Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

aidanic wrote: »

I have a 60D and would not recommend it unless video is really important for you. The better build quality and weather sealing of a 7D is definitely worth the added price.

The back rubber grip on my 60D completely fell off, and was lost by my dad, exposing a small hole in the casing where I can see a circuit board.

Also, have a look at OneStop-Digital. Based in Hong Kong, really quick delivery (2 days for me every time), low prices, and will refund VAT and import duty if you're charged (I wasn't any time) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i have being using a fuji finepix s 5500 for the last few years, but i want to step up a level to dslr, i have being looking at the Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens, or Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS Lens the only difference i can see is manual focus on the nikon .
    I am going on holidays to australia and i like to take landscape, sunset photos mostly, seldom print photos just keep on computer for momentos but like to get good quality, have been struggling with the fuji in terms of contrast, would camera with bigger sensor be easier to use in high contrast situations , any help or advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

thanks for that link kenny , the nikon seems better at video capture which i am not overly interested in so will look closer at the canon, any opinion on build quality i dont see much mention of it here

Get into a shop and try them, the specs are so close between Canon and Nikon models that your decision could boil down to the position of the the thumb wheel or something...

• Advertisement

thanks kenny, sounds like the way to go, any advice on the best compromise lens, between some indoor shots and landscape and the equivalent of 10x zoom on my fuji s5500

dharn wrote: »
    thanks kenny, sounds like the way to go, any advice on the best compromise lens, between some indoor shots and landscape and the equivalent of 10x zoom on my fuji s5500

A 10x zoom (Nikon 18-200) will cost more than the camera...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

vider12 wrote: »
    No Bridge cameras are the lazy option... they have spic zoom but their sensor's are not to the same standard as that of a DSLR. Plus the functions on a DSLR are epic, inter changeable lenses they are vastly superior to Bridge cameras.. (slight camera snob!) :cool:

I have to disagree - bridge cameras are for those that want to experiment with photography without the cost of expensive lenses and camera bodies.It allows people to learn the relationship between ISO/F-stops/Shutter speeds, it also gives better understanding of composing an image etc. and is light(ish) weight and compact enough to put into a handbag/pocket.

I have a Canon G10 and G11 and find them fantastic little things.

I do my day-to-day work with a 7D, 1D mkII , 5D and 1D mk IV and if I'm stuck a 40D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have to disagree - bridge cameras are for those that want to experiment with photography without the cost of expensive lenses and camera bodies.It allows people to learn the relationship between ISO/F-stops/Shutter speeds, it also gives better understanding of composing an image etc. and is light(ish) weight and compact enough to put into a handbag/pocket.

I have a Canon G10 and G11 and find them fantastic little things.

I do my day-to-day work with a 7D, 1D mkII , 5D and 1D mk IV and if I'm stuck a 40D.

I also have been pondering on this.

I have a 1000d, a kit lens and a niftyfifty. I had a big sigma 70-200 but it was ridiculously heavy and big. Because of this , it stayed at home.

I have been looking at the Nikon p500.here I love taking nice pics of everything, but my lens are cheap and I am starting to think why am I bothering carrying around this big yoke. Im going to take the plunge and buy a bridge.

Simply because it will be at my side with wide angle and zoom with out all the drama.

Why would you choose the canon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

Hi i am looking to get a Digital camera my price range is between €100-200 and want the best i can get for my buck. Any help would be great,
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I also have been pondering on this.

I have a 1000d, a kit lens and a niftyfifty. I had a big sigma 70-200 but it was ridiculously heavy and big. Because of this , it stayed at home..

Have you considered a Micro 4/3 camera like the Panasonic GF3? A lot smaller than the 1000D but capable of higher image quality than a bridge:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#2,167

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Now that I've mastered ambient/available light ( :p ), I want to try off camera flash.

I inherited a difficult to understant Metz which I can use with a Hahnel combi remote control/flash trigger. But afaik I can't control the output of this flash. It's full power or nothing.

Can someone recommend a flash that allows me to dial in a power setting. TTL or Nikon CLS are not a priority so I don't feel the need to spend the money on a Nikon SB unit at the moment. Once I can manually set the power I'm happy.

A quick check of Berminghams website shows Sunpak & Nissin units at much more agreeable prices. But I really don't know what I'd be sacrificing compared to Nikon's own products.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Have you considered a Micro 4/3 camera like the Panasonic GF3? A lot smaller than the 1000D but capable of higher image quality than a bridge:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#2,167

God dam it. Im so torn. I would love a wide angle telephoto walk around lens for my dslr. But they are so dam expensive.

I have spent the hour studying the GF3. Lovely as it is, its not as good as my 1000d with a nice bit of glass.

I would spend 200 on a lens. But 200 does not buy anything really.

Could anyone recommend and link me to a good 35mm or below lens. That's cheap and wide. My 50mm 1.8 canon is great, but I have to walk to far away from my subjects to get a good photo. My crop sensor makes 50mm something different .

Edit....... I just bought a second hand 24mm 2.8 for 150 on ebay. I hope this will zing me back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Has anyone here ever ordered equipment from the Italian Amazon site?
    any feedback on delivery times compared to the uk site or things going missing?

The reason I'm asking is I've had problems with sending things to Italy in the past - things stuck in customs for weeks or arriving opened

I'm buying the 600D with the kit lens, it works out at €624 including delivery and the extra VAT
    which is cheaper than the German, French, Spanish and Uk sites, and over €200 cheaper than anywhere here in Ireland

The price seems to have gone down by £50 on the uk site in the past few days, more than likely as they announced it's replacement yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Soooo...even though I told the folks not to buy the 1100D...they bought it anyway for my birthday. Only thing now is I'm so used to having a Bridge camera with a 4.6mm - 119.6mm lens I need to get a zoom lens for landscape shots. Mostly of sunsets over beaches or trees to backdrops of sunsets. Damn you superzoom!

What would be the least expensive lens that would be closest to my needs. 18mm - 50mm is the lens that came with it. I find it lacking when trying to take shots of boats etc. on water. Granted I've only got it 3 days!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Give yourself more time with the lens you have. Most landscape shots are captured within the range of your existing lens, honestly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

St3ph3n wrote: »
    Hey everyone got a Canon 550D recently, i'm a bit underwhelmed by the performance of the kit lens though! So i've decided to save up for a couple months and invest in a L series lens. Can anyone recommend a L series lens that'll serve as my 'walk around lens'?Also, in the future I plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR so it would be great if the lens in question would be equally good without the 1.6 crop factor!Thanks any help would be appreciated! :)

I'm thinking about getting a 550 at some stage. What "underwhelmed" you about the kit lens?

Damokc wrote: »
    Soooo...even though I told the folks not to buy the 1100D...they bought it anyway for my birthday. Only thing now is I'm so used to having a Bridge camera with a 4.6mm - 119.6mm lens I need to get a zoom lens for landscape shots. Mostly of sunsets over beaches or trees to backdrops of sunsets. Damn you superzoom!

What would be the least expensive lens that would be closest to my needs. 18mm - 50mm is the lens that came with it. I find it lacking when trying to take shots of boats etc. on water. Granted I've only got it 3 days!!:p

Lucky Ba**ard, is the first thought that springs to mind.

Second . Ye may as well start saving every penny you have to buy even cheap lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-250mm-f-3.5-6.3-DC-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Lucky Ba**ard, is the first thought that springs to mind.

Second . Ye may as well start saving every penny you have to buy even cheap lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-250mm-f-3.5-6.3-DC-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

Yep I know the price of lens is high. I do plan to save but would that be the best all rounder, the 18 - 250mm? cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Eugbug wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a 550 at some stage. What "underwhelmed" you about the kit lens?

The 18-55mm IS kit lens is actually very good. Apart from the cheap
    build quality, it is hard to find fault with it. Lenses bundled with the camera
    can be fantastically good value. For example: the price difference
    between a 550D body-only and a 550D kit is only €6 from Simply
    Electronics. From Argos UK, the 18-55mm IS kit is actually £5 cheaper
    than the body-only package.

If you want something slightly better, the Canon 17-55mm IS USM or
    the 15-85mm IS USM are both excellent. Either one will cost more than
    the 550D body.

• Advertisement

Damokc wrote: »
    Yep I know the price of lens is high. I do plan to save but would that be the best all rounder, the 18 - 250mm? cheers.

No expert. Not even close. But it seems to have a great range from wide angle to 250mm. I have seen people on other forums recommend it for all round .

But I also have seen peeps say for all round use, one needs(at least) 2 lenses . One decent wide angle and one decent telephoto.

Anyways. I will be following your replys to this as I also would like advise on a all rounder. And it benefits over the 18-55 IS kit lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cianboy

Hello, I've decided to upgrade my trusty 450d to a 60d. I usually buy from a site in HK and have it delivered to my home in Sydney. The thing is I leave for Ireland in 2 weeks for a 7 week trip home and don't to risk not having my camera come arrive in time!

This means I need to buy the camera from an Irish or UK retailer and have it delivered to my folks gaf in Cork.

I've been out of the country for around 6 years now and was hoping the kind folks on boards could point me in the direction of a decent retailer online or B&M. Happy to buy local when I am home if its not too much more expensive. What kind of price will I be looking at?

Thanks, Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

849 on Amazon.fr (plus postage, which I think was EUR8), not a bad price for a decent retailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

cianboy wrote: »
    Hello, I've decided to upgrade my trusty 450d to a 60d. I usually buy from a site in HK and have it delivered to my home in Sydney.

What route are you taking?

A quick stop over in SE Asia can be a great place to buy a camera. Singapore & HK are probably the best places.

If not you can get it fast in Australia & then get your GST back when you fly out if it's less than 30 days. Have a look at D D Photographics for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cianboy

CabanSail wrote: »
    cianboy wrote: »
    Hello, I've decided to upgrade my trusty 450d to a 60d. I usually buy from a site in HK and have it delivered to my home in Sydney.

What route are you taking?

A quick stop over in SE Asia can be a great place to buy a camera. Singapore & HK are probably the best places.

If not you can get it fast in Australia & then get your GST back when you fly out if it's less than 30 days. Have a look at D D Photographics for prices.
    Had forgotten about the GST, great idea will check out D D photographics!

Cheers cian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I've recently gotten a Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 and 55-210 E mount lenses - fantastic bit of kit and the tri-dial control system is perfect for someone like me just getting into using manual exposures for the first time, delighted with the results already.

I'll be doing a fair bit of travel next month and seeing plenty of wildlife in the Galapagos islands. I'm wondering if I need to get a tripod to get the best pics (would also help for self-portraits of me and the other half) and what one to get.

Lightness is very important as my luggage allowance will already be stretched. It doesn't need to hold a very heavy weight as the NEX 7 and the lense are relatively light. I'd be prepared to pay around 200eur, maybe a little more, to get a tripod (with head) that's really light and does the job in terms of stability (i.e. lightness higher priority than stability), but there's so many options of tripod stands and heads out there that I'm a bit overwhelmed and can't figure out the best one to go for so would appreciate any advise.

Would this one from Jessops be a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi all,

I'm weighing up the options of purchasing an L series lens, which is the better overall option between these two.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    or
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM

I'm wondering which would be better for sports and capturing moving subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm weighing up the options of purchasing an L series lens, which is the better overall option between these two.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    or
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM

I'm wondering which would be better for sports and capturing moving subjects.

f/4 version is lighter (760g) than f/2.8 (1310g). I'd go for 2.8 if you have the funds as it'll give you nice images and faster shutter speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

sebphoto wrote: »
    f/4 version is lighter (760g) than f/2.8 (1310g). I'd go for 2.8 if you have the funds as it'll give you nice images and faster shutter speed.

How about the image stabilisation on the f/4, would that be more desireable than the non stabilised f/2.8?

They are close enough in price.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-2-8L-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00006I53W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339676262&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+70-200

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-Lens-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000I1X3W8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1339676262&sr=8-5&keywords=canon+70-200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Neilw wrote: »

IS in mode 2 would be good for panning, but for action/sports it won't help you as i think you will use high shutter speed. Also as far as i'm aware is will make your images more smooth and imho razor sharp sport images are most wanted :)

Advertisement