Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Of The Week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just a little tip more than anything, I'm a total novice when it comes to actually picking wines, ya know its pot luck, but I recently picked up a book on cab-sauv and to my amazement have started to pick really good wines, cant believe it.. anyways my tip is that when looking for a nice wine from chile, pick one from the CENTRAL VALLE as they all seem yummy, on my third different one from region and yup its good...7.99 dunnes MONTGRAS .

All you pro's know the deal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just a little tip more than anything, I'm a total novice when it comes to actually picking wines, ya know its pot luck, but I recently picked up a book on cab-sauv and to my amazement have started to pick really good wines, cant believe it.. anyways my tip is that when looking for a nice wine from chile, pick one from the CENTRAL VALLE as they all seem yummy, on my third different one from region and yup its good...7.99 dunnes MONTGRAS .

All you pro's know the deal.

Personally I don't think its pot-luck at all. We have actually started to stock nice wine in this country- a few years ago if you went to buy a bottle of wine you were typically looking at a fiver bottle of plonk. People don't appreciate that if they invest just a little bit more that the quality they are buying increases exponentially.

A few examples of really nice wine out there this weekend- Superquinn are giving away a very drinkable bottle of Prosecco (commonly known as Italian Champagne) with every 60 Euro of shopping until Sunday. Tesco have a very drinkable Chablis at 9.99 in their Premium Range (with 30% back in additional club-card points). Even my local is getting into the act, with a box of 2 bottles of Beaujolais Noveau (excuse my spelling) for 25 Euro.

Personally I cannot stand the bog standard Cabarnet Sauvignon from Chile (or indeed California either), it'll never beat a decent Chablis- which we can now readily get even in Tesco......

Everyone to themselves......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I want to get a few different sparkling wines as gifts for a few friends. Want to spend around €20. Love some suggestions.

el dude wrote:
    I want to get a few different sparkling wines as gifts for a few friends. Want to spend around €20. Love some suggestions.

Proseco is about a tenner a bottle and quite drinkable. Its more fruity than Cava and not nearly as dry- its really good ice cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

Cosmopolitan
    1 1/2oz. Vodka
    1/2 oz. Cointreau or Triple Sec
    3/4 oz. Cranberry Juice
    1/4 oz. Lime Juice

Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
    Strain into a cockail glass, and Garnish with a lime squeeze.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

One of my fav's Theatrebuff. I ball some Galia Melon and add one or two of them to the glass.

Oh, always triple sec for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

Have you ever tried using pomegranate juice fresh or packaged instead of cranberry?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No, but I will. Sounds like it could improve it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The best sparkling wine around is definitely Green Point NV, a terrific sparkler from Victoria in Oz. Its owned by Moet Hennessy group, who know a thing or two about sparkling wines. Its majority Pinot Noir, minority Chardonnay blend gives it a soft peachy fruitiness, while its yeast flavour is very subtle, something i like about it. In other words, it doesn't taste of fresh baked bread, like so many other sparkling wines! You can get it for around €23, more pricey than your average sparkler, but definitely worth it.

grenache wrote: »
    The best sparkling wine around is definitely Green Point NV, a terrific sparkler from Victoria in Oz. Its owned by Moet Hennessy group, who know a thing or two about sparkling wines. Its majority Pinot Noir, minority Chardonnay blend gives it a soft peachy fruitiness, while its yeast flavour is very subtle, something i like about it. In other words, it doesn't taste of fresh baked bread, like so many other sparkling wines! You can get it for around €23, more pricey than your average sparkler, but definitely worth it.

I'd nominate Prosecco Chiara- its 9.99 a bottle, and good luck to anyone trying to tell it apart from Veuve Cliquot.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

el dude wrote: »

Marks and spencers do a good selection of sparkling wines and cheap champagnes.

There prosecco is very good.....

Quality wrote:
    Marks and spencers do a good selection of sparkling wines and cheap champagnes.

There prosecco is very good.....

Personally I think its rather dry. O'Briens now have Ciara for about 12 Euro- hard to beat....

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Cointreau (ORANGE Liquir)
    Baileys
    Créme de mente

done right you have a drinkable irish flag
    drink enough of it and you'll be fluent in Bulls*** :D

Shudder......
    You have to drink it immediately or else the Baileys curdles......
    Its also incredibly sweet- not to everyone's taste......

