Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Effects wrote: »
    What time was it stolen?
    What makes the bike specific? It's not a great photo, but is there any red lettering on the wheel rims?

Specific as in not many of them in Galway rom what I gather, stolen between 12 midday & 7pm, it has red handlebar plugs but one is missing, white shimano pedals the clip in type, few scrapes on the wheel rims down to the metal, quad lock adapter on the handle bar stem & a speedometer dock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Seems it has been recovered

Seems it has been recovered

excellent, I was hoping it was a bunch of bored scumbags who took it for a joyride and a laugh and dumped it. It would have been difficult to sell on.

https://twitter.com/broadstonefilms/status/1242905734372786181

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Garda looking for owners of recovered bikes again.

FB link only for the minute.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=559514684688368&id=318037998836039

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spotted on twitter - judging by the number of replies offering him bikes, i suspect he's sorted for now:

https://twitter.com/surgical_SHO/status/1250125630789824515

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

7DUwnDF.png

MXe1jhC.jpg

g96BOdF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

From my house night off 13/5/20, dublin 3 area.
    Metallic green, drop bars, no gears, clip on pedals, full-length mudguards, panniers. So any scummer riding it is going to stand out. Unfortunately don't have serial. Pic is of random similar bike, in similar condition with sort of the same accessories.
    Any sighting please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ouch, nasty, hope you recover.

Just to clarify, stolen from inside a locked house? Did you lose anything else? It's a sick feeling alright :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Ouch, nasty, hope you recover.

Just to clarify, stolen from inside a locked house? Did you lose anything else? It's a sick feeling alright :(

No, stolen from an unsecured shed in backyard. I suspect it wasn't opportunistic, for reasons can't go into.
    The annoying thing is they won't get buttons for the bike. And it's all the bits like panniers, bags, lights, pedals, mudguards that add up to the replacement cost.
    Had the bike for at 15 years I think, fupping love it.

Rotten luck alright. Small chance it will pop up somewhere, stay tuned to the Garda Twitter announcements, they seem to be turning over bikes frequently enough now.

Hopefully not a former housemate!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭bronkobilly

wat happens if are selling your new bike that has not been used and u get a call asking for the serial number of the bike should i give to them just curious ??

wat happens if are selling your new bike that has not been used and u get a call asking for the serial number of the bike should i give to them just curious ??

Hard to say what their angle is perhaps they want to check if it's stolen on bike register (very small database) perhaps it matches a bike they had stolen and want to confirm although it would be a silly way to try and recover your bike if it was stolen.

No reason for you to give it out though if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭bronkobilly

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Hard to say what their angle is perhaps they want to check if it's stolen on bike register (very small database) perhaps it matches a bike they had stolen and want to confirm although it would be a silly way to try and recover your bike if it was stolen.

No reason for you to give it out though if you don't want to.

if its brand new why would they ask for the serial number wen they can see its brand new bike

if its brand new why would they ask for the serial number wen they can see its brand new bike

Similarly. Why would someone sell a brand new bike? Bike shops get raided all the time. Why not ask the potential buyer why they want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I wouldn't provide a serial.
    What's to stop them going to a garda station and registering "their bike" as stolen and providing the serial number.

If the bike is brand new then presumably you still have the receipt or invoice or some other form of documentation that shows you bought it recently. That should be proof enough if they are genuine and don't want to buy a stolen bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 if they think its theirs, they can check the serial number when they meet you, if its too prove its yours, you have the receipts which you can provide and block out identifying info, I wouldn't be supplying it to anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

It would be an elaborate scam to get serial numbers and register them to then report a bike stolen to try get the gardai to seize it.

I give serial numbers if people ask, and I would assume something was up if a seller wouldn't provide it.

A serial number alone is not proof of ownership and anyone could look at your serial number while your bike is locked up outside anyway.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I wouldn't provide a serial.
    What's to stop them going to a garda station and registering "their bike" as stolen and providing the serial number.

Highly unlike;y that would happen and even if it did they would need some form of proof receipt,picture etc. Even then you would need to find an eager garda who would be arsed to chase it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Similarly. Why would someone sell a brand new bike? Bike shops get raided all the time. Why not ask the potential buyer why they want it?
    if it's new, i guess the poster still has the receipt from the bike shop?
    maybe offering to take a photo of the receipt (signed) might give them pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Highly unlikely to be any leads but my Thompson Hybrid was stolen from garden shed last night in Carpenterstown/Castlknock.

Its black with some green trim, straight handlebars, Belgian flag under the handlebar stem. Have reported to Gardaí but its just another bike to add to the several I've had taken down through the years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fecks sake havent been in the DART station in Bray since the lockdown and I went down today to find my junk bike had been stolen, might as well post a pic in case someone sees it, it was a good workhorse over the years, I did the Grand Canal on it once, actually it was the first bike I ever did a century on because of that :(

YWJHIuT.jpg?1

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This could get interesting as I doubt the thieves are on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/BikesInThePark/status/1264300896726507520?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If anyone has had a straight handled Lapierre bike nicked recently, details on recovery should be with Irishtown garda station

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Thargor wrote: »
    Fecks sake havent been in the DART station in Bray since the lockdown and I went down today to find my junk bike had been stolen, might as well post a pic in case someone sees it, it was a good workhorse over the years, I did the Grand Canal on it once, actually it was the first bike I ever did a century on because of that :(
    At the stations, combination of junk bike and expensive Kryptonite is your only chance. What lock did you have?

An old thick motorbike cable lock that had done the job down there for years, the bikes sheer ugliness and weight was its main defense but I suppose the extra demand for bikes during lockdown made it acceptable to someone, should have thought of that, still pissed off.

Did you leave it locked there for the whole lockdown period?

Unfortunately cable locks are f-all use in reality.

Yeah, Ive done that a million times though, its stayed there cable locked while Ive been off travelling for long periods or down home over Christmas, the whole point is that it wasnt worth stealing and that has held true for the last 8 years, even more annoying I have a massive brick of an Onguard Bullguard U-lock that lives in the DART station aswell that I combine with a Kryptonite Evolution that I carry mounted on the roadbike at all times on the rare occasion that I leave my good bike locked there (never overnight). I just didnt bother because its a generic 30 year old Raleigh that nobody has bothered with for nearly a decade on the cable lock (this was a massive motorbike cable lock aswell not an Aldi job).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Any chance it's been removed by a local authority? They are allowed and do move bikes that are locked for a long enough period of time.

Advertisement