Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fryup wrote: »
    record it with your phone..and then upload the sound file onto this free website

so we can all hear

It's here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110019009&postcount=1730

Song Thrush.

Most of the old reliables are in full swing here. Swallows, grasshopper warblers, house martins, chiffchaff etc. No cuckoo as yet but early days yet.

A woodpecker has been drumming in the woods, just 400 metres from the house, and is a real tick for this area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was browsing twitter and was pleasantly surprised to see that feargal sharkey (yes, he of the undertones fame) appears to be rather enthused about water quality and water pollution in streams and rivers (from the perspective of being a fly fisherman).

https://twitter.com/Feargal_Sharkey

Is today the dance of the mayfly?

A load of mayfly looking insects appear to be swarming in my garden

Picture or description? Mayfly is a very generic and often missed term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Any pics? Also, are you beside a river or lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Picture or description? Mayfly is a very generic and often missed term.

could they by St. Mark's flies?

17180593560_042edfb0f4_b.jpg

Pic is not mine all copyright is Dave F Barker

St Mark's flies have been around since the third week in April, if that's what the OP has.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Any pics? Also, are you beside a river or lake?

Phone is broken so can't take a pic unfortunately. I am a couple of minutes from a river.

They're probably just St. Mark's flies though as ye have said, not sure these ones are long enough to be Mayflies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

First of the fledgling sparrows were out and about the garden today. I suspect the starlings will follow soon can hear them in the nearby roofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

How I envy you those sparrows! I've had a life long 'Thing' for them, and starlings.

Now? I'm arguably the greatest 'cultivator' of starlings in all of Ireland. (I'd absolutely Love to hear from anyone who may be 'producing' more! What notes we could exchange! :))

But, sparrows? Seriously; They're pretty much approaching the 'Rare Bird' level, round here. I get marginally more excited at the sight of a male hen harrier.

Oh and, yes; Starlings will be out any day now! :D

Sparrows in my area have declined massively the past couple of years, I use to have 20-30 during the winter using the garden, this past winter no more than 10, and now I have 4-5 adults and 2 fledglings yesterday. Starlings seem to be doing ok even though alot of the trees they used for roosting have been cut down.

Bsal; What in hell is going on, eh? I've discussed starlings with Feare. Sparrows with Summers - Smith.

The other day, I saw a report saying sparrows were doing well, north of the border. Can't remember the details. Bit distracted with other stuff, just now.

But, yeah, 'rhetorically'; What in hell's going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bsal wrote: »
    Sparrows in my area have declined massively the past couple of years, I use to have 20-30 during the winter using the garden, this past winter no more than 10, and now I have 4-5 adults and 2 fledglings yesterday. Starlings seem to be doing ok even though alot of the trees they used for roosting have been cut down.

I have sparrows here same as last year and nesting in the same place

Both House Sparrow and Starlings doing well in this area. At least 11 Sparrow nests in the roof tiles here and very active at the moment. Modern house building techniques have played havoc with potential nesting sites but Sparrow terraces are a great alternative - if only more people would put them up.

House+Sparrow+Community+Colony+Nest+boxes.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

Both House Sparrow and Starlings doing well in this area. At least 11 Sparrow nests in the roof tiles here and very active at the moment. Modern house building techniques have played havoc with potential meeting sites but Sparrow terraces are a great alternative - if only more people would put them up.
    How do you find them terrace boxes Kayla Moldy Supernova? I had one up for a few years and they used it a couple of times, only one apartment was used at a time do. I've double apartment ones up and again just one side been used. Also had them nest in Tit boxes near the farm yard. I think I might change the double apartment ones and put up more Tit like boxes around the farmyard for next year.

Pie Man wrote: »
    How do you find them terrace boxes Srameen? I had one up for a few years and they used it a couple of times, only one apartment was used at a time do. I've double apartment ones up and again just one side been used. Also had them nest in Tit boxes near the farm yard. I think I might change the double apartment ones and put up more Tit like boxes around the farmyard for next year.

Where the options are limited, the terraces are great. But, sparrows will go for more traditional sites first.

Spent an hour and a half today trying to catch sight of a woodpecker that has been drumming near the house for a few weeks. No joy, but plenty of evidence of his activity on the trees. Great to have one about (County Louth).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Spent an hour and a half today trying to catch sight of a woodpecker that has been drumming near the house for a few weeks. No joy, but plenty of evidence of his activity on the trees. Great to have one about (County Louth).

There definitely spreading up and down eastern county's great to see

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This makes so much sense.

k5hl23i9ew.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Saw a bull finch in my garden this morning in Leixlip.
    Lovely colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Both House Sparrow and Starlings doing well in this area. At least 11 Sparrow nests in the roof tiles here and very active at the moment. Modern house building techniques have played havoc with potential nesting sites but Sparrow terraces are a great alternative - if only more people would put them up.

House+Sparrow+Community+Colony+Nest+boxes.JPG

I put up a 5 hole terrace. Just have 1 pair of blue tits nesting in it!

Saw him this morning, and I didn't have to leave the house as he came to me. :)

First Starling baby in the garden just now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we had a starling fledgling being attacked by magpies in the back garden the other day, i heard the kerfuffle outside but let them be.
    checked a minute or two later and the magpies had disappeared, so i went out to check on the fledgling; looks like it was playing possum, it flew in under the acer when i tried to pick it up.

First Starling baby in the garden just now :)

Monday evening, I had the first egg of the Second clutch in my Fuel Bunker Nest Box :)

Funny thing is; Put a gun to my head and I'd have to admit: I haven't actually noticed a single gray starling, around here. Despite knowing full well some sixty will have fledged recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Damn neighbours cat killed a woodpigeon in the garden yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Saw him this morning, and I didn't have to leave the house as he came to me. :)

Hi Kayla Moldy Supernova, what sort of trees are in the vicinity of your home place? I understand they prefer oak but am interested what sort of habitat they are frequenting (I live beside two hectares of Scots Pine and harbour a fantasy that one day they might be heard! I know it is unlikely.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Hi Srameen, what sort of trees are in the vicinity of your home place? I understand they prefer oak but am interested what sort of habitat they are frequenting (I live beside two hectares of Scots Pine and harbour a fantasy that one day they might be heard! I know it is unlikely.

Very mixed. Beech, Oak, Lime, Sycamore. Old remnants of fallen beech are the primary spot for his activity as the stumps (up to 20ft tall) are riddled with insects.

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    Monday evening, I had the first egg of the Second clutch in my Fuel Bunker Nest Box :)

Funny thing is; Put a gun to my head and I'd have to admit: I haven't actually noticed a single gray starling, around here. Despite knowing full well some sixty will have fledged recently.

Juveniles disperse, after becoming independent, and roam woodlands, parkland and the countryside in large clocks. They never hang around the nest sites.

Advertisement