Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL DRAFT 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

2012: 1.6, and 2.39
    2013: 1st rounder
    2014: 1st rounder

The future looks bright for St Louis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Really don't see the point in this...
    Trade will not change Redskins plans in pursuing Peyton Manning. Intend to talk with and try to sign him, even if considered a longshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dan Synder must have got socked in the head or something, what's the point in mortgaging the next three seasons' worth of top-tier draft picks on RG3 to want to bench him for those three years for Peyton? Yikes.

Well they're not going to get Peyton so it's not really relevant!

Very good point...stupid fecking strength of schedule going in our favour!
    If Colts finished with No. 2 - not No. 1 - pick, maybe could have kept Peyton and gotten same package Rams did. One spot changed everything.

Dunno about that, the Rams would have been trade happy with the #1 pick too and that'd have diluted interest in the #2 pick. And it'd have been very, very dangerous for the Colts to not just draft RG3 in that scenario and forget about trying to get added value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Syferus wrote: »
    Dan Synder must have got socked in the head or something, what's the point in mortgaging the next three seasons' worth of top-tier draft picks on RG3 to want to bench him for those three years for Peyton? Yikes.

If you think that you have found a QB in the draft that can lead your team for ten to 15 years no price is too high for him. Look at what the Giants traded away to get Eli Manning in 04 because they believed he could win them Superbowls. If the 'skins think Griffin can be the kind of player to lead them to success they had to pull the trigger. We've seen time and again that this is a QB driven league and it is impossible to have lasting success with anything less than a world class signal caller

Just out of curiousity has any top two draft choices ever come into the league with more pressure on their shoulders?

Syferus wrote:
    Dunno about that, the Rams would have been trade happy with the #1 pick too and that'd have diluted interest in the #2 pick. And it'd have been very, very dangerous for the Colts to not just draft RG3 in that scenario and forget about trying to get added value.

Yeah, suppose you have a point alright! But say the Rams still made that trade with the Redskins, I'm pretty sure the Browns would have been happy enough to take the #2 off the Colts!
    frostie500 wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity has any top two draft choices ever come into the league with more pressure on their shoulders?

Eh, maybe Leaf and Peyton, but don't think it was as extreme, both were expected to do great things though....one succeeded and one failed miserable!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Eh, maybe Leaf and Peyton, but don't think it was as extreme, both were expected to do great things though....one succeeded and one failed miserable!!

I think Manning and Leaf are comparable in terms of exposure and media interest prior to the draft and the fact that both the Colts and Chargers were looking at them as franchise saviours but on the other hand Manning replaced Jim Harbaugh as the Colts starter and Stan Humphries with the Chargers. Harbaugh was a functional QB by all accounts and Humphries led the Chargers to a Superbowl but its hardly replacing Manning and three first rounders compared to what Luck and Griffin are going to be doing in a couple of weeks time!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I get that alright!

Both didn't give up anything, compared to what the Redskins have done this year! Looking back on Leaf though, it really is a cautionary tale of how the big thing can fail! We really won't know until the season starts and they experience NFL intensity, don't expect either of them to fail(although if Luck does I'll walk to Indy and kill Irsay), but you just never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Well worth it for both teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I now know what the term "king's ransom" means. Washington better make sure they've got the best of the best contract negotiators backstage, because they're not doing anything significant in the draft until 2015.

And for the love of God please give the kid someone better than Santana Moss to be his #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Lot of picks but if he becomes a franchise QB who cares what he cost. I hope the Rams miss on every pick.

Very happy he landed in Washington, the NFC. I think Griffin and Newton will become the next Brady-Manning rivalry.

Can't wait to see RG3 bring his talents to Washington.

RGIII wrote: »
    I think Griffin and Newton will become the next Brady-Manning rivalry.

Completely forgot they'll actually be facing each other this year.

That'll be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Jeff Fisher has some selection of picks over the next few years now:

2012: 3 picks in the top 39 including #6 overall.
    2013: 2 first round picks, both of which are likely to be top 10 picks.
    2014: 2 first round picks.

