Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting on your own property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Thanks Battlecorp,
    Yes you are probably right about getting permission from neighbouring farmers from the perspective of applying for a licence. Its crazy though that this would be a pre-condition to shooting vermin on your own land. I got approval for a 22 magnum years ago from the gardai but didnt follow up on it because by the time the guards gave me approval (15 months) the gun was sold to someone else and I wouldve had to reapply!
    I had thought of the 22lr but thought a 17 would be more favourable to the garda as its a lower caliber and maybe they would be less inclined to refuse. Also i might want to drop the odd fox harrassing my chucks. But its mainly for the rabbits, fekin millions of them eating me out of it!
    Thanks guys!
    CS

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

cheapskate wrote: »
    Its crazy though that this would be a pre-condition to shooting vermin on your own land.

There is one option open to you. A limited certificate.

It's for a shotgun ONLY and you may only shoot the shotgun on YOUR land (nowhere else). For any other firearm you need individual permissions, club membership, range membership, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »
    There is one option open to you. A limited certificate.

It's for a shotgun ONLY and you may only shoot the shotgun on YOUR land (nowhere else). For any other firearm you need individual permissions, club membership, range membership, etc.

That wording might be slighty confusing there Cass.

I would have worded it like " There is one another option open to you. A limited certificate".

That said, if you were able to get permissions from two farmers, that would obviously give you much more flexibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Big Bangstick

The old limited cert didn't cover you to shoot game either. Not sure that's been changed? Maybe something to consider?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That wording might be slighty confusing there Cass.

I would have worded it like " There is one another option open to you. A limited certificate".
    Meant to say one other option. Thinking faster than i'm typing.
    That said, if you were able to get permissions from two farmers, that would obviously give you much more flexibility.
    Absolutely, but with his own land being a factor the limitedcertificate may be an option, other option. :D
    The old limited cert didn't cover you to shoot game either. Not sure that's been changed? Maybe something to consider?
    Nope, still the same. Hence the limited aspect, and by feck how much more limited can you get. Shotgun only, no game, your own land/land you're nominated on, etc. Really still aimed at farmers.

As Battlecorp said get permissions from others and open up your options.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Big Bangstick

Limited had a 25 cartridge allowance too IIRC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

cheapskate wrote: »
    I had thought of the 22lr but thought a 17 would be more favourable to the garda as its a lower caliber CS

Smaller calibre but twice as fast and noisier as well as more costy.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Does the limited or "farmers cert" even exist anymore??:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It's still an option on the FCA1. How many use it though is another question. Plus as it's not £6 anymore (iirc it's €40) many might just go for the full monty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

It's not €40. Both the limited & unlimited are the same price €80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

I know this is pretty old thread but I think I've similar question..
    I have a small property (1 acre), a friendly neighbour who doesn't mind me shooting and a few trees that apparently became home for very loud crows ;)) - can I shoot crows on my property (shotgun)...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

damanloox wrote: »
    I know this is pretty old thread but I think I've similar question..
    I have a small property (1 acre), a friendly neighbour who doesn't mind me shooting and a few trees that apparently became home for very loud crows ;)) - can I shoot crows on my property (shotgun)...?

My view, would be that you are responsible for where the shot lands, and comply with other factors such as roads and buildings.

On another note, its coming into winter and they roost in groups this time of year.
    You are not allowed to shoot crows/corvids just because they are loud and annoying you. They are just doing what they do and are quiet at night.

There are conditions laid out in the NPWS derogations for the reasons you CAN shoot corvids.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

ligertigon wrote: »
    My view, would be that you are responsible for where the shot lands, and comply with other factors such as roads and buildings.

On another note, its coming into winter and they roost in groups this time of year.
    You are not allowed to shoot crows/corvids just because they are loud and annoying you. They are just doing what they do and are quiet at night.

There are conditions laid out in the NPWS derogations for the reasons you CAN shoot corvids.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315625

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Hi Guys, could somebody answer a (possibly stupid) question related to the above. I am about to apply for a shotgun licence. I want to do the following:
    Some game shooting
    Some clay shooting
    Some vermin control on my own >1 acre property
    Some vermin control for a neighbouring farmer
    Some pigeon shooting

A friend who hunts has arranged for me to get permissions from some farmers (I've already gotten it from the farmer who wants me to shoot vermin for him).

My question is, do farmer permissions allow me to do all the above, or do I have to join a club too? I find the licence form a little confusing. If I am granted a licence based on farmer permissions can I shoot outside of those permissions (legally obviously) such as at a pheasant shoot, clay range etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Gravelly wrote: »
    Hi Guys, could somebody answer a (possibly stupid) question related to the above. I am about to apply for a shotgun licence. I want to do the following:
    Some game shooting
    Some clay shooting
    Some vermin control on my own >1 acre property
    Some vermin control for a neighbouring farmer
    Some pigeon shooting

A friend who hunts has arranged for me to get permissions from some farmers (I've already gotten it from the farmer who wants me to shoot vermin for him).

