Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pats accused of under inflating game balls against the Colts (MOD WARNING #457)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

taidghbaby wrote: »
    If Colts get a replay then the 2010 World Cup should be replayed and Ireland get added as the 33rd team!

or more recently the lions have a far far bigger shout to have there wildcard game replayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

My guess is that the only team that would get caught for this is the Patriots, that or any other slight infraction. As other teams are looking to catch the Patriots for anything. Especially since Aaron Rodgers was quoted on national TV in front of millions saying he does basically the same thing and nobody batted an eyelid. Do you think if Brady made the same comments they would have just flown under the radar?

I was watching sports talk show on BarstoolSports.com last night where they said they had a source say that the Ravens players had told the Colts players about the deflated balls and the Colts players planned to complain the second they had their hands on the ball. They didn't publish the story because their source wouldn't reveal the names of the Colts players. That would make perfect sense since when D'well Jackson made the biggest interception of his career, he didn't celebrate and hand the ball back to the refs, he legged it off the field and handed the ball straight to the Colts VP. A little strange that a LB who rarely touches the ball, noticed that the ball was slightly deflated and during such a big moment of the game/his career, the slight deflation was his main concern. I guess rightly or wrongly, there was a conspiracy from more than one team to catch the Patriots out.

So if it wasn't deflategate, we would have been caught for some other slight infraction, it was inevitable. There was an NFL investigation into the legality of our formations against the Ravens ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

You have to love how Pats fans imply 'everyone is at it' and 'we just got caught'

- wrong - the Pats were at it and got caught - and not for the first time -

It's the 'Patriot Way' :rolleyes:

If these reports turn out to be accurate the Pats will receive a very heavy fine - and the loss of draft pick/s. The Colts have no case for a rematch or replacing the Pats in the SB.

Personally I would reduce the Pats cap number by maybe €20million for a number of years - much better punishment for doing things the 'Patriot Way'.

You are one seriously naive person if you think other teams havent used methods in the past and or still do. Typical for you to turn this into a nonsense post about Pats fans.

TO. wrote: »
    You are one seriously naive person if you think other teams havent used methods in the past and or still do. Typical for you to turn this into a nonsense post about Pats fans.

At the Super Bowl, the NFL had 100 footballs. They were new, slick and supposedly under the league's watchful eye. But not leaving anything to chance, Johnson made sure the balls were scuffed and ready well before the Dixie Chicks sang the national anthem.

"I paid some guys off to get the balls right," Johnson now admits. "I went and got all 100 footballs, and they took care of all of them."

How much did it cost Johnson? "Seventy-five hundred (dollars)," he said.

"They took care of them."

Johnson made the revelation several years ago, prior to the 10-year reunion of the Bucs' Super Bowl champion team.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-qb-johnson-paid-to-have-footballs-altered-before-sb-37/2214490

Fox cameras showed sideline attendants using heaters to warm up game balls, which is against league rules.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/11218/nfl-aware-of-game-ball-incident-during-panthers-vikings

Aaron Rodgers quoted as doing a similar thing on national TV.

frostie500 wrote: »
    I'm sure that Pats fans around the world will unite and create an us against them mentality but if any fan looks at it objectively it's pretty clear that if the team did this there are going to be ramifications against the franchise.

Online I've seen a lot of Pats fans talk about "this didn't make a difference to the result" but the simple fact is that if rules were broken the Pats deserve to be punished and for the media to write negatively against them for this. Personally I hope that it's found that they did nothing wrong but their closed shop mentality under Bill has meant that they don't, and won't, get the benefit of the doubt in any borderline cases

Honestly the majority of your post is sheer nonsense and tells me that when someone trolls Pats fans you will let it slide. Good to see a mod being impartial.

Most if not all Pats fans in here have said they deserve punishment. But great post Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

B74hmgJCEAAHS98.jpg

Hazys wrote: »

Makes no difference posting proof im sure jrg will make excuses and find another way to get his point across of how much he hates the Pats and Pats fans.

TO. wrote: »
    Makes no difference posting proof im sure jrg will make excuses and find another way to get his point across of how much he hates the Pats and Pats fans.

Oh yeah in Jolly Red Giant's case nothing is going to change his mind.

The point I'm trying to show is that there is a bit of a witch hunt when the Patriots are involved. Aaron Rodgers admitted to doing almost the same thing and nobody cared. The Carolina Panthers heated balls on the sideline after being told the week of the game by the officials not to do it and no punishment came. In both cases, the incidents were considered so minor, nobody batted an eyelid. But now that the Patriots do it, its a massive scandal, seems a little unfair but who are we kidding, it was to be expected.

So will the Patriots get a fair trail with the media firestorm brewing and the self appointed King of Integrity Goodell's propensity to cave to media pressure? Something tells me i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,627 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The mediots have to do something to discredit the Patriots. Last thing they want is a team that they all said was finished after three weeks of the season winning the Superbowl. They have to at least taint that win in case it happens.

If Goodell comes down hard on the Patriots here then he will be shown to be unfair. Every team in the league violates rules on a regular basis. I don't know if the Patriots did anything with the balls but its pretty clear that it goes on every week of the season with multiple teams.

Of course Spygate was similar but the Pats got done for that.

@AdamSchefter

BREAKING: Footage of the Patriots trying to deflate all 12 balls and why they missed one: https://vine.co/v/OIeeDPhF6q5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think its a fair comparison between this and Spygate. This I do think is rather a non issue. Spygate not so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I find the paranoia of some of the Patriots fans quite strange.

Any other team would be treated just the same, I don't see this as them being victimized or anything like that.

I'd imagine there will be a fine at some point, talk of replaying the game is pretty silly too, wouldn't really be a fair or just sanction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

This is getting a lot of discussion here and even on the morning news shows. Just to show the extreme here is this: I don't agree with this headline from USA Today and I don't in a million years think that it will happen but here it is:

The Patriots should be disqualified from the Super Bowl:

Cheat on a test in school? You fail, no questions asked.

Cheat on your taxes, the IRS will find you. It won’t be pretty.

Cheat on a World Cup bid and, well, you probably get awarded that World Cup, but that’s neither here nor there.

The New England Patriots cheated in the AFC championship. As such, the team should be disqualified from the Super Bowl.

Personally I think the problem for Belichick is his past reputation and not necessarily this one event.

Maybe someone can find the article and post the link? I am not enabled to do so.

I'm not the Patriots biggest fan, but there is no way I would advocate the above. They are deserving Super Bowl contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Raf32 wrote: »
    Do you normally read stuff from this site? Never heard of it before so I'm wondering if its a normal site for you to read on or is this just something from a wide ranging google search?

DecStone wrote: »
    This is getting a lot of discussion here and even on the morning news shows. Just to show the extreme here is this: I don't agree with this headline from USA Today and I don't in a million years think that it will happen but here it is:

The Patriots should be disqualified from the Super Bowl:

Cheat on a test in school? You fail, no questions asked.

Cheat on your taxes, the IRS will find you. It won’t be pretty.

Cheat on a World Cup bid and, well, you probably get awarded that World Cup, but that’s neither here nor there.

The New England Patriots cheated in the AFC championship. As such, the team should be disqualified from the Super Bowl.

Personally I think the problem for Belichick is his past reputation and not necessarily this one event.

Maybe someone can find the article and post the link? I am not enabled to do so.

bollocks im not a pats fan but there are levels of cheating you dont for example expel a child for cheating on a test or execute someone for not paying taxes or bomba country for cheating on a world cup bid.

what the patriots was cheating but losing a draft pick or two is fair compensation. in fact the only reason i think i should be a mid round pick and not be a late draft pick is because (as a buddy put it to me) the patriots are convicted criminals due to incidents in the past.

the calls for them to be kicked out of the superbowl are idiotic and i have noted that the only users iv seen claiming they should be are new users/users that have never posted on this thread before so i can only assume they are coming at this from an uninformed angle

Raf32 wrote: »

i find it hard to believe the league would have ignored that if they where told in november

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you normally read stuff from this site? Never heard of it before so I'm wondering if its a normal site for you to read on or is this just something from a wide ranging google search?

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

Same quotes about the issues in November in this piece - still only "Sources" no confirmations

If they told the NFL back in November, why didn't the NFL do anything about it then? Why no investigation then? Or least warn the Patriots that they needed to stop or told them that they would be looked at more closely? Maybe the NFL didn't think it was such a big deal with like the Panthers incident? but things are different now because the media got hold of it?

• Advertisement

Can't help but feel that suspending Pats from the Super Bowl would bring the NFL to a bigger farce, than the actual incident in itself.

A fine and a draft pick should be more than enough.

Just thinking that Brady was intercepted three times by the Colts over two games which is more than he was by any other team in the league.

Maybe the Colts were deflating the balls?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just thinking that Brady was intercepted three times by the Colts over two games which is more than he was by any other team in the league.

Maybe the Colts were deflating the balls?!

If the Patriots blew up a school you would still be in here defending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Fine and 7th round pick for me but I'm not certain as to how much advantage the balls gave them (obv made no difference to game outcome but would they have made a difference if it was close).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ouch. I'm afraid the patriots are going to be pretty badly tarnished by this.

And it wont be forgotten in a very long time.

glued wrote: »
    If the Patriots blew up a school you would still be in here defending them.
    You obviously didn't notice the exclamation mark after the question mark.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Ouch. I'm afraid the patriots are going to be pretty badly tarnished by this.

And it wont be forgotten in a very long time.

More tarnished then "spygate"? Highly doubtful. Its ridiculous its generating this much hype right now, but I suppose that is the way with the Patriots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

If the Pats were deflating balls after they were inspected (and found to be within the correct limit), then it's such a stupid thing to do and punishment will have to be handed out.

Hopefully on Thursday all the facts can be presented by the NFL so we get a clear picture of what occurred. The whole "leaked reports" thing has done little more than fill a lot of media space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I pay no attention to the leaks at all, the only thing that matters is what the NFL say. I am not sure how they can prove much either way though tbh, the officials handle the balls on every single play, every one and they saw nothing wrong bar one ball which was swapped out. Balls can and often do become naturally deflated over the course of a game. I also wonder about the point, if the game was one where the Patriots were a heavy under dog and felt like they could level the playing field somehow by manipulating the balls you could see it maybe, but in a game against the Colts, at home, a team they have had no trouble with for years I can't see why they would take the risk or feel the need to interfere with the balls.

Looking forward to the report coming out actually

Advertisement