Ps- the shudder is a result of memories of drinking 2 litres of Cointreau in 2 litres of orange juice about 10 years ago....... shudder.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I'd say it would be a shot rather than a long glass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This thing still working?

I'd like to put forward Jack Daniels single barrel for nomination. I found it in a pub I rarely frequented (but do so more now :pac:) for the ripe old sum of €5.60.

Y'know the way regular JD is pretty harsh, and not exactly the sort of thing you might drink neat for preference? Single barrel doesn't have that. It's a really nice smooth drink, a touch sweeter than most whiskies I've had (apart from Southern Comfort). It smells great, it looks great, and it tasted good enough to shut me up for half an hour while I just sat and enjoyed my drink. Made of win. And maybe some awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sarky wrote: »
    Single barrel doesn't have that. It's a really nice smooth drink, a touch sweeter than most whiskies I've had (apart from Southern Comfort).

Southern Comfort isn't whiskey.
    It's a whiskey based liqueur - like Drambuie or Irish Mist.

Sorry if that seem pedantic but for years that "Southern Comfort is my favourite whiskey" thing has bugged me.
    Just wanted to set the record straight.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

smccarrick wrote: »

Personally I cannot stand the bog standard Cabarnet Sauvignon from Chile (or indeed California either), it'll never beat a decent Chablis- which we can now readily get even in Tesco......

Everyone to themselves......

While I'm on my pedantic horse..........

I don't think Chilean or Californian Cabernet Sauvignion would be competing with Chablis considering Cab Sauv produces red wine and the Chablis area produces only white wine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Tequila sunsrise for me.

3 shots of tequila, Fresh orange juice, ice, grenadine. throw it all in a mixer and taste the sunshine. refreshing and gets u light headed, quickly.

Also for beer..... LEFFE is the greates beer available in Ireland. savage honey after taste and its strong. a bit expensive compared to other drinks in the off licence but still well worth it. €7.99 for 4 bottles. 6.7% i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Tried a Lithanian beer called Svyturys Ekstra last night. Really tasty crisp sweet beer, the kind you could drink all night. I happily obliged.

And since the pub bought directly off the brewery it was €3.50 a pint, but that's neither here nor there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Sarky wrote: »
    Tried a Lithanian beer called Svyturys Ekstra last night. Really tasty crisp sweet beer, the kind you could drink all night. I happily obliged.

And since the pub bought directly off the brewery it was €3.50 a pint, but that's neither here nor there.

Thats good tack alright, they have another one thats as common as the Ekstra thats also as good but the name of it escapes me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

The Amaretto Kiss

1.5 shots amaretto
    0.5 shots sugar syrup
    0.5 shots lemon juice
    25 ml passion fruit pureé

Shaken and strained into a highball and topped off with bitter lemon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Ok ive invented this one myself... Gets you drunk VERY quickly so be careful. I didnt realise and ended up in a heap!

Shot of vodka
    Shot of Bombay Sapphire
    Top up half with west coast cooler and the other half with 7UP. Oh and put a wee bit of sugar in at the beginning.
    And lots of Ice ofcourse!!!

****ing gorgeous and gets ya hammered!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Don't know what the deal is with this but anyone who can get there hands on Rodenbach Grand Cru should do so - a great beer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Never had it before but it sound nice. Watching the Super Bowl and saw an advert for Budweiser American Ale. Just wondering did anybody ever have it before? Strong at 5.3%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_american_ale

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

if you want a watered/shat down version of sam adams go for it, other wise, brooklyn ale, anchor steam, goose island, sam adams, sierra nevada are all infinitaly superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Its Budweiser attempt at the craft beer market

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

I'd like to nominate something I've found recently ,

Warka Strong , Polish beer . Tasty , 7%

If anyone else has drank it let me know if you agree or not , I think this is a nice flavoursome beer , beer as beer should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Don't know if it is been mentioned before but a number of Dublin City Centre pubs are involved in a WHiskey of the month promotion. It is not run on a calender month basis but this periods WHiskey is Locke's 8 yo.

Well worth trying and seeing if you like the whiskey as they are at reducted prices (Sub 4Euro)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Love a drop of Becherovka... got hooked on it in Prague but havn't found anyone selling it in Dublin -any suggestions? A few bars do have bottles but only for display and don't actually sell it:confused:

Advertisement