Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lidl's arabica bean coffee proves nice with my guests- v kenco apparently- I don't drink coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Just had to let you know..

I was in Aldi yesterday looking for a women's razor but they didn't have any. Instead I picked up a man's one-it looked very much like a Gillette, with three blades. It was €3.49.
    Got home, tried it out and wow, it was amazing.

I've used Wilkinson's Sword, Gillette and Venus razors before but I've never gotten such a close smooth shave as the Aldi one.
    Really nice to use too-glided on a dream and left my legs and underarms feeling so soft.

Nicely surprised and the price is amazing.
    So long brand name razors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

fussyonion wrote: »
    Just had to let you know..

I was in Aldi yesterday looking for a women's razor but they didn't have any. Instead I picked up a man's one-it looked very much like a Gillette, with three blades. It was €3.49.
    Got home, tried it out and wow, it was amazing.

I've used Wilkinson's Sword, Gillette and Venus razors before but I've never gotten such a close smooth shave as the Aldi one.
    Really nice to use too-glided on a dream and left my legs and underarms feeling so soft.

Nicely surprised and the price is amazing.
    So long brand name razors!

The Lidl 4-blade Shark razors are good too. I've been using them for a long time, much cheaper than Gillette. I still keep the Gillette handle as it's so easy to get Gillette refills in a pinch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    Lidl are introducing a new entry-level range in the UK. This is similar to Aldi's everyday essentials range.
    Has anyone seen Lidl's Simply in store?
    http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companies/discounters/lidl/lidl-trials-budget-line-under-simply-name/237058.article
    Finally saw some Simply toilet roll in Lidl.
    It looks like they are introducing this value range to Irish stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes cournelscourt had a range of Waitrose soups, not sure if they have other waitrose stuff. Dunno why this is not more common, i.e. stocking stuff from supermarkets not established here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunnes cournelscourt had a range of Waitrose soups, not sure if they have other waitrose stuff. Dunno why this is not more common, i.e. stocking stuff from supermarkets not established here.

Waitrose bought into Dunnes - that's why their products are being stocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Faith wrote: »

Some of their stuff is lovely too so is a good thing :)

FanadMan wrote: »
    Some of their stuff is lovely too so is a good thing :)

My one regret about moving back to Ireland from the UK is that I no longer have a Waitrose 200 metres from my house :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

have you anything to back this up with? when? why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

gowley wrote: »

It's not a secret. http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/uk-retailer-waitrose-to-strengthen-dunnes-link-26859017.html

Slaphead07 wrote: »

nothing at all there about Waitrose buying into Dunnes.

My mistake, they haven't bought in, they're 'strengthening their relationship': http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/uk-retailer-waitrose-to-strengthen-dunnes-link-26859017.html

/edit to add: Dunnes is seriously floundering, and Waitrose has been looking for an in-road to the Irish market for a while, so it's likely that the 'relationship' will develop further.

/edit 2: "losing market share" is more accurate than "seriously floundering".

My mistake, they haven't bought in, they're 'strengthening their relationship': http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/uk-retailer-waitrose-to-strengthen-dunnes-link-26859017.html

glad you have clarified your remark. maybe slaphead can enlighten us as he said its no secret they have bought in to dunnes.

maybe slaphead can enlighten us as he said its no secret they have bought in to dunnes.

Where did I say that? Feel free to use quaotation marks :confused:
    I pointed to an article that explained their relationship. That's all.

/edit to add: Dunnes is seriously floundering, and Waitrose has been looking for an in-road to the Irish market for a while, so it's likely that the 'relationship' will develop further.

you have already backtracked on your initial statement. this article is 12 months old and makes no mention of waitrose buying into dunnes which you have acknowledged. dunnes have 22.1% of the market which makes them the second biggest supermarket in the country. this compares to a 22.4% share for the same period last year. so seriously floundering is another inaccurate statement. i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Can anyone recommend a good preferably Aldi or even Lidl alternative to instant coffee? (Nescafe Gold Blend or Kenco). Cheers

the question was about waitrose buying into dunnes.

