Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to buy a rifle in Ireland.

Options
  • 30-07-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

i'm 17 and I would like to get into shooting both targets and hunting... I live in the country and my father has a gun licence (or at least he did) we don't own land but the land behind our house is owned by my uncle and there are forests nearby (plantations)

I don't know much about gun laws so thats why I'm asking.

I want to get a .22lr bolt action rifle,

Do I need a firearms training cert before I get a full gun licence? from what i seen on gun policy ireland (I can't post links..) I can legally own a gun over the age of 16..

any help? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Join a gun club son, first of all. Get a feel for what type of bolt action you want.
    I don't know if you have to be 18? to avoid a training cert. I'm sure other folk here will let you know. : )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Do I need a firearms training cert before I get a full gun licence? from what i seen on gun policy ireland (I can't post links..) I can legally own a gun over the age of 16..
    Steve012 wrote: »
    JI don't know if you have to be 18?
    From the age of 14 to before your 16th birthday you may use a training cert. After your 16th Birthday you can legally own a gun without the need for a training cert or supervision.

I would recommend a .22lr for your first rifle.

There are numerous reasons for this:
    • It's a great rifle to learn the basics of shooting
    • It's cheap to buy and cheap to run
    • There are numerous competitions in most ranges (not just the one you are a member of) in .22lr
    • They resell quickly as it's a desirable caliber
    • HH has only a 50 metre range so a fullbore rifle is not going to show it's full potential
    • There are no comps for fullbore rifles at under 100 yards/metres (not including Gallery)
    • Applications for lower calibers are usually favoured for first time owners
    • Not a huge investment if you find you don't like it
    • It's good enough for vermin if you decide to do some hunting with your family

The limitations with a .22lr are range, and effectiveness on larger game. However if you have no experience with a rifle then i would not suggest jumping into a centrefire rifle. The differnce betwen a rimfire, and centrefire is based on the make up of the round used. See the picture below;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-59xVtAxq-X8Po0nkwdkF4S3ga56MlMZCzF7bigNmSqcj8T84eg

The round to the left being the rimfire meaning once the bottom/rim of the cartridge is struck by the firing pin the round is discharged. On a centrefire the primer (no 4 on right picture) must be struck which ignites the powder and fires the bullet.

Most rimfires have a range of between 0 - 125 yards, effective range. Centrefire rifles, depending on shooter ability have mush greater effective ranges, and hence need A LOT more experience to handle. Apart from the firearm you need to be aware of your environment, backstop (where the bullet will finish) shot placement, etc. Its not quite as easy as point and pull the trigger.

The best selling and most popular starter rifle is the CZ .22lr.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-P3yQ9V4wFljLW6gIzx3dQPbvb6_qU8sW7DkMWYYGXW2uBmMn

Th setup above would cost, depending on scope choice, about €800 new or between €300 - €550 second hand. There are a fantastic gun, and if you asked i would say about 70% of rifle shooter either had one or have one.

To find out which rifle you want or more importantly which suits your intended purpose then i would suggest visiting a few rifle ranges, and seeing what others are using, and what they have, use it for, how it works, how effective it is, cost, etc. Most ranges would welcome you, and freely show you around. Simply ring before traveling as some ranges need prior notification before you can turn up.

Once you have decided on the type of shooting you like, and a gun you want, you need to go out and find one. Go to as many registered firearm dealers (RFD) as you can. Do not rush the decision. It can be a long enough process to get the license so you cannot pick, choose, change your mind, pick, choose, change your mind once the license process has begun.
    Go out and try as many makes/models of the gun/caliber you would most like, but keep an open mind to others as sometimes you end up buying a gun you did not intend to buy.

Once you have a gun, make/model chosen you then need to apply for a license. The BIG RED ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of the main shooting page will give you all the basics. Anything else you need can be asked here. In short you need;
    • An FCA1 (application form)
    • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
    • Photos x 2
    • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
    • Medical details
    • Range details including membership number and copy of membership card or in the case of a firearm for hunting land permissions or club membership (gun club, not a range).
    • Seperate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
    • A witness to sign the application.
    • All secure acomodation requirements (gun safe) in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    The applcaition can take from 4 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a receipt letter followed shortly after by a grant letter (if successful) to say you have been granted the license. You can take this and pay your €80 at the post office and within 3-5 day your license will arrive in the post.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement