Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The OnePlus 2 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Looks good to me. I'm not a fan of the metal banding on the OPO so it's already a big improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep its just a little fluggly compared to the One BUT I still don't mind it at all.
    If we have OIS and laser focus I'm sold!. :P

LIKE its still 1080p screen, no CPU going nuts pushing pixels around and better battery life!

Ah Hell, who am I kidding, I'm getting it even if this is not what it looks like.

Just shut up and take my money Oneplus, guaranteed sale here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

The preview models didn't have OIS, I guess they added it in in a later build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

3am launch?

What a shítty for most of Europe :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

marcbrophy wrote: »
    3am launch?

What a shítty for most of Europe :mad:

Not really most of Europe mostly UK and us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

god's toy wrote: »
    Yep its just a little fluggly compared to the One BUT I still don't mind it at all.
    If we have OIS and laser focus I'm sold!. :P

LIKE its still 1080p screen, no CPU going nuts pushing pixels around and better battery life!

Ah Hell, who am I kidding, I'm getting it even if this is not what it looks like.

Just shut up and take my money Oneplus, guaranteed sale here! :D

It's so ugly. There are a plethora of Chinese phones available at the moment that are cheaper(we'll see), better looking and not really that far off in day to day performance. I'm almost certainly going to sit this one out. It really doesn't seem like much of a upgrade over the original and OIS just isn't enough to tempt me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    The invite system also helps them control demand of the product in the early stages while stocks are low.

As well as pissing off just about everyone.

Not really most of Europe mostly UK and us.

Well, it'll be 4am on the continent!

That's even worse :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well, it'll be 4am on the continent!

That's even worse :pac:

Oh yeah blonde moment. In my head I was thinking they were ahead of us so it will be earlier but it will actually be later.

Oh yeah blonde moment. In my head I was thinking they were ahead of us so it will be earlier but it will actually be later.

Haha, no worries. I'd say there's a lot of potential buyers over there that are pretty pissed at a 4am launch :)

Anyway, I'll catch it all at 8am when I get up for work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

why that physical home button? it ruins the looks. and if its a finger print reader too? jaysus no. i dont want to give everything to the feds easily. im not thrilled enough by the leaks. maybe the other specs might pull it back for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Anyone else watching this right now?

The VR aspect is bizarre.

They mentioned the Snapdragon 810 and a random firefighter made a brief cameo, a nod to the 810's notorious overheating issues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I was watching it on the phone with the 360 camera but I got a text and the app crashed so had to restart it. Seems the stream isnt live and you have to restart the whole thing if you close the app :( Shame they are hiding loads of invite codes in the office that are all used up now i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I was watching it on the phone with the 360 camera but I got a text and the app crashed so had to restart it. Seems the stream isnt live and you have to restart the whole thing if you close the app :( Shame they are hiding loads of invite codes in the office that are all used up now i'd say

The exact same thing happened to me and I was just about to post about it.

App crashed on my Nexus 7 and it booted me back to the start, so much for a "live stream".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

$329 for 16gb
    $389 for 64gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

$329 for 16gb
    $389 for 64gb

Hmm, not bad assuming $=€. But still not enough to tempt me.

$329 for 16gb
    $389 for 64gb

$329 for 16gb
    $389 for 64gb

To me these sound like strange numbers for a release price, but it's likely $ will be equal to € so €389 for a 64GB phone with 4GB ram doesn't sound bad at all.

• Advertisement

Niemoj wrote: »
    To me these sound like strange numbers for a release price, but it's likely $ will be equal to € so €389 for a 64GB phone with 4GB ram doesn't sound bad at all.

€399 for 64GB.

frantic190 wrote: »
    €399 for 64GB.

Yeah I noticed that on the site, €339 for the 16GB.

As usual we should have expected there to have been a euro tax :/

MKBHD has a video up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

No NFC
    No quick charge
    No wireless charging
    USB 2

No thanks

I don't think it offers enough to get me to upgrade from my OPO.
    Screen resolution won't change which is a negative. Battery life won't improve much. No nfc which is a backwards move.

I'm very underwhelmed really. Might stick with the OPO for now and maybe change to the new Galaxy Note in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think it looks great .

I don't use NFC ever.in fact I used it once last week I presume they ran stats on usage for it and it came back poor. That said I can see why people my be miffed when you take away things.

Battery charge time is the only thing that concerns me on this .

Ya, also lack of quick charging and wireless charging is another dissappointment.

EDIT: Just to add some positivity to this, I do like the interchangable back covers. I'd be all over the kevlar one if I had the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ya, also lack of quick charging and wireless charging is another dissappointment.

EDIT: Just to add some positivity to this, I do like the interchangable back covers. I'd be all over the kevlar one if I had the phone.

I think the price is fair enough, bar the Irish Tax. I really like the little switch on the phone for notifications.
    When I got my OPO it cost me €389 approx due to the exchange rate. If I could sell my OPO for €300 I'd prob pick up the OPT as soon as I could get an invite. However splashing out €400 for a slight upgrade(and worse battery performance) is a little bit much.

Kinda shocked at no NFC but I wonder can the NFC and wireless charging be added with new backs?
    They have a market in replacement backs so its not beyond the scope to include it as you can get third party ones for samny phones....

1080p is just fine and less battery killer. Slow charge? Yea first gen product so its all new to them and they're playing it safe I guess.
    Battery life could be better according to mkbhd video but again this is first generation firmware so this could change.
    App op permissions is a huge bonus! Love the dark mode too.

Over all I'm happy with it and will be putting my money where my mouth is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hmmm.. Battery life was the main reason I was buying this phone and it doesn't seem to be as good as it's predecessor.

Did they say when invites will go out and when it actually ships?

Are the batteries removable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Lack of NFC seems to be a glaring oversight tbh. I pretty much never use it myself but it seems to be the way things are going with mobile payments using it as well as tubes and buses in London starting to adopt it. I don't think it'll be too long till we start seeing this used in day to day scenarios. I'd prefer it over the finger print scanner tbh.

That said, I'm pretty impressed by everything else in particular the friendly price tag. I have to praise the choice to stick to a 1080p screen. Personally I think its silly to have anything higher on a tiny 5' screen. Most 40' TV screens until recently have been 1080p and even now you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 4k and HD on a screen under 40'. Seems ridiculous to me to be putting crazy high res screens on pocket sized devices. I'll take the better battery life any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

No NFC and a worse battery is a big thing. I dont see the need to upgrade.

Alhough until they improve their customer service I had decided to avoid anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Won't be going for this. Contactless payment apps will be coming in soon so NFC is a big loss in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

When do people reckon you could have this in your hand? I'm 50/50.

If I could get it by September, I'd toss a coin now, if it will be late October or November, I'll go buy something else or another One now.

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Kinda shocked at no NFC but I wonder can the NFC and wireless charging be added with new backs?
    They have a market in replacement backs so its not beyond the scope to include it as you can get third party ones for samny phones....

1080p is just fine and less battery killer. Slow charge? Yea first gen product so its all new to them and they're playing it safe I guess.
    Battery life could be better according to mkbhd video but again this is first generation firmware so this could change.
    App op permissions is a huge bonus! Love the dark mode too.

Over all I'm happy with it and will be putting my money where my mouth is.
    They said there weren't enough people using NFC on the old model to justify them adding on the new.

However the chipset itself apparently supports NFC so perhaps it's just a matter of getting a third party NFC case for it to work?

I'm clueless here though, purely speculating.

I'm seeing NFC being thrown around a lot.
    I've had this on phones for about 3.5 years now and the only time I used it was to pair a €30 set of Sony headphones from CPW :D

What's the big drawback for users not having it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I've had this on phones for about 3.5 years now and the only time I used it was to pair a €30 set of Sony headphones from CPW :D

I use NFC tags a lot to set profiles on the oneplus one. Find it incredibly handy. Also with the roll out of contactless payments it will become more important IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Yeah I'm a little bit disappointed with what I've seen so far.. Need to watch a proper review video before making a decision..

Although if the leaked specs on the Moto X are legit I may look into that instead!

I use NFC tags a lot to set profiles on the oneplus one. Find it incredibly handy. Also with the roll out of contactless payments it will become more important IMO.

If you have a genuine use for it, then fair enough.

I certainly don't advocate removal of "standard" features when progressing to the next model.

I'm still pissed off about most manufacturers doing away with expandable storage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mobile pay apps will be becoming more and more common, NFC is needed for those.

I'm not too pushed about the Two so far, will wait for some more hands on reviews to come out before deciding. Realistically it's probably a while before I'll be able to get an invite anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

First impressions were great but NFC is a loss and would have hoped for battery life improvement, through capacity or power saving.

On the fence now between getting a OP 2 or cheap second hand OP 1. At around 1,500 on the invite queue but not an early forum member and didn't own a OPO so might be a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

OnePlus' response to the lack of NFC is...

"We heard from a lot of users of the One and saw most of our users weren't using NFC."

Bad call imo, NFC is the sort of tech that needs a critical mass of devices before it becomes widely used.

Just because a lot of users dont use it now, doesnt mean it's not going to be more important in the future, especially with the new Pay options coming on stream in more countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't think anyone in Ireland will be making contactless payments anytime soon tbh.

Niemoj wrote: »
    They said there weren't enough people using NFC on the old model to justify them adding on the new.

However the chipset itself apparently supports NFC so perhaps it's just a matter of getting a third party NFC case for it to work?

I'm clueless here though, purely speculating.

Did anyone see if on the back of the phone (with the back case removed) any pogo pins ? Thats how Sammy does it with wireless charging. Could be used here too if it has them.

beno619 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone in Ireland will be making contactless payments anytime soon tbh.

I made one yesterday pal!

It's called a Visa debit card :pac:

To me it's the whole smart watch thing again.
    Too lazy to take out your phone, use a smart watch.
    Now it's too lazy to take that card out of your wallet, use your phone :p

I am just kidding of course, I'm sure we can all look forward to paying a premium to use our phone for NFC payments, instead of using the fcuking card in our other pocket :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

J o e wrote: »
    OnePlus' response to the lack of NFC is...

"We heard from a lot of users of the One and saw most of our users weren't using NFC."

Bad call imo, NFC is the sort of tech that needs a critical mass of devices before it becomes widely used.

NFC has been in most peoples phones for the last few years and still hasn't been used for anything. I have had it for 3 years anyways and have never used it for anything worthwhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

beno619 wrote: »

There's loads of people making contactless payments already, just not with phones yet but that will be introduced soon.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

NFC has been in most peoples phones for the last few years and still hasn't been used for anything. I have had it for 3 years anyways and have never used it for anything worthwhile

Yea but that's because it hasn't really been widely adopted yet here in Ireland.

People without an NFC phone will not be able to use Android Pay once Google start rolling it out.

Contactless payment is supported in plenty of places, anywhere you can use the nfc debit cards. All that is needed to get that to work on your phone is an app from your payment provider (like VISA / Mastercard).

• Advertisement
Advertisement