Easy Tiger. Pick a fight elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

donal7 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good preferably Aldi or even Lidl alternative to instant coffee? (Nescafe Gold Blend or Kenco). Cheers

The Supervalu own brand one is just as nice as Nescafe Gold Blend imo, well worth a try.

Easy Tiger. Pick a fight elsewhere.

not looking to pick a fight. just find it annoying when people post things that are completely untrue. but hey thats the joy of boards. people can post anything without any foundation

• Advertisement

I made a remark, I clarified my mistake, then I speculated. You made your point. Done. Now the thread must go back on topic. No further discussion of it on this thread, please.

I made a remark, I clarified my mistake, then I speculated. You made your point. Done. Now the thread must go back on topic. No further discussion of it on this thread, please.

you clarified your statement when it was pointed out to you that it was totally untrue. if you had kept the thread on topic initially and not make baseless claims there would be no issue.

the aldi specially selected colombian coffee is good

you clarified your statement when it was pointed out to you that it was totally untrue. if you had kept the thread on topic initially and not make baseless claims there would be no issue.

the aldi specially selected colombian coffee is good

It was a mistake. I'm human. You act like I did it on purpose. I immediately admitted my mistake when it was pointed out, and no damage was done by my original mistaken post.

Now, thread back on topic. Further posts on this matter will be infracted and deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

54kroc wrote: »
    The Supervalu own brand one is just as nice as Nescafe Gold Blend imo, well worth a try.

Thanks - I will give that a try 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

The aldi peanuts, way nicer than the main brand you get everywhere else.
    The aldi mcgraths tea is good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Sweet Tomato Relish, Jalapeno Pepper Relish & Sweet Pepper Relish in Aldi for €1.79 are fantastic. Made in Ireland too.

Beats the crap out of that Ballymaloe sh*te anyday (and what they stand for!).

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

Flahavan's microwave porridge is my morning staple, in red cylindrical container with free red scoop. Makes very authentic porridge in two minutes in the microwave. Aldi carry Kavanagh's microwave porridge, identical size, shape and colour of container, identical free scoop, same preparation method. It's about a Euro cheaper than Flahavan's but comes out inedible because the cooking only produces solid flakes floating in hot milk, not the grey goo which we all have learned to love since it contradicts its appearance by being tasty and nutritious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cocoon1100

Hi, I love Lidl GranArom Colombian 100% Arabica coffee costs only E1.99.

I used to only drink gold blend. It is worth a try at the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Cocoon1100 wrote: »

Ohhhh! Bought this today for the first time ever - Great coffee! Love the Sammy Spuds too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aldi do really nice battered chicken wings, very similar to KFC hot wings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Sunhill wrote: »
    Flahavan's microwave porridge is my morning staple, in red cylindrical container with free red scoop. Makes very authentic porridge in two minutes in the microwave. Aldi carry Kavanagh's microwave porridge, identical size, shape and colour of container, identical free scoop, same preparation method. It's about a Euro cheaper than Flahavan's but comes out inedible because the cooking only produces solid flakes floating in hot milk, not the grey goo which we all have learned to love since it contradicts its appearance by being tasty and nutritious.

The cheap 59c 500g Aldi stuff is the best porridge you can get € for g

Weird that I think about it but I have always kept a porridge ranking chart in my head

Top-Kelkin Organic
    Bottom- Flahavans Jumbo Oats

My post was deleted. As I was saying..........the jams and marmalade are very good in aldi, as are the low fat yoghurt by Dineen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

vicwatson wrote: »
    My post was deleted. As I was saying..........the jams and marmalade are very good in aldi, as are the low fat yoghurt by Dineen.

The 'Rhubarb and Vanilla jam' is a dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah that's the one I get for my kenko loving visitors- v popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

donal7 wrote: »

Aldi in Australia have a range of coffee machines & pods to rival Nespresso
    http://www.expressi.com.au/ (and are pretty good)

Do they have this in Ireland at all?

