Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sons Of Anarchy [FX (US) -Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Also what's the story with Bobby? Didn't he only come back because Jax was making the MC legit? Is that all forgotten now?

They still have some legit businesses (Red Woodie :pac:) that he'll look after, but he's still a MC man and if the president's wife (his friend) was killed by a rival gang he'd be all on for war I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Clareman wrote: »
    I think it would have been a lot better if they could have gotten rid of Gemma at the same time as Clay (or even before), give Jax and Tara the opportunity to rule as King and Queen.

Something different like that would have been intriguing I think. Imo Taras charachter was much more interesting up until about the end of the Season (4?) where they were going to leave Charming. After that I think then she just to used as a pretty shallow nemesis to allow Gemma to remain front and center of the show.

Will stop giving out now and enjoy the rest of the season but after the premier already a little worried that a substantial part of is going to be another slight variation on the theme of oh look how evil Gemma is, yes we gathered that much about 5 years ago thanks. The remainder of Jaxs story is how the series can still go out on a high if done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

jayteecork wrote: »
    Was it just me or did anyone else think Ron Perlman's character was called Sam Crow?

Took me till episode 5 to find otu what Samcro actually meant.

I had to Google it !

So episode 2 of series 7 was pretty much Sons of Anarchy going through the motions. The end run plan is laid out by Jax and it's one of the most ridiculously over the top and dumb plans you'll come across, it's somewhat reminiscent of something you'd imagine Dasterdly and Muttley would dream up. Jax's plan for revenge to take apart Lin's operation and then offer a helping hand before killing off everyone Lin loves. All this based on the word of his mother, a woman he knows to be a liar who puts herself first and has no problem deliberately misleading her son. The fact that the first Jax hears of the Chiense intruder is in during the party would tell anyone with an IQ above single figures that something isn't right. That he so blindly charges in based solely on her word doesn't sit right. Jax is smarter than that and while anger may cloud his judgement, even he should be able to look at the facts before him and realise that things are wrong.

The shows biggest issue going forward is that the viewer no longer cares about Jax. For the first number of series Jax was presented to us as an anti-hero who wanted to better himself. At heart he was shown to be a decent guy who just wanted the right thing for those he loved and was searching for some form of redemption. It was something that went to the heart of what the show was bout and helped elevated it's familiar characters from the cliches they were. The show played around with the concept of doing bad things for good reasons and seemed to want to say that power and money aren't all that valuable in the grander scheme. Sadly the show has moved away from that and it's as stumbling block. Having Jax throw away the past 6 series of character development feels wrong though when you look back on the series perhaps the point is that Jax's frequent speeches on going straight were as hollow as an empty gas tank. He's a hypocrite, a nasty, vile scumbag who is impossible to care for anymore. There's no humanity left there and it's a shame to see the writers allow Jax's plan change characters such as Bobby. The Bobby I know from the show would take serious issue with murdering innocent people or killing friends simply to try and create a war between the different factions.

Once again the shows strongest aspect was the supporting cast, Wendy and Nero's drive was the show at it's best. Wendy has always been one of the shows most infuriating characters, there's so much potential there but she's been poorly served by the writing staff. Here for the first time does she come across as someone likeable and her easy banter with Nero (whom is the shows standout) was just a pleasant change of pace. With Tara gone it's nice to see the writers use Wendy as something other than a block to place in Tara's way. Wayne returning to the law seems like a set up for solving Tara's murder, there's be some poetic justice in having Wayne put an end to Gemma and I imagine it would be with a bullet and not a pair of handcuffs.

Action wise the show continues to mine 80s TV for inspiration. The shoot out
    with the Chinese was ridiculous and I found myself humming the A-Team theme throughout. It was a poorly choreographed mess with the Sons just standing in the open and picking off the baddies with ease. Having these big firefights take place without a single one of the Sons getting so much as a paper cut is hard to take seriously. The fallout and murder of Jerry's recruits, one of whom I assume is family felt wrong. Once again the show has characters abandon their moral code for an easy set up, Bobby should have huge issue with the murders but not only happily goes along with it but pulls a trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

So episode 2 of series 7 was pretty much Sons of Anarchy going through the motions. The end run plan is laid out by Jax and it's one of the most ridiculously over the top and dumb plans you'll come across, it's somewhat reminiscent of something you'd imagine Dasterdly and Muttley would dream up. Jax's plan for revenge to take apart Lin's operation and then offer a helping hand before killing off everyone Lin loves. All this based on the word of his mother, a woman he knows to be a liar who puts herself first and has no problem deliberately misleading her son. The fact that the first Jax hears of the Chiense intruder is in during the party would tell anyone with an IQ above single figures that something isn't right. That he so blindly charges in based solely on her word doesn't sit right. Jax is smarter than that and while anger may cloud his judgement, even he should be able to look at the facts before him and realise that things are wrong.

The shows biggest issue going forward is that the viewer no longer cares about Jax. For the first number of series Jax was presented to us as an anti-hero who wanted to better himself. At heart he was shown to be a decent guy who just wanted the right thing for those he loved and was searching for some form of redemption. It was something that went to the heart of what the show was bout and helped elevated it's familiar characters from the cliches they were. The show played around with the concept of doing bad things for good reasons and seemed to want to say that power and money aren't all that valuable in the grander scheme. Sadly the show has moved away from that and it's as stumbling block. Having Jax throw away the past 6 series of character development feels wrong though when you look back on the series perhaps the point is that Jax's frequent speeches on going straight were as hollow as an empty gas tank. He's a hypocrite, a nasty, vile scumbag who is impossible to care for anymore. There's no humanity left there and it's a shame to see the writers allow Jax's plan change characters such as Bobby. The Bobby I know from the show would take serious issue with murdering innocent people or killing friends simply to try and create a war between the different factions.

Once again the shows strongest aspect was the supporting cast, Wendy and Nero's drive was the show at it's best. Wendy has always been one of the shows most infuriating characters, there's so much potential there but she's been poorly served by the writing staff. Here for the first time does she come across as someone likeable and her easy banter with Nero (whom is the shows standout) was just a pleasant change of pace. With Tara gone it's nice to see the writers use Wendy as something other than a block to place in Tara's way. Wayne returning to the law seems like a set up for solving Tara's murder, there's be some poetic justice in having Wayne put an end to Gemma and I imagine it would be with a bullet and not a pair of handcuffs.

with the Chinese was ridiculous and I found myself humming the A-Team theme throughout. It was a poorly choreographed mess with the Sons just standing in the open and picking off the baddies with ease. Having these big firefights take place without a single one of the Sons getting so much as a paper cut is hard to take seriously. The fallout and murder of Jerry's recruits, one of whom I assume is family felt wrong. Once again the show has characters abandon their moral code for an easy set up, Bobby should have huge issue with the murders but not only happily goes along with it but pulls a trigger.

Terrible, terrible writing by Mr Plothole Kurt Sutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ90

I've the first 2 seasons watched. Enjoyed it as it was something different to what I would normally watch although there were some poor episodes. Would you guys recommend that I continue to watch it. Does it get better ? thanks !

DJ90 wrote: »
    I've the first 2 seasons watched. Enjoyed it as it was something different to what I would normally watch although there were some poor episodes. Would you guys recommend that I continue to watch it. Does it get better ? thanks !

It's really hard to say, if you enjoyed the first two series and haven't much else to watch then forge ahead but if you found what you saw to be poor it'll be difficult to get through the woeful IRA series and series 6 which is just poor overall. There's so much great TV out there that is far more deserving of your time, shows such as Terriers, The Shield, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Burn Notice, Braquo and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ90

It's really hard to say, if you enjoyed the first two series and haven't much else to watch then forge ahead but if you found what you saw to be poor it'll be difficult to get through the woeful IRA series and series 6 which is just poor overall. There's so much great TV out there that is far more deserving of your time, shows such as Terriers, The Shield, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Burn Notice, Braquo and so on.

Thanks. I think im going to give it another shot but I really want to start watching the wire too and watch season 4 of suits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Season 3 finale was one of my favourite episodes of TV ever

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So Gemma tells a lie she didn't need to tell, and now the Sons are going to war which will likely result in a load of needless deaths.

Jax is an idiot for believing her, but f*ck sake Gemma... She had absolutely no reason to say she saw one of Lin's men when Tara was killed (saying Jax "needed it" is complete and utter horsesh*t), nobody suspected her, she could have said absolutely nothing. Instead, she sends Jax to war with the Chinese. What the absolute f*ck did she think would happen? Did she think that Jax would just stop at that one guy and not go after Lin?

I love the show, but Gemma is one of the worst goddamn characters ever. Nothing she ever does makes any sense, and causes far more trouble than what she's trying to prevent.

Agree about Bobby too, can't see why he agreed with killing Jury's guys, considering how adamant he's been previously about keeping their alliances and their history with other charters/gangs (the Grim B*stards for example)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who's the young girl that was looking after the kids? She was Tim Roth's daughter in Lie To Me but don't remember who she is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The CGI in this show is some of the worst I've ever seen. The blood splatter looks like it was done with a computer from ten years ago. The music choices in episode two was dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Jesus... I don't think I can watch this anymore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Who's the young girl that was looking after the kids? She was Tim Roth's daughter in Lie To Me but don't remember who she is here.

She is the daughter of the 'guardian angel' homeless woman that appears throughout the show. The woman was killed in the accident that led to deth of JT (Jax's father).
    She appeared last season wrecking bikes and smashing the window of the ice cream shop. Jax then saved her father from getting the chop from his job.

Just after watching the latest episode, still trying to process it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Is it the same actress?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tristram wrote: »
    Is it the same actress?

It is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Agree totally with the Gemma lie
    stupid stupid stupid writing could they not have thought of another way of pinning it on yellow to start a war fake fed intel or something

I disagree somewhat, I think the show was about Jax trying to turn to the "good" side
    as in the good side of the spectrum of 1% biker gangs
    but instead the gang and him turn to the other way driven by revenge and I assume this season ends in their self destruction
    That seems like a reasonable plot to me , I agree there nothing likable about
    them anymore and that makes it harder to watch but in fairness they where always scum they just more scummier, I never liked them , Only one season left and everyone knows it last season, so watching the anti-heros self destruct seems like a ok plot to me, I want them taken down thats going be the pay-off

agree i see these characters surviving with the kids at the end

Ya the shootouts are terrible, choreographed and scripted
    The vehicle chase scenes are decent enough thou.
    The cinematography of the shootouts have terrible throughout show
    They really went for quantity over quality they seem to include several shootouts of varying sizes in nearly very episode even if they have nothing to do with main plot instead of building up the tension and than a having a really well sculpted gunfight
    The show should really have put more effort in them would have been a lot better.

What it should look like
    This is the climactic shootout scene in Christopher McQuarrie's unique kidnap thriller The Way of the Gun. The gun fight scenes in the movie are unique in that, they play out very strategically and realistically. People run out of bullets. Gunshots are loud. People miss often. And you sometimes have to unload an entire clip at someone till you hit them. All in all the gun fight at the end of this film is sort of a minor breakthrough in gun fight blocking for film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭squonk

I kind of lost interest half way through but to me it didn't make a lot of sense. It's a **** storm built on Gemma's lie and watching what was going on I was being driven made thinking "How is Bobby going along with this?". SOA has gone from an interesting show I cared quite a bit about despite dips in quality or some stupid stuff every so often to now being something I can just about watch. It's almost like a parody of itself at this stage!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

On thinking about it, that episode was purely about lining up all the ducks in a row and getting the story straight about what's going to happen. It's a good foundation for carnage over the next 11 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Hopefully Jax finds out the truth & does Gemma in once & for all. :cool:

• Advertisement

Some more comments
    - Tig and Rat are f*cking awesome together
    - Why in the name of Jaysus would Unser just leave his files and paperwork lying on the table.
    - How did Gemma's eagle eye spot them so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so that was the other crew leaders son? he just didn't mention it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

so that was the other crew leaders son? he just didn't mention it

Yeah that's what I thinking or some sort of relation

red dave wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I thinking or some sort of relation

It was kind of funny when (I'll assume it was his son) he gave his address to Jax. The naivety! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Nemanrio wrote: »
    It was kind of funny when (I'll assume it was his son) he gave his address to Jax. The naivety! :o

Well the reaper is on the back of jax jacket so I don't know what your man was expecting....flowers and a card to say thanks. Totally naive! :P

red dave wrote: »
    Well the reaper is on the back of jax jacket so I don't know what your man was expecting....flowers and a card to say thanks. Totally naive! :P

There's no reason he should expect them to show up and kill him. He's just gone out of his way to do the gang a favor and had his truck destroyed. When he's told that the gang want to make things right one would expect a bit of money.

There's no reason he should expect them to show up and kill him. He's just gone out of his way to do the gang a favor and had his truck destroyed. When he's told that the gang want to make things right one would expect a bit of money.

:D sorry Darko I was being sarcastic there. Yes of course a pay off is what they were expecting. The set up for those two was pretty bad story wise I thought but I guess Chris Stutter wants the sons to completely implode so needed an angle to work it.

Yes, but probably should have been wise to fact of Jax's reputation/recent bereavement. The guy seemed a bit thick anyway tbf.His father probably should have had a word.

• Advertisement

I think it's more a case of Jax's plan to take apart the Chinese piece by piece without them realising, getting a massive spanner in the works.

First - The Chinese can trace the guys back to the club
    Second - The Indian Hills charter are going to go bonkers.

I guess the one thing that works in the favour of SAMCRO is that the guy that was killed was not a patched member or a propect.....possibly a hang around though.

Advertisement