Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Dónal wrote: »
    I really hope seventy is an exaggeration. Sixty is already a lot of money coming from one person before you take into account petrol, accommodation etc.

if you register with a charity there is no fee, you just collect what you can. (well that was the case last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well that is me all registered for Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014 - I'll be cycling this for my Late Loving Dad! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

I'm all signed up to.....
    Booked 2 nights in the hotel Kilarney last November....
    My first ROK and can't wait!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Noel Tallon

Maybe its just me but when I try to make my payment and enter an expiry date for my visa card it keeps asking me to register a valid expiry date even though I have used the date from the drop down list. The same message is returned for each of the dates. is anybody else having this issue?

I also note the reference to laser cards. I thought they were done away with a the end of last month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

70 quid

:eek:

thats pushing it - deffo pushing people into the 'charity approach'

• Advertisement

registered and already looking forward to it.

How long did it take for the confirmation email with barcode to come through? 10 mins later and still no sign of it (not in spam either!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KenDowling

Best to phone or email your chosen charity & they will put the ball in motion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My card will not work either, they use the same shoite system as the fort 2 fort cycle and for some reason willnot accept my card. BALLS, I have a hotel booked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

How long do people reckon before it books out? I certainly wont put it on the long finger but I know other people wanting to do it need to see their GAA fixtures etc...

bazzer86 wrote: »
    How long do people reckon before it books out? I certainly wont put it on the long finger but I know other people wanting to do it need to see their GAA fixtures etc...

Also how long before this forum fills up with folks ranting and raving that they could not get a place as they left it too late?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Just booked my first ring of Kerry cycle. Looking forward to it.

When do I choose the charity I would like to support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

yessam wrote: »

you either reg online or reg with a charity.If you reg online I don't think you can choose the charity.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Also how long before this forum fills up with folks ranting and raving that they could not get a place as they left it too late?!!

And when will that be, based on your experience of other years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Myself and the OH have signed up with a charity this year and I am looking forward to it but I can confirm we were told €70 if not with a charity. Up €10 on 2013.

shure last yr it didnt fill up till about a month before the cycle :cool:

bazzer86 wrote: »
    And when will that be, based on your experience of other years?

last year they closed registration on 11th June.

huge proportion of cyclists leave registration til late in the day due to different considerations (other sporting events, how their training is going etc)

tbh you could do the RoK without any training
    just make sure you have a decent / light bike

How long did it take for the confirmation email with barcode to come through? 10 mins later and still no sign of it (not in spam either!).

If you choose option 1, you get your barcode attached to your card, when it's sent out....or so it says on the confirmation email

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cyclohead

I have done the ROK for the past 2 years. enjoyed every single km of it. leave early and avoid the crowds. sure there are loads of inexperienced riders out there, but as you approach them from behind, you can generally judge their riding abilities and take precautions. if you need to, you can always give a simple call out such as 'careful' or 'mind your right'. food stops are perfect and plentiful and tasty when needed. caution should be taken on descents and be aware of others around you. the best cycle if the weather is good. A few jars afterwards then with friends tops off a great weekend. registered and accommodation booked for ROK 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

shure last yr it didnt fill up till about a month before the cycle :cool:

Last year was the first year they stopped taking registrations. You can almost be sure it'll fill up earlier this year because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

Just signed up - looking forward to ROK #4 for me. €70 is a bit steep, and €10 more than last year, but it really is a great cycling experience - nothing else compares, and as others have said - it is about the weekend in Killarney as much as the cycling itself. No problems with using credit card - just beware there are two separate drop down lists for the expiry date - month and year - both need to be populated. Got acknowledgement mail with bar code attachment within a matter of a minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

70 euro is a bit **** :( The greed has resurfaced

Looking at accomodation and it is nothing short of extortionate.

I will probably do it again but will have to make it a day trip :(

Would I be correct in saying that it would be easier to register with a charity, pay them 70 euro and get my bracelet and licence plate from them?? Queuing last year the night before for over an hour was ridiculous :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yazie

Hi all this will be my first ever ROK with a friend of mine
    Just registered this evening the wife and 4 kids are coming were going to make an extra long week end of it
    Our accommodation is booked a while now and were glamping has anybody stayed in killarney glamping before
    Looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

70yoyo is mental , nearly twice the price of many charity cycles not even mentioning the lack of a a goodie bag.

60 euro was steep last year , think organisers just don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

shaka wrote: »
    70yoyo is mental , nearly twice the price of many charity cycles not even mentioning the lack of a a goodie bag.

from personal experience of being involved with a charity the TOTAL amount given goes directly to the charity and often keeps it going for ayear or two with essential services

if you don't want to pay the money then don't and cycle the ring some other day yourself for free but in my opinion and experience there is nothing to compare to doing it on the ring of kerry cycle day. It's magic and everything you see and eat is provided for free! feeding 8000+ cyclists is no mean feat

I'm not criticising the people who says it should be cheaper should be a goodie bag etc etc but like I said you can choose to do it or choose not to do it

Nearly twice the price, but they will still get c . 10,000 entrants no bother... If they can get away with it, fair play to them. No one is being forced to do it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

It will sell out on a matter of weeks !! They get it ok ;)

If no goodie bag....is there still a complimentary shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yes, the organisers got it completely wrong. It explains why the cycle was full last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Have you ever priced a road closure of the size of the RoK?

lismore7 wrote: »
    If no goodie bag....is there still a complimentary shirt?

