Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Thanks to everyone for the apps, some great suggestions there.

I didn't see Yelp mentioned. It's pretty good. It's location based search. just click on restaurants for example and all the ones near you come up, can search for pretty much anything and I was surprised at the number and accuracy of the results (for Ireland!)

SwipeIT is fricken great, soooo much faster for typing ;o)

3G Watchdog for monitoring 3G/data useage (hope it's accurate!).

Daft Machine is completely pointless but strangely good fun, you can play the daft punk song (Better/Faster/Stronger) by pushing buttons!

Tub Thumber for a drum machine app isn't bad either

I find the HTC browser better and more intuitive than Opera Mini.

I can't install Flixter or Babbler, they dont show up in market searches and any links I find don't work either? Do I need a UK sim for these???

Goggle Earth does't seem to work on the Desire yet ;o( (works on the Nexus1)

Numbuzz seems good, i've installed it but not used it much. A single app for Skype/Facebook chat/Gmail chat + others.

Keep the app recommendations coming!!!

Go team!

Ps: If anyone is reading this and thinking of getting the phone, GET IT!! I've had it 24 hours and it's already worth the money I payed for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Can Nimbuzz be used for Facebook chat??

Also, how does one install the HTC browser on a Nexus One?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I have found eBuddy good for chat. Has msn, yahoo, aim, google talk, myspace, icq, facebook, hyves.

No Skype though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

madmoe wrote: »
    Can Nimbuzz be used for Facebook chat??

Also, how does one install the HTC browser on a Nexus One?

Hey, Nimbuzz can be used for Facebook chat (+gMail chat + Skype chat + others). It shows one list of all contacts joined together with an icon next to each contact to show if they're logged into Facebook/gMail etc.

The HTC browser comes on the phone out of the box, it's on the home screen under the clock on my Desire. Find it much more intuitive to use.

Go Team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm using Fring at the moment but I imagine there's better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Gizmodo has just published a new section to their site on Essential Android Apps (some for the US market only)
    http://gizmodo.com/tag/androidappsdirectory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

http://sites.google.com/site/droidlife10/home/google_earth.apk

http://voicesearch.googlecode.com/files/VoiceSearch_2.1.apk

You can download and install from the links, google earth works great, not tried the other yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I can't find SwipeIT anywhere on market place, is it available?
    I came accross slide it but not supposed to be as good.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I can't find SwipeIT anywhere on market place, is it available?
    I came accross slide it but not supposed to be as good.

I am using Shapewriter, give that a whirl, same idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭New.White.Socks

Google Goggles can be brilliant. Haven't tried it with landmarks etc but product searchers work incredibly well!
    MyTasks is a good free organiser/planner app.
    PaperToss is a decent game for passing some time.
    Flashlight comes in handy surprisingly often

Also, Google's Gesture search is good. I would imagine it's similar to SwipeIT or some other ones you've mentioned though (just guessing).

Just been released, very slick browser - http://get.skyfire.com/dl_android.php

Just been released, very slick browser - http://get.skyfire.com/dl_android.php

Just heard about that... Is it worth downloading? I find the reg browser pretty good, and I've got opera as well but that sometimes doesn't render pages properly.

I have it and like it a lot. Very fast and renders very well.

U know a way to set it or say Opera as default browser? Say when u click link from e-mail etc??

There's an app you can get to set opera as your default called opera bridge, but not sure about others.

Figured it out. When you click link form e-mail or Google Talk it asks you which one to choose ;-) U can set Default there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know a good app for taking small notes?

'Notes' is simple and works perfectly well

I've stopped using it in favour of MyTasks though which has a little more functionality if you want to set reminders etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

click plus sign on home, widgets, get more htc widgets, notes (just found that more widgets link myself today)

There are loads of notes widgets on the market too if you'd prefer a widget to regular app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am using Shapewriter, give that a whirl, same idea.

I tried this, really liked it too, but my pinch zoom wouldn't work with it installed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

when downloading some of these apps on my phone the warnings make me worry.... its my first smart phone and if i seen the stuff that some of these access as a warning message on my PC id be very worried !!:eek:

Just a tip for anyone using handcent. If your receiving 2 notifications everytime you get a text you need to turn off notifications in the stock HTC messaging program.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Whats the best weather ap for ireland also whats best stock market ap
    Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The weather channel one gives pretty detailed forecasts.

I use the pre-installed finance app for my stocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    when downloading some of these apps on my phone the warnings make me worry.... its my first smart phone and if i seen the stuff that some of these access as a warning message on my PC id be very worried !!:eek:

I wouldnt worry too much....Most of the warnings are just to let you know, For example:

The weather needs to access the interent to get the forecast and the location info to display weather info for you current location
    Handcent needs to access the user information to get your contacts, your phone to display the messages, and the network to send messages

locale for $10 is pretty nifty, I am crap at changing my settings for wifi, silent ring etc. This lets you set up your profile based on conditions eg.

Wifi on at home, off when not at home.

Silent ring on at work, normal ring elsewhere.

Wifi off at 1am, on at 8am

you get the idea, for me its worth 10 bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Heres a few app's/ widgits im really liking.
    2G-3G on/off
    PapiJump (addicting game)
    Toss it (fun game)
    Video Box (download video's from youtube)
    SMS autoreply

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I cant find copilotlive on the market and flixter whats the story with that
    Thx

Thx

CoPilot is a paid app so you wont find it on the Irish Android market

However it can (ninja:cool:) Acquired...but we're probably not alllowed discuss that here are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭28064212

neacy69 wrote: »
    CoPilot is a paid app so you wont find it on the Irish Android market

However it can (ninja:cool:) Acquired...but we're probably not alllowed discuss that here are we?
    Depends on what way you're talking about. If you're talking about rooting the phone and installing the MarketEnabler app to allow you to access paid apps, or using a UK/US sim and downloading paid apps over WiFi, that's fine, nothing illegal about that.