I'm just curious more than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Every now and then Lidl sell really, really good retractable dog leads, with a little gadget that holds waste bags, for only €7:

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3E535567-97BC082D/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_30258.htm

I got one a couple of years ago and keep watching out for them; missed it again last April, dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I shop in Lidl and have gradually been increasing the quantity of own-brand stuff I buy. However there are still a few items that I still 'need' the big brands, esp:

- Lyons tea (Tried the Lidl teabags but they were like dishwater, too weak)
    - Nescafe Gold (my OH drinks this, won't touch the Lidl stuff though he has tried it)
    - Glenisk natural yogurt with probiotics (Can't find a Lidl own brand to replace this)

Think that's about it though. My sister would throw a fit if she had to shop in Lidl - she's all about the big brand names! (Yes I mean she is a snob!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

- Glenisk natural yogurt with probiotics (Can't find a Lidl own brand to replace this)

Think that's about it though. My sister would throw a fit if she had to shop in Lidl - she's all about the big brand names! (Yes I mean she is a snob!)

The Lidl Greek Style Yoghurt is very nice (comes in big tubs and keeps really well).

Regarding your sister: I have no problem with people wanting the best and are willing to pay for it. What does my head in is the notion that by buying big brand names you are automatically buying the best quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I shop in Lidl and have gradually been increasing the quantity of own-brand stuff I buy. However there are still a few items that I still 'need' the big brands, esp:

- Nescafe Gold (my OH drinks this, won't touch the Lidl stuff though he has tried it)

I'm pretty sure that Glenisk make Lidl's own brand Irish organic yogurts

Try the Aldi McGraths Reserve Blend teabags and tell us what you think - price is €1.69 for 80 bags and by all accounts they are brilliant. Gold medal in 2012

GTA_Winners_2012_PD4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm pretty sure that Glenisk make Lidl's own brand Irish organic yogurts

Are the Lidl ones probiotic though? That's been the difficulty in switching over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Are the Lidl ones probiotic though? That's been the difficulty in switching over.

What might be sensible is to make your own. Get a starter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascott-Yogurt-Culture-and-starter/dp/B008S8UFT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1371735481&sr=1-1&keywords=yogurt+starter+culture

warm up milk to the temperature you'd use to wash your hands, put in a pinch of starter and give it a stir, and put it somewhere warm. One easy way is to make it in a bowl with clingfilm over the top and stick it under the duvet with the electric blanket on. In a few hours you'll have a fortnight's worth of delicious, yogurty-tasting yogurt with no additives, really good and costing little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

The Linseed serial topper stuff is excellent and a fraction of the price of the named brand stuff you get in Tesco, etc.

I hope it's of the same quality. I presume it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

ALDI - charcoal briquettes 5kg

There brutal .... no matter what you use they will not light very well at all.....

better with lumpwood from woodies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

vicwatson wrote: »
    The Sweet Tomato Relish, Jalapeno Pepper Relish & Sweet Pepper Relish in Aldi for €1.79 are fantastic. Made in Ireland too.

Beats the crap out of that Ballymaloe sh*te anyday (and what they stand for!).

They are made by Ballymaloe - FYI :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Omarscoming

I have always shopped in Tesco and Dunnes but now slowly buying more products from Aldi. Started going to Aldi more often after I saw the price of their nappies. Their Mamia brand is half the price of Pampers/Huggies and does the job just as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They are made by Ballymaloe - FYI :o

Oh, sweet. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

yeah lovely coffee especially in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Sunhill wrote: »

I used to use the Flahavan's microwavable oats in the red tube. I was in the shop the other day and 500g was 4euro something.

Right next to it was a bag of Flahavan's oats 500g which had "microwavable" on the bag The bag (same amount of oats) was 1.29.

Its the exact same stuff, calories etc. Same consistency and taste and cooking times. One just has a scoop and comes in a tube, the other is the exact same but three (almost four) times cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement