needs to be be replaced and calibrated).
    Another thing is that you would want to be confident that you had the right scewdriver heads and size (XPT head has different angles, a flatter tip and fits perfectly snug into the heads) to open the back as those screws are pretty tight and if the head get worn away that's a whole lot of trouble to get out and not cause damage.

If it were a cheap lens I would say there is nothing to lose but at €700-900 the risk seems pretty high compare to what you would save and although it is only a few steps to get to the part off and looks easy you just have to be sure that you have the right equipment, patience and care to not cause damage because the potential damage that can be caused is so much more expensive than what you would save so obviously you have to weigh up the risks yourself. The only other thing I would say is if you can't get the part to replace it then opening it up yourself has only risks but if you can get the part it may be worth doing yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Did you get this sorted with the jewellers?

If not Id be happy to have a look and see if I can help although I don't see many Pentax models?
    No joy, turns out the spring isn't the problem. I made a video showing exactly what is happening. I'm going to run some tec7 through the gears tonight to see if it loosens up the mechanism. If not I intend on gutting and cleaning the entire thing.

Edit: Oil done the trick for now, god only knows how long it will last for though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pchela1980

Make: Nikon

Item: DSLR Body,

Model: D50

Fault: mirror or lenses or matrix is dusty. dust visible on pictures. Does anyone know where can I go with camera for cleaning close to Galway? I dont want to send it for long time. And I dont know also how to do it myself - Im completely manually "gifted" person.
    Cheers
    Alicja

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

pchela1980 wrote: »

Item: DSLR Body,

Model: D50

Fault: mirror or lenses or matrix is dusty. dust visible on pictures. Does anyone know where can I go with camera for cleaning close to Galway? I dont want to send it for long time. And I dont know also how to do it myself - Im completely manually "gifted" person.
    Cheers
    Alicja

If its on the photos then it needs a Sensor Cleaning.

Quite easy to do yourself with the correct kit, which will cost about the same as professional service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hi
    i've received the dreaded Err 01

Model: EF 24 -105mm F4 L

Fault: 5 year old lens, gives Err 01 at any focal length except 24mm.
    When the DOF button is pressed at high F stop it seems like the diaphragm is sticking and the IS making a gritty sound.

I've tried the usual suggested fixes and tried on another body too. Sent off a complaint to Canon but dont expect much from that really.

Just wondering what my options are? at the mo it's a expensive paperweight!! :rolleyes:

thanks

ok
    i got the usual

Dear....,

Thank you for your e-mail and for contacting Canon.

We are sorry to learn that you have experienced a problem with your Canon Lens EF 24-205mm f/4L IS USM.

As we can read from your e-mail you have done all the troubleshooting and the problem still remains, therefore we recommend you to send the lens for repair.

In order to have your product repaired ........

I presume Canon wont take any responsibility for this failure and i'll have to bear the expense to get the lens working again.

I'm wondering what would it cost to get it repaired and is it any use asking the Canon support center for any further assistance.

Fionn wrote: »
    ok
    i got the usual

[COLOR="Gray"]Dear....,

Thank you for your e-mail and for contacting Canon.

We are sorry to learn that you have experienced a problem with your Canon Lens EF 24-205mm f/4L IS USM.

As we can read from your e-mail you have done all the troubleshooting and the problem still remains, therefore we recommend you to send the lens for repair.

In order to have your product repaired ........
    [/COLOR]

I presume Canon wont take any responsibility for this failure and i'll have to bear the expense to get the lens working again.

I'm wondering what would it cost to get it repaired and is it any use asking the Canon support center for any further assistance.

Hey,
    sorry I didn't reply sooner, I got one of these in for repair just after the first post and presumed it was yours (same fault).

It's definitely a diaphragm fault on the lens though. That noise you are hearing is the diaphragm vibrating not the IS thankfully. Id you want to PM me I can give you more details?

Thanks for your reply ZH.

I've sent you a pm

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Make : Canon

Item : DSLR

Model : 450D

Fault : Light leak.

My 450d is leaking light into the pictures a piece of plastic fell out of the shutter a week back it was a small flat piece and I passed no remarks to it at the time.

Anyway I need you guys to recommend someone to repair this and roughly what we are talking as a cost to repair? Its well out of warranty....

Thanks in advance.

Brian

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Make : Canon

Item : DSLR

Model : 450D

Fault : Light leak.

My 450d is leaking light into the pictures a piece of plastic fell out of the shutter a week back it was a small flat piece and I passed no remarks to it at the time.

Anyway I need you guys to recommend someone to repair this and roughly what we are talking as a cost to repair? Its well out of warranty....

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Hi Brian,

It sounds like one of the shutter blades broke off. There are 2 curtains in a shutter (4 blades in total) so it may look intact when not in use but that is because you cannot see the second curtain unless in operation (it travels very fast).

I do repairs myself if you want to give me a PM for details?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kichra

Item: SLR

Model: D40x

Fault: The flash in not working

When/how it happened:

The camera got dropped and now the flash does not work. The flash pops up but the light does not come on and it takes a picture now as if I had the flash turned off, obviously the flash is not turned off.

Is this a big and expensive job to get fixed? I miss my camera :(

Advertisement