I feel for the Browns fans in this though. A bold move like the Redskins have pulled off would have created a buzz about that franchise that is sorely lacking. Maybe they like Matt Flynn, or Tannehill or Weedon in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Browns were in for RG3 but wouldn't cough up enough. Don't know what to think now. Thinking our best bet now is to trade down a little and still pick up 2 premier offensive players like Richardson and Wright. Not sure Blackmon will be worth 4th overall. If that happens i'll be happy to give Colt another season under centre.

Not crazy on all this Matt Flynn talk. If Dolphins fail to get Manning and Phibbin doesn't take him there is something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Rams have a big chance of becoming quite the force over the next few years then.

Many say they have the QB, now with 3 top picks in the top 40 this year, and 2 picks that will be likely top 10-15 next year they have a great opportunity.

I think this is a really good deal for them.

Would be hilarious if Manning ended up in say Denver, and Flynn with the Browns. Dolphins then are resigned to drafting Tannehill at #7, only for Seattle to decide they want him and trade with....the Rams at #6 to make sure Miami don't get him. St. Louis then with potentially 3 first round picks next year (probably won't happen, but there's a small chance it could!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm not sure about Bradford though, big year for him. Hopefully they f**k up the next few drafts which they are well capable of.

also hope the redskins do well so the Rams picks aren't top 10 for the next few years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Colts need to go QB and then TE in the draft. Luck loves his TE's he played in a power offence. Grabbing Coby Fleener with their 2nd round pick would be enormous for them, throw in Michael Bush at FA and you could have something going but i guess that won't happen with the cap space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'm going to call it now, with the first pick of the 2013 draft the Cleveland Browns take Matt Barkley. They should try build a good O-line and running game this year and get their team ready for a franchise caliber QB next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Seneca Wallace should be starting instead of McCoy

I like Wallace, he has something to offer

Still they drafted McCoy and persist with him. First pick next year certainly seems the obvious choice.

mikemac1 wrote: »

Still they drafted McCoy and persist with him. First pick next year certainly seems the obvious choice.

I wouldnt be rushing to give the Browns the first next year. The NFL is a league that constantly changes year to year. Last year the majority, including me, all said that the Bengals would be the worst team in the league and instead with a rookie QB they go out and get into the playoffs!

I like McCoy he regressed last year but he has ability

Get McCoy a Richardson and a Floyd and we'll see how good he is, he has the justifiable excuse of being thrust into one of the most institutionally anaemic offensives in the history of the league.

With no RG3 I think the Browns have to take a shot on Richardson at #4, they desperately need a player to excite their fan-base.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Would be hilarious if Manning ended up in say Denver, and Flynn with the Browns. Dolphins then are resigned to drafting Tannehill at #7, only for Seattle to decide they want him and trade with....the Rams at #6 to make sure Miami don't get him. St. Louis then with potentially 3 first round picks next year (probably won't happen, but there's a small chance it could!).

Would be funny but I don't think any free agent wants to go to Cleveland !

I never think Wallace will be the franchise QB. But we'll never know until they get some weapons. If they draft a good WR and sort RB out then we'll know just what McCoy is made of. He was very unlucky with TE injuries last year, I think their 3 TEs could do very well next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I remember seeing McCoy play in college and really liked him. Hes in a bad situation in CLeveland tbh. Seneca has had plenty of chances and hasn't taken them.

Jeremy Blount just ran a 4.25 :eek:

Won't get drafted, probably won't even make a roster but that might get him a look in on a practise squad. Unbelievable speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

Burfict Stock is going to take a complete and utter nose dive disastrous pro day

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/vontaze-burfict-bombs-his-pro-day-too/
    Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict bombed the Combine. His interviews were described as disastrous, and his forty time and jumps were pathetic compared to the rest of the linebackers invited to Indianapolis.
    So Burfict surely prepared and rebounded at his Pro Day, right?
    Wrong.
    According to SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline, Burfict was “not good in position drills,” and Pauline acknowledged that he was “watering that down.” One scout told Pauline he “actually felt bad for [Burfict].”
    Burfict managed only 16 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. With poor measurables and game tape, and suspect on- and off-the-field character, Burfict may struggle to be drafted at all in April.

• Advertisement

burfict was always overhyped had a few big hits but over ran a lot of plays and got swallowed up by blockers very easily reminds me of taylor mays out of usc a few years back big hitter but had a lot of other holes in his game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

frostie500 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be rushing to give the Browns the first next year. The NFL is a league that constantly changes year to year. Last year the majority, including me, all said that the Bengals would be the worst team in the league and instead with a rookie QB they go out and get into the playoffs!