Any methods which allow you to escape paying for the app, not so much

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Just curious lads, of the people that have the Nexus 1 on here how many have rooted? How has it been since? Is the battery much better etc? I am really thinking about doing it....kinda holding out fro Froyo thought first to see what it will be like!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Just curious lads, of the people that have the Nexus 1 on here how many have rooted? How has it been since? Is the battery much better etc? I am really thinking about doing it....kinda holding out fro Froyo thought first to see what it will be like!

Cheers,
    M

I'm the same, if Froyo brings what it is rumoured to bring I will be happy. As many of the reasons for rooting for me would be removed - namely the trackball notifcations!:p

until then I will hold off on rooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

is it possible to get google earth on a desire or legend?

is it possible to get google earth on a desire or legend?

Yep I have it installed on my desire, in fact I think it may have come pre-installed but maybe I'm thinking of Google Maps?
    Anyway a quick google of 'Google Earth Android' and the very first result is this

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Yep I have it installed on my desire, in fact I think it may have come pre-installed but maybe I'm thinking of Google Maps?
    Anyway a quick google of 'Google Earth Android' and the very first result is this

tried that. just got "THE REQUESTED ITEM COULD NOT BE FOUND"

tried that. just got "THE REQUESTED ITEM COULD NOT BE FOUND"

Strange, I presumed you tried the market as well?
    Anyway you should try one of the links on this thread over at XDA. As somebody mentioned there though why would you want google earth when you can just turn on satellite view in google maps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Sweet Dreams

Free: turns off calls, messages, wi-fi, bluetooth etc at night, turns back on in the morning.

For work:
    Touchdown - $19.99 but better than existing exchange client as it allows me more options to create appointments on the phone, including marking them private.

AutoConference - free/paid - turns speaker on when phone is placed flat.

Auto Task (calendar commander) -free/paid - reads your calendar and mutes/vibrates your phone when it sees keyword like meeting.

locale for $10 is pretty nifty, I am crap at changing my settings for wifi, silent ring etc. This lets you set up your profile based on conditions eg.

I like the idea of Locale but surely having the GPS on all the time drains the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I presumed it would be using Google location services rather than GPS.
    Does anyone know if that works with mobile internet off by using triangulation methods or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

28064212 wrote: »
    Depends on what way you're talking about. If using a UK/US sim and downloading paid apps over WiFi,

Any ideas where we can get our hands on one of these??
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭28064212

boc121 wrote: »
    Cheers.
    Get a friend/relative in the UK to post one over. Or you might be able to get one up north. I don't know any way to get a UK company to sell one to an Irish address

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

I find Transdroid quite useful, its an Android torrent client manager for µTorrent, Transmission, rTorrent, Vuze, Deluge 1.2+ or BitTorrent 6. You can show and manage torrents, add them via URL, RSS feed or integrated search. I use it to hook into Transmission running on my Popcorn Hour at home. I had to install it via a direct link, I think the market version is US only

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

+1 for Locale, I find it excellent. You don't specifically need to use it with GPS, it will work off the cell towers too.

One handy use for this (I found), in order to stop the missus constantly ringing me to see did I make it to work ok (its an hours drive over crappy roads) I setup locale to send an automatic SMS when I arrive in range of the mobile tower closest to the office :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

28064212 wrote: »
    Get a friend/relative in the UK to post one over. Or you might be able to get one up north. I don't know any way to get a UK company to sell one to an Irish address

T mobile in the uk sent me one. I cant remember if I put down a valid northern irish postcode, or just made a postcode up like irl123. There was a post on here on how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Thx

I have used coplit, its ok. I think sygic is better and you can buy it straight of their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

boc121 wrote: »
    Cheers.
    3uk sent me two to my normal Irish address I just put a Belfast postcode. They are free. Took 4/5 days. Can't remember postcode though? I'll search for the one I used.

I used BT1 1AA

I have an app called Data Counter which tells me how much data is being uploaded/downloaded over wi-fi and 3g. Thats fine but does anyone know of an app which tells which services in particular are downloading data? I thought I had everything set to manual download but when I connect to my wireless network it downloads about 20kb, its not a lot but its annoying me that I don't know what is accessing this data?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

This is a link about non-market apps. Might be of interest to some.
    http://pocketnow.com/how-to/how-to-install-non-market-apps-on-your-android-phone

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

hey guys

theres a good few tips and tricks on the vodafone forum. I'v added voice search and voice to text on my desire. only takes two minutes seriously.
    Also has the nexus galley, and the nexus launcher.
    Link
    http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/3446-htc-desire-tips-tricks/

Sorry if this already has been posted I just got very excited about this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

apope8 wrote: »
    hey guys

theres a good few tips and tricks on the vodafone forum. I'v added voice search and voice to text on my desire. only takes two minutes seriously.
    Also has the nexus galley, and the nexus launcher.
    Link
    http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/3446-htc-desire-tips-tricks/

Sorry if this already has been posted I just got very excited about this!!!
    Installing the Nexus launcher on the stock rom made my phone very very unstable and sluggish. If you want it to run like the Nexus One just install cyanogenmod ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement