Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dearly departed....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Good grief! George Cole NUDE! :eek:

So now, tell me please JB, ( per my postie above )

"Who could ever forget Blott on the Landscape" ?

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Confession time........don't remember ever seeing Blott! :o

Stephen Lewis a.k.a. Blakey, and Smiler. Aged 88.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Henning Mankell.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/oct/05/henning-mankell-wallender-author-dies-at-67

His Wallender books are a great read.
    RIP

Himself and I are Wallender fans. Great series with Kenneth Brannagh. I believe they made another series with a different male lead but didn't manage to catch it. I will be keeping an eye out for it in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Howard Kendall ex Everton manager, described as the greatest Evertonian. Aged 69. A personal hero of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maureen O'Hara died aged 95. An iconic actress and in some great films but I was never a fan myself.

Warren Mitchell, aged 89, died 14th November, and Saeed Jaffrey aged 86, died 16th November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Jonah Lomu 40

I really got a shock when I heard this, never met the fella but he was a good egg by all accounts, and just 40, RIP.

Bit expected but still a big shock. RIP big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭cml387

Anthony Valentine (1939-2015)

Anyone of a certain age will remember BBC's classic series Colditz, where he played prototypical evil Nazi Major Mohn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Carol Burns, Australian actress, who played many parts, but probably best known for playing Frankie Doyle in 'Prisoner - Cell Block H' - following a short battle with cancer. R.I.P.

Jimmy Hill from 'Match of the Day' RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Lemmy, rock legend RIP

• Advertisement

Natalie Cole 65 (R & B singer, actress and daughter of Nat King Cole), heart failure.

Wesley Burrowes 85, Playwright.

Christy O'Connor jnr. RIP.
    An Irish golf hero long before McIlroy, Harrington, Lowry etc. and very entertaining to listen to in interviews.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2016/0106/758110-christy-oconnor-junior-passes-away/

I used to follow golf way back in Christy O'Connor Snr's time but haven't really been interested since then. I just heard that Snr is still with us at 91 years of age. Only thing I knew about Jnr was that he looked the image of his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Difficult to write this one.

David (Jones) Bowie.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

yes, definitely a shock...would rank in my top four, so to speak, when you consider Elvis, then, Freddie, then Michael, now David...

• Advertisement

William Del Monte, may not be very widely known but this middle aged man deserves a mention as he was the last known survivor of the San Francisco earthquake in 1906. He was 109, another direct link to the past evaporated...

Also

Zsa Zsa Gabor, (daaa-links) passed away Christmas eve....

Zsa Zsa Gabor, (daaa-links) passed away Christmas eve....
    Aww I missed that. Always enjoyed the Gabor sisters and their stranglehold on life, love and hedonism. Didn't George Sanders marry two of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

OldGoat wrote: »
    Difficult to write this one.

David (Jones) Bowie.

Must admit I was never a particular fan of his music, but his longevity and influence was remarkable. My uncle, was his chauffeur in the 70's he was driving him around when he was filming the ashes to ashes video

Bowie was not on my list of favourites either, but his music and videos are memorable. I honestly was terrified when I saw his recent video - that shot of him in the bed wrapped in bandages was the most horrific music video I have ever seen, and I never want to see it again.

I can't see a link for the announcement about Zsa Zsa. Are you sure she has left us?

I can't see a link for the announcement about Zsa Zsa. Are you sure she has left us?

I'm going to have to go look again, I did a quick search there but I can't locate my link, I'll check my history later and get a direct link to where I found the news.

I'm going to have to go look again, I did a quick search there but I can't locate my link, I'll check my history later and get a direct link to where I found the news.
    The Wikipedia (which is usually very quickly updated on stuff like this) still show her as alive. Hopefully in full physical and mental well-being. :)

Zsa Zsa's daughter died a year ago which might be the confusion. I saw a photo of dahling Zsa Zsa on Google images looking very elderly and frail. Don't like the way photos appear showing people really ill. I'm also thinking of poor old Amy Winehouse. Photographers seemed to have very easy access there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Alan Rickman R.I.P, aged 69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Alan Rickman has died, aged 69. RIP :(

The Wikipedia (which is usually very quickly updated on stuff like this) still show her as alive. Hopefully in full physical and mental well-being. :)
    Zsa Zsa's daughter died a year ago which might be the confusion. I saw a photo of dahling Zsa Zsa on Google images looking very elderly and frail. Don't like the way photos appear showing people really ill. I'm also thinking of poor old Amy Winehouse. Photographers seemed to have very easy access there too.

I can't find it at all now, I don't know how I got that wrong. I was reading an article about her run-in with cops in the ninety's and her bankruptcy in the ninety's and how she passed away on Christmas eve.....:eek:

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone now....

Sorry Folks....

I wish her long life and happiness...

• Advertisement

She's alive and something like 94 years old.

DeBurca wrote: »
    Alan Rickman R.I.P, aged 69

Great as an actor and he could play the bad guy with humour to a tee.

"I'll cut his heart out with a spoon"

"No more merciful beheadings .... cancel Christmas"

Another great has gone RIP Alan.

P.J Mara (73) Political Strategist.

(now that Charlie and himself are together again I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to resurrect Fianna Fail.......)

P.J Mara (73) Political Strategist.

(now that Charlie and himself are together again I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to resurrect Fianna Fail.......)
    I think Charlie and himself went in opposite directions. :)

I think Charlie and himself went in opposite directions. :)

Oh I doubt that. ;)

The country's oldest citizen has died at the age of 109.

Molly Madden, from Co Mayo, was born in 1906 and turned 109 in early December.

No celebrity, but she deserves a mention. A great age and, by media accounts, a lovely lady.

I have the same name as her. No, not Molly. I wonder if I have the same longevity in my genes.

Glenn Frey of the Eagles passed away today. RIP

Himself is a big Eagles fan, and I love their music too. Hard news to take in, so many since Christmas, gone.

• Advertisement

Sir Terry Wogan. R.I.P.

Frank Finlay 89, British actor,

http://www.frankfinlay.net/

Sir Terry Wogan. R.I.P.

Very saddened to learn that Terry has passed away. I always loved his programmes and style of presenting. We won't see his like again, he was the only presenter I actually looked forward to every day in the kitchen when the children had left for school. I went back to work in the 90's so missed his programme greatly. When I left work for the last time I looked forward to hearing his soft tones again only to learn that he was retiring and I was so disappointed. No-one else was interesting enough to turn the radio on for at that time.
    Frank Finlay 89, British actor,

http://www.frankfinlay.net/

Great actor. I remember him being in an early Blackadder as a witch hunter or some such. That was a surprising pleasure! Good fun.

Edit: just looked it up, Frank Finlay played The Witchsmeller Pursuivant in Blackadder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I enjoyed his irreverent approach to the Eurovision!

I met Terry and had a few drinks with him in 1987, near Shepard's Bush. He had just had Michael Palin as a guest and was very complimentary of him.

A gentleman, a truly good humoured and good natured man.

I became a TOG and corresponded with him from time to time.

He was unique.

There must be some big concert in the offing in Valhalla, the talent is still being called across....

Maurice White (74), songwriter and musician with Earth Wind and Fire.

Joe Dowell (76), singer (wooden heart), ironically Joe died because his heart wouldn't work any more.....

Joe Alaskey (63), voice actor for Luney Tunes, Casper, Rugrats.....

• Advertisement

And 18 years to the day since Dermot Morgan left us. :(:(

I think I will have a drink of tea to the great memories.

Sorry to hear George Kennedy is gone. There was a film I remember him in, dressed up as an ice-cream seller, but he was I think either a policeman or a gangster, usually a gangster mind, and he was on the trail of some guy, when a kid turned up to buy ice-cream but he didn't want to be bothered by this poor kid. No matter what Kennedy said, the kid wouldn't budge until he got his ice-cream. Eventually Kennedy completely lost it and told the kid to get lost but it was more along the lines of 'look kid, go XXXX a duck!' The kid's face was a picture. Can't remember the name of the film.

• Advertisement
Advertisement