My question is, do farmer permissions allow me to do all the above, or do I have to join a club too? I find the licence form a little confusing. If I am granted a licence based on farmer permissions can I shoot outside of those permissions (legally obviously) such as at a pheasant shoot, clay range etc?

I was sort of in the same boat as I was applying for a shotgun for both clays, vermin and some game shooting.

When applying, I was advised by the local guard to tick both hunting and target shooting (as I would be using the gun in both the range and in the field).

I then had a to write a letter to the local super that explained why I wanted it, what I would be using it for and giving the permissions (including the size of them).

No problem getting the licence and no problem using the gun for both range and field work, once I'd told them and had ticked both options on the licence.

Thanks for that - I was wondering if I was the only one who was puzzled by this! So tick both and supply permissions. What worried me was the line:

(Complete this section if a Limited Certificate is applied for)

That's after permissions on the form because it seems to imply that permissions only allows you to shoot on that land. I presume i don't need to be a member of a club to shoot clays - I understand my local club allows you to shoot clays for a small fee if you are not a member.

The only other thing I was wondering about is the bit about "proof of competence" - reading other threads on here there seems to be no agreement as to what this consists of. I grew up on a farm and used my fathers shotgun in my teens, but I'm guessing that won't count! Does doing a couple of hours clay shooting at the local range count I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks for that - I was wondering if I was the only one who was puzzled by this! So tick both and supply permissions. What worried me was the line:

That's after permissions on the form because it seems to imply that permissions only allows you to shoot on that land. I presume i don't need to be a member of a club to shoot clays - I understand my local club allows you to shoot clays for a small fee if you are not a member.

The only other thing I was wondering about is the bit about "proof of competence" - reading other threads on here there seems to be no agreement as to what this consists of. I grew up on a farm and used my fathers shotgun in my teens, but I'm guessing that won't count! Does doing a couple of hours clay shooting at the local range count I wonder?

I've always just filled that out - and I wasn't applying for a limited licence.
    Are you applying for a 'full' licence or a limited one?

Bit of a hornet's nest that one - probably not best to write down that you used a gun without a licence. If you've done a course, put it down. If you want to do courses, I think the NARGC and other bodies do them from time to time. Cass is the man to ask - there isn't much he doesn't know about this process!

I wanted a full one - I presume a limited one won't allow me to hunt outside my permissions, or clay shoot will it?

Yeah thought it might be best not to mention that! Though I suppose it's the same on every farm.

I rang my local station to ask to speak to the firearms officer (they seemed to be very confused when I used that term, so maybe that's not what he's called) but they just sort of put me off and told me to drop in the form. Was hoping a chat with the guard that does the licenses would answer these questions. My friend who hunts has had a licence for years and knows very little about the process of applying for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Don't apply for the limited certificate. I'm open to correction but I believe that it won't allow you to do target shooting or to shoot on land that isn't your own.

Tick both hunting and target shooting and you should be fine.

Strange as this may sound but there are plenty of Gardaí who know feckall about the laws when it comes to shooting and many of them give incorrect advice. I've learned from past experiences that you can't always rely on their advice regarding firearms.

That's what I thought alright.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the forum Gravelly. Hopefully i can answer all your questions. This will be long so bear with me.
    I want to do the following:
    • Some game shooting
    • Some clay shooting
    • Some vermin control on my own >1 acre property
    • Some vermin control for a neighbouring farmer
    • Some pigeon shooting
    To do all the above you will need a full firearms license. A limited certificate is for a shotgun and to be used ONLY on your own land. As you intend to shoot outside your land you need a full license. A training certificate would be a little useless to you unless you had someone to accompany you, like a learner driver in a car with a fully licensed driver.
    My question is, do farmer permissions allow me to do all the above, or do I have to join a club too?
    Farmer permissions are fine. Make sure the permissions are in writing and for the land you intend to shoot. Don't go onto land you don't have permission for. Written permission is important so you have proof, so make sure to get it over a verbal agreement.
    I find the licence form a little confusing. If I am granted a licence based on farmer permissions can I shoot outside of those permissions (legally obviously) such as at a pheasant shoot, clay range etc?
    Yes.

The permission are only to get the firearm license and only apply to the land you had at the time of applying. If you get more permissions, are invited for a day on other land or want to attend a clay shoot you are free do so.
    ezra_ wrote: »
    When applying, I was advised by the local guard to tick both hunting and target shooting (as I would be using the gun in both the range and in the field).
    Unnecessary.

