Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women Drivers!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Morgase wrote: »
    Heh I've just had this discussion with one of the lads, I always used 4H cause I didn't know the difference between 4H and 4L. I should've at least tried using the 4L :o

4L is for when the going gets tough! In some 4x4's 4L also locks the differentials, so don't use this on the road. Sometimes there's a different button or lever for the diff's, but there's usually a light to indicate that the diffs are locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Dudess wrote: »
    Why? And why is it bothering you at all?

Edit: that looks really aggressive - sorry! :o:

But what I mean is, why would you feel ashamed or embarrassed or bothered? Jeez, you've no need to be. Don't be caving into the "women driver" bullsh1t at all! :)

I know this sounds a bit mad, but sometimes it's so difficult in this building environment to get taken seriously as a woman, and then when I had to get a bunch of men to help me out of the mud, I felt a bit silly! I know there is no rational train of thought there but the brain is an odd thing sometimes. Funny thing is that everyone else seems to have forgotten it already! :D
    Biro wrote: »
    4L is for when the going gets tough! In some 4x4's 4L also locks the differentials, so don't use this on the road. Sometimes there's a different button or lever for the diff's, but there's usually a light to indicate that the diffs are locked.

Ah right, I see. I wish I had found this out ages ago instead of been given a set of keys and told to go and drive the monster truck (well it looked like one to me when I first saw it!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ellebelle

Don't worry about it... let them know its not a big deal for you ... but the tomato red face might have betrayed you already.

I once with out with a guy who, i kid you not, took out a manual to learn how to change the tyre on his car. I was horrified and it was about then that i knew our relationship was not going to work.

I also had to jump and guy once... or i should really re-phrase, i had to jump his car, much to the amusement of one or two on lookers.

Us women drivers..... WE RULE... (well some of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Was parking in college before and as usual the carpark would be full so people would park everywhere and anywhere. I found a spot that meant I'd to drive the car up on a 6inch path. What I didn't know was that there only air on the otherside of the path meaning my axel was stuck to the path ie the wheel turned but the axel would scrape along the path. To make matters worse it was in front of one the smoking areas meaning lots of people could take the piss out of me:rolleyes: Frantically tried to move the thing with no luck, ended up texting one of the lads in class to get 6 of the biggest feckers going to lift the car off the path to a loud cheer from the smoking area:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Ah could happen to anyone OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Morgase wrote: »
    I know this sounds a bit mad, but sometimes it's so difficult in this building environment to get taken seriously as a woman, and then when I had to get a bunch of men to help me out of the mud, I felt a bit silly! I know there is no rational train of thought there but the brain is an odd thing sometimes.
    Yeah, true. I've heard construction sites can be sh1tty enough work environments for women.
    Still though, you should have been shown how to deal with this problem if it arose. You can't exactly have been expected to just know, seeing as it's not something that comes up very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Don't worry OP, I backed into a wall with my boss sitting in the seat next to me.... demolished the wall AND my back bumper.....MORTIFYING!!!

First and only thing I've ever reversed into. In my defence it was a very low wall which was in quite a random place in a filling station that was in the process of being extended.

Still cringe at the thought!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was at lunch with a mate from work today who told me about the conversation he had on the phone with his wife the other day.

Wife: The car's just stopped on me.
    Mate: Just stopped? But it was only serviced yesterday.
    Wife: I know, but I was driving along and it just ground to a halt and I can't start it.
    Mate: Just like that? No warning?
    Wife: Well the fuel light came on just before it stopped.
    Mate: Just before? Where are you now?
    Wife: Malahide
    Mate: And how long ago was it that the light came on.
    Wife: Monaghan.
    Mate: I think I know what the problem is...

Advertisement