Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I emailed them but but they are very vague in their response.I asked was there an issue with it because it was a new passport after a lost one they just wrote back saying if everything is ok it will be issued today(yesterday)checked yesterday evening and its still only being checked

Just to update the passport has been sent out one day after the issue date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pharmo_Girlo

Hi, just got my passport today! 12 working days! not bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Apologies, I know there is a passport thread, but this is more a border control query.
    We've flights booked to Spain tomorrow and have just noticed our daughters passport is a number of days out of date (let's take it as read that I'm an idiot and don't need to be informed of the fact in any replies). I had actually the wrong year written down when I got the Boarding Cards, so it has Apr 2014 on it as the exp date.

I've phoned the emergency passport section of the dept, but they cannot accommodate unless it is an emergency.
    Our choices are either to not go, or go and hope it is not spotted.
    My query is, what would happen if it was noticed. Obviously, if spotted leaving Ireland we don't get let on the plane, but what if it's spotted either when we get to Spain or when we're leaving to go home? Would we be put on a plane back to Ireland or sent to the Irish consulate in Barcelona to get a new one issued?
    Any advice appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Apologies, I know there is a passport thread, but this is more a border control query.
    We've flights booked to Spain tomorrow and have just noticed our daughters passport is a number of days out of date (let's take it as read that I'm an idiot and don't need to be informed of the fact in any replies). I had actually the wrong year written down when I got the Boarding Cards, so it has Apr 2014 on it as the exp date.

I've phoned the emergency passport section of the dept, but they cannot accommodate unless it is an emergency.
    My query is, what would happen if it was noticed. Obviously, if spotted leaving Ireland we don't get let on the plane, but what if it's spotted either when we get to Spain or when we're leaving to go home? Would we be put on a plane back to Ireland or sent to the Irish consulate in Barcelona to get a new one issued?
    Any advice appreciate.

I was found out by ryanair enroute home at one point, I managed to get on the plane pointing out I'd gotten over with them and by showing a load of other ID with the same name. Passport control on this end just said "that's out of date, you'd want to sort it" and ushered me through.

Having been caught in barca without a passport I can tell you the consulate are great, if hard to find, and should you have to go there they don't issue a passport, just a travel pass good for one trip. Should you find yourself sent to the consulate post back here and I'll be helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Having been caught in barca without a passport I can tell you the consulate are great, if hard to find, and should you have to go there they don't issue a passport, just a travel pass good for one trip. Should you find yourself sent to the consulate post back here and I'll be helpful.

On a recent stag a lad got with an out of date of passport. He got on the flight out of ireland but didnt risk it on the way home so went straight to the consulate and got himself sorted out. We had time so it made sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

This happened us 2 years ago and Thankfully it all worked on both flights. I would take the chance. Friends of ours went to UK last year and their 10 year old twins passports were out of date and they got through.

Do you have to go to check in or print your own tickets ?

The Gride wrote: »
    This happened us 2 years ago and Thankfully it all worked on both flights. I would take the chance. Friends of ours went to UK last year and their 10 year old twins passports were out of date and they got through.

Do you have to go to check in or print your own tickets ?

Thanks, we will chance it I think, and hope for the best.
    It was an on-line check-in and boarding cards are printed. I put 2014 on my daughter's boarding card (had transcribed it incorrectly to my Evernote account some mounth's back). Only checked actual passport a couple of hours ago. Obviously feel like a complete idiot.

Thanks all, for the advice btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

im travelling to america in eight weeks and my ten year old son is still on my passport . do i need a separate passport for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Any advice appreciate.

Dept. Foreign affairs, Stephens green tomorrow morning, will normally issue emergency passport. Bring tkts.

Dept. Foreign affairs, Stephens green tomorrow morning, will normally issue emergency passport. Bring tkts.

I phoned them, they said Monday at earliest, unless it was life or death emergency basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I phoned them, they said Monday at earliest, unless it was life or death emergency basically.

Frank, if its a late flight I would go in, a face to face meeting is better than any phone call,
    Happened to me two years ago, they were very helpful. Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I had a lost ( couldn't find it ) passport last b/hol weekend - -flight booked 6
    Months ago - went into Passport office 4 days before due to fly - you now have to book an online appointment to talk to them Thou I'm Sure you Could wing it. Long story short - they wanted e200 for an emergency adult issue passport abut would not guarantee that they could get it for me before my Flight . I would have chanced it but there was a girl & her husband weeping beside me - they had paid & shown their tickets & come
    In - no passport was ready .

I would just chance it & prepare a contingency - does your wife go with one child ( at lest one of you gets the holiday & the other one tries to follow) or check your little print if you have insurance & follow that if you don't want to split up.
    You
    Might be covered for out of date passport?

I was covered for a missed flight due to a flat tyre on the way to the airport - just as well I called the AA as without having done that my insurance would have been invalid.

