Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independent Wrestling *Possible Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The fact that a 76 page document is needed to get you abreast of what's going on is exactly the problem IMO!

It's either that, or go back and watch every single show since Archie debuted :pac:

It breaks everything down. It's not a summary, its an explanation of literally everything that has happened. You can know everything you need without watching a single show if you read it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

2n07uib.png
    So Icarus is continuing his viral/grassroots campaign to Save Chikara, and is organizing a meet-up/rally in Philly on Saturday, Sept. 14, at the steps where they shot that scene in "Rocky."

There was also some hoopla about a petition that was posted under his username on the 101 Forums to Save Chikara, but which was revealed by Icarus to be a fraud, since his account got hacked. The site where the petition was hosted later showed that it was being run by Condor Security. The petition included fields for mailing addresses and phone numbers, which some people did admit on 101 to have filled out.

This thread on the 101 forums reveals that several of the people who signed the petition and gave their phone numbers have been receiving phone calls from (612) 460-1865, which is owned by Condor Security. These calls' all seem to be warnings about "security threats" and "[we] advise you to stay away from the Rocky Steps between 11 and 1 on September 14th." If someone calls the phone number back, they receive a message stating "Condor target/threat logged."

PWInsider's alternative version of the same story:
    A few weeks back, Chikara wrestler Icarus has posted a video encouraging fans to continue to rally around Chikara and bring it back. He had posted on the Chikara forum that he needed to know who had his back and that September 14th at the Philadelphia Art Museum steps at 11am that everyone should come to show their support for Chikara . A link was posted that lead people to a site to fill out their contact information. After about a day, Icarus was telling people via twitter that his account was hacked. People going to the link Icarus posted now encountered a Condor Security logo. People immediately speculated that the last Director of Fun, Wink Vavvaseur and Condor Security were behind it and this was the next step in this Chikara storyline. Yesterday several members of the Chikara forums began receiving phone calls from unaffiliated security personnel urging people to stay away from the Art Museum steps on September 14th. Clearly Chikara's storyline is still progressing.

This Weekend would have been CHIKARA's King of Trios weekend and I so sad it is not.

http://www.kingoftrios.com/

I wonder how much CHIKARA are losing from not doing so many shows. KOT was a rather big one too, so they have to be missing out on a good chunk of money this weekend.

Have any other promotions decided to hold of KOT type event this weekend to try and steal some spotlight?

Recap of today:
    About 25-30 people showed up at the steps and at around noon, Icarus came and greeted us all. He took out a small megaphone and (after a bit of trouble turning it on haha) he made a speech about how one man inspired an entire city at that location (the Rocky steps), and so to will he inspire something something something CHIKARA. Then he handed out a petition to be signed by everyone (just names. no phone numbers, etc.) and handed out I AM CHIKARA t-shirts to everyone who didn’t own one from the first Easton meet-up (more people came than expected so he didn’t have enough shirts). He then said something about how we can make a difference and how our voice is our weapon and handed out slips of paper (not business cards. “I’m on a budget, son” haha) with Wink Vavasseur’s personal email: w.c.vavasseur@titorconglomerate.com. After that, he left, leaving behind a rolled up poster. A girl called out to him saying he forgot his poster and he said back something to the effect of “I don’t need it anymore” or “It’s yours now” or something like that. The poster said “#13Y19T5R9U13P”. Afterwards, people just kinda stood around and hung out.
    ~ xluckis4losersx

http://www.pwponderings.com/2013/09/14/happened-chikara-091413-meet

The hashtag is MysteriumP.

https://twitter.com/MysteriumP

Anybody have any clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

weirdest angle ever.

Watched night one of BOLA the other day and thought it was great. Night two blows it out of the water. Easily one of the best shows of the year for me.

Skimmed Death before Dishonour after that and it didn't even come close. The main event was decent enough but otherwise, what I watched was as average as the card suggested. Didn't watch Wolves vs Hooligans yet as I knew it would be long enough and just want to go to bed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Watched night one of BOLA the other day and thought it was great. Night two blows it out of the water. Easily one of the best shows of the year for me.

Skimmed Death before Dishonour after that and it didn't even come close. The main event was decent enough but otherwise, what I watched was as average as the card suggested. Didn't watch Wolves vs Hooligans yet as I knew it would be long enough and just want to go to bed now.

Both nights of BOLA arrived in the post for me today, looking forward to them now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Just watching them myself halfway through night two ACH vs Kyle O'Reilly was great O'Reilly has really stepped up his game in the last year very good in the ring and has come out of his shell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Another ashes video posted. The quest to find Archie is on http://t.co/j3yfdLlDwz

The fact that a 76 page document is needed to get you abreast of what's going on is exactly the problem IMO!

Seen this on reddit. Not perfect, but a pretty good WWE analogy that explains the basics.
    The Authority (Wink) and Condor Security (the shield) have denied Daniel Bryan (Chikara) from getting another title shot (continue having shows), meanwhile the Big Show (Archibald Peck) is infiltrating behind the scenes (Time travelling) to destroy the Authority (Wink), while many of the guys on the roster like Ziggler (Icarus) are left trying to get as many other guys like Miz (Donst) to help him fight to get Daniel Bryan his title shot (wrestle in Chikara again.)

Condor and Shield should be the other way around, but you get the idea. The document posted previously goes in depth with the story.

A recap of the recent happenings
    http://olewrestling.com/chikara-wrestling/what-the-heck-is-going-on-with-chikara.htm

The strangest one was a guerilla CHIKARA show last Saturday that just had one match as it was abandoned. As a fan was kidnapped by the bad guys essentially - Condor Security. It was broadcast on a blurry UStream live feed. Fans/CHIKARA employees/hangers on instead of calling the cops decided to walk around the park looking for clues. It was lamer than I can ever possibly hope to describe.

A proper video of it is here with the fans looking for clues edited out:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Skimmed through that video but it looked like a decent way to spend an afternoon, everyone there looks really laid back and cool.

Chris Hero faces Adam Cole for the PWG World Title on Night One of All Star Weekend 10.

Couldnt ask for much better! Hope Cole opens the show trying to get out of the match with a No Compete Clause or something.

• Advertisement

PWG deliver the goods again. Matt Rushmore didnt have a single weak match for me and the main event was great, even though I knew who won. The promo at the end went a little long but otherwise no complaints. Just a shame they only do ~10 shows a year.

Also, yesterday was one year as PWG Champion for Adam Cole. If the Young Bucks make it to mid January, they will also pass the one year mark. They should do, since they arent currently booked to defend on either night of ASW 10 later this month.

Out of interest anyone planning on watching ROH Final Battle on demand when it gets uploaded or CZW Cage of Death this weekend?

rovert wrote: »
    Out of interest anyone planning on watching ROH Final Battle on demand when it gets uploaded or CZW Cage of Death this weekend?

I'd go with COD first. Final Battle doesnt look up to much for me.

Looking forward to Cage of Death alright. Glad that it's a team COD match this year too, much prefer them and judging by the guys in it there's bound to be some ridiculous spots.

Cage of Death for me too. Think I'm done with ROH unless they majorly reboot things, which is quite sad as I used to buy a lot of their dvds between about 2005-11. Steen is wasted there.

• Advertisement

Due to the snow the CZW show seems to be ruined.

Willie Mack, Davey Richards, Johnny Gargano have all cancelled.

They had 3 ROH talents planned for the show however it is unlikely they will make the CZW show after they wrestle at ROH Final Battle also tonight.

Sad.

What a shock. Davey Richards cancels an Indy appearance :pac:

Who was Gargano against? Didnt even know he was on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Final Battle tonight and TLC tommorrow, love these wrestling weekends!

Who was Gargano against? Didnt even know he was on the card.

A surprise it seems.

sockmo wrote: »
    Final Battle tonight and TLC tommorrow, love these wrestling weekends!

Final Battle isn't a live iPPV. Will be uploaded on demand Monday morning US time.

Haven't seen the show yet (work xmas party!) but looks like
    "Sick" Nick Mondo
    made an appearance! Delighted :D

Obviously spoilers involved for Final Battle:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Final Battle isn't a live iPPV. Will be uploaded on demand Monday morning US time.

i was very dissapointed on saturday night when i discovered it wasnt available to purchase, so I watched the Mitb anthology instead!

Smash Wrestling win:

2hey054.png

Hero vs Gulak from COD was a really good match, but Hero didnt seem to be in great shape. He was struggling at times and it wasnt even a fast paced match. Hopefully it's just a case of getting used to long matches again. His performance otherwise was as good as ever. Crowd was crap though. Hero's first major appearance since leaving WWE and they didnt care. The ROH reception was a million times better. They were more excited to see Tommy Dreamer yet again.

gnfnrhead what was worse the Freightrain COD match or the Outlaws Inc Final Battle match?

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead what was worse the Freightrain COD match or the Outlaws Inc Final Battle match?

Freight Train. My first time seeing him and I hope I never see him again. He would actually be a big strike against watching a show. He wasnt helped by being lumped with Greg Excellent but it was downright awful whereas the Outlaw tag was just boring as fcuk. Corino on commentary helped it a bit. They actually got lucky that they didnt do the title switch like many expected. It would have went down horribly. The fans chanting for the match to end was pretty funny too.

Hero vs Gulak from COD was a really good match, but Hero didnt seem to be in great shape. He was struggling at times and it wasnt even a fast paced match. Hopefully it's just a case of getting used to long matches again. His performance otherwise was as good as ever. Crowd was crap though. Hero's first major appearance since leaving WWE and they didnt care. The ROH reception was a million times better. They were more excited to see Tommy Dreamer yet again.

Just watched Hero vs Gulak. It was a good match but my GENUINE advice to Hero if he really wants to be re-signed by WWE and he does is he should instead of getting on the gas, brother is getting a tummy tuck. He has so much loose skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Just finished watching Night 2 of this years BOLA. It's top to bottom a spectacular show. Especially the Young Bucks six person tag.

Just finished watching tonight's Evolve show really great show from top to bottom,Trent Barreta is starting to really shine in the ring and the Bucks six man was really good as was the main with Richards and Fox,i liked Hero's match but thought there was just something lacking from it still a good match well worth getting the replay.

What was the HD feed like?

What was the HD feed like?

Really good and no streaming issues all night.

If anyone wants to watch live free Wrestling the National Pro Wrestling Day event is on here from 6pm:

http://nationalprowrestlingday.com/watch/

The return of CHIKARA is suspected on this show. But forget all that back story and just have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Forgot about this and just caught the last couple mins on a choppy stream. Was that the return?

THE CHIKARA RETURN ANGLE WAS ONE OF FAVOURITE ANGLES OF ALL TIMES.

• Advertisement

Just read a description elsewhere. Hoping the replay will be up soon. Sounds cool. Back in May?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just read a description elsewhere. Hoping the replay will be up soon. Sounds cool. Back in May?

You can watch it now even during the live show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU-BfRKnLc

Go to about the 1hr 56 min mark. Takes a while to get going. If you haven't been following the story go to 2hr 2min 30 sec mark for a massive brawl between every bad guy faction in CHIKARA history vs the current CHIKARA roster. Think WWF vs the Invasion. The crowd goes mental.

Will check it out tomorrow when I get back to my pc. Tablet won't display it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

It was amazing, some solid matches during the show but what an ending!
    3.Archie in the DeLorean with the dry ice almost killed me
    Good solid start to the return. If I remember there is one more Wrestling Is... show and hopefully a WrestleCon show scheduled before 25/5/2014 and Aniversario (maybe) the week after so more of the same to come! So excited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Just started to get in to PWG. Bought some dvds from the sale they had on before Christmas and while it's taken be a while to get round to looking at them, I have to say I'm very impressed.

Haven't seen a poor match yet (obviously some better than others) in the 3 dvds I've way he'd so far and they seem to make sure the shows are fun which is awesome. Look forward to keeping up with the promotion.

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Just started to get in to PWG. Bought some dvds from the sale they had on before Christmas and while it's taken be a while to get round to looking at them, I have to say I'm very impressed.

Haven't seen a poor match yet (obviously some better than others) in the 3 dvds I've way he'd so far and they seem to make sure the shows are fun which is awesome. Look forward to keeping up with the promotion.

PWG are the best promotion out there if you dont care about storylines too much. They pretty much give you the best matches they can every show.

• Advertisement

A few days on and a half dozen Mike Quackenbush interviews later does anyone have any great thoughts about the past year's CHIKARA storyline?

I'm not entirely sure what the point was. It was interesting at first but quickly got boring with those awful videos that were released. It got more interest in the company, but was it really enough to warrant shutting down the whole promotion for so long?

Any links please to a good Quackenbush interview on it all?

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Any links please to a good Quackenbush interview on it all?

His Art of Wrestling show with Colt Cabana:
    http://tsmradio.com/coltcabana/2014/02/05/aow-185-mike-quackenbush/

Greatly enjoyed that one.I genuinely don't understand people in various corners of the internet wigging out over him calling what CHIKARA does as performance art or the fury towards the idea in an indy promotion is not being run as a pure business. When in reality most indies are lucky to break even and more than a far share primarily exist to service the ego of the promoter anyway.

I thought there was a lot of flaws in what he did and how he communicated things but I greatly admire him attempting something different. But ultimately he over asked of fans too much and played with their emotions too strongly. As CHIKARA's senior referee said the story kicked fans in balls several times.

The whole idea of transmedia is really interesting. Remember when viral marketing was new to all of us back when Nine Inch Nails's album launch and WWE's Save Us. 222 campaign were novel experiments?

CHIKARA issued the most succinct possible recap of this year's event on their website:

http://www.chikarapro.com/part-one.php

It is three pages.

For those interested yet intimidated their return show in May is meant to be a "jump on" point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement