Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read angels and demons by dan brown. it's a grand pulpy plotline, but by god, the writing and the details would have had me marked down to D- if i was writing creative essays in school when i was 14.
    he throws in a mach 17 plane which is owned by CERN almost on the first page. the plot does not need it, and there's no reason for it being there, other than that he obviously thinks it's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

A History of Western Philosophy: Bertrand Russell
    Thomas Paine age of reason, and Common Sense.
    listening and reading all the writings of Robert Ingersoll
    Subscription to New Scientist, and just starting subscription to Nature magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

i dunno. if you gave me two hundred quid to read it...
    probably wouldn't take more than a few hours, and you'd be able to buy a couple of dozen books with the money.

I dunno. Sitting here thinking about if someone said that I had to read The Davinci Code or hammer a nail through my hand.... I honestly can't decide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Da Vinci code was a generic page-turner with a mildly controversial conclusion. I hold no animosity toward it.

It probably prompted a lot more people to actually pick up a book than a decade of Booker prize-winners did. Maybe some of them even went on to read other books. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dades wrote: »
    The Da Vinci code was a generic page-turner with a mildly controversial conclusion. I hold no animosity toward it.

It probably prompted a lot more people to actually pick up a book than a decade of Booker prize-winners did. Maybe some of them even went on to read other books. :)

Yeah didn't think it was that bad at all. Reading more than one Dan Browne book you quickly realise they're all done to a fairly obvious formula but having not read any of his other stuff previously I found DVC quite engrossing, clever and certainly no more poorly written than a lot of the fantasy novels people seem to ZOMG over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

This is true:-) I have a friend who never read a book between her school years and the Da Vinci Code and I've since caught her reading "A short history of tractors in Ukrainian" by Marina Lewycka (which is a good read).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Brought my kindle loaded with stuff and one physical book with me on hols and only finished the physical book which was The Honourable Schoolboy by Le Carre. I've been going through all of the books that feature Smiley and thoroughly enjoying them. Not done much reading since unfortunately so the only solution is longer holidays next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

mewso wrote: »
    Brought my kindle loaded with stuff and one physical book with me on hols and only finished the physical book which was The Honourable Schoolboy by Le Carre. I've been going through all of the books that feature Smiley and thoroughly enjoying them. Not done much reading since unfortunately so the only solution is longer holidays next year :)

I was very opposed to the whole idea of the kindle - but what about the paper smell, the physicality, the weight of a book in ones hand I wailed...then I got one from OH for Xmas. It was, she freely admits, one of those presents that benefit the giver - in her case it was because we take my grandkids camping every July and I keep her awake at night juggling book and torch and fill the tent with my holiday books and bitch when they get damp....

I brought the whole Artemis Fowl series on holidays with me - on the kindle- I also discovered our tent is quite spacious but this may be a coincidence...

My mother was horrified by the Kindle - she is now reading books on the iPad my brother bought her.

But - there are some books that I insist on having in hard copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    there are some books that I insist on having in hard copy.

I find that some books are simply too pivotal to just have digitally, there is something comforting to have them on a shelf, plus a book does not have a battery life. I use my phone to read some books but its not a large screen so it takes a lot of scrolling which gets old. Still worth it in a queue or at a bus stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was very opposed to the whole idea of the kindle - but what about the paper smell, the physicality, the weight of a book in ones hand I wailed...then I got one from OH for Xmas. It was, she freely admits, one of those presents that benefit the giver - in her case it was because we take my grandkids camping every July and I keep her awake at night juggling book and torch and fill the tent with my holiday books and bitch when they get damp....

I brought the whole Artemis Fowl series on holidays with me - on the kindle- I also discovered our tent is quite spacious but this may be a coincidence...

My mother was horrified by the Kindle - she is now reading books on the iPad my brother bought her.

But - there are some books that I insist on having in hard copy.

I look forward to having a study with wall to wall bookcases at some point. Plenty of dark wood, leather and a fire place somewhere. It'd all look a little bare with only a kindle on a desk.

It's kinda like the quote I've seen attributed to John Waters (of directing, homosexuality and pencil moustache fame) "If you go back to someones place and they don't have books, don't **** them".

How will we know who to not **** in the future?:pac:

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I look forward to having a study with wall to wall bookcases at some point. Plenty of dark wood, leather and a fire place somewhere. It'd all look a little bare with only a kindle on a desk.

It's kinda like the quote I've seen attributed to John Waters (of directing, homosexuality and pencil moustache fame) "If you go back to someones place and they don't have books, don't **** them".

How will we know who to not **** in the future?:pac:

I must confess I have the book lined study with desk (no leather chairs or fireplace as it's the box bedroom) containing a sofa that is also stacked with books...and a book lined bedroom which used to have a locker stacked with books but now I have a book pile which contains a locker somewhere in it's innards...and a book lined wall in the dining room...I am negotiating for a book lined bathroom but not holding out much hope :(

I think it's obvious why OH bought me a kindle. It's because she saw that JW quote too. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gbear wrote: »

Don't forget the Chesterfield and glass of scotch on the side table. :)

If I did my reading with a glass of something beside the fireplace, I'd read a book.

As it is, though, I'd get back strain carting something like "A Dance with Dragons" in and out of work every day. Also, try reading a large hardback while standing in a jammed DART during rush hour.

No, they may not smell as good, but Kindles have their uses. I've the paperwhite version on my Christmas Festivus list. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've gone for a bit of escapism recently and read Misadventures in the Middle East: Travels as Tramp, Artist and Spy. I enjoyed it. I read a lot of travel writing and this was engaging, funny and interesting.

I've just started One Steppe Beyond: Across Russia in a VW Camper and, upon first impression, it will not be as gripping as above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't have a kindle, simply because if i want to read on public transport, with the option of meeting someone for a pint in town after work, i can't sling the kindle in a corner and not worry unduly about it being stolen or someone spilling a pint on it.

plus, i don't like being spied on.

I love my kindle, however, not only is the kindle awesome, but the cloud service amazon offer along with it is brilliant! I only bring my kindle to work if I'm getting the bus, so I can read it on the bus, but if I drive then I leave the kindle at home as I can just read whatever I'm reading at my desk on my PC. Super!

I've finally finished War and Peace, ended up skimming the end as is got fairly feckin' tedious!! As it was such a weighty tome, I'm going stick with something short next, so will probably read Mortality by Hitchens, really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

[...] You recommended his stuff to me on the SF Forum book thread on Boards [...]

What - there's an SF forum on boards?

*Smacks forehead, runs off to check it out *

i don't have a kindle, simply because if i want to read on public transport, with the option of meeting someone for a pint in town after work, i can't sling the kindle in a corner and not worry unduly about it being stolen or someone spilling a pint on it.

I have a kindle but only because it was bought for me, otherwise I would've gone with one of the cheaper e-readers because I don't use Amazon to buy books in the first place. Even with a Kindle though it's simple to not get spied on, just turn off the whiffy. :)

But you're much more likely to get spied reading Fifty Shades of Grey with the paperback in your hand. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I have a kindle love it to bits, don't really care about the lack of privacy to be honest. :D

The innocent have nothing to fear!

The innocent have nothing to fear!

I always make sure I have a few very serious history books and even a couple of primary sources on there in case 'they' think all I read is books involving swords, dragons, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels....

.....actually, now that I think about it the serious history books are all about swords, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels with a hint of 'here be yt dragans'.....

Guess that is all I read....:o

Finished off Mortality by Hitchens, a little disappointed to find that some of it was taken from articles I'd already read online. But can't really complain overall, it's good to get an insight into his final months/days.

I think I'll delve into some Sci-Fi next (a genre of literature I'm not crazy about), so am going to start on Ender's Game this evening. I can't really argue with 2528 five star ratings on Amazon.

Finished off Mortality by Hitchens, a little disappointed to find that some of it was taken from articles I'd already read online. But can't really complain overall, it's good to get an insight into his final months/days.

I think I'll delve into some Sci-Fi next (a genre of literature I'm not crazy about), so am going to start on Ender's Game this evening. I can't really argue with 2528 five star ratings on Amazon.

Ender's Game is FANTASTIC!!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »

Does it by any chance contain swords, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels...and a dragon or two????

Does it by any chance contain swords, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels...and a dragon or two????
    You need Tim Powers (see earlier)!

I think you might really enjoy The Drawing of the Dark. :)

kylith wrote: »
    Well, over a third of the way through and so far I don't disagree with you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Currently reading "God, No" cause I like me some Penn Jillette. Got about 5 other books piled up on the kindle app for afters; One of which is on the amazing Nikola Tesla. Anyone who doesn't know much about him go check out the oatmeal comic (and anyone that doesn't know who oatmeal is either, you sicken me) but...
    But you're much more likely to get spied reading Fifty Shades of Grey with the paperback in your hand. :)

How any guy can not see the benefits of reading a book that is basically a manual in what a lot of (I'm not saying all y'all!) women are turned on by seems odd to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How any guy can not see the benefits of reading a book that is basically a manual in what a lot of (I'm not saying all y'all!) women are turned on by seems odd to me.

