Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fool for Love??

Options
  • 29-08-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

When I was about 15/16 there was a couple of new houses being built beside mine. One of the builders was trez magnifique.. Absolute Ride:D

Anyway, he used to flirt with me a lot.. I would leg it home from school and plaster myself in make up and make him tea and sandwiches (Cringe City) - I realise now he only did it for the tea and sambo's.. But, the bastard asked me out on a date, very confidentially he said, 'meet me in the local at 8 on sat nite. I was sick with nerves, lied to my Dad and said I was staying with a mate... I tried on about 30 outfits and eventually (when I felt I looked like Madonna), headed off to the pub.

He never showed:eek:

Devastation was not the word.. Felt like such a fool and never saw him again because the building work was complete. I often thought about what I would do if I ever saw him - they are not pleasant thoughts!!

Has anyone else been a fool for love???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

When I was about 15/16 there was a couple of new houses being built beside mine. One of the builders was trez magnifique.. Absolute Ride:D

Anyway, he used to flirt with me a lot.. I would leg it home from school and plaster myself in make up and make him tea and sandwiches (Cringe City) - I realise now he only did it for the tea and sambo's.. But, the bastard asked me out on a date, very confidentially he said, 'meet me in the local at 8 on sat nite. I was sick with nerves, lied to my Dad and said I was staying with a mate... I tried on about 30 outfits and eventually (when I felt I looked like Madonna), headed off to the pub.

He never showed:eek:

Devastation was not the word.. Felt like such a fool and never saw him again because the building work was complete. I often thought about what I would do if I ever saw him - they are not pleasant thoughts!!

Has anyone else been a fool for love???

Aw! I was in France when I was 16 and met a gorgeous French man. We really hit it off and planned to meet in the city center of Nice later that night. I got all dolled up and lied to the program coordinators (it was a study abroad thing) about where I was going, said I'd be back in 10 minutes or something. He didn't show! Luckily I was going to meet up with some friends anyway, so it wasn't a total bust. But mmmm, French hottie. Too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Why do they bother asking:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ego

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ah in fairness he probably wanted to, but then the little voice in his head told him that he should avoid the possibility of statutory rape.

Why do they bother asking:confused:

I don't know! It's so mean, especially to do it to a 16 year old! How old was the builder? Frenchie was 19 or so. So I doubt it was the statutory, at least in my case. (But that's what I'll tell myself anyway.:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Id say he was about 30.. Jesus, he was beautiful - just dont get why he needed to be a false prick and ask me out....

Id say he was about 30.. Jesus, he was beautiful - just dont get why he needed to be a false prick and ask me out....

He probably thought you were adorable and sweet and would have liked to have gone out with you. But I'd imagine he had two fears: 1) statutory rape charges or 2) that it's pretty unethical to date someone so young and you'd likely get hurt. Still, he shouldn't have asked you in the first place. He probably looks like he was ridden hard and hung up to dry now, though. Heh.

Sure he could have been married or anything if he's hitting on girls half his age...you dodged a bullet there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Does anyone else ever still think about the one who never called? :rolleyes: AGES ago too. I'm such a loser!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I was in love with our builder, well apprentice. He had green eyes, curly hair and a tan. Yumz. I was 11.

I had made a fairground out of blocks and my toy figures. It was class. I had it on the carpet in my room. Builder decided to pull up the carpet and devastate it. Then replaced the carpet, burying half my toys under it.

He crushed my heart and my toys in one cruel blow... *cries in a corner*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Does anyone else ever still think about the one who never called? :rolleyes: AGES ago too. I'm such a loser!
    yep.the ones youd been seing for a month or so and just compleatly blank you.
    i think at least a text saying its not going anywhere id better then pure ignorance.

I have one ancient crush that I have never managed to grow out of.
    That is pretty foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Are we all fools or is it that some people just don't care for others?

Mulan wrote: »
    Are we all fools or is it that some people just don't care for others?

I think it's both. Everyone's a fool at some point and some people are just heartless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

never been that much of a fool for love. just haven't had my turn yet, lol!

though when i was about 13/14 i did have a big crush on the paper boy. damn fine he was too. never really expected anything to come of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Oh yes. But then you discover that they were too coked out of it to actually remember meeting you in the first place, and then every time you meet them after that they seem to think you're a completely new person they've never met before.... bah, men!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Oh yes. But then you discover that they were too coked out of it to actually remember meeting you in the first place, and then every time you meet them after that they seem to think you're a completely new person they've never met before.... bah, men!

I concur!

"I'll be in touch soon..." Ptssh! Just tell the truth. :rolleyes:

Rozabeez wrote: »

Srsly whats with women going out with all the douche bags?

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    I was in love with our builder, well apprentice. He had green eyes, curly hair and a tan. Yumz.

You have just described my builder :eek: :D :eek:

Srsly whats with women going out with all the douche bags?

There's a lot of 'em about.. I have met at least eh..... 2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

If civilisation's history can be divided up and defined by the wars can a life not be divided up and defined by the mistakes and regrets?

Regardless of the outcomes though I can't say I ever felt the fool due to love, overzealous optimist at times perhaps, but not the fool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Mulan

Some people say that the teen years are tough and sometimes cruel with regard to love, but looking back now for me they were great/funny and even cheesey but I'm sure it was all part of growing up.
    Some good memories flashing back now!!! oh my god!

^^ Indeed. It toughens you up for all the sh*t thats thrown at you in later life though.. Better to have loved and lost and all that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

is it just me or is this more likely to happen if you haven't been in a loving relationship already? first 'love' and all that? i dunno there was once someone i thought was special or at least he convince me he was "we're so alike, i've never met someone like yoooou" *puke*. turned out to be mr. hot one minute, cold the next. thankfully i never made a fool of myself but i felt like one for wasting time on him.

is it just me or is this more likely to happen if you haven't been in a loving relationship already?

Wow, that's an excellent point. I had daddy issues which turned into man issues and am now working on my issues so I can break the cycle. I think what happens is that if women have never had a positive relationship with a man then they don't know to expect any better, and also don't know the warning signs of ill treatment. That's what happened in my case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

thats pretty much the case. i think though if you're aware of your issues to the extent that you can tell where and when they're affecting you, you're halfway there. the rest is putting it in the past and focusing on the good experiences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"We are all fools in love" (Jane Austin).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PillyPen wrote: »
    Wow, that's an excellent point. I had daddy issues which turned into man issues and am now working on my issues so I can break the cycle. I think what happens is that if women have never had a positive relationship with a man then they don't know to expect any better, and also don't know the warning signs of ill treatment. That's what happened in my case anyway.
    Great point and one I would agree with completely. Every single woman I've known that has had a string of bad relationships it came down to the relationship with her father(or lack of it). If they do find a nice guy, they will even sabotage it as they don't quite believe that they deserve that, or it's uncomfortable as that's not what they're used to. If daddy left when they were young, they go for guys who will leave. Sometimes even forcing the guys hand so he will leave. Then her inner voice has just had "men always leave" confirmed. People would often rather be "right" than happy.

They try to repair the relationship with their dad in the present that they couldn't fix when they were kids. To do that they actively seek out the kind of man who is similar to their father. It's not always obvious though. To someone like that I would say; if you have a string of bad guys behind you, be very very careful if you feel strong chemistry with a new guy. 99 times out of 100, that chemistry is coming from him plugging into those bad parts of your male "template".

I would also say that women do this far more than men do. I've known men with mothers who were abusive and they've tended to avoid that type like the plague. They may be suspicious of women, yes, but going for a string of unhealthy women? Not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This scenario always bewilders me even though I have a history myself of attracting/being attracted to BAD BOYS!! And as wibbs says we almost sabotage it so when it goes wrong its 'almost' a relief - Yeh, see men are all bastards!

Some people thrive on this though, its like they relish the ups and downs in relationships and its more than likely contrived by them a lot of the time.

I have a friend who has gone out with an astonishing amount of nutters.. I mean real weirdo's.. And when it ends she's like 'your not going to believe what he did........ Im thinking yeh but on the first date when he bailed on you, did that not give you a slight hint that he was a tad odd:rolleyes:

She's just met another one from an Ad in the paper:confused:

The point being, she seems to like this kind of relationship..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

sometimes i wish i were a bad boy/oddball....from reading these threads it would mean a lot more action!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

my mum's mate came to stay in our local caravan park when i was 16 with some of her kids. her son came with her to our house when they first arrived. he was gorgeous. was with him a few days later just before they left. we met up a few times over the next year or two. when our mothers got together. i asked him to my debs and wasn't with him as he had a girlfriend and he wouldn't be with me as i was still pining for my ex at one of the times we met up.

didn't see him for 4 years later and again an instant attraction. we got on so well. told him i was moving to dub and he rang me the day i moved up (just as i was getting off the dart with all my heavy bags) think we spent an hour on the phone that night talking of everything. we got together next time we met up. we were together for bout a month and then he went all cold on me so didn't hear from him for another year. he rang me up saying he had just seen a friend get married and just buried another in a matter of 2 days. so we met up again and started seeing him again. again it didn't work out for long. at the bar when we did get back the 2nd time a stranger thought we were together when we weren't. we started hanging out as mates then as i was seeing someone but he always told me how he felt about when the timing was completly wrong or he was drinking. the last chance we had of being together i finally felt this amazing chemisty. my ex who i was seeing at the time walked into the room and could tell there was something between us when we were obviously not with each other and even the guys mate thought we were perfect together.

i finally decided to take the bull by the horns when it came up to our 10 year of knowing each other but am afraid he got in first and broke the news to me that he got his girlfriend pregnant. i finally realised i loved him but it was too late. i was broken hearted. when i got out of the restaurant i rang my best friend and was crying so hard she really thought someone in my family was seriously hurt or even died.

now because of him i don't believe in love at first sight or even soulmates

Advertisement