I like McCoy he regressed last year but he has ability

McCoy either shows an unwillingness or an inability to get the ball downfield in all situations particularly in third and long. This isnt a debate , its a fact , this means very long fields , all the time in 3rd and long situations and low scoring , take a field goals offensive approach. Hes great in slants etc and isnt helped by reciever play .

This usually sends a draft pick to the status of back-up. He would have to start converting some distance and picking up yardage. The fact is the Redskins didnt give too much for RGIII...thye gave a lot but not too much

everyone said too much was given for Eli and look at the facts now . The Redskins didnt give too much when you consider the 70% accuracy , 4100 yrds and his running ability and that he is so close to Luck in scouting .

neilster wrote: »
    McCoy either shows an unwillingness or an inability to get the ball downfield in all situations particularly in third and long. This isnt a debate , its a fact , this means very long fields , all the time in 3rd and long situations and low scoring , take a field goals offensive approach. Hes great in slants etc and isnt helped by reciever play .

This usually sends a draft pick to the status of back-up. He would have to start converting some distance and picking up yardage. The fact is the Redskins didnt give too much for RGIII...thye gave a lot but not too much

everyone said too much was given for Eli and look at the facts now . The Redskins didnt give too much when you consider the 70% accuracy , 4100 yrds and his running ability and that he is so close to Luck in scouting .

The problem with McCoy is his receivers drop everything he throws to them, his right side of the OL can't protect and his RBs and TEs are constantly injured. A lot of QBs wouldn't be able to succeed in Cleveland.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The problem with McCoy is his receivers drop everything he throws to them, his right side of the OL can't protect and his RBs and TEs are constantly injured. A lot of QBs wouldn't be able to succeed in Cleveland.

Certainly Jonathan Martn who could fall to them could be good at RT

but check profootballfacts.com on McCoy , the stats are there , he is unwilling to go downfield and thats a killer

Certainly Jonathan Martn who could fall to them could be good at RT

but check profootballfacts.com on McCoy , the stats are there , he is unwilling to go downfield and thats a killer

Go downfield to who? He has no targets and those he does have can't catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Baylor Pro-Day yesterday.

Mike Mayock very impressed with RGIII, all the Colts and Skins coaches/GM's were there. He reckons Colts need to have serious discussion about taking RGIII 1st but believes they will still stick with Andrew Luck.

Kendall Wright ran a 4.45 40 to erase his poor showing in the combine. He believes Wright will be gone for sure now in the top 20 and is back to pressing Michael Floyd to be the No.2 wide receiver take off the board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

WR receiver is interesting, presumably blackmon will go in the first 5 or 6 (maybe to the Rams?) then you have Floyd and Wright, it will be interesting to see who is around in the second round.

There were a lot of quality free agent WR's this year so a lot of teams might have picked up what they need as far as starters are concerned.

I've heard a lot about Stephen Hill but never really saw him play last year, what are peoples opinion on him and do they think he could come in a make a difference to a team straight away?

matthew8 wrote: »
    Go downfield to who? He has no targets and those he does have can't catch it.

All true but it doesnt mean my point is wrong , he is not great going down the field, thats why RGIII was considered for a trade

And the word was that if Hassellback had got cut after Manning had landed in Tennessee, Holmgren was going after him rather than Matt Flynn . He likes Barkley and Hassellback would be the 2012 starter.

If im wrong ...Holmgren picks Blackmon at pick 4 and Kendall Wright at pick 22 or Stephen Hill/ Mohammed Sanu at pick 36 and gives him a dual threat ...something tells me a struggling year followed by Matt Barkley is more likely who will be chosen cos im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Baylor Pro-Day yesterday.

Mike Mayock very impressed with RGIII, all the Colts and Skins coaches/GM's were there. He reckons Colts need to have serious discussion about taking RGIII 1st but believes they will still stick with Andrew Luck.
    I think for most Colts fans, the general acceptance of releasing Manning, was foe Luck. If they draft RG3 and he struggles, while Peyton tears it up in Denver, there'll be issues.
    I think Luck would get an easier ride simply cos he's the guy on the radar for so long.

davyjose wrote: »
    I think for most Colts fans, the general acceptance of releasing Manning, was foe Luck. If they draft RG3 and he struggles, while Peyton tears it up in Denver, there'll be issues.
    I think Luck would get an easier ride simply cos he's the guy on the radar for so long.

Neither would have an easy ride, they'd be replacing the city's favourite son.

RG3 is exceptional, a player with both the athleticism and the intelligence to be an elite QB, but Luck is more fully developed, having already been calling plays and using his eyes as a weapon against defensive players very effectively. He has Peyton Manning-level capacity and better than Arron Rodgers-level athleticism, if he pans out like he very well could he'll be a more complete QB than Manning.

Both are safe bets, and not a Manning/Leaf situation, it's just that Luck is the more thoroughly developed of the two.

• Advertisement

Mike Mayock said the same thing this is not a Manning/Leaf situation. I thought at the time everyone considered Manning/Leaf as "cant miss" prospects. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Ignoring hingsight what were the question marks/knocks on Leaf before he came out?

Mike Mayock said the same thing this is not a Manning/Leaf situation. I thought at the time everyone considered Manning/Leaf as "cant miss" prospects. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Ignoring hingsight what were the question marks/knocks on Leaf before he came out?

There were some small question marks against Leaf before leaving college ...but RGIII intangibles are nearly as strong as Lucks ...military family, parents both officers.....total and utter absence of red flags, they are both great kids generally and i think the Leaf comparison is unfair

College players can cruise in terms of dedication on talent alone, you cant really cruise to become an Olympic level 400 hurdler....its a loner sport where the dedication is big-time . A pro NFL QB is even more so . I see them as both elite prospects

There were some small question marks against Leaf before leaving college ...but RGIII intangibles are nearly as strong as Lucks ...military family, parents both officers.....total and utter absence of red flags, they are both great kids generally and i think the Leaf comparison is unfair

College players can cruise in terms of dedication on talent alone, you cant really cruise to become an Olympic level 400 hurdler....its a loner sport where the dedication is big-time . A pro NFL QB is even more so . I see them as both elite prospects

I agree that RGIII looks to be exceptional, personally I would end up drafting him ahead of Luck, but i'm sure Colts will go with Luck.

I didnt mean that RGIII was Leaf just that from what I understood it seemed to be a very similar situation to what we have now that it didnt matter if you got Manning/Leaf you were set for a decade one way or the other.

Interestingly Leaf won his 1st 2 regular season games for the Chargers. How excited must their fan-base have been at that point in time??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Sorry, I'll clarify. I think the Colts fans in general have already come to terms with releasing Manning for Luck(crazy as that sounds). Which probably gives him more automatic goodwill than if the Colts threw a curveball and aprung for RG3. Both are elite prospects IMO, but personally I want Luck.

Just a heads up, given that there seems to be quite a bit of debate over Brandon Weeden, I'm going to upload the Oklahoma State episode of The Depth Chart later on tonight and will throw it up here. I'd strongly recommend watching, gives a great insight into what Weeden is like and above all else, just a brilliantly made documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Great 50 minutes spent there JMH!

Thanks

In the past 2 days I have seen 2 mock drafts (charlie casserly nfl network, Evan Silva nbc) and both have Luke Kuelchy going 32 overall to the Giants.

Have I missed something here. Kuelchy is borderline top 10 player. I'd be delighted if it happened but can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

In the past 2 days I have seen 2 mock drafts (charlie casserly nfl network, Evan Silva nbc) and both have Luke Kuelchy going 32 overall to the Giants.

Have I missed something here. Kuelchy is borderline top 10 player. I'd be delighted if it happened but can't see it.

Name the teams that are in desperate need of a MLB. Everyone had the Eagles take him but with Ryan going to them it's not a given.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    Name the teams that are in desperate need of a MLB. Everyone had the Eagles take him but with Ryan going to them it's not a given.

Fair enough but the guy cant fall just because teams are happy with their linebackers. Are you telling me there is no team between the Eagles and Giants that wouldnt take Kuelchy.

As I say i'd be over the moon for it to happen but it makes no sense. Cards, Broncos, Jets and Steelers are 4 obvious spots for him. Cant see that many teams passing on a guy who has great game tape and now great measureables to go with it. Ridiculous.

Advertisement