Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new powers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Scouser wrote: »
    they have all been full of fire and brimstone from what I have heard

first step to change

Dont think i will hold my breath to the front they are full of fire, but the people who are supposed to be overseeing the reserves in the park will soon pour cold water on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Is there going to be an announcement about our powers on the 8th Sep when the new recruits startin Templemore ??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    Is there going to be an announcement about our powers on the 8th Sep when the new recruits startin Templemore ??

Have you heard something or is it just hearsay??

Not heard anything, but at a recent meeting we were told the powers were imminent and with new recruits going in to Templemore, what a perfect opportunity to release them to us

Not heard anything, but at a recent meeting we were told the powers were imminent and with new recruits going in to Templemore, what a perfect opportunity to release them to us

Lets keep the fingers crossed on this one. Would be nice to finally be able to feel as if you are making a contribution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

If you did the up skill course, you should know.

In fairness to call it 'a course' is a bit of a joke, more of a day out in Templemore if truth be told.

gilly2308 wrote: »
    In fairness to call it 'a course' is a bit of a joke, more of a day out in Templemore if truth be told.

I thought it was very informative , gave us a better idea as to when we should use the new powers and more importantly when we should exercise discretion. My brother was on a different day and he found it the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Mountain Man

tg123 wrote: »
    I thought it was very informative , gave us a better idea as to when we should use the new powers and more importantly when we should exercise discretion. My brother was on a different day and he found it the same .

Have to agree with.gilly 2308 on this, it could have been sent to us all on a PDF. The final advice given ,about using our new powers, when we get them, was truly bizarre!!

Have to agree with.gilly 2308 on this, it could have been sent to us all on a PDF. The final advice given ,about using our new powers, when we get them, was truly bizarre!!

Ha ha ha ha you just have to love them now when you get your powers "dont" use them let the full timers do the work pmsl great advice from the team leaders. "Not"

bluetop wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha you just have to love them now when you get your powers "dont" use them let the full timers do the work pmsl great advice from the team leaders. "Not"

I thought it was a sensible piece of advice , after all if you make the arrest you need to be prepared to go to court. Made sense to me . My brother was involved in a couple of incidents and had to take the time out of work to attend as a witness. So the instructors are highlighting the pit falls for those Reserves who make an arrest when it may be a more sensible approach to let the full time member do it. Of course this does not take into account a situation where each member has a prisoner , you may have no choice in the matter.

• Advertisement

I thought it was a sensible piece of advice , after all if you make the arrest you need to be prepared to go to court. Made sense to me . My brother was involved in a couple of incidents and had to take the time out of work to attend as a witness. So the instructors are highlighting the pit falls for those Reserves who make an arrest when it may be a more sensible approach to let the full time member do it. Of course this does not take into account a situation where each member has a prisoner , you may have no choice in the matter.

You knew when you signed up that you might have to go to court, its all part and parcel of what you do, its also another reason the FT dont want reserves with them as they cant do nothing, if the powers were granted then you could do your bit as well and not just sit pretty in yellow in the back of the car, or walk around like what was it the GRA said ...... ohh yes a scarecrow and having to be babysat.

you are either in it to pull your weight and take your duties seriously or standby and let others do all the work, which is the main reason the garda reserves dont work, its like having your cake and eating it.

What's the odds that in three or four years time they will finally decide to release these powers to Reserves, but firstly they will decide that all Reserves need to go back down to Templemore for a refresher course. It may be laughable, but sadly not beyond the realms of possibility

You knew when you signed up that you might have to go to court, its all part and parcel of what you do, its also another reason the FT dont want reserves with them as they cant do nothing, if the powers were granted then you could do your bit as well and not just sit pretty in yellow in the back of the car, or walk around like what was it the GRA said ...... ohh yes a scarecrow and having to be babysat.

you are either in it to pull your weight and take your duties seriously or standby and let others do all the work, which is the main reason the garda reserves dont work, its like having your cake and eating it.

Fair point bluetop and in all fairness I can't argue with most of what you say, however the fact that we have to be 'babysat' or are seen as 'scarecrows' by some full-timers is not our fault, it's the fault of spineless, gutless management who don't have the will or the balls to give the Garda Reserve the teeth it deserves. I have been saying for years that the Garda Reserve serves little or no purpose in it's present guise, so either give us proper responsibilities and fit for purpose powers, or scrap the Reserve altogether.
    A proper two year training programme should be brought in, something akin to the Special Constabulary where after two years of intense monitoring and training you must have attained IPS (Independent Patrol Status), otherwise you're kicked out. You would then up with well trained dedicated Reserves who are an actual asset to the Gardai, rather than the current situation of 1300 poorly trained Reserves, only half of whom actually turn up with any regularity, and the other half who are just totally disillusioned with the the whole situation. The current situation is not of our making, but we are being hung out to dry by totally inept management and the GRA who will never accept the Reserve, and only grudgingly accept us once we have little or no powers or responsibilities.

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Fair point bluetop and in all fairness I can't argue with most of what you say, however the fact that we have to be 'babysat' or are seen as 'scarecrows' by some full-timers is not our fault, it's the fault of spineless, gutless management who don't have the will or the balls to give the Garda Reserve the teeth it deserves. I have been saying for years that the Garda Reserve serves little or no purpose in it's present guise, so either give us proper responsibilities and fit for purpose powers, or scrap the Reserve altogether.
    A proper two year training programme should be brought in, something akin to the Special Constabulary where after two years of intense monitoring and training you must have attained IPS (Independent Patrol Status), otherwise you're kicked out. You would then up with well trained dedicated Reserves who are an actual asset to the Gardai, rather than the current situation of 1300 poorly trained Reserves, only half of whom actually turn up with any regularity, and the other half who are just totally disillusioned with the the whole situation. The current situation is not of our making, but we are being hung out to dry by totally inept management and the GRA who will never accept the Reserve, and only grudgingly accept us once we have little or no powers or responsibilities.

All good points and one would expect that senior managers took some of the comments made at the recent Reserve meetings back to the Commissioner. Who knows she may even be listening to her son who is a current serving reserve.

All good points and one would expect that senior managers took some of the comments made at the recent Reserve meetings back to the Commissioner. Who knows she may even be listening to her son who is a current serving reserve.

Now you are making me laugh, how long are you a reserve member if you dont mind me asking, if the last meeting are anything like the ones years ago they will come and go, the papers written on might make good bedding for the dog after its been shredded.

Now you are making me laugh, how long are you a reserve member if you dont mind me asking, if the last meeting are anything like the ones years ago they will come and go, the papers written on might make good bedding for the dog after its been shredded.

Bluetop not that it makes a difference to the validity of my opinion my brother and I joined about six years ago. We can all be negative about so many things with regard to the reserve but I tend to keep a positive outlook and this reflects in the way I carry out my duties.
    Yes it is frustrating at times but then the option for those who are unhappy is to resign. I myself take the view that I value the experience and like my brother who will be joining the regular next Monday I will be using the time to gain as much experience as I can so that when I finish my education I will apply and fingers crossed get the opportunity to join the regular.

I see the Commissioner and Justice Minister were in Templemore today to welcome the new recruits.
    There is nothing in the media about us getting our new power.
    We will never see them id say at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I see the Commissioner and Justice Minister were in Templemore today to welcome the new recruits.
    There is nothing in the media about us getting our new power.
    We will never see them id say at this stage.

Not all reserves out there are ready emotionally for this HUGE step-up in responsbility. You give powers to one, you give to all. When those who are not ready don't jump in and get stuck in when needed, a sh!t-storm will follow.

It would be nice for those who are ready in every way to know when this will happen, but I know more than a few who breath a sigh of relief with each passing day they don't have them.

Wonder will everyone have to do some refresher, maybe with their own local CPD-instructor or if that could be possible for those who feel they themselves are not ready.
    Would the local CPD-instructor be able to assist with this I wonder,
    kerry4sam

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-11-05a.284&s=garda+reserve

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I am informed by the Commissioner that the training of all the Garda Reserve in the new powers will be completed shortly.

Longest training course i have ever heard. Two years and still going...........................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I am informed by the Commissioner that the training of all the Garda Reserve in the new powers will be completed shortly.

Longest training course i have ever heard. Two years and still going...........................

It could be twenty years and it will still be going. Like anything in the country someone has to get seriously injured or killed before any changes are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Garda Inspectorate Report published today.
    ''It also noted that Garda reserves were not being utilised, supervised, or directed.''

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1111/658385-garda-inspectorate/

D Trent wrote: »
    ''It also noted that Garda reserves were not being utilised, supervised, or directed.''

The Report is really comprehensive in regard to the entire organisation but the sections relating to the Reserve are truly ground breaking . The influence of other Police forces can be seen throughout. Will the recommendations be acted upon , one would hope so. If so then it is a game changer . An opportunity for those of us who have been in the Garda Reserve a long time to finally get the opportunity to contribute and really assist our full time colleagues in a way that may change forever the attitude which has dogged the reserve from its inception in 2006. This will make all of our past work worthwhile and help to retain the numbers and really offer those who are interested in joining a solid platform from which to learn , serve and make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

D Trent wrote: »

The Report is really comprehensive in regard to the entire organisation but the sections relating to the Reserve are truly ground breaking . The influence of other Police forces can be seen throughout. Will the recommendations be acted upon , one would hope so. If so then it is a game changer . An opportunity for those of us who have been in the Garda Reserve a long time to finally get the opportunity to contribute and really assist our full time colleagues in a way that may change forever the attitude which has dogged the reserve from its inception in 2006. This will make all of our past work worthwhile and help to retain the numbers and really offer those who are interested in joining a solid platform from which to learn , serve and make a difference.

Recommendations relating to Garda Reserves are long term classified amongst 200 other recommendations, so don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Peppa Cig wrote: »

Recommendations relating to Garda Reserves are long term classified amongst 200 other recommendations, so don't hold your breath.

What were the reserve recommendations ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

3fullback wrote: »

What were the reserve recommendations ?

Independent patrol and more laws for Reserve if deemed competent to use them.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    3fullback wrote: »

Independent patrol and more laws for Reserve if deemed competent to use them.

The Inspectorate in fairness has highlighted pretty much exactly what we have been shouting about for years, the fact that we're pretty much under utilised, insufficient powers, and most importantly of all the fact that we can't patrol on our own. However sadly as we all know, the Gardai like most Public Sector organisations in this country hate change, and most of these recommendations will end up in the bin, and ten years from now if the Reserve is still going, we will still be wondering if we'll ever get fit for purpose powers, or be allowed to patrol on our own with other Reserves.

See pages 17, 57 and primarily page 142, recommendation 3.15.

I must have missed that training, or did that joke of a day down in Templemore constitute our training in new powers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yeah they are, but truth was spoken and the way things currently are was acknowledged - that is a nice step forward in my eyes. Hopefully a positive step forward to progress and movement with members. I know not all are ready, but some certainly are and it would do their commitment-to-date justice if positive movement were to happen soon.

Three Months since the last post!! Any one any news on Powers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

a dead end there id say! :/

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »
    a dead end there id say! :/

I agree. Time to hand in the notice id say...

I agree. Time to hand in the notice id say...

No chance of me resigning . After all the training and hours I have put in.
    Am in for the long haul................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

No chance of me resigning . After all the training and hours I have put in.
    Am in for the long haul................

Just don't expect from it
    All that you have put in

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blarney15

Are there any reserves left to give these new powers to? There was 10 reserves assigned to my station... 8 resigned including myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

blarney15 wrote: »
    Are there any reserves left to give these new powers to? There was 10 reserves assigned to my station... 8 resigned including myself.

Templemore training of Reserves is winding down, recruitment of fresh reserves is winding down, resignation of existing reserves is increasing. Those that are left - More and more existing reserves not attending for duty. Majority not completing hours (based on 3 stations). Overall contribution of Reserves in terms of man hours now negligible.

Won't be long now before it is abandoned (officially/unofficially) and the focus will be solely on full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Won't be long now before it is abandoned (officially/unofficially) and the focus will be solely on full time.

Wont be long?? Think that has happened already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

in the latest campaign being a reserve made such minuscule difference you d be better off with someother type of organised community work etc etc

not some organisation that takes a year to do a background check,
    complete shambles of a set up, and should be scrapped,

unless you can bring in exp assistance from the likes of the uk (who have successfully implemented PSCO's )its fruitless

focus should be on FT imo

Templemore training of Reserves is winding down, recruitment of fresh reserves is winding down, resignation of existing reserves is increasing. Those that are left - More and more existing reserves not attending for duty. Majority not completing hours (based on 3 stations). Overall contribution of Reserves in terms of man hours now negligible.

And who would you say is at fault for this failure of the reserves ?? poor management, no direction, lack of integration .

They had 1500 reserves all willing to come in be another pair of boots on the beat all for free, what did they do with it "nothing".

The biggest problem with the AGS is change they are afraid of it instead of embracing it, look at the Uk they system works fantastic another reason an insider got the position of commissioner, leaders were afraid if they brought an outsider in to the system the system that is broken would be fixed.... ohh we cant be having that something getting fixed.

AGS is a stuck in the time a draconian system that needs a complete overhaul which i personally would say would have happened if they had hired from outside the outdated service thats in situ now.

So Peppa Cig who is to blame ?? the reserves !!

Such negativity ....wonder what is driving it. Is this poster a reserve ??
    His or her information is wrong training of reserves is ongoing at the college 24 reserves moved to the fulltime and will out in may and this was just the first batch. For those of you who are in the process of waiting to be called for the reserves take heart dont listen to all the rubbish that sometimes gets posted here.believe me its well worth the wait

believe me its well worth the wait

What planet are you on!!

• Advertisement

blarney15 wrote: »
    What planet are you on!!

The same planet as you just a
    More positive attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

''Templemore training of Reserves is winding down, recruitment of fresh reserves is winding down, resignation of existing reserves is increasing''

This i believe , but there only winding down because of the full time , and the ones leaving are sore about not getting full time.

"Won't be long now before it is abandoned (officially/unofficially) and the focus will be solely on full time."

This is bull**** , Ok the GR aint great but it there now there not guna go right will stop it nearly 10 years on. and for all the people that are leaving there are people waiting to take your place , me for one.
    I will say it is very un organised and iv been waiting 2 years now , but i have faith that something good will happen with the GR since its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

tg123 wrote:
    The same planet as you just a More positive attitude

well said, some are more dedicated and intrested than others.

SO7378 wrote: »
    well said, some are more dedicated and intrested than others.

Well said some are very dedicated .posted recently after seeing a picture on facebook about a tallaght reserve catching a burgular while he was on holidays now that is the level of dedication some reserves have

Extract for the 2015 Police Plan
    Fix
    •A new model of policing embracing cultural reform
    •Develop a workforce re-alignment process
    •21stcentury technology supporting a mobile and agile police service
    •Harness and develop our knowledge and skills
    •Implement Inspectorate recommendations *********

Changes are coming boys and girls , I hope we are all ready for them. I am sure we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Well said some are very dedicated .posted recently after seeing a picture on facebook about a tallaght reserve catching a burgular while he was on holidays now that is the level of dedication some reserves have

im still waiting on the Reserves and i dont plan on giving up, i work alot with the Gards and they all reckon il do fine, and that its just the waiting game. which it is if you are dedicated enough!

right this is my year , positive attitude , :D

Oh to be young again!

Just a question lads.

If we were to be granted the powers in the morning, do you think it would solve a lot of things??

My opinion would be that it would as we would become more useful.

• Advertisement

I think it would help alot.

Advertisement