Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Video: Fiat 500 vs Audi Q7 in a crash test

Options
  • 25-07-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

audi-q7-vs-fiat-500.jpg

Even though Fiat is a lot smaller I think it stands against a bigger Q7 quit well. What amazes me is the inside video. The way things move when car crashes in slow motion makes you think what if...

Click here to see the video

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

is it just me or did the fiat drivers head completely miss the air bags?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slig wrote: »
    is it just me or did the fiat drivers head completely miss the air bags?

Quite clearly didn't miss it. Back on it looks like it as you're seeing it at an angle, side on its clear it it hit it. Its a 5 star NCAP car - airbag 'problems' usually automatically reduce you to one slashed star like the Navara had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

the fiat drivers head slipped off the airbag and hit the door, i'd be suprised a human would survive that bang!!?

The passenger didn't seem to fair too well either, the pictures from inside the fiat show his neck piece coming loose. :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    the fiat drivers head slipped off the airbag and hit the door, i'd be suprised a human would survive that bang!!?

The passenger didn't seem to fair too well either, the pictures from inside the fiat show his neck piece coming loose. :eek:

It has a side cushion bag - his head could not have hit the door. Did you manage to completely avoid seeing the side on footage?

MYOB wrote: »
    It has a side cushion bag - his head could not have hit the door. Did you manage to completely avoid seeing the side on footage?

watch the video, it clearly hits the door!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Looked to me like the airbag burst on the RHS front - pushing his head to the left.

pretty clear i think...?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Wouldnt like to be in that Fiat, the crumple zone looks to have been completely overcome by the Q7 and whoever was in the driver seat would have had their legs completely crushed.. ugh!! :eek:

The airbag looks to have burst to me and the drivers head missed it, but I could be wrong..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Jesus I'd seriously hate to be in that Fiat in that crash.

AudiChris posted that on the thread regarding the Maybach Smart car. and he did it to show how bad a small car is against a big car.

At least 1 of the Fiat people would be dead in a real life situation like that and I'm not particularly impressed by the airbag bursting...

And all this from a vehicle with a superior NCAP rating? Just goes to show how relative the NCAP rating is to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Airbags are not designed to keep you from getting a headake. They are designed to help you not die. The dummy does hit the side but the force has been absorbed by the airbag at this stage. I'd' happily walk away from this crash with only anadin required. The bags don't burst they deflate immediately to prevent you smothering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I find it quite amazing that something the size of a Q7 can't even manage 5 stars in the euro NCAP, something FIAT can manage even in a supermini.

egan007 wrote: »
    Airbags are not designed to keep you from getting a headake. They are designed to help you not die. The dummy does hit the side but the force has been absorbed by the airbag at this stage. I'd' happily walk away from this crash with only anadin required. The bags don't burst they deflate immediately to prevent you smothering.

so your keen eyes can tell how much force was acting on the dummies head? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Here is another small vs large, Polo (900KG ish) vs Phaeton (2.6tons):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFMrx3BGXpQ

And they say mass is doesnt matter anymore thanks to crumple zones..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anan1 wrote: »
    I find it quite amazing that something the size of a Q7 can't even manage 5 stars in the euro NCAP, something FIAT can manage even in a supermini.

Bear in mind that you lose points in Euro NCAP tests for lack of stickers warning about assorted junk, which makes the whole 4star vs 5star thing a wee bit misleading no?

Seems to have done well anyhow:
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/audi_q7_2006/262.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

so your keen eyes can tell how much force was acting on the dummies head? :rolleyes:

Er...no mr rolleyes i leave that up to NCAP.

egan007 wrote: »
    Er...no mr rolleyes i leave that up to NCAP.

Er...that wasn't a NCAP test, genius! it was a german ADAC test.

NCAP test involves hitting a stationary deformable test rig, not a moving Audi Q7.

NCAP result has nothing to do with the test shown in the video...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Bear in mind that you lose points in Euro NCAP tests for lack of stickers warning about assorted junk, which makes the whole 4star vs 5star thing a wee bit misleading no?

Seems to have done well anyhow:
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/audi_q7_2006/262.aspx
    Well?? It didn't even do as well as the FIAT 500!:confused:

pretty clear i think...?

Hitting after having virtually all force removed by the two airbags and at a point when the car was stationary = not going to cause death, brain damage, or more than a headache.

My knowledge of physics can tell that, something you appear to be lacking. The drivers head hits the airbag, that in itself will remove almost all the forces acting on it. It then hits the side cushion airbag. Its final resting position isn't in any way unnatural for that kind of collision and indeed we can't actually tell if it made any contact with the door at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The FIAT ends up going back the way it came while the Audi, ploughs on. Much greater forces etc so I'd say definitely a hugely higher chance of fatal injury in the 500.

Hitting after having virtually all force removed by the two airbags and at a point when the car was stationary = not going to cause death, brain damage, or more than a headache.

My knowledge of physics can tell that, something you appear to be lacking. The drivers head hits the airbag, that in itself will remove almost all the forces acting on it. It then hits the side cushion airbag. Its final resting position isn't in any way unnatural for that kind of collision and indeed we can't actually tell if it made any contact with the door at all.

"we" can clearly can clearly see contact was made (look at my second pic, the head deforms which shows the force of impact) i can't believe you're still denying impact! never mind trying to dazzle us with your "knowledge of physics"?!

Your knowledge of physics is as impressive as your grasp of reality!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

give it up dude, you were 'caught rapid' as it were. just making a fool of yourself now..

copacetic wrote: »
    give it up dude, you were 'caught rapid' as it were. just making a fool of yourself now..

Um, no I'm not.

We've got someone trying to defy Newton here for a starter, if you want to go after someone 'making a fool' of themselves. There will have been feck-all force if any left at the time of the "impact" that we can't actually tell for sure if it happened or not - considering the window didn't break, for one thing.

Um, no I'm not.

We've got someone trying to defy Newton here for a starter, if you want to go after someone 'making a fool' of themselves. There will have been feck-all force if any left at the time of the "impact" that we can't actually tell for sure if it happened or not - considering the window didn't break, for one thing.

window? what window?!! you mean the windows that were removed or at least down?!!! :rolleyes:

DUDE!!! have you even watched the video?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The diagram in the linked pictures shows severe injuries in red ...unfortunately it's not looking good for the people in the Fiat.

The main reason for this is that the Q7 has a longitudeonal chassis member that basically drills right into the Fiat whilst offering no horizontal crashbar for the Fiat to dissipate energy against.

So not only does the Q7 have a much higher mass, it also slices right through the Fiat which means that the Fiat comes to a very sudden stop whereas the Q7 carries its momentum for longer, resulting in a "soft landing" for its passengers.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/automobil/403/303398/zoom_0_0

window? what window?!! you mean the windows that were removed or at least down?!!! :rolleyes:

DUDE!!! have you even watched the video?!!!

Yes, you can't tell that from a grainy video though.

Point is - the airbags did their job. The majority of the force which they could dissapate *was* dissapated by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

To end the speculation about the Fiat driver's injuries, here are the results for both cars.
    Fiat
    Fiat_500_xxl_tcm8-223188.jpg
    Audi
    Q7_xxl_tcm8-223187.jpg
    As can be seen the Fiat offers adequate protection for the driver's head but poor protection for his neck. Also poor protection for most of the driver's legs but adequate protection for his feet. The children in the back seat are also poorly protected but the front seat passenger fares well.

Yes, you can't tell that from a grainy video though.

Point is - the airbags did their job. The majority of the force which they could dissapate *was* dissapated by them.

now you're arguing that there WERE side windows?!! jesus, give up! :eek:

now you're arguing that there WERE side windows?!! jesus, give up! :eek:

I'm not, I'm saying that you can't see if there were or not.

I've nothing to "give up". The airbags didn't malfunction, didn't do anything they weren't meant to do, and wouldn't have changed what happened had they done anything else.

Now, are you going to 'give up' insisting that the dummy hit the door when its absolutely impossible to tell if it did or not?

The German ADAC conducted a crash test that involved a large SUV, the Audi Q7 and a mini, the Fiat 500. The results of the test say that, even if the small car has a very good safety rating, there are very little chances of survival for the passengers of the small car.

Even if the EuroNCAP results for the Fiat 500 were confirmed, ADAC measured very high stresses on the passenger during the crash. The head and knee airbags were overwhelmed. The airbag for the driver can cause an impact with the A-pillar and it doesn't offer protection for the chest impact. This is due to the fact the it fires too late to prevent injury. In the case of this crash, if there were two children in the back of the Fiat 500, they wouldn't have survived

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Audi-Q7-vs-Fiat-500-Crash-Test.html

• Advertisement

The German ADAC conducted a crash test that involved a large SUV, the Audi Q7 and a mini, the Fiat 500. The results of the test say that, even if the small car has a very good safety rating, there are very little chances of survival for the passengers of the small car.

Even if the EuroNCAP results for the Fiat 500 were confirmed, ADAC measured very high stresses on the passenger during the crash. The head and knee airbags were overwhelmed. The airbag for the driver can cause an impact with the A-pillar and it doesn't offer protection for the chest impact. [n]This is due to the fact the it fires too late to prevent injury.[/b] In the case of this crash, if there were two children in the back of the Fiat 500, they wouldn't have survived

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Audi-Q7-vs-Fiat-500-Crash-Test.html

If you look at the position of the dummies head, its beyond where the airbag extends to - firing time has nothing to do with it. If the firing time was wrong, it would have had the majority of its NCAP stars withheld, just like the Nissan Navara did until it was updated.

Advertisement