Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Revenue Shenanigans from Mick Wallace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

He can dress it up any way he likes, but it was still wrong.

He had plenty of assets at the time including his Italian getaway.

Why not sell those and plough the money into the company instead and keep it afloat that way and pay off the VAT at the time?

I have the height of sympathy for builders and tradesmen who are litterly on the breadline and don't have Italian getaways and pet projects like Wexford Youths and all that sh*te.

I've no time for Mick Wallace who lived the high life and like all the other developers based on a bubble which he was partly to blame for.

If he made an effort to sell his assets and hand the money to Revenue, fair enough. He made no such effort, instead he hid behind bankrupcy and insolvency laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

cast_iron wrote: »
    But he didn't swindle it really though, did he?
    I mean, his company didn't actually have the €1.4m to start with due to trading difficulties.
    Yes, he didn't declare it, that's not to say he had it but just didn't bother paying it.

Actually, not paying (or being able to pay) is not the offence. Knowingly filing the incorrect return, is, which he's already admitted to the press.

The offence is under the Taxes Consolidation Act s1078 for which the maximum jail terms are 12 months for a summary conviction and 5 years on indictment (or, in the alternative fines of €5,000 for a summary conviction or €126,970 on indictment).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I mean, his company didn't actually have the €1.4m to start with due to trading difficulties.
    Yes, he didn't declare it, that's not to say he had it but just didn't bother paying it.

what are you on about, he collected the VAT from his customers and failed to pass it on to the revenue ... whatever the mechanics of it is .. that is the reality.

If his business was failing to the extent that he had to make a fraudulent declaration of VAT to the tune of a million quid .. he should have stopped trading at that stage ... the business wasn't viable ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Actually, not paying (or being able to pay) is not the offence. Knowingly filing the incorrect return, is, which he's already admitted to the press.
    Oh, I know that. What I'm saying is that whether he filled his returns in correctly or not, the revenue wasn't getting its money.
    whippet wrote: »
    what are you on about, he collected the VAT from his customers and failed to pass it on to the revenue ... whatever the mechanics of it is .. that is the reality.
    Business doesn't work quite to black and white in reality.
    If his business was failing to the extent that he had to make a fraudulent declaration of VAT to the tune of a million quid .. he should have stopped trading at that stage ... the business wasn't viable ...
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Business doesn't work quite to black and white in reality.

i'm aware of that, but the fact is that the money collected in VAT from his customers was never his .. that is why it is such a serious offense and should be treated as was the Garlic man and the other lad in Limerick who was dickeying up invoices for the VAT man too ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

woodoo wrote: »
    What do politicians have to do for something to be a resigning issue in this country.

It's not about resigning, which is a cop out, get to keep all the benefits etc. He should be sacked with no entitlements. Any issues that ever arise the worst that seems to happen to a TD etc is resigning with all the perks and that it. It's not a punishment in the slightest and it's an affront to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

It's hard to take someone like Wallace seriously when he talks about government cutbacks.

Mick, when people don't pay their taxes in full, cutbacks are inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I thought Vincent Browne was an absolute disgrace tonight the way he completely sidestepped dealing with his buddy mick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Vinny B seems to Wallaces best friend. He couldn't stand any criticism of Wallace on his show tonight.

Also Wallace has been on his show a bit too frequently in the past without ever being put through the ringer like every government party member is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mick has no credibility after this. He might as well resign, everything he's quoted as saying for the rest of his time in the Dail is going to be qualified with "tax cheat Mick Wallace", etc. There's just no point in him being there anymore, only that he needs a job.

And that statement released by his lefty Dail colleagues shows that for all their bluster and outrage at the cronyism and lack of integrity of the major parties, they're the exact same! They'll protect their own, and look after their pals. If they had any integrity or took their positions seriously, they'd say "f*ck personal relationships, I'm elected for a reason", and they'd lambaste Mick Wallace as strongly as they would a government politican.

Have any independents come out strongly against him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Motorist wrote: »
    Vinny B seems to Wallaces best friend. He couldn't stand any criticism of Wallace on his show tonight.

Also Wallace has been on his show a bit too frequently in the past without ever being put through the ringer like every government party member is.

Saw that, embarrassing from VB. And he was on George Hook's show earlier saying the same thing, just deflecting it and talking about Fine Gael!

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/thursday/2/popup

From 26 mins (worth a listen, George doesn't like it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

What do politicians have to do for something to be a resigning issue in this country. Can you imagine if Wallace was a British MP. It would be a major major scandal and he would be gone in disgrace. Then prosecuted.

Here there will be a furore for a few days, a few disparaging pieces in the Sunday papers and then it will be all swept under the carpet. We will all move on and Mick will still be a TD collecting his salary while the taxpayer sees to his debts.

A sea change is needed in this country.

Will he still be entitled to a pension if he's forced to resign?

plasmaguy wrote: »
    It's hard to take someone like Wallace seriously when he talks about government cutbacks.

Mick, when people don't pay their taxes in full, cutbacks are inevitable.

As long as we continue to waste billions on banks that cannot / will not function in a proper manner, cutbacks are even more inevitable.

Wallace is wrong, but there's a whole lot of things that are wrong in our precious little republic.

The facts stand for themselves, the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.

REPUBLIC MY ARSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

vicwatson wrote: »
    None of the politicians work for Wexford, they bring in SFA investment and jobs to Wexford, they all just talk a good show. They are all and always have been a disaster for Wexford.
    ...never did a tap for Wexford...
    ...what's he dones for Wexford...
    ...provide valid examples of what Wexford politicians have brought to Wexford...
    Sweet. Parochial. Jesus.

They’re not supposed to be working for Wexford. They’re supposed to be working for the country.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Lowry has not admitted to or has been found guilty of anything...
    Yes, he was. The McCracken Tribunal concluded that Lowry was guilty of tax evasion, forcing him to resign from Fine Gael. The Moriarty Tribunal found that Lowry, in his capacity as Minister for Communications, assisted Denis O’Brien’s Esat Digiphone in acquiring a mobile phone licence.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    We're the laughing stock of europe! The 'thick paddies'.
    People are aware of what’s happening in Greece, right?

What do politicians have to do for something to be a resigning issue in this country. Can you imagine if Wallace was a British MP. It would be a major major scandal and he would be gone in disgrace.
    Because he would be hounded out of his job by the tabloid press. I really wish people would stop using UK politics as some sort of barometer of virtue.

djpbarry wrote: »
    People are aware of what’s happening in Greece, right?

No doubt, but if there was due diligence, Greece wouldn't have been allowed to join in the first place.

I'm concerned for my country and how we are doing everything asked of us and are getting very few concessions in return.

A bit of fairness, a bit of hope could do wonders!

As long as we continue to waste billions on banks that cannot / will not function in a proper manner, cutbacks are even more inevitable.

Wallace is wrong, but...
    ...the banks. Look, the banks. Remember, the banks. Banks! BANKS! THE ****ING BANKS!!!

Wallace's actions were wrong. Full stop. No buts. Please, no buts.

djpbarry wrote: »

Wallace's actions were wrong. Full stop. No buts. Please, no buts.

I concur.

He's just an example of everything that's wrong in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Dickerty wrote: »
    How is defrauding the state of over €1M worth it to save 60 jobs? What you really mean is, it was more important to look after your friends than to obey the law?

Hell in a handbasket...

Usually the opinions on this forum are indicative of the way the electorate is NOT thinking.
    I briefly checked out breakingnews.ie, typically a good indicator of the way the the general public seem to perceive a given issue, and was surprised to see that the opinions on this board and that one, have aligned. That's actually fairly unusual...

Honestly, I would have expected a lot of people are going to see this as:
    "Mick lied to those b@stards to try save 60 jobs - fair play Mick".
    I've heard a number of "cute hoor" comments on the topic today.
    I guess it depends on wheter he can get the PR machine into action now.