No you buy that too afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

No you buy that too afaik

How much will the jersey be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mine came through immediately. Has it arrived yet? If not, the contact details are on the site and they urge you to use them if no confirmation e-mail received after registering :)
    lismore7 wrote: »
    I'm all signed up to.....
    Booked 2 nights in the hotel Kilarney last November....
    My first ROK and can't wait!!!
    yessam wrote: »

Yazie wrote: »
    Hi all this will be my first ever ROK with a friend of mine

You are going to experience such a buzz; such a drive; such an emotional days cycling that you'll reminisce for years to come and return to cycle the Ring of Kerry again :)

/I may be biased

Hope the training is going well!
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

This is a charity cycle, not a sportif. The distinction is I feel crucial and lost on a lot of people. The organisers have a duty to maximise the amount raised for charity.
    On that basis I think it is appropriate that having turned away people in each o the past few ears that they raise the minimum acceptable donation.

Yes for some people €70 is a big dent in the wallet. so what there will be other cycles at a lower price. Accept it folks, the cost of this cycle will keep in reading once demand exists. There are no indications that the demand does not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I've registered. Looking forward to it. €70 is a bit steep but based on what people have said here I think it is worth it (just about)

A few things I noticed when registering:
    The site says "Registration will close on June 1st at 5.00pm or before this date if the committee sees fit. It may be necessary to limit the numbers due to constraints of health and safety." So June 1st is the last rego day and it will be earlier if numbers are too big.

There are two options initially. Option 1 is to pay €70 upfront and get a sponsorship card. You can then raise money through sponsorship and KEEP the first €70 you raise to cover what you have already paid to them and then return anything you raise over that along with the card. Option 2 is to pay a "Minimum Donation" of €70 outright and get no sponsorship card. I opted for the second option but if you are tight for cash then option 1 may help.

In Option 2 there is a field called "Amount" on the registration form. That is the "Donation" you are making. It defaults to €500 not €70. The payment screen only contains fields to enter your card details and NOT the amount you are paying. If you accidently leave it as 500 you won't see that you are paying €500. So be careful. It should default to the minimum and allow people to choose to pay more but instead it defaults to the maximum and you have to choose to pay less.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    This is a charity cycle, not a sportif. The distinction is I feel crucial and lost on a lot of people. The organisers have a duty to maximise the amount raised for charity.
    On that basis I think it is appropriate that having turned away people in each o the past few ears that they raise the minimum acceptable donation.

Yes for some people €70 is a big dent in the wallet. so what there will be other cycles at a lower price. Accept it folks, the cost of this cycle will keep in reading once demand exists. There are no indications that the demand does not exist.
    Yes it's a charity cycle like many others that exist. That distinction is not lost on me, other worthy charity cycles cos much less than this entry fee. Last few I supported cost circa 30 euro. This is for Kerry only charity's but draws from all around the country, it's not easy to get sponsorship from people for a charity that isnt benefitting your locality .

No excuse for charging 70 whether demand exists or not.60 euro was ott last year. The insistence Of a minimum amount created a loss of good will amongst many I know to the point that theypaid the minimum and no more as opposed to previous years

I don't believe because something is popular it should automatically be double the price.

Last year was the first they turned away people because of Garda restrictions?
    Sure they will fill it again this year but falling out of love withis event a little more this year :(

did anyone get confirm email with the barcode? If so what is the "from" email address on it so I can whitelist and search for it in my inbox? I did not get mine and a friend of mine who registered around same time did not get one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Yes it's a charity cycle like many others that exist. That distinction is not lost on me, other worthy charity cycles cos much less than this entry fee. Last few I supported cost circa 30 euro. This is for Kerry only charity's but draws from all around the country, it's not easy to get sponsorship from people for a charity that isnt benefitting your locality .

No excuse for charging 70 whether demand exists or not.60 euro was ott last year. The insistence Of a minimum amount created a loss of good will amongst many I know to the point that theypaid the minimum and no more as opposed to previous years

I don't believe because something is popular it should automatically be double the price.

Last year was the first they turned away people because of Garda restrictions?
    Sure they will fill it again this year but falling out of love withis event a little more this year :(

The ROK started as a small local cycle, a local fundraiser to raise money for local charities. Through the hard work of the committee over the years and with the resurgence in Irish cycling the event has gotten bigger and bigger to the point where it is one of the largest cycles in the country however the ethos of supporting local charities remains.

Yes, the supported charities are local, however if you look at what the likes of the Kerry Mountain Rescue (2013 beneficiary) and Pieta House (2014 beneficiary) do you'll find that their goodwill and effect extends far beyond the local community.

The minimum donation concept was introduced last year because people were dropping in cards with 2/3 euro in them in previous years which is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the organisers who break their backs preparing months in advance. It's a charity event and IMO one of the best and most impressively organised cycling events in Ireland. Look at other cycling events of a similar distance and you will find that the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is similarly priced (taking into consideration that it is a 180Km charity cycle and the emphasis is on raising money for charitable causes).

The organisation of the ROK is second to none, and it improves year by year. Before losing your goodwill perhaps have a look around the cycling forums and see what others have to said about the ROK in previous years, and about some of the other cycling events. Look at it from any way you want (marshalling, repairs, first aid, road closures, food stops) and IMO this cycle is one of the best out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

did anyone get confirm email with the barcode? If so what is the "from" email address on it so I can whitelist and search for it in my inbox? I did not get mine and a friend of mine who registered around same time did not get one either.
    From - office@ringofkerrycycle.ie

I got mine about 2 minutes after registering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It think it may be you who doesn't get it! They have a product to sell for charity in which there is heavy demand. Why would they sell for less? Comparisons with other charity cycles are irrelevant as their fees are lower to attract entries. The ROK is not mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

The ROK started as a small local cycle, a local fundraiser to raise money for local charities. Through the hard work of the committee over the years and with the resurgence in Irish cycling the event has gotten bigger and bigger to the point where it is one of the largest cycles in the country however the ethos of supporting local charities remains.

Yes, the supported charities are local, however if you look at what the likes of the Kerry Mountain Rescue (2013 beneficiary) and Pieta House (2014 beneficiary) do you'll find that their goodwill and effect extends far beyond the local community.

The minimum donation concept was introduced last year because people were dropping in cards with 2/3 euro in them in previous years which is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the organisers who break their backs preparing months in advance. It's a charity event and IMO one of the best and most impressively organised cycling events in Ireland. Look at other cycling events of a similar distance and you will find that the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is similarly priced (taking into consideration that it is a 180Km charity cycle and the emphasis is on raising money for charitable causes).

The organisation of the ROK is second to none, and it improves year by year. Before losing your goodwill perhaps have a look around the cycling forums and see what others have to said about the ROK in previous years, and about some of the other cycling events. Look at it from any way you want (marshalling, repairs, first aid, road closures, food stops) and IMO this cycle is one of the best out there.

I have done 12 Ring of Kerry cycles at this stage and I know of people in my group who have done closer to 20. Every year we would have made a reasonable voluntary donation (circa €50) because as you said yourself it is a charity cycle and in aid of very worthy causes. My issue with this is that there are a huge number of cyclists from outside Munster who travel down each year who have to pay travel expenses, accomodation and food/drink as well as the entry fee. What will happen then is that it will discourage people from outside the area to take part as it is becoming too expensive, it is a great event and extremely well run but to ask people to fork out € 70 is in my opinion a little bit much, especially as it was € 60 last year so by that logic will it be € 80 next year. It is that which will damage the goodwill towards the event.

From - office@ringofkerrycycle.ie

I got mine about 2 minutes after registering.

Thanks - I definitely did not get a confirm.

I emailed then to see what happened.

Thank you

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

8,500 people did the cycle last year. It raised more than €1.1 million. That's an average of €135 a head. It's not like the event isn't getting a very big return per capita.

Imposing stringent conditions, such as a high minimum fundraising requirement, on participants, seems to be punishing the majority for the sins of the minority. I've no doubt some people take the mick, but is this really going to make them raise more money or will it just tempt them to do it without signing on?

I've done this event several times but stuff like this and the hostile attitude of the organisers towards club cyclists in previous years leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I reg'd about 4 o clock yesterday and didn't receive a confirmation email either, was about to email them myself but I'll wait to hear how you got on.

I reg'd about 4 o clock yesterday and didn't receive a confirmation email either, was about to email them myself but I'll wait to hear how you got on.

I see the €70 on my credit card so the transaction worked.

I got my confirmation email but no bar code.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Onefortysix

Anyone have a map my ride map for the ROK like the W200 have? I'd be interested to see the elevation profile.

Thanks a mil

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Anyone have a map my ride map for the ROK like the W200 have? I'd be interested to see the elevation profile.

Thanks a mil

already posted, post 71

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88595676&postcount=71

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Onefortysix

Oops didn't see it. Thanks.

8,500 people did the cycle last year. It raised more than €1.1 million. That's an average of €135 a head. It's not like the event isn't getting a very big return per capita.

Imposing stringent conditions, such as a high minimum fundraising requirement, on participants, seems to be punishing the majority for the sins of the minority. I've no doubt some people take the mick, but is this really going to make them raise more money or will it just tempt them to do it without signing on?

I've done this event several times but stuff like this and the hostile attitude of the organisers towards club cyclists in previous years leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

They did stress that if you do not have a number, you wont be able to do it? Not sure if that will work effectively. Why have the organisers a hostile attitude towards clubs?

Is there a noticeable issue with plonkers thinking they are riding the tour de France and abusing people to get out of their way?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement