Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viber

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

bilalp wrote: »
    . Viber works on ics? It doesn't crash?

Yoyos issue was the contact resolution on DHD ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bilalp

Yoyos issue was the contact resolution on DHD ;)[/Quote]
    Ahh got excited there for a minute :( lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

haha sorry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

bilalp wrote: »
    yoyo83 wrote: »
    well it works anyway! got in contact!! viber is the best!! :)
    . Viber works on ics? It doesn't crash?
    Use Line instead. It's free in the market. Viber have had long enough now to get it working for ICS. No updates since October.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

G1032 wrote: »
    Use Line instead. It's free in the market. Viber have had long enough now to get it working for ICS. No updates since October.....

whats line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Downloaded this again tonight (having removed it about 4/5 months back for the battery drain issue) and I see nothing has changed, despite me having a new phone (GS2) and a new ROM setup (Android 2.3.6 , CheckROM RevoHD v4 and Kernel 2.6.35.7)

Shame, but no good if it's eating my battery - uninstalled..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

G1032 wrote: »

whats line?
    https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.naver.line.android&hl=en

Same kind of thing as Viber except it works on ICS and gets updated more than once every 4 months......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Actually,
    We've made some serious progress with the development of Viber for ICS, and if all goes as planned, it should be released over the next 2 weeks (probably less). News soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Viber wrote: »
    Actually,
    We've made some serious progress with the development of Viber for ICS, and if all goes as planned, it should be released over the next 2 weeks (probably less). News soon :)

Well it was just a "couple of weeks" at the end of December, so now it's the middle of February its nice to know it's only 2 weels away :rolleyes:
    Regarding ICS - we could ask Market to remove it, but our hopes is that within the next couple of weeks Viber should already be compatible with ICS. As I said, we're doing our best, and we hope to release our new version very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Actually,

And it only took 3 months :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Actually,

Sweet!

What about the iPhone version?

And come on guys, it's a free app. They're obviously working on it. I like Viber, I like it's purple theme and they seem to be listening to suggestions, etc... but I think they're a bit too ambitious and spread too thin with the version for Symbian(I want it on Symbian!), Blackberry, etc... I wonder how many people are there working on Viber?

LINE looks good, but IMO Viber is a better organized(Menus, etc...) app with more features, LINE Line doesn't have a version for WP7 either, neither does Viber, so they're even there.

EDIT: Actually on a second viewing LINE has a pretty nice UI too, at least on the iPhone.

Viber for Blackberry is almost ready (will be released soon).
    We're working on a Symbian version these days, but not entirely sure when it will be ready.
    Same with Windows Phone.

About ICS - this time the timeframe seems much more concrete, sinc we've finally overcome the main obstacle we encountered 2 months back. Be sure - the only reason we delay releases is to make sure we don't release a half-baked up to Market :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

We're working on a Symbian version these days, but not entirely sure when it will be ready.
    Same with Windows Phone.

About ICS - this time the timeframe seems much more concrete, sinc we've finally overcome the main obstacle we encountered 2 months back. Be sure - the only reason we delay releases is to make sure we don't release a half-baked up to Market :)
    Jaysus I forgot about symbian.

Keep up the great work viber. Love the app.
    Your right to not to be releasing apps that are not ready. Don't mind the impatient people.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Jaysus I forgot about symbian.

So did nokia lol
    About ICS - this time the timeframe seems much more concrete, sinc we've finally overcome the main obstacle we encountered 2 months back. Be sure - the only reason we delay releases is to make sure we don't release a half-baked up to Market smile.gif

Nice to see a company who does that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Symbian is dead, I admire Viber's ambition to cover all platforms but developing a Symbian version now is some waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

draffodx wrote: »
    Symbian is dead, I admire Viber's ambition to cover all platforms but developing a Symbian version now is some waste of resources.

I agree, Symbian is dead, but so is Blackberry, and the whole RIM in fact.

However both still have millions of active users around the world.

Viber, Tango, LINE, etc... all these apps are in a competition to spread to as many platforms as possible, the more platforms they cover the better. And offer as many features as possible.

Tango is the most widely spread right now, iOS, Android, WP7, PC and it supports video calls, however it does not have what is IMO more important than video calls, messages. And it's PC app looks like an iPhone FFS, what were they thinking?

If Viber comes to Symbian and BB, it'll still get a lot of use on those platforms. What I'm surprised about is the lack of news for WP7 version, now granted, WP7 isn't really doing great, neither did the first XBOX, but Microsoft seems to be very firmly committed to the platform to make it the third relevant one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Same with Windows Phone.

Great news! Have you guys any plans in the future to add video calls as well guys??

madmoe wrote: »
    Great news! Have you guys any plans in the future to add video calls as well guys??

Yep,
    It's under development, and we've made some progress lately, but we still don't have any estimation for a release date. As always, if we have any concrete news, I'll share it here :)

By the way, about Blackberry and Symbian - the numbers show that there are still millions and millions of BB and Symbian users across the world. We don't see it as a waste of time developing Viber for both these platforms - on the contrary. Our goal is to allow as many people as possible connect through Viber, so the least people possible are left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Yep,
    It's under development, and we've made some progress lately, but we still don't have any estimation for a release date. As always, if we have any concrete news, I'll share it here :)

By the way, about Blackberry and Symbian - the numbers show that there are still millions and millions of BB and Symbian users across the world. We don't see it as a waste of time developing Viber for both these platforms - on the contrary. Our goal is to allow as many people as possible connect through Viber, so the least people possible are left out.

Great to hear video is in the works guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yep,

Sure is. And great to hear you're still working on the BlackBerry version. You should also look at developing for the BlackBerry Playbook. Or port the android app to the Playbook.

Hi all,
    I'm excited to announce the Viber 2.1.3 is finally available for download on Market.
    First and foremost, this new version is compatible with ICS (Android 4) - so the long anticipation is finally over :)

In addition, the new version contains bug fixes and small new features for your convenience.

Please try it out and let us know if you encounter any special problems.

Best regards,
    the Viber Team

Hi all,
    I'm excited to announce the Viber 2.1.3 is finally available for download on Market.
    First and foremost, this new version is compatible with ICS (Android 4) - so the long anticipation is finally over :)

In addition, the new version contains bug fixes and small new features for your convenience.

Best regards,
    the Viber Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi all,

Best regards,
    the Viber Team

Excellent. Great news. Just about to download it :)

Goog to see that you are now supporting ICS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bilalp

Hi all,

Best regards,
    the Viber Team

While I am pleased I did think that you would update the ui somehow and try to follow the ics design guidelines, at least let us slide between the panes like other ics Apps. I mean with how long it took I'm quite surprised that it does look almost exactly the same.... Well anyway its a free app so I can't really complain. Thanks for the ics support!

We must admit that the GUI wasn't in our minds as a first priority. As I explained previously in this thread, ICS holds many profound changes, in addition to the new cool graphic designs, and that was mainly what caused the delay.

We plan to improve Viber's UI altogether in the future, but we still don't know when that will happen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Hi all,

Best regards,
    the Viber Team

Thats brilliant, I can now finally make the jump to the long awaited ICS :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 htcocacola

great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

@Viber

In "Settings" there's an option that says "Facebook Connect". What does that actually do? Post a status every time I make a call or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The_B_Man wrote: »
    @Viber

In "Settings" there's an option that says "Facebook Connect". What does that actually do? Post a status every time I make a call or what?

Contacts?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    @Viber

It connects your Viber with Facebook, mainly for posting photos you receive on your Wall, for example.
    In the future we will expand this feature and allow to share more things that are happening inside Viber on your Facebook (all is optional, of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I re-downloaded Viber there and now everytime I try to call someone a few seconds into the call my phone freezes completely and have to remove the battery to use it again.

Any ideas why this could be? Running 2.2.

@harpstilidie -
    What device are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

@harpstilidie -
    What device are you using?

ZTE Blade/Orange San Fran. Had no issues before. Could it be down to lack of memory or anything?

ZTE Blade/Orange San Fran. Had no issues before. Could it be down to lack of memory or anything?

Very possibly.

Please note that Viber does not officially support ZTE Blade yet, and that may be the reason for the problems you are experiencing. Here is the full list of officially supported devices: http://bit.ly/rqbZEw

We are continuously working to adapt Viber to more and more devices, and we hope to attend to the problems with your device soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Viber, remember some months ago you released this snippet of a screenshot of what looked to be a Windows Application. The assumption was there would be a windows app like skype has. Is this the case - and what is the update on it? This would be a killer app - and if you had this you would crust WhatsApp - which is currently beating you in messaging.

Any update on this at all? I really wish these teasers were not released until you are actually close to having a product to release.

@Zascar -
    Viber for Dekstop is still under development. We might have been too early to release the screenshot - the app is not close to release, but we've definitely made some significant progress since.

Once we have news, I will keep you posted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok great thanks - at least its confirmed you are working on a windows app :)

Any further info as to how it will work? I would just really love a desktop/mobile messaging app. Will it be this year yes?

@Viber

Any chance there are plans to release a text-only app to android... Many android handsets are budget ones and therefore your current 8MB application takes up a lot of space.

Also as myself and harpstilidie are using technically unsupported phones (Wildfire and Blade) and while the voice option does not work so well the messaging (for me anyway) works flawlessely. This would make a "viber messaging only" app a convenient alternative.

I know I'm making a lot of assumptions but it's just an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sledgejammer

Not that I want to try and advertise other products in the Viber thread, but would Whatsapp not be exactly what you're after?

Not that I want to try and advertise other products in the Viber thread, but would Whatsapp not be exactly what you're after?

It would be but some of my friends use whatsapp and some viber... I've a feeling most of the whatsapp ones will move to viber as well in the next few months when their "12 month free trial" ends...

I know I wont be using WhatsApp on my phone in a few months time when I'm asked to pay lol

• Advertisement

@Viber

Any chance there are plans to release a text-only app to android... Many android handsets are budget ones and therefore your current 8MB application takes up a lot of space.

Also as myself and harpstilidie are using technically unsupported phones (Wildfire and Blade) and while the voice option does not work so well the messaging (for me anyway) works flawlessely. This would make a "viber messaging only" app a convenient alternative.

I know I'm making a lot of assumptions but it's just an idea

This suggestion has been raised in the past, and today we are considering adding an option that disables calling inside Viber, however this would also require a whole new mechanism that also alerts the other side of this issue, and so it is a little complex. If we end up deciding adding this option, I will let you know.

However, in the meanwhile, you can simply decline incoming calls ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any known issues with Viber lately?

I was getting a force close error earlier this evening and am still getting it after an upgrade and reboot.

Galaxy S running stock 2.3

I have an iphone 4 that password locks when im not using it.
    If someone calls me on viber and i slide to unlock then it doesnt go to viber.
    I have to enter the passcode So I miss the call.

I have an iphone 4 that password locks when im not using it.
    If someone calls me on viber and i slide to unlock then it doesnt go to viber.
    I have to enter the passcode So I miss the call.

How did you get Android on your iPhone?

How did you get Android on your iPhone?

oops. wrong thread

@Redsoxfan -
    Have you made sure to update Viber to the latest version from Market?
    There was a problem for version 2.1.3 users that should be fixed on 2.1.4. Unfortunately, sometimes it might require uninstall + reinstall :(

@CricketDude -
    Since Viber is a 3rd-party app (not the phone's native calling app), iPhone restrictions obligate the user to manually unlock the phone upon an even of such app. That's why Viber doesn't behave like your regular phone app. Not much we can do to help :\

@CricketDude -
    Since Viber is a 3rd-party app (not the phone's native calling app), iPhone restrictions obligate the user to manually unlock the phone upon an even of such app. That's why Viber doesn't behave like your regular phone app. Not much we can do to help :\

Why not handle the notification of a call more gracefully.
    Try a few other apps that notify you of calls to see how its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've noticed notifications don't automatically clear any more. In the past xing out of the popup, or replying to the message would clear the status bar notification, and widget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

@Redsoxfan -
    Have you made sure to update Viber to the latest version from Market?
    There was a problem for version 2.1.3 users that should be fixed on 2.1.4. Unfortunately, sometimes it might require uninstall + reinstall :(

The un-install and re-install seems to have done the trick, cheers.

• Advertisement

@donspeekinglesh -
    That is a known issue that we hope to resolve soon. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience :(

@CricketDude -
    I'm not quite sure I fully understand your meaning... you were talking about the fact that the iPhone needs to be manually unlocked in order to answer the call.. right?
    If so, then as I explained, there is nothing we can do technologically (in the current versions of iOS) in order to "force" the phone to unlock itself upon a Viber call or an incoming text.

Advertisement