Well, on the bright side for Mick, at least he has rebutted those who said he wasn't fit to be a TD:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

Wallace is wrong, but there's a whole lot of things that are wrong in our precious little republic.

The facts stand for themselves, the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.

REPUBLIC MY ARSE!

Are you right about that gerryo? Surely many/most of the rich (MW etc) are getting poorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

Wallace is a gent who would give you the pink shirt off his back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

So has he resigned from Dail yet? If not, why not? He is unfit for office and the only reason his tirade against the banks he unaffordably borrowed from took place, was because he was in the poop.
    Go home to the deluded voters who elected you, Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He should resign,We don't need another corrupt TD in the call, let him show some real balls and example and give up his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

His company had money

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-wallace-doubled-pay-as-his-firm-was-going-down-drain-3132379.html

He just chose to use it to line his own pockets as the ship was sinking

Swindle seems a very appropriate word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The silence from the Technical group is deafening.

If this was a FG / FF TD in question then they would be up in arms and would be chanting for a resignation. Hypocrites.

Even worse one of their members, catherine murphy, was on this Morning Ireland and refused to say he should resign.
    "I completely disapprove of what he did. I'm saying that very clearly; other members of the technical group have said exactly the same thing," she said.

"Essentially that's what these Dáil committees are for is to look at it and bring forward, if it is deemed to be the right thing to do, something like a vote of censure.

"I am certainly open to that, once it goes through the proper procedures where somebody gets a fair hearing."

Why did she bring in about a fair hearing ?
    Does she think there is some doubt that the guy purposely made false tax returns and is in effect a tax evader ?

After all the guy admitted it to 100,000s of listeners on national radio yesterday.
    Perhaps the voters and supporters of catherine murphy and all the other ones condoning tax evasion why should they pay tax ?

The so called new wave of independents are a joke.
    Next time one of them starts sounding off about cuts all government backbenchers have to say why don't they ask their buddy mick to cough the money.
    I wonder if his company was still paying his salary while he made the decision to withhold, the VAT that was collected.

Actually as his compnay failed, he and his son, the only directors increased their director fees.
    After all he probably reckoned that the taxpayer would fund it.
    And guess what we are.
    We are paying his handsome salary and expenses as we speak. :mad:
    The fact that the people of Wexford will still deliver him as a poll topper after this news speaks volumes about what is fundamentally wrong with this country.

I just hope Wexford is hit with over 2 million in cuts somewhere.
    This man collected VAT off people, he trousered it and did not pay the Revenue.Therefore he a liar, a tax defaulter and a cheat. Yet he is a member of PARLIAMENT. SOMETHING SURELY VERY WRONG IN THE STATE OF DENMARK. He owes over 2 million which he says he cant pay. So it is US he actually owes. Hope CAB & Gardai get involved.

Even better we the taxpayers are funding his salary, his expenses and his retirement plan. :mad:
    Motorist wrote: »

I think people should just refuse to go on his show.
    Leave it to browne and dodgy types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

jmayo wrote: »
    Even worse one of their members, catherine murphy, was on this Morning Ireland and refused to say he should resign.

Why did she bring in about a fair hearing ?

I would have to agree and it was one of those interviews where you can hear the person squirm. More M'ing in that soundbite than a bag of M & M's , I'm embarrassed for her she shot herself in the foot this morning.

• Advertisement

Babooshka wrote: »
    I would have to agree and it was one of those interviews where you can hear the person squirm. More M'ing in that soundbite than a bag of M & M's , I'm embarrassed for her she shot herself in the foot this morning.

Like all political groups they stand by their own.

Remember FF with O'Donaghue (expenses) Ahern (dodgy handouts) Cowan (drunk).....
    SF with inkgate and a whole lot more.
    FG defending their own 9 years of under the table payments to staff (tax evasion)
    Labour and their links to SIPTU and their slush fund.

They're all the same folks and we're the fools that elect them!

Advertisement