Because we don't intend to date women who want to be repressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

1984 by Mr Orwell, just picked up from the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jernal wrote: »
    Because we don't intend to date women who want to be repressed.

To be fair I haven't read it yet but its always interesting to see what piques the opposite genders interests. I reserve full right to be disgusted after reading as much as I can :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    1984 by Mr Orwell, just picked up from the library.

I went through a big Orwell phase years back, read and reread everything I could get my hands on by him.

I didn't particularly like most of his novels (A Clergyman's Daughter put years on me, in particular), but I really enjoyed most of his other work. I picked up his Collected Essays again there recently, and wow, I had forgotten what a good writer he was.

I had an interesting conversation with a former student about 1984. After reading it, she said (in awe, I might add) that Orwell understood China. No higher praise can I think of...! :)

started survivors by richard fortey this morning. he's consistently good.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Funny enough a lot of it is pretty tame or else just odd. I said on AH that any woman who got ideas from the book wouldn't be someone I'd be interested in as they would be pretty damn boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Just finished the latest Ross O'Carroll Kelly - best yet.

And a Spencer "Painted Ladies" novel by Robt B Parker that I missed out on - great and I've ordered two his Westerns from The Book Depository. "Appaloosa" is his best and a great film.

Half-way through Beginners Guide to Marx and though it might spoil the ending for others - he appears to have got it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well, over a third of the way through and so far I don't disagree with you! :)

Good stuff, the endorsements here plus a glance at the blurb about it on Goodreads have propelled this to the top of my list.

FWIW, about half way through The Name of the Wind and have to say it's really terrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Heading down to the bookshop to pick up my long awaited copy of "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin. Spending the day under the duvet with it and a pot of coffee.

Received my delivery of John Dies at the End and The Fifty Year Sword today. Started JDATE and it seems pretty good so far, but am saving TFYS for the long weekend because I want to read that in one uninterrupted block.

Had a nice chat with the man in the An Post depot too. Turns out he's a big reader, though generally of more mainstream stuff. I, as always, recommended Danielowski with 'He's brilliant! I'd tell you what his books are about, but I have no idea myself'.

• Advertisement

Ender's Game is brilliant. Even if its author was a scary mormon :)

eviltwin wrote: »
    Heading down to the bookshop to pick up my long awaited copy of "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin. Spending the day under the duvet with it and a pot of coffee.
    I quite enjoyed The Passage, though it suffered badly in some places from lack of a good editor. Might give The Twelve a chance at some point.

What I wouldn't give for a day under the duvet with a good book!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

On a bit of a fantasy binge at the moment. Read the A Song of Ice & Fire series by George R. R. Martin and The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb over the last few months. Brilliant stuff all round.

Read The Hunger Games Trilogy by Susan Collins last week. Surprisingly good I have to say.

Going back to Robin Hobb now and just started The Liveship Traders trilogy yesterday, seems great so far.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    On a bit of a fantasy binge at the moment. Read the A Song of Ice & Fire series by George R. R. Martin and The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb over the last few months. Brilliant stuff all round.

Read The Hunger Games Trilogy by Susan Collins last week. Surprisingly good I have to say.

Going back to Robin Hobb now and just started The Liveship Traders trilogy yesterday, seems great so far.

I enjoyed Robin Hobbs - might go back and have a re-read.

Yeah, she's brill
    Her and kate elliott and katharine kerr.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, she's brill

*googles Kate Elliot and Katherine Kerr*

Ohhhhhhh.....adds to list.

Ignores urge to raise bluewolf's brill by an amazeballs....

Has anyone read Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid?

I got my copy in the post today, it looks absolutely fascinating, here's a brief synopsis...
    Douglas Hofstadter’s book is concerned directly with the nature of “maps” or links between formal systems. However, according to Hofstadter, the formal system that underlies all mental activity transcends the system that supports it. If life can grow out of the formal chemical substrate of the cell, if consciousness can emerge out of a formal system of firing neurons, then so too will computers attain human intelligence. Gödel Escher and Bach is a wonderful exploration of fascinating ideas at the heart of cognitive science: meaning, reduction, recursion, and much more.

i have tried to read it. put it away for a future attempt.

Yeah I was going to read it after what I'm currently reading, but I'm not quite ready for it. I'll save it for when I'm really in the mood, otherwise I'll never get through it. It's also a bit more text-booky than I was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, she's brill

Robin Hobb I have read.
    But not those two.

What book would you recommend first?

Advertisement