Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Fit

Options
  • 08-09-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

What do boardsies do to keep fit?

I play Rugby, Soccer and do some MMA.
    I also hit the gym quite a bit but it's hard with the season starting back to fit it in.

I'm seeing and hearing of lots of people starting to get really REALLY into their fitness. I think the country is actually going through a huge change is this regard. I'm hearing a lot of people getting in to marathons and the like.
    I know quite a few who live for this now, as opposed to just hanging out in pubs a lot of the time.

The media make a huge deal about the Obesity problem, and while it is an issue of course, there's also the other side of the story I think that gets no recognition.

Lots of people are starting to eat right and look after themselves far better than ever.
    Should the government reward people for choosing to eat right, implement a "sugar tax" so to speak.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Did you say before you took steroids..

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Yoga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i had to look for the remote once...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I take the stairs in work. That's me done for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People who talk about thier "fitness programmes"make me want to kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Mounted midget archery??? I thought that was just some myth on the net.
    Teddy you legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I know quite a few who live for this now, as opposed to just hanging out in pubs a lot of the time.

Its a lot to do with finding alternative, cheaper, activities in the recession, then luckily people find they enjoy their new sport/routine and the benefits it brings.

I swim and run. Lately its been mostly swimming, but in the winter I'll probably hit the gym more. I'd devote 8-10 hours a week to dedicated exercise, and I'm pretty active otherwise. I'll never be the sedentary type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I cycle to work every day. Have weights at home so might use them the odd day when I'm arsed, or just go out for a run.

I could be much fitter but I do like the weekend pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Shryke wrote: »
    Did you say before you took steroids..
    Not unless I was joking(sometimes people can't tell, I need to make that clearer I know!). Although the idea had crossed my mind in the past. But from research it's not a route I'd risk going down. Gyno is not cool.
    girl2 wrote: »
    Yoga.
    I'm thinking of taking up yoga myself for injury prevention.
    I'm already quite flexible, but it's worked amazingly for so many sports people as part of their training.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

The London marathon this year, I lasted an hour before it was killing me so I switched to sky sports news.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I keep fish , been keeping them years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Should the government reward people for choosing to eat right, implement a "sugar tax" so to speak.

That's not rewarding people for eating well, but rather punishing those who ever have a treat. Which, considering that practically everyone indulges now and then, would actually hit those who eat healthily too.

I go to the gym. I was very overweight until a year ago but i've lost 3.5 stone since and I've never felt better. Although ask me tomorrow morn after tonight's session and I might have a different answer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

antodeco wrote: »
    I take the stairs in work. That's me done for the day!

At least it's something!

I took up tag rugby this summer. Realised I am not much of a sprinter. :o I gym it, cycle, walk, the odd bit of Badminton or Tennis. Going to take swimming lessons this month. :)

Pilates or Yoga is good for flexibility.

I guess more people are training for marathons or Tris because they'd rather train than spend money on a night out on the beer?? Or they can use the excuse of training not to go out on the beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Not unless I was joking(sometimes people can't tell, I need to make that clearer I know!). Although the idea had crossed my mind in the past. But from research it's not a route I'd risk going down. Gyno is not cool.

I dont think roids are that bad. I lift with a few people that take them. Theres a documentary called bigger, faster, stronger. You should check it out. Its well worth a watch even if only for the entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I type on my keyboard. I've the fittest fingers in the county!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mike87 wrote: »
    I dont think roids are that bad.

Ya, loike totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

i play table tennis which you need to be fit for if you play properly. I occasionally go for a run but i would like to be a lot fitter, im pretty lazy.
    I used to do a lot of training, went to the gym twice a day, i was pretty big into bodybuilding but had to give it up because of illness.

Mike87 wrote: »
    I dont think roids are that bad. I lift with a few people that take them. Theres a documentary called bigger, faster, stronger. You should check it out. Its well worth a watch even if only for the entertainment value.
    I've watched it.

Just eat more eggs though. A lot of roid users want a low bf% without doing any cardio.
    I've seen lots of people who bodybuild with giant guts. I see them in the gym never once doing any cardio.
    I wouldn't risk it ever for the thought of getting gyno.
    *Gyno is when men over produce testosterone and stop producing much estrogen from taking steroids during a cycle. Then afterwards, the estrogen comes flooding back and the man develops actual breasts that cannot not be overcome without getting a $40,000 (not sure about what it what cost in this country) operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I've watched it.

Just eat more eggs though. A lot of roid users want a low bf% without doing any cardio.
    I've seen lots of people who bodybuild with giant guts. I see them in the gym never once doing any cardio.

thats from insulin not steroids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I look at the flabby bits of myself that I hate, every night before bed, then I get into bed filled with despair and self-loathing:o

• Advertisement

Teddy you legend!
    huh!!?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Teddy you legend!

Shur thats only a small thing.

Real Life wrote: »
    thats from insulin not steroids
    I didn't mean to relate a guy with steroids.
    But I mean they eat a **** load of food trying to get bigger and bigger.
    If you're not prepared to do any cardio, you need to have your diet 100% spot on.

Teddy you legend!
    I'm reporting you for hacking into my browsing history!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I work a manual labour job and I've recently started to "play" soccer every week or fortnight a while ago. I'm about as fit as Pavarotti though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

TheBody wrote: »
    I type on my keyboard. I've the fittest fingers in the county!!

Your username deserves more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I've started to walk to the chipper these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

I keep fit by hitting the Jim...'ll Fix It themed exercise DVD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I've watched it.

I wouldn't risk it ever for the thought of getting gyno.
    *Gyno is when men over produce testosterone and stop producing much estrogen from taking steroids during a cycle. Then afterwards, the estrogen comes flooding back and the man develops actual breasts that cannot not be overcome without getting a $40,000 (not sure about what it what cost in this country) operation.

you don't get gyno if you use them properly, there are post cycle therapys for all steroid cycles that are made specifically to stop the estrogen production. the only people who get it are those who don't do their research.

you still shouldn't use steroids though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I've recently disabled the auto-refresh tab add-on for Firefox - now I press F5 or click the mouse.

I can feel the benefits already.

Advertisement