Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Crown

Options
  • 24-08-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

I put a muzzle break on the 270 yesterday (stainless barrel) and fired about 60 rounds.
    when I got home I noticed that the crown was all black from the residue. what would be the best product to clean it.
    Accuracy didn't seem to be affected as the last 3 shots would fit inside a 2 Euro coin at 200 yards closest one almost dead centre of bull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Any carbon remover really. KG products are good and what I currently have but hard to get. There are automotive alternatives which are easy to get hold of like carb cleaner and brake cleaner but I am not sure how they will react with painted barrels or stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

Vegeta wrote: »
    Any carbon remover really. KG products are good and what I currently have but hard to get. There are automotive alternatives which are easy to get hold of like carb cleaner and brake cleaner but I am not sure how they will react with painted barrels or stocks.

The stuff for cars and some of the gun cleaners will remove most paints unless its Baked on paint like Cerakote or duracoat

Ziggieire wrote: »
    The stuff for cars and some of the gun cleaners will remove most paints unless its Baked on paint like Cerakote or duracoat

Exactly, while I have used brake cleaner on crowns and threads in the past I'd be hesitant to advise it without also warning folks to be very careful with handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Thanks lads

I found out M Pro7 should do it. it's my first stainless barrel so wasn't sure

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you'd like another option, I've used Boretech's carbon remover on my stainless barrel with no ill effects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

M-Pro7 is a general fouling/copper removal. You want a more carbon designated cleaner. It'll do the job though.

I use KG-1 carbon remover. Excellent cleaner and I use it on my rifles before using copper remover.

You can simply apply a little to the crown, use a cotton bud to agitate the fouling and then let it sit for a bit. After a little wait use a KG-1 soaked cotton bud to remove the loosened fouling and when clean wipe/spray with some Brunox oil, dry cloth/patch and finally a quick wipe of meth spirits. Do it in conjunction with cleaning the bore.

Do it regularly, rather than less frequently but abrasively, and it'll be fine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

i have the M- Pro7 in my kit but will get a more suited one for next time

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

Cass wrote: »
    M-Pro7 is a general fouling/copper removal. You want a more carbon designated cleaner. It'll do the job though.

I use KG-1 carbon remover. Excellent cleaner and I use it on my rifles before using copper remover.

You can simply apply a little to the crown, use a cotton bud to agitate the fouling and then let it sit for a bit. After a little wait use a KG-1 soaked cotton bud to remove the loosened fouling and when clean wipe/spray with some Brunox oil, dry cloth/patch and finally a quick wipe of meth spirits. Do it in conjunction with cleaning the bore.

Do it regularly, rather than less frequently but abrasively, and it'll be fine.

Where did you pick up the KG1. Can't get down here at all, did pick a bottle of KG112 the last time I was at Patrick carleys but he said he wasn't going to be stocking KG anymore.

I ordered mine from the UK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Where did you pick up the KG1. Can't get down here at all, did pick a bottle of KG112 the last time I was at Patrick carleys but he said he wasn't going to be stocking KG anymore.

Lakelands in Mullingar. He has a load of it, or did. As well as Forest Foam another of my preferred cleaners. Last one i use is Wipe out but only Dominic Byrne stocks that afaik.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

Cheers cass and I was only in lakelands Saturday, should have asked

Advertisement