Best of luck!!!

Frank, if its a late flight I would go in, a face to face meeting is better than any phone call,
    Happened to me two years ago, they were very helpful. Paul.

We're flying out of Knock at 2.30pm, just don't think it works logistically, I know what you mean about face-to-face, but the Lady I spoke to, while sympathetic, seemed very sure that there was no way they could accommodate me.

I had a lost ( couldn't find it ) passport last b/hol weekend - -flight booked 6
    Months ago - went into Passport office 4 days before due to fly - you now have to book an online appointment to talk to them Thou I'm Sure you Could wing it. Long story short - they wanted e200 for an emergency adult issue passport abut would not guarantee that they could get it for me before my Flight . I would have chanced it but there was a girl & her husband weeping beside me - they had paid & shown their tickets & come
    In - no passport was ready .

I would just chance it & prepare a contingency - does your wife go with one child ( at lest one of you gets the holiday & the other one tries to follow) or check your little print if you have insurance & follow that if you don't want to split up.
    You
    Might be covered for out of date passport?

I was covered for a missed flight due to a flat tyre on the way to the airport - just as well I called the AA as without having done that my insurance would have been invalid.

Best of luck!!!

Thanks, our plan is to split up if caught, little lad will go to Spain with his mum. I'll console distraught 6 year old. Will have to go somewhere nice with her and treat her to something.

I'll check our insurance, but will be surprised if it covers general idiocy on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

We're flying out of Knock at 2.30pm, just don't think it works logistically, I know what you mean about face-to-face, but the Lady I spoke to, while sympathetic, seemed very sure that there was no way they could accommodate me.

I think the airline can be fined for letting you out with an invalid passport but as its a child and 4 of ye travelling together then I think you will breeze through. Good luck. Hope all works out.

The Gride wrote: »
    I think the airline can be fined for letting you out with an invalid passport but as its a child and 4 of ye travelling together then I think you will breeze through. Good luck. Hope all works out.

Yeah, Ryanair are usually trying to herd you on as quick as possible, the Spanish immigration guys usually have a decent look through passports on arrival though. Don't know if they can just put you on a return flight if they know you haven't a valid passport, wouldn't they have to tell you to go to consulate? We are thinking we'll go to the Consulate anyway on Monday if we get there to avoid the stress on return trip.

On the plane anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Hi all, this is a long one so bear with me!

Sent off for express passports for myself and 2 children which were received by the passport office on the 23rd of April with and issue date of the 30th of April.

On Wednesday the the 1st of May I got a phone call from them regarding my sons application. His dad had signed the form for him but they wanted my son to sign it. She asked had we travel plans and I told her we were due to fly out on the 17th of May. She said she would put a form in the post that day for him to sign and to return it to them straight away.

I received the new form the next day, had the child sign and sent it straight back the same day. I logged onto the tracking last night and now it's saying received and registered, issue date 15th of May.

I'm a bit freaked out as its really cutting it fine for us as we have flights booked for the 17th. My own passport was due to be issued on the 30th but I didn't get it until 3 days later. Is it worth giving them a ring on Tuesday to see if they could put it through a bit sooner? I'm so stressed about it.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

On the plane anyway.

Made it through on the Spanish side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

On the plane anyway.

You should be fine so, as long as your daughter avoids any trouble with the police :D

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

deise48 wrote: »
    im travelling to america in eight weeks and my ten year old son is still on my passport . do i need a separate passport for him?

Yes, and you need to do ESTA for both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

Yes, and you need to do ESTA for both of you.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Amazing. So, basically, the airline staff didn't notice your passport was out of date and neither did the Spanish immigration officers?

Amazing. So, basically, the airline staff didn't notice your passport was out of date and neither did the Spanish immigration officers?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yep.

You lucky git! You must have felt so relieved when you cleared immigration and walked off.

You know you could be refused travel home though? Technically they'd be entitled to refuse travel and you'd have to get an emergency travel document from the Irish embassy. I suspect, however, that it wouldn't come to that and you'd likely be just fine. Enjoy your holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Ok so yes I am an idiot. I misplace my passport and was convinced it would turn up as it usually does but finally had to give in on Saturday and get passport express as going on holidays in couple of weeks.

Of course I find my bloody passport today and now I desperately want to cancel my application. Is there anything I can do - any way of intercepting the application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Best to post in the passport thread

Ok so yes I am an idiot. I misplace my passport and was convinced it would turn up as it usually does but finally had to give in on Saturday and get passport express as going on holidays in couple of weeks.

Of course I find my bloody passport today and now I desperately want to cancel my application. Is there anything I can do - any way of intercepting the application?

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

If you have the old one declared as lost/stolen if could well be too late.

Passport express - there is a reference on your receipt to trace the envelope. Call the passport office and give them the reference, once it's just been received you might be lucky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement