Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choke tubes getting loose

Options
  • 27-07-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Is there a grease or oil that will help to stop chokes becoming loose. I have got used to checking them but its becoming a pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Stop cleaning them and they'll become welded into the barrel:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How many shots before it comes loose? How tight are the chokes? Do you do a lot of shooting (clays, etc).

I ask because while chokes may come loose they should not be doing so frequently or after a few shots.

I'd check the threading on both the choke and the gun. Make sure there is no apparent cross threading and also that they are spotless clean. Once they are scrubbed clean, screw them back in and tighten. Before i change or screw in a choke i always "unscrew it" to make sure it's at the start of the threading and there is no risk of cross threading. I then screw it in and make sure i have a little choke lube on it (to prevent the "welding" Blay described).. There are a few brands you can buy, and most lubes will do the job fine.

I had this problem before with and extended choke, but i was using it for clays and it was a game gun. No ideal, but it was a once off. A good cleaning and what i described above and i never had the problem again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Cass wrote: »
    How many shots before it comes loose? How tight are the chokes? Do you do a lot of shooting (clays, etc).

I ask because while chokes may come loose they should not be doing so frequently or after a few shots.

I'd check the threading on both the choke and the gun. Make sure there is no apparent cross threading and also that they are spotless clean. Once they are scrubbed clean, screw them back in and tighten. Before i change or screw in a choke i always "unscrew it" to make sure it's at the start of the threading and there is no risk of cross threading. I then screw it in and make sure i have a little choke lube on it (to prevent the "welding" Blay described).. There are a few brands you can buy, and most lubes will do the job fine.

I had this problem before with and extended choke, but i was using it for clays and it was a game gun. No ideal, but it was a once off. A good cleaning and what i described above and i never had the problem again.

Clays is where it happens, usually after 50 or so they are loose, have been using a light lithium grease but just think there must be some way of keeping them tight. Its just annoying during a competition.
    One solution suggested was a plumbers teflon tape but I wont be trying that.
    Thinking maybe a 'thicker' type grease or grease only on the body of the choke and dry thread. I never leave them in the gun for long anyway, always take them out for cleaning etc.
    I'll keep trying things and if I come up with the solution through trial and error then I'll let you know.

Is the gun a sporter or game gun. I'm betting it's not designed for clays. The continuous firing is too much for the gun and the chokes are working themselves loose.

Answer me this, are they coming loose when you hunt? I dare say they're not. What make is the gun?

I've heard of plumbers tape being used, but frankly it goes against my grain to put that on a gun. The choice for me is to avoid the reason that's causing it. So if you want to do clays then do them, but ease up on the amount and frequency of them.

As for the grease, use a good quality choke lube. It must be put onto, and the choke must go into, a perfectly clean barrel. I mean spotless.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Have given both barrels and chokes a good scrub as you advised and have decided that a little grease on the threads, but only a little oil and no grease on the body of the tube itself and I'll try that.
    It is a sporter with teague chokes and nothing moves when only firing a few shots but after a lot of shots in succession is when this occurs leading to fouling between barrel and choke, gases etc, which I don't like to see which is why I'm looking for a solution.
    The teagues are a very tight fit and I think I might have been putting too much grease on them.
    The proof of the pudding will be the next time I go shooting clays.
    The good cleaning was a good idea.

• Advertisement

I'd avoid any oil/grease on the choke body. Only a small amount on the threading to prevent seizing. As a sporter it should be better able than a game gun for clays.

As you said yourself the dirt between the threads of the choke and barrel and any thing that allows this is going to cause problems. Let us know how you get on..

A good clean with a little light grease on the threads only has done the job. They didn't budge. So grease on the body of the choke is not a good thing for those Teague chokes anyway.

Advertisement