Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Looks like Irish Red Cross are still taking sign ups

https://www.facebook.com/IRCKerryArea

I registered with a charity last week and have in my possession a sponsorship card (with a number) so I assume I'm registered! A good few mates of mine haven't registered though. I'd say keep an ear out for people offering them (cost price of course) over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

A mate of mine got in with Pieta House this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Also try here:- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valentia-Island-Community-Hospital/127861400639187?fref=ts

There's a number to ring to register, looks like it will close tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Just got sorted .Phew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Got sorted with Pieta House. Roll on July...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Same here. Can't wait until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Derry247

Lads, does anyone know if registration is transferable? I can register today but round 2 of championship could be on that weekend and I won't be able to cycle. Could I pass the registration on to a friend or anyone else who wants it at face value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Derry247 wrote: »
    Lads, does anyone know if registration is transferable? I can register today but round 2 of championship could be on that weekend and I won't be able to cycle. Could I pass the registration on to a friend or anyone else who wants it at face value?

there is no ID check. To get past the barriers you just need the bike tag and wrist band to get food. So while you are probably not supposed to switch I not sure if it would matter (other than in a accident where they use the number to contact your emergency contacts).

Yeah, no-one ever asks for id when registering, so transfer away I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

BailMeOut wrote: »
    there is no ID check. To get past the barriers you just need the bike tag and wrist band to get food. So while you are probably not supposed to switch I not sure if it would matter (other than in a accident where they use the number to contact your emergency contacts).

Can't imagine event insurance transferring over to somebody else for face value...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Just got registered with Valentia Island Community Hospital . Today is the last day for registering with them so give them a ring ASAP if you still want to do the Ring. Great cause as well.

I nearly had an aneurysm when I saw the registration closed banner on the official Ring website! It's filled up unbelievably quickly this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

So where do all you guys stay, we only booked this morning, and the only place we could get was 5* hotel, is the next best option caravan or camping?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not overly surprised. There'll be a lot of disappointed people out there I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smithbecs

I'm one of them disappointed people :( So if anyone has a registration they won't be using I would really really appreciate it.. Rang around charities and no joy.. PM me if you do have something, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

smithbecs wrote: »
    I'm one of them disappointed people :( So if anyone has a registration they won't be using I would really really appreciate it.. Rang around charities and no joy.. PM me if you do have something, thanks

Valentia community hospital had entries earlier today and told me that they had a few left so worth a call tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smithbecs

Valentia community hospital had entries earlier today and told me that they had a few left so worth a call tomorrow

Thanks for that but they are all out..phoned them earlier. I'm sure something will come up..thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

Hypothetical question : what is to stop you from driving to Killorglin and starting from there (if registration is not an option).

youtheman wrote: »
    Hypothetical question : what is to stop you from driving to Killorglin and starting from there (if registration is not an option).

What if the checkpoint is on the other side of Killorglin?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

BailMeOut wrote: »
    What if the checkpoint is on the other side of Killorglin?!!

Which there will be, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

Well you just bypass the checkpoint. That is what a gps if for. As Clint would say "you adapt, you overcome ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Or... You could cycle to Killorglin and then start from there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seaniec81

Anybody know of any places still offering registration. Training away hotel booked and caught out by early close. Will buy one if anybody has a spare one or cant go.

Seaniec81 wrote: »
    Anybody know of any places still offering registration. Training away hotel booked and caught out by early close. Will buy one if anybody has a spare one or cant go.

your best bet is to call all nine charities. The list is here http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/charities/

Emailed them all already 2 replied already saying they are full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Depends on when you drove. IIRC last year, some of the road from Killarney to Killorglin was closed. Also the road from Sneem to Molls Gap and Kenmare to Torc was closed last year, and I'd be fairly certain you wouldn't get onto them without a registration tag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Well you just bypass the checkpoint. That is what a gps if for. As Clint would say "you adapt, you overcome ".

as it was a hypothetical question, a hypothetical answer: if someone is going to go to that lenghts to circumvent the entry fees, contributing to charity, and embracing the spirit of the day, then there is nothing to stop them. but sure, why stop there? why not hypothetically do the cycle. just have a lie in at home then tell everyone you did it later.

lots of "hypothetical" situations one could explore here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bmw320MK

Lads if anybody has 2 registrations that are not needed please PM me thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

What is the story with the road closures? Can they legitimately stop someone from cycling on a main road? I have it booked, just curious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Can they legitimately stop someone from cycling on a main road? I have it booked, just curious...

Yes .... just like a Rally event can close a road. The Council give it over to the Organisers for a period of time and in that time the road is theirs (except for allowing for local access)

the whole can they can't they was done to death in the thread for the rok last year. they said they'd have a checkpoint, some guys on here said they couldn't do it and wouldn't, and they were going to cycle without an entry,

well, turns out they did do a checkpoint, and lots of cyclists with no tags were pulled over to the side at the checkpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Jeez....can't believe it full already. Was 11th June or so last year!!

That's gonna catch a load of people out....and leave a lot of disappointed people out there!

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Yes .... just like a Rally event can close a road. The Council give it over to the Organisers for a period of time and in that time the road is theirs (except for allowing for local access)

Ok fair enough. Sounds like they can strictly enforce it so...

mossym wrote: »
    the whole can they can't they was done to death in the thread for the rok last year. they said they'd have a checkpoint, some guys on here said they couldn't do it and wouldn't, and they were going to cycle without an entry,

well, turns out they did do a checkpoint, and lots of cyclists with no tags were pulled over to the side at the checkpoint.

Maybe it was done to death last year, I wasn't aware of that...we're they turning many people away at checkpoints? I'd imagine it was annoying for them but their own tough luck as it was their own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Are they allowed do it on a public road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 chiralspiral

Any spare registrations! Please PM. Actually just need the one:-) otherwise I'll be hypothetically dodging checkpoints.

bazzer86 wrote: »

Maybe it was done to death last year, I wasn't aware of that...we're they turning many people away at checkpoints? I'd imagine it was annoying for them but their own tough luck as it was their own fault

tough luck is right, if i remember rightly at least one poster was quite proud of the fact he wasn't going to pay and would do it anyway, even before it closed registration, no sadness on my part if he was one of the ones pulled over

i only brought up abut it being done to stop the pages of debate about what they can and can't do happening again, the exact same arguments are already appearing here. whether people think they can or can't, last year they said they would, and did.

tough luck is right, if i remember rightly at least one poster was quite proud of the fact he wasn't going to pay and would do it anyway, even before it closed registration, no sadness on my part if he was one of the ones pulled over

i only brought up abut it being done to stop the pages of debate about what they can and can't do happening again, the exact same arguments are already appearing here. whether people think they can or can't, last year they said they would, and did.

Yeah that's fair enough, and speculating about what would people can & cant do is a waste of time, all I am wondering hearing about is about what actually happened to people with no numbers last year going through the checkpoints, which you have addressed. Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moogyfoogy

Any spare registrations! Please PM. Actually just need the one:-) otherwise I'll be hypothetically dodging checkpoints.

Hello,

If anyone has 1 spare registration, i will gladly take it. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

as it was a hypothetical question, a hypothetical answer: if someone is going to go to that lenghts to circumvent the entry fees, contributing to charity, and embracing the spirit of the day, then there is nothing to stop them. but sure, why stop there? why not hypothetically do the cycle. just have a lie in at home then tell everyone you did it later.

lots of "hypothetical" situations one could explore here.

Or hypothetically do it te following dy! No check points and the ring to yourself!!!

Glad I registered some time ago, very easy to put it off. The idea is to cycle and raise funds for charity. To circumvent the stewards etc is not great. Why bother if you
    re going to cheat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Jeez....can't believe it full already. Was 11th June or so last year!!

That's gonna catch a load of people out....and leave a lot of disappointed people out there!

Yup, like me!

Went through Pieta House last year so never had to worry about registration. Gutted I've missed out this year.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

Try pieta house again
    Think they still have spaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

All the charities are full, god knows i've tried them all at this stage. The ROK facebook page made absolutley no indication that places were about to fill up so fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

siblers wrote: »
    All the charities are full, god knows i've tried them all at this stage. The ROK facebook page made absolutley no indication that places were about to fill up so fast.

I think you'll find they did. And even on this thread an Easter cut off was mentioned a good few pages back.

ratracer wrote: »
    I think you'll find they did. And even on this thread an Easter cut off was mentioned a good few pages back.

Fair enough it sold out as much as its annoying to miss out it is good for the charities but the communication was shocking. It is not on the facebook page anywhere that it was close to reaching capacity. Last year there were regular posts in the run up to it closing including a message saying it was at 95% capacity and a message saying it would close the following day.

I just think a little heads up would not have gone astray, it is a big commitment for people travelling to get accommodation, time off work (if they have work) and pay for the entry. Plenty people would be waiting until they are certain they could attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I know i did see advert in national paper last week that it was estimated that it could close off for entries by easter weekend. I did kinda think it might have been scaremongering but at same time, cycling has become so popular. theres people out on the roads the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Should have bought a load of registrations and sold them for 150 a piece :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Did people get their sponsorship cards already?
    Paid ages ago.. and nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

This was well flagged with several mentions on this thread and on Facebook of an Easter weekend cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

ratracer wrote: »

No mention of it on their Facebook page. Last year there was constant updates about it getting close to capacity.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement