Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More Revenue Shenanigans from Mick Wallace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Motorist wrote: »
    Vinny B seems to Wallaces best friend. He couldn't stand any criticism of Wallace on his show tonight.

Also Wallace has been on his show a bit too frequently in the past without ever being put through the ringer like every government party member is.

Saw that, embarrassing from VB. And he was on George Hook's show earlier saying the same thing, just deflecting it and talking about Fine Gael!

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/thursday/2/popup

From 26 mins (worth a listen, George doesn't like it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

woodoo wrote: »
    What do politicians have to do for something to be a resigning issue in this country. Can you imagine if Wallace was a British MP. It would be a major major scandal and he would be gone in disgrace. Then prosecuted.

Here there will be a furore for a few days, a few disparaging pieces in the Sunday papers and then it will be all swept under the carpet. We will all move on and Mick will still be a TD collecting his salary while the taxpayer sees to his debts.

A sea change is needed in this country.

Will he still be entitled to a pension if he's forced to resign?

plasmaguy wrote: »
    It's hard to take someone like Wallace seriously when he talks about government cutbacks.

Mick, when people don't pay their taxes in full, cutbacks are inevitable.

As long as we continue to waste billions on banks that cannot / will not function in a proper manner, cutbacks are even more inevitable.

Wallace is wrong, but there's a whole lot of things that are wrong in our precious little republic.

The facts stand for themselves, the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.

REPUBLIC MY ARSE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

vicwatson wrote: »
    None of the politicians work for Wexford, they bring in SFA investment and jobs to Wexford, they all just talk a good show. They are all and always have been a disaster for Wexford.
    ...never did a tap for Wexford...
    ...what's he dones for Wexford...
    ...provide valid examples of what Wexford politicians have brought to Wexford...
    Sweet. Parochial. Jesus.

They’re not supposed to be working for Wexford. They’re supposed to be working for the country.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Lowry has not admitted to or has been found guilty of anything...
    Yes, he was. The McCracken Tribunal concluded that Lowry was guilty of tax evasion, forcing him to resign from Fine Gael. The Moriarty Tribunal found that Lowry, in his capacity as Minister for Communications, assisted Denis O’Brien’s Esat Digiphone in acquiring a mobile phone licence.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    We're the laughing stock of europe! The 'thick paddies'.
    People are aware of what’s happening in Greece, right?

woodoo wrote: »
    What do politicians have to do for something to be a resigning issue in this country. Can you imagine if Wallace was a British MP. It would be a major major scandal and he would be gone in disgrace.
    Because he would be hounded out of his job by the tabloid press. I really wish people would stop using UK politics as some sort of barometer of virtue.

djpbarry wrote: »
    People are aware of what’s happening in Greece, right?

No doubt, but if there was due diligence, Greece wouldn't have been allowed to join in the first place.

I'm concerned for my country and how we are doing everything asked of us and are getting very few concessions in return.

A bit of fairness, a bit of hope could do wonders!

As long as we continue to waste billions on banks that cannot / will not function in a proper manner, cutbacks are even more inevitable.

Wallace is wrong, but...
    ...the banks. Look, the banks. Remember, the banks. Banks! BANKS! THE ****ING BANKS!!!

Wallace's actions were wrong. Full stop. No buts. Please, no buts.

Wallace's actions were wrong. Full stop. No buts. Please, no buts.

I concur.

He's just an example of everything that's wrong in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Dickerty wrote: »
    How is defrauding the state of over €1M worth it to save 60 jobs? What you really mean is, it was more important to look after your friends than to obey the law?

Hell in a handbasket...

Usually the opinions on this forum are indicative of the way the electorate is NOT thinking.
    I briefly checked out breakingnews.ie, typically a good indicator of the way the the general public seem to perceive a given issue, and was surprised to see that the opinions on this board and that one, have aligned. That's actually fairly unusual...

Honestly, I would have expected a lot of people are going to see this as:
    "Mick lied to those b@stards to try save 60 jobs - fair play Mick".
    I've heard a number of "cute hoor" comments on the topic today.
    I guess it depends on wheter he can get the PR machine into action now.