Clay pigeon shooting is not target shooting under the law. It's why clay ranges don't have range authorisation or pay range fees to the DoJ. Nothing wrong with ticking both boxes, but it's not necessary, legally.

That's after permissions on the form because it seems to imply that permissions only allows you to shoot on that land.
    You are correct.

DO NOT fil in this part of the form.
    I presume i don't need to be a member of a club to shoot clays - I understand my local club allows you to shoot clays for a small fee if you are not a member.
    Most clay ranges are open to the public so no, you don't need to be a member.
    There are four recognised methods of showing competence:
    • Competency cert
    • Previous history with a firearm (DF, etc)
    • Training license
    • Letters of support from licensed people
    You could use any one of the above, but unfortunately more and more Superintendents are seeking a competence certificate. They are not expensive, and most ranges do a course for around €35 or €70 or so to include a years insurance.
    I wanted a full one - I presume a limited one won't allow me to hunt outside my permissions, or clay shoot will it?
    No.

As said above a limited cert is only for one shotgun, on your own land. It used to be called the farmer's license.
    I rang my local station to ask to speak to the firearms officer (they seemed to be very confused when I used that term,
    Technically speaking there is no position within An Gardaí of Firearms officer. It is a term we use. However most Gardaí know what it means. Most Gardaí, there is no accounting for some.

That is brilliant Cass, thanks for all that info. Don't want to be a plague, but if you could answer the following I'd appreciate it.

When you say to get the farmer permissions, but not fill in the land nomination bit, does that mean I just tick hunting, and hand in my written permissions with the form? Is there a specific way these permissions have to be presented/worded? I'm guessing the farmers themselves will know, but I don't want to be calling back to them to rewrite it if it's wrong.

I will take your advice about the competency course, and ask at the local range. When you say a years insurance is included, does that mean for all shooting I do, even off the range? Insurance was something I hadn't thought of.

To be fair to the guard I spoke to, he sounded a bit harassed so there could have been all hell breaking loose at the station when I rang!

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'll be asking plenty of more questions on other threads over the next few weeks I'm sure - next up will be what gun to buy!

Gravelly wrote:
    My friend who hunts has had a licence for years and knows very little about the process of applying for a new one.
    Here is what you need to do.

You want to be as detailed as possible, but without writing a novel.

Fill in sections:

For the following sections, just fill them in, but for the most part extra information is not necessary:
    • Section 1 - Tick Firearm Certificate and in the box below tick "I have not held a certificate for this firearm in the previous three years".
    • Section 2.1 - Fill in all the personal information stuff. Everything.
    • Section 2.2 - Give name, address and phone number for your GP, and any other doctor you might be visiting.
    • Section 2.3 - You need two people to vouch for you. Supply their name, address and details in this section.
    • Section 2.4 - Tick the boxes as appropriate.
    • Section 2.5 - Supply details of your competence, or if you've done the course just write "Copy of cert attached". Then attach a copy.
    • Section 3.1 - Fill in the details of the gun you've bought here. All the info will be on the docket the dealer gives you.
    • Section 3.3 - Write in the dealer PULSE ID. It'll be a 4 digit number that the dealer uses. Then his name.
    • Section 3.5 - Tick "YES", and then "NO". Make sure you have at least a trigger lock bought for the gun. This is the minimu security needed.
    • Section 4.1 - Tick English, and below that write in the amount of rounds you want. I'd apply for betwee 250 - 500 rounds.
    • Section 4.2 - Tick Hunting. No need for target shooting and you might be required to show membership if you do. You can tick it if you want, it's your chice.
    • Section
    • Section 5.1 - Tick yes (no need for licenses as your firearms license covers you and you're not shooting deer, only pheasant)
    • Sign it, and date it.

Ignore sections:

You need to provide more information for some sections on a separate piece of paper, labelled "Additional Information". See which sections apply to you, and fill in the following for those sections:
    1. Section 2.1 - Previous Address: If you have lived elsewhere provide thos addresses.
    2. Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Supply copy of your competence certificate.
    3. Section 3.5 - Secure Storage: List your security measures as you have done. For a shotgun its a trigger lock and stored in three pieces around the house. You may be asked for a safe, but the Super will let you know.
    4. Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 250-500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
      • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
      • I regularly take part in clay shoots and actively attend clay ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
      • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
      • Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.
    5. Section 4.2 - Reason for Gun:
      • Control of vermin on my lands
      • Control of vermin on lands nominated in my permissions
      • Clay pigeon shooting
      • Hunting of game during the open seasons.

