Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Hitchroun wrote: »
    As there seems to be a fair deal of confusion regarding allowances I have decided to try and clear the matter up a bit.

After some digging I have located a document made available by the GRA with various information regarding allowances for new entrants. It is noted on the site as "Outcome of the Review of Allowances", it is dated near the end of 2012. I would say this would be the most reliable source in regards to the allowances for new entrants so far discussed in this thread. If someone has a document available that is more update to date on the matter please let me know.

I would assume it has gone mostly unnoticed as there have not been any new entrants to apply these new allowances to until recently. Below are the details.

Abolished:
    Rent Allowance
    Clerical Allowance
    Safety Advisor Allowance
    Promotion Exam Grant
    Analyst
    Motor Tech
    Change Management Allowance
    Radio Allowance
    Locomotion Allowances
    Bicycle Allowance
    Transport Allowance
    Exam Bonus-Inspector

Approved, but subject to review and/or Modification:
    Court Presenter
    Non-Public Duty
    Reward

Approved:
    Detective Allowance
    Ministers Pool
    Instructors Allowance
    Scene of Crime Allowance
    Juvenile Liaison/Community Relations/Crime Prevention
    Immigration Allowances
    Air Support Unit Allowance
    Collator Allowance
    Welfare Officer
    Dog Handler
    Living Allowance(Recruit)
    Water Unit
    Public Holiday
    Expert Allowance
    Boot Allowance
    Plain Clothes Allowance
    Uniform Cleaning Allowance

I hope this clears things up for some people on here.

Fareplay hitchroun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

As there seems to be a fair deal of confusion regarding allowances I have decided to try and clear the matter up a bit.
    Fair play on the concise list but I have to stress, that was just the outcome to a review.
    Very little of what that document recommended has actually come into being.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

Fair play on the concise list but I have to stress, that was just the outcome to a review.
    Very little of what that document recommended has actually come into being.

I agree, but at the very least it would imply that the allowances that have been approved in my previous post will be kept. I would think we won't know a great deal regarding allowances and other details such as pension changes until the new recruits sign their contracts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The majority of those allowance will be of no interest to new recruits/student Garda. What the new recruit/student Garda should know is
    1. Basic pay
    2. Rate paid for night duty hours
    3. Rate paid for working a rostered Sunday, Saturday and Public Holiday
    4. Rate paid for working overtime on a weekday and on a Sunday/Pubic holiday
    5. Rent allowance (if still applicable)
    6. Wage increments schedule. Will you be entitled to a rise in accordance with your service and at what rate? An increment will mean a rise in the amount received for night duty etc. so every little helps!

If you have full knowledge of these you will have a fair idea of what can be earned in a year. You can do your budget and see is joining up a financially attractive proposition.

Don't bother factoring in overtime as this is not guaranteed and many Gardaí don't ever see an hours overtime.

Work out basic pay plus the night duty/Sunday/Public holiday allowance to get a true figure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I agree, but at the very least it would imply that the allowances that have been approved in my previous post will be kept. I would think we won't know a great deal regarding allowances and other details such as pension changes until the new recruits sign their contracts.

Well take RA for example.
    It'd be a huge chunk of a Gardas weekly wage, and taking it from new recruits while expecting them to walk the beat with Gardaí who do have it could be setting up a serious legal issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

How did they get away with cutting rent allowance along with a 23k starting salary dropped from 27k.It must have happened on the low as this week is the first Ive heard of this. :mad:

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The majority of those allowance will be of no interest to new recruits/student Garda. What the new recruit/student Garda should know is
    1. Basic pay
    2. Rate paid for night duty hours
    3. Rate paid for working a rostered Sunday, Saturday and Public Holiday
    4. Rate paid for working overtime on a weekday and on a Sunday/Pubic holiday
    5. Rent allowance (if still applicable)
    6. Wage increments schedule. Will you be entitled to a rise in accordance with your service and at what rate? An increment will mean a rise in the amount received for night duty etc. so every little helps!

If you have full knowledge of these you will have a fair idea of what can be earned in a year. You can do your budget and see is joining up a financially attractive proposition.

Don't bother factoring in overtime as this is not guaranteed and many Gardaí don't ever see an hours overtime.

Work out basic pay plus the night duty/Sunday/Public holiday allowance to get a true figure

How well are night duty/Sunday/public holidays shifts distributed? Is it completely random or is there an effort made to ensure everyone gets roughly the same amount of these special shifts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Well take RA for example.
    It'd be a huge chunk of a Gardas weekly wage, and taking it from new recruits while expecting them to walk the beat with Gardaí who do have it could be setting up a serious legal issue.

What legal issue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

Hey everyone,
    Just a step away from the poor pay conversation for a moment. I'm not applying this time around because I'm travelling/living abroad and right now doesn't suit. I'm confused about a few things on the application process. To those who have submitted their applications:
    1. Was it a basic application (name, address etc) or did you have to put the effort in as this is your moment to shine?
    2. Do they initially start rejecting people from the application or after the online psychometric testing?

Also, anyone have a copy of the questions on the application form to share if possible?

Best of luck to those applying this time.

Go raibh maith agat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Galway1987 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Just a step away from the poor pay conversation for a moment. I'm not applying this time around because I'm travelling/living abroad and right now doesn't suit. I'm confused about a few things on the application process. To those who have submitted their applications:
    1. Was it a basic application (name, address etc) or did you have to put the effort in as this is your moment to shine?
    2. Do they initially start rejecting people from the application or after the online psychometric testing?

Also, anyone have a copy of the questions on the application form to share if possible?

Best of luck to those applying this time.

Go raibh maith agat!

They only start to cull applicants after online aptitude tests. Application form was v straightforward. DOB address etc plus two q's. 'Have you ever been an attested Garda reserve?' And 'tick here if you speak irish fluently'

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Irish Independent 12th Dec 2013 Statement from Garda Commissioner

There are currently 1,290 Garda reserves, including 1,107 fully attested and 183 in training.

"I think it's a natural assumption to make that the reserves will have a certain advantage," he said.

"After all they have received initial training here, they have been working with colleagues on the force.

"I think any interview board will take that in to account when dealing with these people."

Straight from the TOP MANS mouth been a Reserve will be deemed an advantage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

How well are night duty/Sunday/public holidays shifts distributed? Is it completely random or is there an effort made to ensure everyone gets roughly the same amount of these special shifts?

Each Garda is allocated to a Unit. They will have equal amount of night duty, Saturdays and Sundays. The number of Public Holidays you get may differ depending on the way the roster is laid out.
    Overtime is different as it depends on local requirements. Many Gardaí get no overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Raider190 wrote: »

There are currently 1,290 Garda reserves, including 1,107 fully attested and 183 in training.

"I think it's a natural assumption to make that the reserves will have a certain advantage," he said.

"After all they have received initial training here, they have been working with colleagues on the force.

"I think any interview board will take that in to account when dealing with these people."

I thought you gave up this sh!t.
    At this stage it looks like you're just looking for someone to reassure you...

Reading over these entire forums It appears the topic has been discussed at length.

I think it's been accepted that it's obvious people will be able to use it in the interview to their advantage, along with rdf, civil defence, St johns and other voluntary organisations, assuming they get that far.

I think it's also been accepted that all that info you got from "your experience" isn't too reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

this doesn't need to be discussed again. also wait until you and all the other reserves get an interview before you get on your high horses. it will be a handy percentage of ye. A dose of reality is on its way to the reserve parish:P until then ye can reassure each other in the reserve forum!

mfergus wrote: »

Reading over these entire forums It appears the topic has been discussed at length.

I think it's been accepted that it's obvious people will be able to use it in the interview to their advantage, along with rdf, civil defence, St johns and other voluntary organisations, assuming they get that far.

I think it's also been accepted that all that info you got from "your experience" isn't too reliable.

It's sad that you react this way but understandable and who are you to dictate what is discussed. Are you seriously comparing rdf , civil defence etc with the reserve. As for my experience if you were really committed to joining you would have done something about it and sitting in your dark room banging on your laptop does not count

thekopend wrote: »
    this doesn't need to be discussed again. also wait until you and all the other reserves get an interview before you get on your high horses. it will be a handy percentage of ye. A dose of reality is on its way to the reserve parish:P until then ye can reassure each other in the reserve forum!

The dim cry of a poster who knows that experience will count when it comes to an interview and for all your crabby comments and put downs there at least a thousand reserves applying who have the advantage because they got off their bums and did something to better their chances

Good luck to all who apply

mfergus wrote: »

Why don't you stick to giving advice about fighting alsatian dogs and let us get on about discussing the important issues here

Have you now become a mod if not I can post in whichever forum I choose and as for reality I think it's coming more your way than mine

Devil08 wrote: »
    Please read and please sign. I will be emailing this to all TDs in the country today. About time someone stood up for themselves.

http://www.activism.com/en_IE/petition/better-conditions-for-new-garda-recruits/47596

This poster can't be serious it has to be a joke?????????

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Each Garda is allocated to a Unit. They will have equal amount of night duty, Saturdays and Sundays. The number of Public Holidays you get may differ depending on the way the roster is laid out.
    Overtime is different as it depends on local requirements. Many Gardaí get no overtime

Thanks for the information, thats good to hear. I can only imagine the salary varies quite a bit from member to member.

Oh and in regards to the reserves... I would imagine any good conduct and worthwhile experience would be advantageous while in the GR?

ps: Good jaysus Raider could yeah not just edit your first post?

• Advertisement

Why don't you stick to giving advice about fighting alsatian dogs and let us get on about discussing the important issues here

Touche.

So tell us more about your experiences...
    This time try give facts that are actually correct.

Also have another skim through my previous posts. There's even more stupid ones than the one about fighting dogs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Are you a reserve raider? If you are then now I know why reserves get a bad rap. They must let anyone into the reserve

Devil08 wrote: »
    Are you a reserve raider? If you are then now I know why reserves get a bad rap. They must let anyone into the reserve

I think he may have mentioned he was, somewhere :/

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

I've just had a quick read of this thread and if there is one person that is not suitable to be a Garda it's you Mr Raider 190 by a country mile!

The dim cry of a poster who knows that experience will count when it comes to an interview and for all your crabby comments and put downs there at least a thousand reserves applying who have the advantage because they got off their bums and did something to better their chances

Good luck to all who apply

I never said experience wouldn't count did I. I said that you and your 1000 (or whatever it is) other comrades have to do an aptitude againsed possibly 20,000 other people and get in the top end to get a chance at an interview for 300 places. There will be a lot of smart people doing these tests, even smarter than you would you believe it. So go practise. Because if you don't get a good result, all your 'experience' means jack s***. So get over your ego.

Shady Tady wrote: »
    I've just had a quick read of this thread and if there is one person that is not suitable to be a Garda it's you Mr Raider 190 by a country mile!

That's your opinion and your welcome to it but if it was a qualified one it would be of some value but as you have are not qualified in any way it means little

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Shady Tady wrote: »

well hes out there doing the work lads

Jesus, they really do take on anyone. Best of luck to you, please let us know how u get on, if you get on :)

Scouser wrote: »
    well hes out there doing the work lads

I'm sure he looks lovely in the uniform

• Advertisement

I never said experience wouldn't count did I. I said that you and your 1000 (or whatever it is) other comrades have to do an aptitude againsed possibly 20,000 other people and get in the top end to get a chance at an interview for 300 places. There will be a lot of smart people doing these tests, even smarter than you would you believe it. So go practise. Because if you don't get a good result, all your 'experience' means jack s***. So get over your ego.

So if a candidate is smart holds a degree a masters degree and say 4. Years Garda reserve experience and spent the last two years designing hr related aptitude testing systems then the chances of success are good

Advertisement