Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Aldi brands v names brands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Having switched more or less my entire weekly shop to Lidl for price reasons, I was shaken to see the Show a Lidl Respect demo outside an Irish Lidl store last week on YouTube; I love Lidl bread and their organic milk especially, but not at the cost of a nasty workplace for the people serving me. And apparently in Aldi the same kind of crap goes on - checkout people required to pass 1,150 items through till in specified time, only 15 minutes' meal break and then they pay for it themselves. Horrified.

eh, I dont think LIDL staff are forced to work there - they get paid to do a job. If you dont like what is offered then dont take the job?

Ive worked in supermarkets and there are always targets of speed and accuracy on scanning.

Why dont the staff take them to the labour court if they are breaching employment law?

Why wouldnt they pay for their own meals? I dont get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Having switched more or less my entire weekly shop to Lidl for price reasons, I was shaken to see the Show a Lidl Respect demo outside an Irish Lidl store last week on YouTube; I love Lidl bread and their organic milk especially, but not at the cost of a nasty workplace for the people serving me. And apparently in Aldi the same kind of crap goes on - checkout people required to pass 1,150 items through till in specified time, only 15 minutes' meal break and then they pay for it themselves. Horrified.

Get your "apparent" facts right.While I can't speak for Lidl, I worked in Aldi for 6 months until 3 months ago.I got a full 30 minute break during a 7.5 hour shift and had to scan on average of 1000 items,not 1150,through tills per hour.While I wasn't exactly thrilled with the job,it's unfair on them to make false claims about how they treat their staff.During my experience with Aldi,as long as you're willing to work hard they'll reward you by paying you better than any of the other big supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

El_Drago wrote: »
    Get your "apparent" facts right.While I can't speak for Lidl, I worked in Aldi for 6 months until 3 months ago.I got a full 30 minute break during a 7.5 hour shift and had to scan on average of 1000 items,not 1150,through tills per hour.While I wasn't exactly thrilled with the job,it's unfair on them to make false claims about how they treat their staff.During my experience with Aldi,as long as you're willing to work hard they'll reward you by paying you better than any of the other big supermarkets.

Thanks, this is better news than I've been reading online about Lidl, certainly.

I'm not "making false claims", by the way, I'm saying what I've been told by staff; perhaps the conditions have changed, or are different in individual stores. By the way, is 1,000 items per hour through the till (that's about three-and-a-half minutes per customer, is it?) a normal requirement in Irish shops? Is half an hour break in a seven-and-a-half-hour shift normal? What about sick pay and holiday pay?

By the way, is 1,000 items per hour through the till (that's about three-and-a-half minutes per customer, is it?) a normal requirement in Irish shops? Is half an hour break in a seven-and-a-half-hour shift normal? What about sick pay and holiday pay?

1,000 items per hour through a till is not a problem - have you ever actually worked as a checkout operator? It takes literally 1 second (or less) to scan an item. Its totally normal, in fact, Ive worked in a supermarket where it was much higher and it was still totally doable.

Of course a half hour break in a seven and a half hour shift is normal. Most jobs give a half hour break in the working day. Perhaps you need to read up on employment rights.

What about sick pay and holiday pay? Read up on the law. I sincerely doubt LIDL is breaking employment law in this country, no doubt the staff would have them up in the labour court as quick as you like if they were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This thread has gone way off topic and has run to a subject not suited to the Food & Drink forum.
    Let's get back on topic or it will be closed.

• Advertisement

I'm not accusing any organisation of breaking employment law.

No, I haven't worked on a till; my only experience in selling behind a counter has been voluntary, and that was fun, unpressured and rewarding.

Anywhere I've ever worked as an employee had a one-hour lunch break and any tea breaks you cared to take in an eight-hour shift - usually people would make tea and have it at their desks, but some would go for 'smoke breaks' of 10 minutes or so a couple of times a day. I'm surprised to hear that this isn't standard. It seemed to work well and we all worked hard. What do you think should be standard?

I wonder why the picket, if the conditions are good? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH73-9_5scM

Edit: Ah, sorry, mod, you just posted as I was about to press the button - didn't see it till after.

Just to get us back on topic - I see that LIDL have introduced a gluten free range which I am sure is good news for anyone with a gluten free diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Im finding these new ads by Lidl (or Aldi cant remember which) fairly unbelievable.
    It has customers claiming that they have saved €80 a WEEK be switching to lidl/aldi??

That seems like an extortionate claim. To save that much in 1 week they must have been buying the most epensive products going in their original shop.

Anyone else find it a tad OTT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Im finding these new ads by Aldi fairly unbelievable. It has customers claiming that they have saved €80 a WEEK be switching to lidl/aldi?? That seems like an extortionate claim. To save that much in 1 week they must have been buying the most epensive products going in their original shop. Anyone else find it a tad OTT?
    More than likely comparing name brands to Aldi brands. Aldi would be extremely careful about pricing claims.
    All four respondents were independently recruited to participate in the 'Aldi Swap and Save Challenge'. Between 15 October and 9 December 2012 they were invited to do their normal grocery shop for four consecutive weeks at their usual supermarket and then swap to Aldi for four consecutive weeks. We then compared the difference with all receipts retained weekly for comparative purposes. All respondents received a gratuity for their time.
    Emma saved €140.24 in total, an average of €35.06 per week
    Jane saved €321.28 in total, an average of €80.32 per week
    Orlagh saved €288.11 in total, an average of €72.03 per week
    Yolanda saved €244.73 in total, an average of €61.18 per week

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/25941.htm

Tesco has a similar campaign on name brands v Tesco brand http://www.tesco.ie/switchandsave/default3.html

Im finding these new ads by Lidl (or Aldi cant remember which) fairly unbelievable.
    It has customers claiming that they have saved €80 a WEEK be switching to lidl/aldi??

That seems like an extortionate claim. To save that much in 1 week they must have been buying the most epensive products going in their original shop.

Anyone else find it a tad OTT?

I havent seen the ads. Although last week I spent 50 quid on 4 large bags of shopping in LIDL, and then went to get a "few bits" in Supervalu (branded items not available in LIDL) and I spent 50 quid on 1 bag of shopping.

So depending on the items picked - yes I would believe it. For example I spent over a tenner on specific shampoo/conditioner in SuperValu - you could probably buy LIDL or ALDI shampoo/conditioner for 2 quid - but Id look like a scarecrow using it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Aldi's Smoked Salmon is delicious, all beautiful pink meat (none of the sh1tty gray bits that I often found in Supervalue/Tesco brand) and loads in a pack.. less than €4.. can't beat that.

Aldi's luxury yogurt range (Duneen West Cork Indulgence) - Rich, creamy and so very tasty.. the lemon one is to die for.

Aldi's version of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes tastes pretty much the same as Kellogs imho, and half the price.

Aldi's cheddar cheese slices.. €1.69 per pack and it's lovely, nicer than some of the commercial brands.

All their bread/cakes/biscuits.. taste the same as anything you'd pick up off the shelves of other (dearer) supermarkets, same shelf life.. and again, half the price, if not less.

These are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.. I buy pretty much everything in Aldi that we need for the house.

Bin liners, tin foil, baby wipes, nappies, shower gels, ladies personal care items etc... all great quality and for naathin!!

I heart Aldi.

Edit: Their shampoos and spray kitchen/bathroom cleaners are sh1te though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I agree about Aldi's cleaning stuff not being great.

I bought their version of Dettol Surface Cleanser, called PowerForce and the scent from it was so strong I was coughing for hours.

On the plus side, I switched from doing my weekly shop at Tesco to doing it at Aldi and I spend very little now.

Aldi's tinned chopped tomatoes are only 45c and their orange squash is one of the nicest I've ever tasted (And I mean nicer than MiWadi/Robinson's).
    Their tins of mixed beans are fantastic as a base for curries/stews etc.

Can't go wrong with their orange juice, eggs, sugar, cheddar slices and they do a gorgeous bottle of red wine; think it's called Kookiburra Shiraz, for only €4.99 and it's delicious.

I make all my meals from scratch and my shop at Aldi will cost around €30 while I spend about €20 in Tesco for branded stuff.

LIDL are doing a new tuna salad in a foil tray, brand is NIXE. Ive tried the rice and the mexican flavours and it is YUM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Have to agree with the ad - or close enough anyway. I did my first shop in Aldi last week (after shopping regularly for Years in tesco) and saved quite a lot!

I did quite a big shop including meat for the week and 5 bottles of really good quality wine (more chocolate than i would like to admit - i couldn't help myself its all fecking gorgeous!) condiments, breakfast stuff etc and it cost 90e.. And thats honestly with picking up random things i wouldn't normally get because they were so cheap.
    I'd say i saved at least 50e but im only shopping for 2 people.. i would presume the more im shopping for the more id save.

I have to say im not fond of either lidl or Aldi's cleaning products. They just don't seem to do the job.
    In saying that ive tried other brand names and would still favour one over many so its not isolated to Aldi + lidl!

I can honestly say ill be shopping in Aldi for the foreseeable though!

fussyonion wrote: »
    their orange squash is one of the nicest I've ever tasted .

Love their orange!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I just love their bratwurst.

I want some currywurst right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I just love their bratwurst.

I want some currywurst right now.

Bratwurst.... *droooooolll*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Lidl don't seem to stock bratwurst anymore. They were thinner than the aldi ones and were always great for a lazy dinner.

Aldi's Diet Cola isn't bad at all.

I am a big fan of Coke Zero and will keep buying it, but Aldi's Diet Coke is actually alright and mixed with Bacardi or vodka, I don't see a difference.
    I usually keep the Aldi cola for mixers and keep the Coke Zero for drinking during the day.

Can't go wrong with 6 cans for €1.99.

PS Just had some fishfingers for my dinner that I bought in Aldi and they were delicious. 100% cod and taste exactly like Birds Eye. I notice on the back of some Birds Eye fishfingers it's not cod they use, but pollock. The Aldi ones are pure cod and lovely. Bargain at under €2 for 10 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Anyone try their cooking sauces? Korma, curry etc?

I'll try a lot of Aldi and Lidl stuff but seem to stick to the names brands for sauces.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Anyone try their cooking sauces? Korma, curry etc?

I'll try a lot of Aldi and Lidl stuff but seem to stick to the names brands for sauces.

I've used Aldi's Thai green curry sauce a few times and it's lovely.. having said that, I always use a commercial branded curry paste as a base though.

Only because Aldi don't seem to sell curry pastes.

Ive tried their bolognese sauce and tikka masala sauce.
    I thought the bolognese sauce was very nice - if you are used to the commercial brands you will prob notice very little difference.

Tikka masala was nice - not overly authentic but for .79c its def worth it!

I haven't tried the more expensive sauces for 1.79 - they seem to have a separate seasoning on top and then the sauce to add later.. they look quite nice!
    Will try give them a go the next time.

I just got the thai green curry sauce today for dinner.. Im used to using curry paste so im not holding out much hope for this sauce but unfortunately aldi don't sell a paste :(

Edit: Tried their Green thai sauce over the weekend - would not recommend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

anybody try aldi dogfood

anybody try aldi dogfood

Not personally.

I did switch my dog to Lidl dried food, and she lost condition badly; after 3 months a friend asked me why her coat was so dull, and what was I feeding her. On his advice I put her back on to Eukanuba and she regained her former romps and glossiness.

She loves the doggy treats, though, especially the pig's ear and tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

My dog loves Earls moist and meaty from Aldi and has been eating it for 3 or 4 years now with no problems.

It drives me mad that LIDL stock something for months, even years, and then one day with no warning, its just gone. They did it with their pot noodles last year and they were gone for months. And the past 2 weeks they have not had the chow mein noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Dublin21 wrote: »

I haven't tried the more expensive sauces for 1.79 - they seem to have a separate seasoning on top and then the sauce to add later.. they look quite nice!
    Will try give them a go the next time.
    :(

They are excellent, I wouldn't normally use jarred sauces at all but was in lazy mood one Saturday and we tried it and I was more than impressed. By frying the dry seasoning first it makes the curry lovely and fragrant. Thumbs up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

It drives me mad that LIDL stock something for months, even years, and then one day with no warning, its just gone. They did it with their pot noodles last year and they were gone for months. And the past 2 weeks they have not had the chow mein noodles.

I feel your pain, in recent months several things I was only able to get in Lidl have suddenly disappeared from their shelves. They used to have debreziners, a particular hungarian sausage that along with a bottle of salsa sauce (from their Kania brand, similar glass bottle to the tomato ketchup) I used to use in various casserole type dishes. All gone, as well as the rye bread (both Aldi and Lidl used to have it), a particular type of muesli bars, and a particular type of pork sausage. Still hoping that some of these products might reappear on their shelves some day...

Aldi must have changed the supplier of their packaged minced beef because in the past I used to buy it and it was lovely and lean, but lately it's been stringy and worm-like. Hency why I switched to butcher mince.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Dont get me started, lidl used to have the best tasting coleslaw a few years ago then over night gone, changed to another company and its tastes crap now.
    They also did a lovely ready to eat pasta and again gone after a few months.
    Also Aldi used to do a lovely seafood chowder for 1.99 and then overnight, gone.

Advertisement