For your first licenses you need to be as complete as possible, but for any additional licenses over the years you'll find some of the above does not need to be filled in.

When you say to get the farmer permissions, but not fill in the land nomination bit, does that mean I just tick hunting,
    Yes.
    and hand in my written permissions with the form?
    Yes.
    Is there a specific way these permissions have to be presented/worded?
    Short and sweet. Something like:

I, farmer Joe, give Gravelly permission to shoot and hunt on all lands owned by me.

Signed and dated.

I'm guessing the farmers themselves will know,
    In my experience, no. Print something out yourself and have them sign it. Easiest way.
    When you say a years insurance is included, does that mean for all shooting I do, even off the range? Insurance was something I hadn't thought of.
    Yes.
    Thanks to everyone for the help, I'll be asking plenty of more questions on other threads over the next few weeks.......
    Lash away, it's why the forum is here.
    I'm sure - next up will be what gun to buy!
    Heh, heh. How long is a piece of string. :D

It's a very personal choice. It's based on preference, looks, fit, feel, function, and most importantly budget.

Excellent, thanks - think I'm finally confident enough to fill in the form now, you've covered every point I could have asked for.

While I'm at it, on the gun thing, the best value I've seen seems to be on pump actions. Reading up on it, it seems that a lot of people don't like them, more it seems because of their image than anything else. Would I be allowed to shoot clays with one? I don't intend to enter competitions or anything (not unless I turn out to be a lot better than I expect to be!) just shoot for practice. I watched a few minutes of a clay competition recently and everyone seemed to have an over and under. I know the pump is frowned upon by some because it's not as obvious when it is unloaded as the OU. Looking in the dealer near me, and online in others, it looks like a good pump (mossberg or remmington) can be bought for around €300-€400 whereas any kind of decent looking OU looks to be around twice that. My thinking is to get a pump to start and then when I find what aspect of shooting I do the most (clays or hunting) change to a better gun specifically for that - is this a good or bad approach? I know that a lot of it will be down to how the gun actually feels, but the couple I've handled up to now (an OU and a side by side) felt fine, I suppose it's only when you do a bit of shooting you'll get a feel for it.

I suppose it's only when you do a bit of shooting you'll get a feel for it.

This.

Don't buy anything yet. Go to the clay range and try a few, and get a feel for a few. Gun fit is more than if you can hold it. It's about how the gun shoulders, consistently, are you down along the rib or out to the side. Can you hit with it, or is it a paper weight.

The only way to know this, if you've no real experience, is to visit a range and get help from someone with more experience. We've all had to do it. they will tell you what works for you, and what doesn't.

As for cost. It's always painful to hand out a lump of cash, but don't buy cheap just to get started. The gun may not suit, and may give you bad habits that you have to "unlearn".

Save up for the better type and model. You don't need to spend a fortune, and you can buy brand new O/U shotguns from around €550 up. They wouldn't be classed as the best, but who cares as long as it works.

Look at Baikal, Lanber, Yildiz, etc. As said new prices go from €550. Second hand prices from €375 and up. For semi auto, O/U, etc.

Under all my posts you'll see a link for online dealers. Click on it and go through the dealers. Find one close to you, and start looking at guns. Move out and check a few places that are not so close to you. Then if you find something go to the dealer, with someone else you know, and see not only that gun but what else is in stock.

Irish online sites are not great. They don't list everything and it's still a case of having to visit the shop. The reason for bringing someone with you is more experience, and they will see any fault with a gun that you may not because of Rose tinted glasses. Again, we've all been there.

Thanks Again - when you say go to a range and try a few do you mean ranges have guns you can try?

That is a complicated question but i'll try to keep it to salient points.

An authorised range is a rifle or pistol (or both) range that pays it's yearly fee to the Department of Justice (DoJ) and receives a PULSE ID. They have members, rules, but more importantly they must abide by the laws set out for running a range.

Clay pigeon shooting is not, under the law, classed as target shooting. As such clay pigeon ranges do not need this authorisation. In essence you could set one up out your back and if consideration was given to planning permission, noise, etc. that is all you'd need.

A clay range is easier that way, but also has drawbacks. An authorised range can allow new people to the sport to come onto the range, and under supervision, shoot unrestricted guns. A clay cannot as they don't have the same classification as an authorised range and so don't have the same laws to abide by or protect them.

Some clay ranges may pay and get the authorisation in which case you're fine. Also some authorised ranges have clay ranges on them and so you're covered by these same laws.

Again under my posts are links to ranges, clay ranges, pistol ranges and rifle ranges. Check them out and see which suits for a visit.

• Advertisement

Ah, right. I live fairly close to two ranges - one is a clay range and the other is a target range, so I suppose I have both options.

Advertisement