Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Breweries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Looks nice and murky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Looks like peach juice, I want!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Looks like peach juice
    Tastes like grapefruit juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Excellent, looking forward to trying this. €4 a pint is awesome, €3.50 with the beoir vouchers! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How much is it in the Galway pubs?

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Tastes like grapefruit juice.

Good, I like grapefruit juice! Any other impressions? Is it thin/do you notice the low abv in the flavour?

Is it thin/do you notice the low abv in the flavour?
    I'd say yes on both. It's enjoyable but it's no Graffiti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Has anyone else gone off Buried at Sea? It just becomes a bit sickly sweet, in my opinion.
    Stormy Port on the other hand, has become my favourite Irish porter/stout on tap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Has anyone else gone off Buried at Sea? It just becomes a bit sickly sweet, in my opinion.

I had a touch of this last time I had a bottle of it. When I buy it I often go for a half-pint. As milk stouts go, Left Hand is still king for me.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd say yes on both. It's enjoyable but it's no Graffiti.

Boo-urns. Yeah Graffiti was something special alright, hope they bring it back soon.

Still look forward to trying the table beer though, is it available in ATG or Alfie Byrnes do you know?

• Advertisement

Not a clue. I'm sure it will be at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

And the collaborative brew is an. Oat IPA brewed in collaboration with Begyle Brewing Co. from Chicago.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Seaneh wrote: »
    And the collaborative brew is an. Oat IPA brewed in collaboration with Begyle Brewing Co. from Chicago.

Interesting.
    The pole dancing should add some extra mouth feel (via @thebeernut)

BrsO0byCMAEIG4Z.jpg

Seaneh wrote: »

Interesting.

Well, Begyle's is the least informative website I've ever come across...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I would be one who criticizes the price of Galway Bay Brewery owned bar pints but was in Alfie Byrnes last week and had a pint of 8 degrees ole ole wit bier for €4.90. I see on twitter that the Bull and Castle are doing it for €5.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

The Table Beer @ €4 a pint is cracking value (even better with your Beoir 50c token!)
    Its so full of flavour for a light abv beer.
    Little thin, but to be expected, lovely aroma.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

sofireland wrote: »
    The Table Beer @ €4 a pint is cracking value (even better with your Beoir 50c token!)
    Its so full of flavour for a light abv beer.
    Little thin, but to be expected, lovely aroma.

I've had this and have to admit I did like it and at €4 a pint is good value. I hope they keep it up. The Galway Bay pubs in Dublin have an odd pricing structure. Their own bottle range in extortionate in their own pubs. The fact that you can buy them in a non Galway Bay pub at a lower price is testament to that oddness.

Another issue I have found in the pubs is the quality of the cask,even with their own beers it can be woeful. Against the grain is probably the biggest culprit here. The brew dock being the best in my view. The black sheep is generally good but sometimes it's just bad. I've started to ask for tasters before I commit even if I know and drink that beer regularly. I find it strange that they can't keep the quality high being as they are pro beer pubs,I've had better cask in the palace in temple bar. My days darkened when Kavanaghs on Dorset street closed,by far at that time the best quality cask around.

Apologies for the cask rant:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I think its to do with their mark ups on the bottles, i'd never advocate buying bottles in there unless its something extremely rare you won't get else where or in an offy.

Yeah the Brew Dock seem to manage the casks very well, they have a good turnover which helps, and they do push it. They've had one or two though that haven't been settled properly. But in the main I enjoy the casks. Always ask for a sample to help make up your mind.

Its more to do when unfamiliarity with cask cellaring than anything else, Declan from Kavanaghs was great at looking after their stuff. All of it now in L Mulligans.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My local Mace have a small stock of Bay Ale and Full Sail at the moment. Didn't expect to see them move beyond Erdinger and Hobgoblin! I'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There's a spar on Parliament street (Dublin) that has an excellent range down the back, including GB beers in bottles. More expensive than drinkstore but great to see them there.

• Advertisement

Spar in Phibsboro has a great range of Irish craft beers at the moment, including Galway Bay stuff. I was quite shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Less, less than impressed with AB's

It's "Alfie Byrne's" By Galway Bay Breweries.

Alarm bells from the start tbh.

no Table Beer.

There was some tap with "mare incognito" - none either.

Was refused a Beoir voucher on Full Sail but I asked for clarification then it was accepted.

There's no actual GBB branding.

In my mind it's not a GBB pub, it's an imitation.

Poor experience, won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's got GBB staff in it though. I'm surprised about the voucher. I've never had any issues in the past.
    Good point about the branding. I hadn't noticed that.

To be honest, I think it's alright. It's not as good as the Black Sheep but it's certainly better than most other pubs in the general area and a monumental improvement on what was there previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

In my mind it's not a GBB pub, it's an imitation.
    Its in the Conrad Hilton, its not going to be the same as a dive bar across the road from a train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's one of the better GBB pubs in Dublin. Mostly always quiet and never any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It doesnt have nearly as large a range as ATG or Brewdock though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

drumswan wrote: »
    It doesnt have nearly as large a range as ATG or Brewdock though.

Easily my least favorite of their bars.

And it always has Flying Dog's K9 Winter Ale on... What's that all about ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was in SaltHouse for first time in a while lastnight, tried the White Gypsy Summer Ale which was lovely and 8degrees Full Irish which i surprisingly enjoyed as im not much of an IPA person. One thing which was annoying though was that at least 8 if not more of the beers on tap werent available including the Table beer which i wanted to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Squeaky Bum time for the Black Sheep.

"JD Wetherspoon sets sights on historic Dublin building; the group is now seeking a site in the city centre and is understood to be interested in acquiring the Church bar".

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/jd-wetherspoon-sets-sights-on-historic-dublin-building-1.1885376

Could it be some possible Karma for the price gouging?

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That'd be a great spot for one. Serious competition for the Black Sheep if they do open up there.

Advertisement