Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite FPS?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Toss-up between Half-Life 2 & Deus Ex.

Half-Life 2 because it has this sublime design to it, which means that the only thing stopping my gaming session is a power cut.

Deus Ex because it is, quite possibly, the largest, most in-depth "world" I've ever experienced in a game.

And honorary mention to Ratchet & Clank 3 in FPS mode.
    LOVE Insomniac's weapons creators!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Probably UT way back in 2000. First gaming I did online other than MUDs and I'm still amazed they were able to make it workable over dialup.
    Hours and hours whiled away, I probably haven't actually matched the time spent on a fps online since.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What games mentioned are 3rd person? :confused:

jesmed wrote: »
    Gears of War 1 and 2......well better than timesplitters, not to mention the whole tombraider series and the resi's......there's loadsa brill games out there.
    Thankfully for me the list is endless..........:D

Know I'm a bit late getting back to this but... ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Dime101

At the moment I'm playing tons of Black ops and really liking it.

But ever?

Hmmmmm, Goldeneye, Doom 2 or Half Life 2 are top tier IMO(for their time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

chin_grin wrote: »
    Half Life 1.

This.. my favourite game of all time.. when it came out it changed games forever, so far ahead of its time.. playing it felt like you were in a movie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Unreal and Quake 2. End.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Day of Defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

God that's a tough one. Thinking of hours put in then probably goldeneye, cs and dod. Honourable mention to hl1 and op flashpoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Daikatana, well worth the millions that went into it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

This one - awesome graphics - best ive ever seen :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyCyzB0CedM&feature=player_embedded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Deus Ex for me. Playing that game completely sucked me in. Particularly when you felt the decisions you were making were having an influence over the storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Half Life Series and Modern Warfare 1. I'd say Doom one/two but being honest that's just nostalgia. I think nostalgic stuff should be accounted seperately. The large majority of older games have aged badly although the Doom games are still good to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doom hasn't aged a bit. It's a bit dated graphically but for sheer balls out blasting and fantastic level design there's nothing else like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i really tried with System Shock 2 at the time but it suffered from one of the most annoying things that games can do to you
    Respawn!
    AaaaaaaaaaaH
    no!
    i like to clear a fecking area and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

wolfenstein enemy territory, its a classic !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Most memorable for me would be half life, UT99, duke nukem, timesplitters 2, TF2, HL2, portal, left4dead, battlefield BC, fallout 3 and dare I say it for fear of being lynched
    MW2

TF2 wins overall for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Swat 4, the tension could be awesome towards the end of a mission. f

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Original Half Life probably, awesome atmosphere in that game, hearing the marines radio chatter when they were around, wondering what the hell was making all that noise in the big pipes before getting to the tentacles, the first time you were underwater too long, turned around and saw the gaping mouth of that giant fish, the opening segment, awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Fallout 3 for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Skerries wrote: »
    i really tried with System Shock 2 at the time but it suffered from one of the most annoying things that games can do to you
    Respawn!
    AaaaaaaaaaaH
    no!
    i like to clear a fecking area and move on

You can turn that off with by adding no_spawn to the user.cfg file in the your SS2 directory. Although in fairness this did not always seem to work for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never bothered me really. The respawning enemies were usually lower powered and it stopped the backtracking getting repetitive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Showing my age, HL and Doom 2.
    Of the current crop, I'm rather partial to LFD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wolfenstein 3D and Doom would have been the first ones that I really got into, but after that i drifted into the point a click adventures like Blade Runner, India Jones and Full Trottle, then the Sim games like Sim city and Championship manager ruled for many a year.

I tried to get back into FPS's on a few occasions but they had gotten too fast paced and unrealistic, games like Quake held no appeal for me with guys booting around the place (prob still why i still hate Halo).

I did dip back in for the Medal of Honor games as they were always brilliant, and set in real campaigns but Only really came back to FPS in a big way with COD4 which at the time blew me away but every COD game since have been very poor.

Since then MAG has been brilliant, and despite tons of people thinking its rubbish this years Medal of Honor is one of the best games ive played this year never mind best FPS this year. It just does everything right, it gets the balance between keeping it realistic and keeping it fun just right. It looks amazing, plays really well and uses a cover system very well.

Advertisement