Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Target Pistol....Can we do it?

Options
  • 05-12-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

I hope you are all having a good Monday. I have a question for Importation of a Firearm.

Are we the public able to import firearms or do we have to get a RFD to do it on our behalf?

I have Family in the US and want a Sw model 41 and Walther ppq 22lr and many dealers are not able to get them.

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I made enquiries recently about bringing in a barrel from a company in the States, for them to get an export licence for the barrel, it was going to be 325 Dollars just for the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fielder90

WOW!! That is Daft ( price of the ppq in the US) - Americans don't want stuff leaving the US by the look of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I know of two Model 41s available at the moment and within the last month a friend has bought and licensed the Walther PPQ.

How many dealers have you tried?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Hi Cass,

I have tried around 5 here in Cork and One in Carlow.

I know of one model 41 for sale for 1900 - It was the performance centre one - little steep for me at the moment.

If you could pass on any contracts for the model 41 that would be great I would like to buy new for the PPQ and Model 41. Bt I know I may have to look at 2nd hand for the 41.

I have a budget of around 2k for the two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have the contact details for one of the S&W 41a and will have the person contact you. The other i will try and get by the weekend.

As for the Walther, again i'll try my best to contact the lad and ask for as much details as possible (where, how long, how much, etc).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    I have the contact details for one of the S&W 41a and will have the person contact you. The other i will try and get by the weekend.

As for the Walther, again i'll try my best to contact the lad and ask for as much details as possible (where, how long, how much, etc).

That would be brilliant Cass - Many thanks!! I have gotten a quote for the PPQ €590 - but ambiguity when it can be gotten Could be February etc.

Much appreciated - getting into the sport and need to buy my toys before the wedding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Fielder90 wrote: »
    That would be brilliant Cass - Many thanks!! I have gotten a quote for the PPQ €590 - but ambiguity when it can be gotten Could be February etc.

Much appreciated - getting into the sport and need to buy my toys before the wedding!!

I only married mrs tac because she was already shooter and archer. I hope your intended is the same!

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I only married mrs tac because she was already shooter and archer. I hope your intended is the same!

tac

HI Tac,

She is to be fair enjoys clays and likes pistols but doesn't want one of her own ...yet :)

Another question for you guys...Can I buy extra Magazines myself or do I need to get them from an RFD - do you guys know how much a PPQ mag might go for. I have gotten two quotes one is €25 and the other is €40....also told i have to pay postage for the Gun from Germany from a dealer in Cork...bit strange or is the normal practise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Another thing to remember is that all .22 magazines must be restricted to only hold 5 rounds. Stupid law but that's where we are.

Most people usually supply a letter from the gun dealer saying that they have been plugged when they are sending in the licence application.

If you don't supply a letter from the gun dealer that the mags have been plugged the Gardaí will probably refuse your licence.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Another thing to remember is that all .22 magazines must be restricted to only hold 5 rounds. Stupid law but that's where we are.

Most people usually supply a letter from the gun dealer saying that they have been plugged when they are sending in the licence application.

If you don't supply a letter from the gun dealer that the mags have been plugged the Gardaí will probably refuse your licence.

Yeah I was told that today which is grand Ive no bothers having them restricted to 5 rounds.

Do you think if I get them plugged in the US/UK than id be able to get them shipped here ( dont fancy paying €40 per magazine) ? just as they are much cheaper or would customs stop them thinking they are prohibited etc?

Any body ever source mags themselves?

• Advertisement

Fielder90 wrote: »
    Yeah I was told that today which is grand Ive no bothers having them restricted to 5 rounds.

Do you think if I get them plugged say in the US than id be bale to get them shipped here? just as they are much cheaper or would customs stop them thinking they are prohibited etc?

Any body ever source mags themselves?

Once you have the licence, you are free to have as many mags as you like, as long as they are plugged.

Someone else will have to answer your question regarding customs etc., I'm not sure.

No worries and thanks for the info!!! sorry for all the questions.

Ask away. You'll find most lads only too willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Forget the US at the moment. The UN ,and ITAR regulations have seriously fuked up exports for the little guys.:mad:Another case of the road to Hell being paved with good intentions.This legislation doesn't stop state of the art arms arriving in Syria,but it sure stops you from importing a freakin target pistol .:rolleyes:

Just to give you an example on US costs.I wanted to re barrel a rifle here[.308 semi auto from .243] last year.The drop in barrel was 275 dollars.The import,transport,shipping and liscensing from the US brought it close to one thousand dollars.I got a local guy to rebarrel it with a German Lothar Walther light target barrel profile,thread it for a silencer, fit ,profile and all the rest for 800 euros.
    So be prepared to fork out a good bit for your .22 if you want to bring it in from the US.

However have a look at Egun.de for your guns,It's a German website and at the moment it's alot easier to import from the EU than the US.
    They have a PPQ for sale NIB 449 euros and two S&W 41s in mint condition at 300[at auction for this one] and 700 respectively.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Forget the US at the moment. The UN ,and ITAR regulations have seriously fuked up exports for the little guys.:mad:Another case of the road to Hell being paved with good intentions.This legislation doesn't stop state of the art arms arriving in Syria,but it sure stops you from importing a freakin target pistol .:rolleyes:

Just to give you an example on US costs.I wanted to re barrel a rifle here[.308 semi auto from .243] last year.The drop in barrel was 275 dollars.The import,transport,shipping and liscensing from

However have a look at Egun.de for your guns,It's a German website and at the moment it's alot easier to import from the EU than the US.
    They have a PPQ for sale NIB 449 euros and two S&W 41s in mint condition at 300[at auction for this one] and 700 respectively.

Hi Grizzly,

Thanks for that honestly great advice. I will let the US alone so. never knew of egun!! And how would one import it then? unreal If I could get them both.

Just joined MTSC aswell so im on the road to really wnjoying the sport and having a go at a few comps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Back when the celtic tiger was roaring, i brought in several pistols, by using an article 7 form, which has to be signed by a superintendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Has anyone used egun to bring firearms into the Rep, I know the guys I shoot with up North use it , would it be easier to have it sent to the North and import from there ? Im thinking of buying a sports pistol from anywhere lol

Advertisement