Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Fit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Gym 5 days a week and 2 hours of basketball training twice a week.

Still not fit though.

Either you have an extremely unforgiving idea of what constitutes being fit, or you're doing it wrong.

He's not starting til Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

kneemos wrote: »
    People who talk about thier "fitness programmes"make me want to kill them.

My fitness programme involves running for between 5 and 8 km about 4 or 5 times a week, and a few cycles too. I do some press-ups and sit-ups every day, and eat pretty well, mostly fresh ingredients and reasonable portions, though I treat myself a lot too.

The difference is amazing, not only in terms of how much weight I've lost and how much fitter I am, but also in terms of how much more energy I have and how much more positive I feel. I wish I'd started years ago. It's so much easier, cheaper (the people with expensive gear tend to be the ones walking and swing their arms like windmills who give me filthies as I prance past) and less time-consuming than I thought it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Either you have an extremely unforgiving idea of what constitutes being fit, or you're doing it wrong.

The gym must have a sauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Still not fit though.

Maybe he goes to watch the women working out, it works for me! My right arm is getting very muscular.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Walk the dogs every day for 40 mins to 1 hour, and at weekends longer up the mountains, down the beach wherever we fancy. So whilst I'm not uber fit I am fit enough.

• Advertisement

What do boardsies do to keep fit?

Run for an hour every morning.
    Cycle for an hour every night.
    Capoira once a week sometimes twice.
    Brazilian JIu Jitsu once a week sometimes twice.
    As much sex as possible, in various unlikely positions.
    Grow my own herbs and veg and eggs where possible.
    Strictly healthy diet which ties into my already high love of cooking hobby.
    Should the government reward people for choosing to eat right, implement a "sugar tax" so to speak.

It is not really sugar we have to target per so though I am sure it would help. One thing I have read coming out of current american research is that the move towards low sugar and low fat products has caused a large increase in the number of products using Corn Syrup as a substitute. The things I am reading about the effects of that on our health are not good.

I do not pretend to know much about the subject but I have read enough to know that engaging in a simple anti sugar campaign is likely not going to do the trick. Any government campaign towards healthy eating should go a little more indepth than that and target bad foods intelligently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I go to the GYM. three times aweek. I'm trying to get fit, but I also want to be able to move my pecs. I always thought that was cool. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Used to play football and do jiu jitsu but a groin injury has me hampered for the last while. Started back jogging last night.

I also do weights 2 or 3 nights a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

www.boilerhouse.ie 4 times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ush1 wrote: »
    Used to play football and do jiu jitsu but a groin injury has me hampered for the last while. Started back jogging last night.

I also do weights 2 or 3 nights a week.

Groin injuries...bloody nightmare to get rid of them. Once you damage it , it can come back to haunt you again and again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

One thing I have read coming out of current american research is that the move towards low sugar and low fat products has caused a large increase in the number of products using Corn Syrup as a substitute.

Well, things should just be low sugar, not low fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Low sugar makes a huge diff, but there's also a point on corn syrup being introduced over here...

Even then I am not sure how clear cut it is. Again I am not very well up on the subject of fat and sugar but the substitutes put into things like Diet coke and other low sugar products is not meant to be all that great either.

All I think on the subject is that if the government were to launch a campaign, using taxes or education or whatever, it should not be as simple as "Sugar, bad, attack" but should look intelligently at the food and drink market and target the things that really are bad.

Not that that would ever happen I fear.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Groin injuries...bloody nightmare to get rid of them. Once you damage it , it can come back to haunt you again and again..

Yeah it's so frustrating. Rested for 3 months, felt only little twinge so went back to training. Knew I had reinjured it almost straight away but just gutted through it, when I had stopped moving and was in bed that night then was in absolute agony, literally couldn't turn over in the bed without intense pain.

I'm just praying I don't need an operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

kneemos wrote: »
    People who talk about thier "fitness programmes"make me want to kill them.

Me too some guys I work with all like ya I did 5k in such and such a time followed by this that and the other and then ask ya when was the last time you went to the gym, what did ya do etc

Fcuk off

I go to the GYM. three times aweek. I'm trying to get fit, but I also want to be able to move my pecs. I always thought that was cool. :D

GYM

Still not fit though.

Is gym the name of a pub or something? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

beeroclock wrote: »
    Me too some guys I work with all like ya I did 5k in such and such a time followed by this that and the other and then ask ya when was the last time you went to the gym, what did ya do etc

Fcuk off

How dare they have an interest in fitness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

TheBody wrote: »
    I type on my keyboard. I've the fittest fingers in the county!!
    Yore ma said the same thing about me.

Einhard wrote: »
    That's not rewarding people for eating well, but rather punishing those who ever have a treat. Which, considering that practically everyone indulges now and then, would actually hit those who eat healthily too.

I go to the gym. I was very overweight until a year ago but i've lost 3.5 stone since and I've never felt better. Although ask me tomorrow morn after tonight's session and I might have a different answer. :pac:
    Everyone indulges, yes. But its the overweight people that do it more so. So if the tax is placed on sweets and soft drinks the ones who drink alot of it will pay more of the tax. They increase the tax on cigarettes, citing health reasons. By that same logic they could do the same with sugary food stuffs.

I used to do Muay thai 3 times a week. I got incredibly fit doing that. But fell out of the habit a while ago. I've put on some winter weight since(I'm in southern hemisphere) and getting into the habit again is difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I got back into the pool after being out for too many years. I am swimming anywhere from 5-10 miles per week. I am swimming in my first Masters Swim Meet at the end of this month. It will have been almost 26 years to the day since my last competitive swim meet.

My biggest problem with staying fit/healthy is that I work 47 miles from my place of employment. So, factor in the hours that I am stuck at my desk (@50 hours per week) with the travel times driving 104 miles round trip.

I have been trying to watch what I eat (more chicken and fresh veg/salads) and drinking loads of water. I've cut out most of the sweet and fizzy drinks. The weight isn't exactly falling off of me, but it is coming down at a steady pace. I will say this. I feel amazing. I have more energy. I am sleeping better. I am more motivated.

Looking forward to a long walk at much today, and then @ 2.5 miles in the pool.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Sometimes you get people into fitness who think you're as interested as they are in talking about it all the time.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Ush1 reply was more along the lines of what I meant, for the record i think its great that people are into it

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

I used to go 3 days and do martial arts but I fell out of routine. I've just started going to the gym four days per week again because I need to get back in shape :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

i ran to the chipper there on tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sometimes you get people into fitness who think you're as interested as they are in talking about it all the time.

True, the ammount of people I got rid of on my facebook page because I couldn't take anymore posts of.

' Went to the gym , 600 kg weights boosted tonight #i'm fit and shag me please#'

We get it , you go to the gym, you go running , you keep fit so do I, I just don't post every ****ing detail up for the world to know because #nobody gives a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bazzerman

Swanfisting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

1ZRed wrote: »

I wasted 3 minutes of my life to download that!? :mad: Now come on 1Z thats not on!!! :mad:

:pac:

I do around 6k twice a week, swim once, sometimes twice a week and try to watch what I eat to a certain degree during the week.

It compensates for a good feed of drink twice a week and eating more or less what I want at weekends :D

I wasted 3 minutes of my life to download that!? :mad: Now come on 1Z thats not on!!! :mad:

:pac:
    Nah, figured it'd actually give you something to do up there in SHHHHLIGO! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I can do this:)
    Jiggle Jiggle

Advertisement