Well, on the bright side for Mick, at least he has rebutted those who said he wasn't fit to be a TD:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Wallace is wrong, but there's a whole lot of things that are wrong in our precious little republic.

The facts stand for themselves, the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.

REPUBLIC MY ARSE!

Are you right about that gerryo? Surely many/most of the rich (MW etc) are getting poorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

Wallace is a gent who would give you the pink shirt off his back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

So has he resigned from Dail yet? If not, why not? He is unfit for office and the only reason his tirade against the banks he unaffordably borrowed from took place, was because he was in the poop.
    Go home to the deluded voters who elected you, Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He should resign,We don't need another corrupt TD in the call, let him show some real balls and example and give up his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

cast_iron wrote: »
    But he didn't swindle it really though, did he?
    I mean, his company didn't actually have the €1.4m to start with due to trading difficulties.
    Yes, he didn't declare it, that's not to say he had it but just didn't bother paying it.

His company had money

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-wallace-doubled-pay-as-his-firm-was-going-down-drain-3132379.html

He just chose to use it to line his own pockets as the ship was sinking

Swindle seems a very appropriate word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The silence from the Technical group is deafening.

If this was a FG / FF TD in question then they would be up in arms and would be chanting for a resignation. Hypocrites.

Even worse one of their members, catherine murphy, was on this Morning Ireland and refused to say he should resign.
    "I completely disapprove of what he did. I'm saying that very clearly; other members of the technical group have said exactly the same thing," she said.

"Essentially that's what these Dáil committees are for is to look at it and bring forward, if it is deemed to be the right thing to do, something like a vote of censure.

"I am certainly open to that, once it goes through the proper procedures where somebody gets a fair hearing."

Why did she bring in about a fair hearing ?
    Does she think there is some doubt that the guy purposely made false tax returns and is in effect a tax evader ?

After all the guy admitted it to 100,000s of listeners on national radio yesterday.
    Perhaps the voters and supporters of catherine murphy and all the other ones condoning tax evasion why should they pay tax ?

The so called new wave of independents are a joke.
    Next time one of them starts sounding off about cuts all government backbenchers have to say why don't they ask their buddy mick to cough the money.
    I wonder if his company was still paying his salary while he made the decision to withhold, the VAT that was collected.

Actually as his compnay failed, he and his son, the only directors increased their director fees.
    After all he probably reckoned that the taxpayer would fund it.
    And guess what we are.
    We are paying his handsome salary and expenses as we speak. :mad:
    The fact that the people of Wexford will still deliver him as a poll topper after this news speaks volumes about what is fundamentally wrong with this country.

I just hope Wexford is hit with over 2 million in cuts somewhere.
    This man collected VAT off people, he trousered it and did not pay the Revenue.Therefore he a liar, a tax defaulter and a cheat. Yet he is a member of PARLIAMENT. SOMETHING SURELY VERY WRONG IN THE STATE OF DENMARK. He owes over 2 million which he says he cant pay. So it is US he actually owes. Hope CAB & Gardai get involved.

Even better we the taxpayers are funding his salary, his expenses and his retirement plan. :mad:
    Motorist wrote: »
    Vinny B seems to Wallaces best friend. He couldn't stand any criticism of Wallace on his show tonight.

Also Wallace has been on his show a bit too frequently in the past without ever being put through the ringer like every government party member is.

I think people should just refuse to go on his show.
    Leave it to browne and dodgy types.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

jmayo wrote: »
    Even worse one of their members, catherine murphy, was on this Morning Ireland and refused to say he should resign.

I would have to agree and it was one of those interviews where you can hear the person squirm. More M'ing in that soundbite than a bag of M & M's , I'm embarrassed for her she shot herself in the foot this morning.

• Advertisement

Babooshka wrote: »
    I would have to agree and it was one of those interviews where you can hear the person squirm. More M'ing in that soundbite than a bag of M & M's , I'm embarrassed for her she shot herself in the foot this morning.

Like all political groups they stand by their own.

Remember FF with O'Donaghue (expenses) Ahern (dodgy handouts) Cowan (drunk).....
    SF with inkgate and a whole lot more.
    FG defending their own 9 years of under the table payments to staff (tax evasion)
    Labour and their links to SIPTU and their slush fund.

They're all the same folks and we're the fools that elect them!

lucozader wrote: »
    Wallace is a gent who would give you the pink shirt off his back !
    So long as the shirt was not the registered property of MJ Wallace Ltd, that is.

Does she think there is some doubt that the guy purposely made false tax returns and is in effect a tax evader ?
    Everyone's entitled to a fair hearing.

Based on reports in the media this morning, it seems a criminal investigation may well be forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Based on reports in the media this morning, it seems a criminal investigation may well be forthcoming.

Can he be prosecuted if he's made a settlement with revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

antoobrien wrote: »

I would imagine so as he willingly and knowingly broke the law and has admitted to intentionally doing something illegal.

donalg1 wrote: »
    I would imagine so as he willingly and knowingly broke the law and has admitted to intentionally doing something illegal.

Yeah, but how often do you hear of people/bodies that make settlements actually being prosecuted? The only cases of tax prosecutions I can remember is where people challenged the issue.

Edit:
    From today's indo
    But Mr Wallace is unlikely to face prosecution for the tax because Revenue has opted for a settlement. This means that prosecution has been parked in favour of coming to an agreement on the tax debt, even though he knew that he was making a false declaration, and despite his admission he is unlikely to be able to repay the money.

So he can be prosecuted but it appears that because he has "cooperated" he won't be

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    I guess that’s what’s up for discussion. Although, there are potentially two separate issues here. There’s the fact that his company’s VAT payments to Revenue were in arrears. But then there’s the explanation as to why this was the case (fraud, as we now know). So I guess it’s possible to make a settlement with Revenue to resolve the first issue without necessarily impacting on the second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

After all the guy admitted it to 100,000s of listeners on national radio yesterday.
    Perhaps the voters and supporters of catherine murphy and all the other ones condoning tax evasion why should they pay tax ?

The so called new wave of independents are a joke.
    Next time one of them starts sounding off about cuts all government backbenchers have to say why don't they ask their buddy mick to cough the money.

Actually as his compnay failed, he and his son, the only directors increased their director fees.
    After all he probably reckoned that the taxpayer would fund it.
    And guess what we are.
    We are paying his handsome salary and expenses as we speak. :mad:

I just hope Wexford is hit with over 2 million in cuts somewhere.

Even better we the taxpayers are funding his salary, his expenses and his retirement plan. :mad:

I think people should just refuse to go on his show.
    Leave it to browne and dodgy types.

The love-in between Vincent and Mick is a bit too apparent, Vincent was replayed defending him to the hilt on George Hook this morning.

Wallace should either resign now or be thrown out, doesnt matter which way so long as he doesnt qualify for a TDs pension.

Once someone brings in a statement about a fair hearing, one implies they will not get fairness in judgement and they are not guilty until proven otherwise.

THERE ISN'T ANY DOUBT AS TO HIS GUILT.
    HE OPENLY ADMITS HE KNOWINGLY REFUSED TO PAY HIS TAXES.

BTW aren't the law abiding taxpayers entilted to some fairness ?
    So far we have gotten none.
    We get to see someone be given a free pass on their taxes to the tune of millions and worse still continue to receive taxpayers funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The link below gives some indication of how a prosecution might be arrived at in a Revenue Audit case.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/audit-code-of-practice/prosecution.html

Once someone brings in a statement about a fair hearing, one implies they will not get fairness in judgement and they are not guilty until proven otherwise.
    Well, no actually. If you confess to a crime and are arrested on the basis of committing said crime, you are still entitled to a fair trial, are you not?
    BTW aren't the law abiding taxpayers entilted to some fairness ?
    So far we have gotten none.
    I think what we should be asking is why law-abiding taxpayers keep electing the likes of Wallace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's incredible that a man company can knowingly and admittedly defraud the state for €1.4M and we have to wonder if there will be a criminal investigation (never mind a conviction).

Ohh but he made a settlement....

But... Wallace has said the company does not have the money to settle. So how can it still be called a settlement?? :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

How come that woman who defrauded the state of 200K and paid it all back goes down for 3 years,
    yet Mick does it for millions, gets elected to the dail and brings his family off to the euros.

The mind boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's incredible that a man company can knowingly and admittedly defraud the state for €1.4M and we have to wonder if there will be a criminal investigation (never mind a conviction).

Ohh but he made a settlement....

But... Wallace has said the company does not have the money to settle. So how can it still be called a settlement?? :confused:

Good question. Check out the inability to pay clause per the Revenue Audit guidelines.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/audit-code-of-practice/finalisation.html#section9

In fairness if Wallace was actually put infornt of a judge he might get the same. It's the fact that he almost certainly won't be that infuriates me.

Good question. Check out the inability to pay clause per the Revenue Audit guidelines.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/audit-code-of-practice/finalisation.html#section9
    Does that still count here though? Inability to pay is one thing.... lodging false returns, getting penalties and then having and inability to pay is surely treated different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

So long as the shirt was not the registered property of MJ Wallace Ltd, that is.

I wonder if a burglar could do the same? "Your honour, the television was not stolen by me but by Anto Farrelly Asset Removal Ltd.; you'll have to speak to them."

jayteecork wrote: »
    How come that woman who defrauded the state of 200K and paid it all back goes down for 3 years,
    yet Mick does it for millions, gets elected to the dail and brings his family off to the euros.

The mind boggles!

Cooperation m'lord.

The "lady" in question did it over a number of years (breaking several laws multiple times in the process), it appears that the right dishonorable gentleman only did it the once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

goose2005 wrote: »
    I wonder if a burglar could do the same? "Your honour, the television was not stolen by me but by Anto Farrelly Asset Removal Ltd.; you'll have to speak to them."

But Anto Farrelly Asset Removal Ltd have agreed with the homeowner to return the tv, but unfortunately they are not in a position to do this so maybe a tax payer will do it for the Company

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

whippet wrote: »
    what are you on about, he collected the VAT from his customers and failed to pass it on to the revenue ... whatever the mechanics of it is .. that is the reality.

If his business was failing to the extent that he had to make a fraudulent declaration of VAT to the tune of a million quid .. he should have stopped trading at that stage ... the business wasn't viable ...

not alone that he doubled the salaries of himself and his son. Out with him at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

As an aside, when he gets forced out who is front runner for the seat in his constituancy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

ULA's policies on economics, social welfare, taxation and Europe are all off the wall. The only credit I was prepared to give them was in relation to ethics issues. Up until Mick Wallace, that is.

It is completely mind-boggling to hear the likes of Clare Daly and Joe Higgins defending a capitalist developer who cheated the taxman, didn't pay into ordinary worker's pension funds, left unfinished housing estates behind him and did his share of messing up the bank system. It is not like he lived the life of an ordinary Joe with his apartments in Turin (with Italian soccer season tickets) and Nice (to be fair, he has sold this one) and his vineyard which he sold to his brother in lieu of money owed to his brother and for which he gets full use and his dining with Clare Daly in upmarket restaurants like One Pico (according to newspaper reports today). To cap it all, when many people in the country are struggling every day to pay the bills thanks to the likes of him destroying the country, he is able to pack his bags and fly off to Poland to see the Boys in Green. What a neck it must be said.

Well, the last of my little respect for ULA is gone. Can't condemn one of their own. SF are nearly as bad, haven't heard a word from them. FF have kept silent too but they have too many secrets in their cupboards. Fair play to Labour and FG and to Sean Barrett who are quite rightly raising this issue to bring this man to justice.

He should serve a jail sentence like that other tax dodger did earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Godge wrote: »

Well, the last of my little respect for ULA is gone. Can't condemn one of their own. SF are nearly as bad, haven't heard a word from them. FF have kept silent too but they have too many secrets in their cupboards. Fair play to Labour and FG and to Sean Barrett who are quite rightly raising this issue to bring this man to justice.

Agree. Along with this latest escapade, we have:

SF = Priory Hall & Ink cartridge expenses & TD expenses
    Socialist Party = Like giving out about lack of real democracy, don't mind getting an absolute nobody who was never voted in, to replace Joe Higgins as a MEP
    ULA = Have a healthy appetite for TD expenses
    Occupy Dame Street = Side with millionaire landlords after evictions

They are all as bad as Gov. Parties and Greens.

It's all about "justifying" what their colleagues do yet if it is any other party or group, they want them sent to hell.

All in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

jayteecork wrote: »

The mind boggles!

didn't that fella who cheated on VAT on Garlic get 6 years - and he had already paid some of it back and was paying the rest of it back

If Wallace doesn't get jail for this then its an absolute outrage - why should anybody bother paying tax then.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Heard Joe Higgins on Pat Kenny today. Never heard such a waffler, did not know what to say. Laughable to hear him prevaricating and not being clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Heard Joe Higgins on Pat Kenny today. Never heard such a waffler, did not know what to say. Laughable to hear him prevaricating and not being clear.

Saw Higgins on the news just now and (with a bit of paraphrasing) this is what he said.
    "What Mick Wallace has done is wrong,unlawful and reprehensible.He should now pay back any money owed immediately from company assets if necessary"

Well thats great Joe.Thanks for being so decisive and condemning it so thoroughly.:confused:
    One thing Joe,Wallace has no money and he might as well have made a settlement for the full €20m owed, cos Joe,not one penny will be repaid.
    But you can sleep well tonight cos you gave him a right telling off.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Saw Higgins on the news just now and (with a bit of paraphrasing) this is what he said.
    "What Mick Wallace has done is wrong,unlawful and reprehensible.He should now pay back any money owed immediately from company assets if necessary"

Well thats great Joe.Thanks for being so decisive and condemning it so thoroughly.:confused:
    One thing Joe,Wallace has no money and he might as well have made a settlement for the full €20m owed, cos Joe,not one penny will be repaid.
    But you can sleep well tonight cos you gave him a right telling off.

But did joe come out and say he was unfit for public office or did he resort to his earlier line that it was up to the people from Wexford.

Does anyone have any of joe's quotes regarding whether o'dea, lowry, flynn, callely or ahern shoudl resign ?
    It would be interesting to see a comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

It was pathetic.....really pathetic. Embarrassing to have such an inept, shambling person representing the electorate, but they voted him in. But my blood was boiling listening to him waffle. I actually emailed him to clarify what the &@?! he actually meant.....don't expect a reply btw.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Just not a case of him not paying his tax, its a case of him stealing Vat that people had paid for their properties and that money was never his in the first place.

Pure theft, he should be charged with as crime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

But did joe come out and say he was unfit for public office or did he resort to his earlier line that it was up to the people from Wexford.

Does anyone have any of joe's quotes regarding whether o'dea, lowry, flynn, callely or ahern shoudl resign ?
    It would be interesting to see a comparison.

It was brought to his attention that he said Conor Lenihan should resign after the kebab incident. Pat Kenny said it to him on radio.

Joe denied it, denied it, denied it. Finally Pat Kenny was given the RTE article, read it, Joe denied it again. Pat Kenny referred to the news article again, and then Joe changed his mind and said it was possible he said, but more resign as a junior minister, not a TD.

Wow, great memory "never happened, never happened, never happened, might have happened, but if it did happen, it was in these circumstances"

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

Joke! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Would love to get a petition started...probably wishful thinking it would do anything and l have no idea how to even go about it....but watching Poznan on the TV and thinking of that crook over there makes me sooooo angry!:mad:

Advertisement