Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exercise in pregnancy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I want to get one of those belly support bands, feel like I'll need it soon. Any recommendations?

The one I had was Velcro and overlapped. I think in hindsight I would have been better off with a seamless one as once it was washed a couple of times the edges got sort of lumpy and uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    The one I had was Velcro and overlapped. I think in hindsight I would have been better off with a seamless one as once it was washed a couple of times the edges got sort of lumpy and uncomfortable.

Thanks for the advice Rosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

I want to get one of those belly support bands, feel like I'll need it soon. Any recommendations?

I have no personal recommendations for the band, but I've been reading this woman's blog for a few years now, she clocked up serious mileage during her pregnancy and she recommended 'motherhood the ultimate maternity belt' you can buy it on amazon for $18- I'm not sure if I'm allowed post links up here but if you can't find it let me know and I'll PM you. She ran all through her pregnancy as far as I know, not sure if she changed belts or kept this one the whole way through.

I think I stopped running around the week you're in now-I remember the loo thing alright, one on occasion I had been out for nearly an hour and even though I went twice before leaving my house, I barely made it to this hotel on my route, I probably looked pretty funny running into the lobby with my bump straight past reception and into the jacks!

Loving the swimming! I am so so glad I joined the pool. I try to go at quiet times so no really fast men plough into me, lol. Still miss running but it will happen again :)

Delighted you are still running though! How is it feeling in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Swimming has really come into its own for me now - I'm just about at the 32 week mark and my bump has exploded in size over the last couple of weeks, walking is starting to get painful and I get a terrible stitch on the underside of my belly. But when I swim I'm lovely and weightless and my back loves it. The only problem is when I get out of the pool I realise how heavy I am again :D

Jerrica I'm getting the underbelly stitches too, no fun!

• Advertisement

Cameoette wrote: »
    Jerrica I'm getting the underbelly stitches too, no fun!

They're horrible aren't they? I was talking to my Pilates teacher about it and she just said it's a real sign that my body needs to slow down. I think I'll only be doing light walking, Pilates and swimming from here on in. Not long to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Only been for one run this week. Feeling a bit guilty but getting another cold and am going on hols on Wed so don't wanna be sick. No excuse really. I'm also just feeling lazy and the weather is yuck. I need to get my yoga and pilates DVDs going again!
    Starting to get that annoying need to go for a wee 5 times before going for a run and then 5 mins down the road i feel i need to go again! 20 weeks today. Last time i ran till i was about 32 weeks but i feel so much bigger this time!! I'll be lucky if i run for that long!

'motherhood the ultimate maternity belt'

I probably looked pretty funny running into the lobby with my bump straight past reception and into the jacks!

Loving the swimming! I am so so glad I joined the pool. I try to go at quiet times so no really fast men plough into me, lol. Still miss running but it will happen again :)

Delighted you are still running though! How is it feeling in general?

Thanks Cameoette, I found that belt online, I might give it a go.

lol at you running through that hotel! :D

The running is feeling ok these days to be honest. Much much better than the first trimester. I'm doing about 9.30-10.30 min/mile for about 3-4 mile Tuesday and Thursday, then try to get another 3 mile on Sat and a 6 on Sunday. The weekend runs don't always happen as planned as we've been busy lately. I had to stop one day as I got a really bad stretchy pain in my lower stomach and couldn't continue. But most days I'm able to plod along ok, the first half mile or so is a bit rough but I settle into it. I'm arranging to run with a couple of friends who are about that pace as it is too easy to give up or go slow if I'm out by myself. I can do it fine when I'm with them so it is just in my head. I don't really feel the bump as being a weight or problem at the moment, which is handy (apart from the loo bit). And I feel better after running, like I didn't run last weekend at all and I felt a bit off until I ran again on Tues.

I'm just taking each run as it comes and I'll keep it up for as long as it feels ok.

I think in a few weeks I'll be dying for the weightless feeling of the pool :)

Only been for one run this week. Feeling a bit guilty but getting another cold and am going on hols on Wed so don't wanna be sick. No excuse really. I'm also just feeling lazy and the weather is yuck. I need to get my yoga and pilates DVDs going again!
    Starting to get that annoying need to go for a wee 5 times before going for a run and then 5 mins down the road i feel i need to go again! 20 weeks today. Last time i ran till i was about 32 weeks but i feel so much bigger this time!! I'll be lucky if i run for that long!

Enjoy the hols! Don't be risking getting sick before them!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

The cold arrived and I've barely been able to get any sleep the last 2 nights with coughing and sniffling. Add to that the fact that my 15 month old was up bawling for half the night and I am wrecked :(
    Ah well, off on hols tomorrow so i can't complain. Running gear coming too and we'll have our own pool so hopefully I'll get a bit of swimming done. CANNNOT WAIT!!

• Advertisement

Aw have a lovely holiday househunter! Sounds just the ticket! Hope the cold goes away quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

So.. got to 17 weeks and all of a sudden none of my gym gear fits me...:eek: well it does but I look ginormous in it.. Is it possible to get gym gear for pregnant people or are we forgotten about?? I've had a quick look online but all i can find is yoga gear.. I'm looking for something that'll give a little support too.. Help...!!

cbyrd wrote: »
    So.. got to 17 weeks and all of a sudden none of my gym gear fits me...:eek: well it does but I look ginormous in it.. Is it possible to get gym gear for pregnant people or are we forgotten about?? I've had a quick look online but all i can find is yoga gear.. I'm looking for something that'll give a little support too.. Help...!!

This! There is a dearth of exercise gear for pregnant women. I'm getting a bit annoyed by it now. I want a pair of shorts as the bump is making the waistband a bit tight. None of the sports shops in the city here do them, not even online. I've emailed two of them to ask if they do, one replied that they are 'looking into stocking pregnancy apparel', which is a PFO IMO. grrr.

Gap maternity have a few things online, but it isn't great sports gear tbh. I found this on runner's world (which also has a few nice articles on exercise in pregnancy):
    www.runnersworld.com/womens-running/fashionably-fit-maternity-running-gear

Cameoette mentioned a support belt you can get online in an earlier post:
    "'motherhood the ultimate maternity belt' you can buy it on amazon for $18"

Good luck!

I was really surprised to find no maternity exercise wear!

While I was still running I wore a lululemon top I got in the states last year (think they are in Dublin now, could be wrong?) that happened to be loose around the tummy (the 'run swiftly tech racerback'). I think it would have probably lasted me until now (nearly 29 weeks) but probably for not much after that.

With that I wore a pair of black mothercare leggings and that was my only working out outfit really!

Edited to say I AM wrong, no Lululemon in Dublin

I was really surprised to find no maternity exercise wear!

While I was still running I wore a lululemon top I got in the states last year (think they are in Dublin now, could be wrong?) that happened to be loose around the tummy (the 'run swiftly tech racerback'). I think it would have probably lasted me until now (nearly 29 weeks) but probably for not much after that.

With that I wore a pair of black mothercare leggings and that was my only working out outfit really!

Edited to say I AM wrong, no Lululemon in Dublin

Ah, but there is one just 3 blocks from my house that I didn't think to check. Thanks Cameoette, I'll check them out! Sorry there sin't one in Ireland.

to continue the rant, I think the reason it is annoying me is that I suddenly feel like I'm invisible, that I shouldn't even be in a sports shop because, as a pregnant woman, they have nothing for me!

I do find it funny that as pregnant women, we are advised to exercise, but even if we get cleared by docs/midwives to continue the level of exercise we might have been doing before pregnancy, that sports clothing manufacturers haven't caught up to that idea yet! Yoga is great for pregnancy yet shouldn't be the only maternity clothing available in sportswear...it's like yeah you should exercise, but not on your terms any more. I find this mirrored in people's reactions too- if I said I was swimming or doing yoga, people I talked to were really supportive, but when I said I was still running, a lot of people didn't react so positively, even though my doc was happy for me to run.

I dunno, maybe there's a niche in the sports apparel market here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

There's a closing down sale here so everything is going for a snip - looks like nice quality too

http://www.sportybump.co.uk/products.php?cat=9

These look nice

http://fitandfabulous.co.uk/product-category/maternity-sportswear-2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Its not only the sportswear, i cannot get any maternity wear in the town i live in:rolleyes: never could, this is my 5th and i've never had maternity wear.. i was lucky enough not to get too big..! I'm the only pregnant woman in my gym too and at 17 weeks.

I'm not showing yet but just look like i've put on weight, which is crap cos i lost 4.5 stone and it being a small gym a lot of people would know how hard i worked.. and now i look like i'm in reverse.. a few people know about my knee injury and i'm using that as my 'excuse' ... I just can't wait to get out of the looking fat stage and looking like i have a bump..! :( although all my gym gear is size 8-10 and i've moved up to a 12 in the last 2-3 weeks... :eek:

Thanks for the replies.. I'll be over in England in a few weeks, I might go shopping over there!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Went for my first run postpartum & first since Nov yesterday. Went better than expected! Did a 6k, ran most except the 3rd quarter, I walk/jogged. Sides a little sore a few hours after. But delighted!

'Double bagged' my bra - worked well. Had read that sometimes babies can taste the lactic acid in your milk, baba didn't seem to notice. I reckon I leaked a bit of wee, need to really be religious about my pelvic floors!!! My goal was to get my first run done by the first week in June. Would have done it earlier, but had blocked ducts in my boob which were really painful & there was no way I was bouncing around with it!!

So, don't freak out too much if you have to stop running, you don't have to start from scratch again :)

Congrats on your first run back Olaola! It is great to hear positive experiences like yours, despite uncomfortable realities like blocked ducts it is possible to come back :) All the best for the second and future runs :)

Had a lovely run at the weekend myself. Up in Boston for a friend's wedding and I was awake at 5.30 the next day as per my new pregnancy morning time so I decided to get outside. Had a nice 3 mile walk while calling my mum then a 5 mile run on a bike path near our hotel. Plenty of people out cycling and running by 7am so I wasn;t lonely! I had to stop for about 5 min at about 3.7 mile as the stretchy pains returned, now higher up like they are either side of my belly button. I guess that bit of my stomach muscles is getting strechted now! Followed it off with a dip in the chilly but nice outdoor pool in the hotel. Pool was tiny, about the size of our room, but it was nice to paddle about it. I'd forgotten my togs so myself and one of the other girls just went in in our sports bras and running shorts. I'm sure I looked bananas with the belly sticking out between the sports bra and the shorts, but sure who'd be looking on a sunday morning! :D

Cannot wait to bring the baby swimming with me! I'm a total water baby myself so hope to pass that on. A pool near us do baby lessons from 6 months, although I'd love to bring him in even before then. How early are ye thinking of bringing your little ones into the water?

• Advertisement

As early as possible! Mr. Merkin sails, surfs and won medals for London as a boy for swimming so he's addicted to the water and is really good at all those type of things. We're both agreed that we want to get the little guy in there as early as possible so he's really comfortable and familiar from early on. The earliest lessons locally are from six months and that's what comes recommended but f allowed would like him to have a little paddle before then.

Thanks, I didn;t know the 6 months was a recommended age.

I think it is sooo important to start early before they develop any fears. I don't remember learning how to swim, it is something we did as babies in my family. My other half learned to swim as an adult and still is not comfortable in the water at all and it is very difficult for him. I'm inclined to just bring the baby myself to the pool for the first while anyway so he doesn't pick up any anxiety or stress from his poor water-fearing dad!

Hoping to bring her as soon as I can! I didn't realise 6 months was the recommended age either until my mam told me yesterday. Her dad goes kayaking all the time and wants to get her used to water at a young age, which is fine by me too. I agree about the fears thing! Unrelated but I was saying the other night I won't tell my girl (if I can help it!) that I'm a bit of a fraidey cat about flying as it's a right pain and I'd love if she didn't have to deal with that. Same with water, I feel the sooner she learns to swim the less likely she'll be nervous of it.

I remember learning how to swim, I think I was like 7 or 8, my horrible swimming teacher literally pushed me into the deep end with no warning right after I put my little wings on, awful woman, lol.

Olaola, your return to running post has made me so happy. I can't wait for my first run post-baby. Hoping your subsequent runs are going just as well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hoping to bring her as soon as I can! I didn't realise 6 months was the recommended age either until my mam told me yesterday. Her dad goes kayaking all the time and wants to get her used to water at a young age, which is fine by me too. I agree about the fears thing! Unrelated but I was saying the other night I won't tell my girl (if I can help it!) that I'm a bit of a fraidey cat about flying as it's a right pain and I'd love if she didn't have to deal with that. Same with water, I feel the sooner she learns to swim the less likely she'll be nervous of it.

I remember learning how to swim, I think I was like 7 or 8, my horrible swimming teacher literally pushed me into the deep end with no warning right after I put my little wings on, awful woman, lol.

Olaola, your return to running post has made me so happy. I can't wait for my first run post-baby. Hoping your subsequent runs are going just as well for you!

Check out waterbabies.ie - we've been bringing my little one since she was about 3 or 4 months old - she is now almost 2 and has zero fear in the water - she is extremely capable, can swim underwater, loves jumping in, and is just so relaxed in the pool. The downside is that the courses are very expensive, but it's been worth it for us just to have a structured way to teach these water and safety skills to our daughter. It's a lot of fun too :)

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Check out waterbabies.ie - we've been bringing my little one since she was about 3 or 4 months old - she is now almost 2 and has zero fear in the water - she is extremely capable, can swim underwater, loves jumping in, and is just so relaxed in the pool. The downside is that the courses are very expensive, but it's been worth it for us just to have a structured way to teach these water and safety skills to our daughter. It's a lot of fun too :)

oh I've heard of these! The pool my partner is a member of holds these classes and he is dying to try them out with the baby. Great to hear your daughter is so comfortable in the water! I may give them a ring soon to get a price off them don't think I can see it online.

Swimming is the only thing keeping me sane right now. I'm in the pool at least three times a week and it's glorious - it's keeping me cool and it's the only time my 8 month bump doesn't make me feel like the heaviest person in the world!!

It's just great isn't it? Great to take all that weight off the joints and have the bump supported by the water too, it's a blessing.

Merkin wrote: »
    It's just great isn't it? Great to take all that weight off the joints and have the bump supported by the water too, it's a blessing.

I think I must look like a total loon grinning my way through my swim session at the novelty of feeling weightless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Was doing sooo well with the exercise til this weekend. Lots of walking and a bit of swimming. This weekend got struck by the swollen ankles/ feet phenomenon - am hoping only cos of the heat , rather than on on-going thing. I'm 26+4 wks now so hoping it's too early for it to become a constant issue. This eve I had to forego my planned walk, despite the fab evening down here, as my feet felt too tender so went for a swim instead. Hoping it's temporary. Was hoping to up the anti with the swimming when the walking became too uncomfortable ie from the bump etc but hadn't counted on being restrained by swollen ankles - yikes!! Thank goodness for swimming though.

• Advertisement

Hope your feet have calmed down by now, 73trix.

Have just started back running today after 2Weeks off. It was hot 28C and slow but good to get out there. Just 3 miles. I had a work conference in a mountainy part of the usa and we took some time after it to go driving and camping and hiking in the mountains. we were blessed with the weather, sunny and about 20C during the day which was lovely for the two days hiking we did. Surprisingly we did about 10 miles one day, I didn't think I'd do that but we kept plodding on at a slow pace and it was fine. Lovely to be out of the city! It was pretty comical though, me trying to maneuver into, inside and get out of the tent with a 28 week bump!

Advertisement